Maryland 2022 National Champions

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MoralTerpitude

Re: Maryland 2022

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Well… hopefully Maryland will be wary of every team they play in the tournament. There are no bad teams.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Tillman has had some close calls in the first round before, and I don't think it's in his nature to overlook anyone. I also think this team is too motivated and focused to not take Vermont seriously.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:20 am I think Maryland will have its hands full with Vermont.

Start at face off. Last spring, Burke didn’t do well against Shockey, but he did do well against Weirman. And when Maryland doesn’t control the ball…

Vermont’s attack is seasoned. They have the smarts to figure out holes on a defense.

Their goalie Cornel might be the best goalie Maryland has seen this year.

A Bernhardt is on their sideline.

Feifs is not only an ex-FO coach, he’s a Maryland grad.

I’d be wary if I were Maryland here.
This is everything that was said last year and Maryland won by like…8?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jrn19 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:05 am
Peter Brown wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:20 am I think Maryland will have its hands full with Vermont.

Start at face off. Last spring, Burke didn’t do well against Shockey, but he did do well against Weirman. And when Maryland doesn’t control the ball…

Vermont’s attack is seasoned. They have the smarts to figure out holes on a defense.

6. though maryland had gotten it up to 8 late after vermont had closed to 5 early 4th.

mounts aren't challenging with 20+ turnovers and getting out gb'd. it starts there. getting 18 shots on cage won't cut it. they'll have to play fast without turning it over and that's only if they can get the ball.

even with all the ivies, this 2022 is maryland's tournament. the focus is on them to finish this season. odds are they will imo, but it's sports.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

wgdsr wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:16 am

6. though maryland had gotten it up to 8 late after vermont had closed to 5 early 4th.

mounts aren't challenging with 20+ turnovers and getting out gb'd. it starts there. getting 18 shots on cage won't cut it. they'll have to play fast without turning it over and that's only if they can get the ball.

even with all the ivies, this 2022 is maryland's tournament. the focus is on them to finish this season. odds are they will imo, but it's sports.
2022 Opponent-Adjusted Metrics (per LaxRef)
Offense 43.3% (1st)
Defense 23.1% (2nd)
Face-off 66.6% (1st)
Goaltending 54.1% (15th)
Possessions +10 (1st)
Wierman 65.4% ELO 1673 (4th)
Burke 62.4% ELO 1635 (16th)

2021 Opponent-Adjusted Metrics (per LaxRef)
Offense 40.3% (2nd)
Defense 24.5% (6th)
Face-off 51.9% (27th)
Goaltending: There's an input data error so it's not computing 2021
Possessions +4 (16th)
Wierman 45.2%; ELO 1631 (23rd)
Burke 68.9% ELO 1662 (10th)
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Wheels wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:22 pm

Offense 43.3% (1st)
Defense 23.1% (2nd)
Face-off 66.6% (1st)
Goaltending 54.1% (15th)
Possessions +10 (1st)

Offense 40.3% (2nd)
Defense 24.5% (6th)
Face-off 51.9% (27th)
Possessions +4 (16th)

I’m certainly not betting my house on Vermont winning.
BUT

But you need to see what Burke did against Weirman when they went head to head. Occasionally, one FO guy just owns another FO guy, even if their season statistics wouldn’t suggest it ahead of time. In this instance, Burke is a big kid; Tygh might be a better choice for Maryland if the first five look bad for Weirman. If Weirman does well on the first five, so be it.

Vermont won’t run and gun. If anything, they’ll look to play nearly the full shot clock each possession; their seniors are smart and will take smart shots.

Jared Bernhardt single-handedly made sure his team wasn’t going to lose last year. That was Shockey’s best game; with all those extra possessions, Maryland should have won by much more.

