2022 D1 Selection Committee

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: 2022 D1 Selection Committee

Post by Farfromgeneva »

CU77 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:31 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:48 pm
CU77 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:42 pm And in Great Western Lacrosse League until something like 2010. Went undefeated in 2009 and that was only good enough for the #7 seed. Then they lost in the first round to unseeded Maryland.
Wasn’t 2010 the year they made it over GTown and went to the finals losing on a long stick goal to Duke?
Yes. Unseeded. Beat #6 Princeton, #3 Maryland, #7 Cornell, and lost 6-5 to #5 Duke (semifinal winner over #1 UVa) in the final. Good candidate for the most boring final game ever, up until that highlight goal. I had told a retired Irish Catholic priest, huge ND football fan, to watch it. He never forgave me.

But that's the year that ND turned the corner and became a legit power team.
That’s what I was thinking with respect to when did ND become a blue blood.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:38 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:25 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:17 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:14 pm
middleAgedBear wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:11 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:29 pm One of the QACs got the memo:

https://twitter.com/anishespn/status/15 ... 03936?s=21

Crapped on teams that made it because “Blue Bloods” didn’t make it. When did ND become a Blue Blood? ND was a club team in the late 1980s!
I saw this as well. Gave me a chuckle. Also, from my memories ND was a club team in the 90s. Maybe they were just bad.
Probably got the this call “hey Anish….it’s your boss. We are broadcasting the games. You might be discouraging viewership…we paid a hell of a lot of money for this product. Cut it out now or you will be doing Corn Hole with Carc next year!”
Only a blue blood would have an issue with cornhole. :) (in lieu of sarcasm font)

Hell I’ve got customized Hobart cornhole boards
I don’t mind Cornhole…..My grandfather would take me to play horseshoes!
We had one with Kentucky clay in the boxes at a river cabin we used to have in north Georgia a few miles from foot of the Appalachian trail. It was a blast. Until we would get drunk (Pre or early kids) and those throws got a little worse each time. Took a chunk out of my shin once.
My grandfather would take me to play horseshoes as well as fish….Halcyon days.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:42 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:38 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:25 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:17 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:14 pm
middleAgedBear wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:11 pm

Crapped on teams that made it because “Blue Bloods” didn’t make it. When did ND become a Blue Blood? ND was a club team in the late 1980s!
I saw this as well. Gave me a chuckle. Also, from my memories ND was a club team in the 90s. Maybe they were just bad.
Probably got the this call “hey Anish….it’s your boss. We are broadcasting the games. You might be discouraging viewership…we paid a hell of a lot of money for this product. Cut it out now or you will be doing Corn Hole with Carc next year!”
Only a blue blood would have an issue with cornhole. :) (in lieu of sarcasm font)

Hell I’ve got customized Hobart cornhole boards
I don’t mind Cornhole…..My grandfather would take me to play horseshoes!
We had one with Kentucky clay in the boxes at a river cabin we used to have in north Georgia a few miles from foot of the Appalachian trail. It was a blast. Until we would get drunk (Pre or early kids) and those throws got a little worse each time. Took a chunk out of my shin once.
My grandfather would take me to play horseshoes as well as fish….Halcyon days.
I have taken my son fishing twice and caught nothing. Can you resurrect your grandpa to help me help my son? I’ve regaled him of stories of throwing Trout at Syracuse players and coaches and he’s really like to try that with a personally caught fish. (The indoctrination started very very early)
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

To be fair, he isn't calling ND a blue blood. He's divided it into two groups of teams that are missing from this year's tourney: The Blue Bloods (Hopkins, Syracuse, and UNC) and the May fixtures (Duke and ND).
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

The term "blue blood" is sort of silly:

For Hopkins, Maryland and Syracuse, Virginia, it applies, since theses programs have been consistently strong for a century.

The service academies and some of the Ivies might lay claim to "Blue Blood " status.

