Food thread - All things food-related

General Chatter
SCLaxAttack

Re: Food thread - All things food-related

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:56 am Anyone feeling frivolous?

https://www.delish.com/food/g30267512/m ... n-america/

Wow! The prices and the food look utterly staggering!!

Meanwhile, today am having tacos for Cinco de Mayo.

EAT to live! LIVE TO EAT!
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Brooklyn wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:25 am

Wow! The prices and the food look utterly staggering!!

Meanwhile, today am having tacos for Cinco de Mayo.

EAT to live! LIVE TO EAT!
I'll take tacos any day of the week. Enjoy! GO grab you some Herradura Double Barrel Reposado to wash it down.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

youthathletics wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:50 pm
I'll take tacos any day of the week. Enjoy! GO grab you some Herradura Double Barrel Reposado to wash it down.

Heh, heh. Enjoy your repast.

But no tequila for me ~ have become a teetotaler in my dotage. Had grape juice instead. By the way, I used crunchy pepper bacon as the meat filling in my tacos for brunch. And what's more - am planning for more tacos tonite. Oooom, yummmm!!
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Brooklyn wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:44 pm

But no tequila for me ~ have become a teetotaler in my dotage. Had grape juice instead. By the way, I used crunchy pepper bacon as the meat filling in my tacos for brunch. And what's more - am planning for more tacos tonite. Oooom, yummmm!!
I certainly respect that.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradjaphe/ ... da5317a972
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Wagyu is excellent. Half the most basically here.

The whole suckling pig is the only thing that really piques my interest though.

There’s a comment in the gold leafed dishes that is more appropriate for the political boards but man those look like they should be served at Mar a Lago.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:08 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:44 pm

I certainly respect that.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradjaphe/ ... da5317a972
Lochnegar! Did a tour of it way back during a backpacking trip in my early college years. Right there next to her castle in Scotland. Skimmed the story so don’t know if they mention it but same distillery that makes Dalwhinnie which is more commonly found in the Us than Lochnegar.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Came in looking for ideas on leftovers and already replied on others but…

Got a couple of leftover grilled bratwursts from dinner tonight. Anyone got any good suggestions for what to with them as a leftover meal? Pasta dish? Some type of BBQ? Asian? (Can’t imagine). A soup? Uncut but one or both I believe busted the casing at least a little know saw some “squirting”. Of the brats…to be clear.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:04 pm Came in looking for ideas on leftovers and already replied on others but…

Got a couple of leftover grilled bratwursts from dinner tonight. Anyone got any good suggestions for what to with them as a leftover meal? Pasta dish? Some type of BBQ? Asian? (Can’t imagine). A soup? Uncut but one or both I believe busted the casing at least a little know saw some “squirting”. Of the brats…to be clear.
Grits....grill up some peppers, shred some cheddar cheese, maybe even some grilled shrimp and a fried egg.

quick search: https://spicysouthernkitchen.com/cheese ... d-sausage/
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:06 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:04 pm Came in looking for ideas on leftovers and already replied on others but…

Grits....grill up some peppers, shred some cheddar cheese, maybe even some grilled shrimp and a fried egg.

quick search: https://spicysouthernkitchen.com/cheese ... d-sausage/
Jesus you’d think living in the south for over a decade now I’d have thought of that. Then again I’m not a big grits guy but I will eat them. And with some sausage and cheese, we’ll I guess sausage and cheese improves everything. Thanks .
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Mulligan stew. Cut up the brats, put them into boiling water with chopped veggies, onion, and sweet peppers. Flavor the water with chicken or beef stock, add seasonings. All this yields a meal fit for a King ... of the Road. ♛

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brooklyn wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:56 am

Mulligan stew. Cut up the brats, put them into boiling water with chopped veggies, onion, and sweet peppers. Flavor the water with chicken or beef stock, add seasonings. All this yields a meal fit for a King ... of the Road. ♛
I’m going to try this. Only have two left now but enough with other materials for a midsized pot I think.