Like I said, Maryland better be prepared for this matchup with Vermont. It’s no gimme by any stretch.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:34 pm

Offense 43.3% (1st)
Defense 23.1% (2nd)
Face-off 66.6% (1st)
Goaltending 54.1% (15th)
Possessions +10 (1st)

Offense 40.3% (2nd)
Defense 24.5% (6th)
Face-off 51.9% (27th)
Possessions +4 (16th)

BUT

But you need to see what Burke did against Weirman when they went head to head. Occasionally, one FO guy just owns another FO guy, even if their season statistics wouldn’t suggest it ahead of time. In this instance, Burke is a big kid; Tygh might be a better choice for Maryland if the first five look bad for Weirman. If Weirman does well on the first five, so be it.

Vermont won’t run and gun. If anything, they’ll look to play nearly the full shot clock each possession; their seniors are smart and will take smart shots.

Jared Bernhardt single-handedly made sure his team wasn’t going to lose last year. That was Shockey’s best game; with all those extra possessions, Maryland should have won by much more.

Like I said, Maryland better be prepared for this matchup with Vermont. It’s no gimme by any stretch.
No doubt that FOGO match-ups matter. For instance, Wierman went 14-30 against Petey LaSalla in the title game. He went 24-36 this year against him. It's definitely going to be interesting to see how the FOGO match-up plays out. UVM also can't replicated their 19 turnover performance like they had in that game last year.

Maryland's complementary lacrosse puts so much pressure on opposing offenses. When you see the Terps rolling on offense, it makes other teams press on offense.

I'm not going to be surprised to see another 17-11 kind of game.
molo

Post by molo »

Gotta like that Catamount double lefty Mac attack. Could be fun for a while.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Here ya go MD fans. Get your old dirty socks and wife/girlfriends towels out for cleanup, some WSJ love from the excellent Jason Gay

Don’t Mess With Maryland Lacrosse
An undefeated men’s team in College Park chases college history, as a legendary women’s program pursues another national title

Aurora Cordingley, left, and Logan Wisnauskas lead Maryland’s lacrosse teams. G FIUME/GETTY IMAGES (2)
Jason Gay hedcutBy Jason GayFollow
May. 12, 2022 11:12 am ET

SAVE

TEXT

Listen to article
Length (6 minutes)

Queue
Earlier this week, Maryland men’s lacrosse coach John Tillman received a text message from a low-key individual who can safely be described as America’s No. 1 lax celebrity superfan:

Bill Belichick.

The New England Patriots coach and known lax obsessive texted Tillman a quick congratulations. He wasn’t the first to notice that the 14-0 Terrapins ran through the regular season undefeated, won the Big Ten tournament, and are now the No. 1 seed in the NCAA Division I tournament.

Advertisement - Scroll to Continue

But it isn’t just that the Terrapins are winning. It’s the way that Tillman’s team is doing it: dominantly, in full control, with speed, style and relentless execution.

NEWSLETTER SIGN-UP
Grapevine

A weekly look at our most colorful, thought-provoking and original feature stories on the business of life.

PREVIEW

SUBSCRIBE
It’s started buzz that these experienced-loaded Terps—who are thick with graduate transfers, and had six players drafted in Tuesday’s Premier Lacrosse League draft, including No. 1 pick Logan Wisnauskas—may be one of the greatest men’s college teams ever, especially if they romp through the Final Four in East Hartford in late May.

Tillman, like all wise coaches, puts earmuffs on the superlative talk. The Terps open their bracket with a date against Vermont on Sunday, May 15, and he’s focused on Vermont.

“We live in a society where, when you win, they give you more credit than you deserve,” Tillman says. “We’re still in the middle of this thing.”

To make his point, Tillman showed his team a recent episode of Tom Brady’s “Man in the Arena” documentary that chronicled the 2007 Patriots, who went undefeated into the Super Bowl, only to lose to the New York Giants.

The lesson was clear: assume nothing.