Duke, UNC and Notre Dame are relatively new to the national stage (although they've played some lacrosse). Duke was not a contender until the '90s (approximately), I think that UNC started to make a splash in the '80s. Notre Dame was, basically, a club team until the late 80s/early 90s. I don't believe that they were particularly strong until the twentieth century.

If I've missed some precise dates or teams, I apologize.
Last edited by faircornell on Tue May 10, 2022 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

ICGrad wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:15 pm

To be fair, he isn't calling ND a blue blood. He's divided it into two groups of teams that are missing from this year's tourney: The Blue Bloods (Hopkins, Syracuse, and UNC) and the May fixtures (Duke and ND).
Ok. Thanks.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

faircornell wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:34 pm The term "blue blood" is sort of silly:

For Hopkins, Maryland and Syracuse, it applies, since theses programs have been consistently strong for a century.

The service academies and some of the Ivies might lay claim to "Blue Blood " status.

Duke, UNC and Notre Dame are relatively new to the national stage (although they've played some lacrosse). Duke was not a contender until the '90s (approximately), I think that UNC started to make a splash in the '80s. Notre Dame was, basically, a club team until the 80s. I don't believe that they were particularly strong until the twentieth century.

UNC? 1982 = 40yrs ago

Didn’t they make the final four all but one year in the 1980s?
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:38 pm
faircornell wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:34 pm The term "blue blood" is sort of silly:

For Hopkins, Maryland and Syracuse, it applies, since theses programs have been consistently strong for a century.

Duke, UNC and Notre Dame are relatively new to the national stage (although they've played some lacrosse). Duke was not a contender until the '90s (approximately), I think that UNC started to make a splash in the '80s. Notre Dame was, basically, a club team until the 80s. I don't believe that they were particularly strong until the twentieth century.

UNC? 1982 = 40yrs ago

I know for a fact they didn't make it either of the back-to-back years Cornell played for the title. The second year (88?) Cornell beat them 6-4 in a high-scoring thriller. Cornell scored all of 1 goal in the second half but made it hold up. I remember Richie Moran marveling about the fact that they had won despite only managing that one second-half goal ("If you had told me we would only score one goal after halftime but still win, I would have called you crazy" or something to that effect). Pretty big upset because Cornell was unseeded and UNC was a top 4 team.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ICGrad wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:45 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:38 pm

UNC? 1982 = 40yrs ago

I know for a fact they didn't make it either of the back-to-back years Cornell played for the title. The second year (88?) Cornell beat them 6-4 in a high-scoring thriller. Cornell scored all of 1 goal in the second half but made it hold up. I remember Richie Moran marveling about the fact that they had won despite only managing that one second-half goal ("If you had told me we would only score one goal after halftime but still win, I would have called you crazy" or something to that effect). Pretty big upset because Cornell was unseeded and UNC was a top 4 team.
Got it so googled quick. Two years. Quarters in 76-77 then FF 1980-1986,1989-1993. I’d say in 2022 that’s blue blood.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:02 pm I’ve regaled him of stories of throwing Trout at Syracuse players and coaches and he’s really like to try that with a personally caught fish. (The indoctrination started very very early)
That is dad of the year territory. I took my daughter to UVa-Maryland at Audi Field this year, and she loved every minute of it… but they also had free snacks for the club seats, so that might have had something to do with it. She has shown genuine interest in Terps lax games though…
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:02 pm Got it so googled quick. Two years. Quarters in 76-77 then FF 1980-1986,1989-1993. I’d say in 2022 that’s blue blood.
I'd call it blue blood.

And yeah those 3 are missing, but with Maryland, Cornell, Virginia and Princeton, I don't think the tourney is without the blue blood element.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

ICGrad wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:18 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:02 pm Got it so googled quick. Two years. Quarters in 76-77 then FF 1980-1986,1989-1993. I’d say in 2022 that’s blue blood.
I'd call it blue blood.