Maybe some type of bean too?
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:45 am I’m going to try this. Only have two left now but enough with other materials for a midsized pot I think.

Maybe some type of bean too?

Navy beans would be ideal! This King of Road knows that fer sure:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/00/f1/61 ... a33b8f.jpg

ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Whether fresh or left over, with snausages i like to use them in a regular rotation dish inspired by Portuguese cuisine. That is to mix sausage with seafood. Any firm fish or for a simpler approach you can use shrimp. I start with sautéing red peppers and onion then add other vegetables of your choice like zucchini or cauliflower. Don’t leave out the garlic and if you have it, paprika, preferably the smoked Spanish type called pementon. Then cooked separately you can add an undercooked pasta (finished in the skillet) like rigatoni or penne. Potatoes or over rice is an alternative.

Another option is the bratwurst vein is to simply add to potatoes and onions either pan sautéed or oven roasted.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Ardilla's sounds much better than ours.
But we make a cheap, easy dinner for the kids when we have leftover sausage and can't make a trip to the store.
Heat up and coin-cut the sausage, cook off your favorite pasta, mix in uncooked, diced bell-pepper, dress with a good EVOO, add salt, some red pepper flakes, fresh basil if you have it, garlic, or any favorite Italian seasonings.
Top with a good Parm or Romano. Serve with a good, crusty bread or garlic bread.
Kids happy. Leftovers, gone.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:43 pm Ardilla's sounds much better than ours.
But we make a cheap, easy dinner for the kids when we have leftover sausage and can't make a trip to the store.
Heat up and coin-cut the sausage, cook off your favorite pasta, mix in uncooked, diced bell-pepper, dress with a good EVOO, add salt, some red pepper flakes, fresh basil if you have it, garlic, or any favorite Italian seasonings.
Top with a good Parm or Romano. Serve with a good, crusty bread or garlic bread.
I do a variation of that regularly but typically with either some type of italian sausage or one of those hilshire farms type smoked Turkey sausage or kielbasa. Some ziti/rigatoni/spiral/bow tie type pasta, olive oil, fresh garlic, some type of cheese and chopped spinach. One of my lazy “go tos” so sounds like we are simpatico on that sort of thing.

(my daughter thinks black pepper is “spicy” while my son likes to challenge me on hot sauces though he loses, for now)
ardilla secreta

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:03 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:43 pm Ardilla's sounds much better than ours.
I do a variation of that regularly but typically with either some type of italian sausage or one of those hilshire farms type smoked Turkey sausage or kielbasa. Some ziti/rigatoni/spiral/bow tie type pasta, olive oil, fresh garlic, some type of cheese and chopped spinach. One of my lazy “go tos” so sounds like we are simpatico on that sort of thing.

(my daughter thinks black pepper is “spicy” while my son likes to challenge me on hot sauces though he loses, for now)
If you’re a good father then you need to make this dish for your kids
61D97400-DAB9-4FC9-B60C-55D670952AB4.jpeg
61D97400-DAB9-4FC9-B60C-55D670952AB4.jpeg (161.42 KiB) Viewed 1006 times
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Is that from the Donner party cookbook?
ardilla secreta

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:06 am Is that from the Donner party cookbook?
I look at that dish and think worm pie. Yuck.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ardilla secreta wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:51 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:06 am Is that from the Donner party cookbook?
I look at that dish and think worm pie. Yuck.
I had the same thought. But my kids like carrots and Lima beans and are carnivores at heart. I don’t love sour cream myself-think theres a solution that doesn’t involved any whit cream based item beyond a form of milk? I’m weird don’t like ranch, blue cheese dressing (hard/crumbly is my jam though), sour cream. I’m sure it’s based on repressed memories from my childhood days in the confessional booth with a friendly priest but can’t otherwise explain it.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”