Maryland lacrosse coach John Tillman has led the Terrapins to a 14-0 season.
PHOTO: RICH BARNES/CSM/ZUMA PRESS
It isn’t the first time Tillman, who arrived at Maryland in 2010 after three seasons at Harvard, has turned to the gridiron to help his lacrosse coaching. In the past he’s made pilgrimages to Belichick’s Patriots, Dabo Swinney’s Clemson Tigers, and Nick Saban’s Alabama Crimson Tide to soak in the culture of successful teams and see what he can apply to his sport.

“You’re looking at everything,” he says. “What is the culture? How do they do their daily business? What are they doing in the weight room? What are their core values?”

(Maryland is also giving back to football: Former Terps lacrosse superstar Jared Bernhardt, who used his final year of eligibility to go to Ferris State to play quarterback, recently signed as a free agent with the NFL’s Atlanta Falcons.)

Tillman wants the Terps to have high standards on and off the field, says senior defenseman Brett Makar. For breakfasts at a team hotel before a game: You better show up with pressed pants, belt on, with shineable shoes, and ‘look presentable,’ ” Makar says.

I ask Makar how Coach Tillman would react if one of his players wandered down for pancakes in pajama bottoms. He laughs.

“He doesn’t have to say anything.” Teammates would handle the fashion foul, he says.

If Tillman needs any further inspiration, he only has to knock on the door of the office next to his in College Park.

That’s where he’ll find Cathy Reese, the celebrated coach of the Maryland women, a legendary program that has won 14 national championships, five under Reese, who also won four straight as a Terps player in the mid-1990s.

Reese’s and Tillman’s teams pulled off the double in 2017, with the men’s and women’s teams winning NCAA titles. When Reese recently won her 300th game coaching, Tillman posted a tribute on Instagram: “Far and away the best lacrosse coach on our campus!”

“I tease her that she’d literally have to start wearing [championship] rings on her toes if she wanted to wear them all,” Tillman says.

“The success of that program, and the coaching staff, is really unparalleled,” says Sheehan Stanwick Burch, the former Georgetown women’s team star who now calls games on ESPN. “They’re on a different level.”

Now Reese is steering another talented team into the playoffs. The 17-1 Maryland women are seeded No. 2 in a tournament that concludes on May 29 at Johns Hopkins’s Homewood Field in Baltimore.

This is right where the Terrapin women normally reside. Reese’s team won a national title in 2019, but then Covid wiped out the 2020 season, and 2021 was a rebuild with a 10-7 record. An influx of graduate transfers (like leading scorer Aurora Cordingley, who arrived from Hopkins) have given a lift to the 2022 team, that trails only undefeated North Carolina in the rankings.

Still, Reese, like Tillman, preaches restraint. She acknowledges that players “are coming to Maryland because they want to compete in championships.” Still, “we try to stay present, stay in the moment with what we’re doing, rather than get ahead of ourselves.”

That Reese was part of a championship tradition as a player only helps, says midfielder Grace Griffin.

“She gets it,” Griffin says. “She’s been in our shoes.”

Cathy Reese recently won her 300th game coaching.
PHOTO: TNS/ZUMA PRESS
Like Tillman, Reese says lacrosse has changed significantly in recent decades. New technology, new rules, enhancements like a shot clock have improved and accelerated play. Great lacrosse talent is no longer confined to mid-Atlantic hotbeds; Stars can be found in programs throughout the country.

“The game’s growing, and more people are playing it, and we’re seeing it at Division I colleges,” Reese says. The expansion is “phenomenal,” the coach says. The women’s national championship will air on ESPN, as will the men’s championship.

Reese—whose high-school senior son, Riley, is set to play for Tillman next season—has been keeping close watch on the undefeated Terrapin men.

It’s hard not to notice what’s happening in College Park.

“They’re so much fun to watch,” Reese says of the men’s team. “My goodness.”

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS

What are your thoughts on college lacrosse?