And yeah those 3 are missing, but with Maryland, Cornell, Virginia and Princeton, I don't think the tourney is without the blue blood element.
Well said, IC Grad. UNC has a great program, no doubt. It's just me, but I have trouble calling any program a "blue blood" that did not have some level of accomplishment with wooden sticks. (I also didn't know that you could take pitchers of beer out if the Noyes pub).
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I'd call it blue blood.

Cornell is a blue blood. They just tend to prefer to pretend the 90s didn’t happen.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

faircornell wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:30 pm
I'd call it blue blood.

Well said, IC Grad. UNC has a great program, no doubt. It's just me, but I have trouble calling any program a "blue blood" that did not have some level of accomplishment with wooden sticks. (I also didn't know that you could take pitchers of beer out if the Noyes pub).
If Hobart takes their conference AQ in a given year do they count as blue blood?
a fan

Post by a fan »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:09 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:02 pm I’ve regaled him of stories of throwing Trout at Syracuse players and coaches and he’s really like to try that with a personally caught fish. (The indoctrination started very very early)
That is dad of the year territory.
+1. Throwing trout is just.....hilarious.

Who the F came up with that one?
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

For Hopkins, Maryland and Syracuse, Virginia, it applies, since theses programs have been consistently strong for a century.

Duke, UNC and Notre Dame are relatively new to the national stage (although they've played some lacrosse). Duke was not a contender until the '90s (approximately), I think that UNC started to make a splash in the '80s. Notre Dame was, basically, a club team until the late 80s/early 90s. I don't believe that they were particularly strong until the twentieth century.

21st century?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Duplicate.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:39 pm
faircornell wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:30 pm
I'd call it blue blood.

If Hobart takes their conference AQ in a given year do they count as blue blood?
In my book, Hobart is a true blue blood. Its history, its great players, and their contributions to the game after graduation all attest to that.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

PizzaSnake wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:16 pm

21st century?
:lol: :lol: :lol: .... fair point... just my perspective, I'm not asking for buy-in.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:09 pm
wgdsr wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:51 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:26 pm
Homer wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:05 pm
Gobigred wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 5:46 pm Notre Dame's wins over Duke were devalued when the committee drilled down to see what underpinned Duke's seemingly too-high RPI. They found Duke had three losses against RPI 21+ teams. Look closely. That's part of an important selection criterion. The committee didn't make that criterion up. As a result, buh bye Duke. Therefore, buh bye ND's two best wins.
But I think the concern (at least, the reasonable, non-whiny version) is that that's exactly what the committee did with Notre Dame. Which would not be following the criteria.

The criteria say "when considering Team X for selection, value their win over Team Y according to Team Y's RPI ranking." That's not at all the same thing as "value their win over Team Y according to your independent assessment of Team Y applying all the selection criteria, as you would when considering Team Y for selection."

More broadly, I think something that's maybe getting lost with people splitting into opposing camps on this is that it's entirely possible to think the decision to leave Duke out was perfectly reasonable and consistent with the criteria, while finding the decision on Notre Dame iffy at best. That's basically my view: the committee got it right with Duke, then seemingly got sucked into some sort of weird circular reasoning where they treated their decision on Duke as dictating what to do with ND, and came out with a decision that doesn't make a ton of logical sense.
This is exactly the conclusion I came to.
it makes exactly zero sense. which is what you get as the committee ties itself into knots explaining contradictory reasoning. not the 1st time, it's time honored.

harvard is in, then nd should be in in any logical world. discarding duke wins is asinine.

they seriously would be bettter off saying "that's who we chose". it'll change now again year to year and no one will know what's up ahead of time, so why bother?
It’s a shame ND is at home while teams they defeated this season are getting ready for the tournament…. The Fighting Irish dominated all of those tournament teams down the final six games of the season. They was robbed.
you sound like a big duke fan. who beat 6 teams going to the tournament. a new metric?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”