Write to Jason Gay at [email protected]
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Wheels wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:11 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:34 pm

Offense 43.3% (1st)
Defense 23.1% (2nd)
Face-off 66.6% (1st)
Goaltending 54.1% (15th)
Possessions +10 (1st)

Offense 40.3% (2nd)
Defense 24.5% (6th)
Face-off 51.9% (27th)
Possessions +4 (16th)

BUT

No doubt that FOGO match-ups matter. For instance, Wierman went 14-30 against Petey LaSalla in the title game. He went 24-36 this year against him. It's definitely going to be interesting to see how the FOGO match-up plays out. UVM also can't replicated their 19 turnover performance like they had in that game last year.

Maryland's complementary lacrosse puts so much pressure on opposing offenses. When you see the Terps rolling on offense, it makes other teams press on offense.

I'm not going to be surprised to see another 17-11 kind of game.

I’ll also point out that Vermont has won 10 in a row….their confidence is very high.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:59 pm I’ll also point out that Vermont has won 10 in a row….their confidence is very high.
Um… are you a big Vermont fan?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:00 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:59 pm I’ll also point out that Vermont has won 10 in a row….their confidence is very high.
I like them a lot as a “middle market” program but every team in the playoffs from smaller conferences is usually on a tear at season end rather than stumbling in. St Joes would’ve been on a similar straka except they played a 1 goal game at Penn second to last game of the season.

MD still wins by 8-11
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

UVM is a solid D1 team. I watched them manhandle Manhattan yesterday in BTV, and I also watched Maryland do the same to Rutgers (I get around) in CP over the weekend. Manhattan and Rutgers are two very different (level) teams. But I wouldn’t assume an easy win over UVM. They’re tough kids, good FO and can shoot. But they don’t move the ball and shoot like MD. So I’ll agree with the earlier poster who quoted Beninati ‘the only team who can beat MD is MD’.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Not in the least. Maryland is my second favorite team. But the Terp fans are seemingly looking past a team that is likely to give them fits.

Vermont has a very good FOGO who previously did well against Weirman, a seasoned attack unit which won’t take dumb shots, a very good goalie, two coaches with serious motivation to take down Maryland, and they happen to be riding a 10 game winning streak.

I’d be very careful looking past the Catamounts. This is a team built to pose real problems for the Terps.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:44 pm

Not in the least. Maryland is my second favorite team. But the Terp fans are seemingly looking past a team that is likely to give them fits.

Vermont has a very good FOGO who previously did well against Weirman, a seasoned attack unit which won’t take dumb shots, a very good goalie, two coaches with serious motivation to take down Maryland, and they happen to be riding a 10 game winning streak.

I’d be very careful looking past the Catamounts. This is a team built to pose real problems for the Terps.
Who was looking past Vermont?
Kikin

Post by Kikin »

I do not think Coach Tillman is letting the Terps look past anyone. Not sure where he is getting the " Md is looking past Vermont" thing, perhaps just an opinion. But this is one of (if not the ) best coaches in division 1 lacrosse and he is not the kind of guy who is just going to gloss over any team in the NCAA tournament and certainly not let his team disregard any opponent.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:12 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:44 pm

Who was looking past Vermont?

Uhhhhh, you, for starters.

On the previous page you and PulpExposure are drilling down on the presumed quarterfinal game between the Terps and UVA. To get there, I hate to break it to you, the Terps have a game with Vermont first.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Ah… so I did. Shame on me.
MDralphie

Post by MDralphie »

Peter Peter the Terp unbeliever… Cats are a very good team and will be motivated and well coached, it will not matter. Hard shells will not be cracked. I like the quarter finals against Va. Let’s get it out of the way. Md owes Va. no 7 overtime games, no scoring droughts like ‘11, no goals that aren’t goals, no comebacks… get your tickets, have a seat and enjoy this ride.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

No one is looking past anyone, especially not this year.

Still.
Not much of a comparison, on paper,

Terps versus Vermont.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”