POLL: How many Ivy teams win in Round 1 of the NCAA Tournament?

D1 Mens Lacrosse

How Many Ivy Teams Win In Round 1?

0 (Zero, Nada, Zilch)
1%
1%
21%
26%
38%
9%
3%

Total votes: 68

joewillie78

Re: POLL: How many Ivy teams win in Round 1 of the NCAA Tournament?

Post by joewillie78 »

HooDat wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:18 pm
jersey shore lax wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:01 am IMHO ND would be favorites over all 12 of these teams - maybe UPenn would be a pick 'em
Chousnake wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:42 am From everything I've been reading and hearing about ND, and based on my eye test, ND would absolutely roll through this field to win the championship. They might be the best team to lace lax cleats in the last 20-30 years. Their players are all 7 feet tall, 250 pounds, run like the wind and shoot lightning bolts out of their asses. Just an unbelievable assembly of talent and lax IQ. /s
ICGrad wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:50 am I think we've all conceded that ND is the de-facto champion at this point. But this thread isn't about that.

Focus, people, focus...
perhaps we need an "All the Reasons Why ND would have Won that Tournament Game" thread...? :lol:
That's an easy one. Obviously the reason ND would win the tournament is that the 3 EXPERT MEATBALLS have concluded that they are All-world and would easily demolish MD and of course All the Ivies.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

jersey shore lax wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:32 pm I do not think ND would win this tournament, I just have a real problem with one conference getting their 5th and 6th best team in and I don't care if it is ACC, Big !0 or The Ivy leagues. .
Not clear to me why membership in a league should be a barrier causing a team with a better resume than a team in another league to be passed over in favor of that other team. As long as every league with sufficient number of members gets its champion into the tournament (no matter how weak the league or its champion's overall resume is), filling out the rest of the field should be based on each remaining team's record on the field.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

jersey shore lax wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:32 pm ... I believe ND would be favorites over every Ivy this week... if they were playing any of the 12 teams in this conversation this week than they would be favorite.
I hear this. It's too bad when a team firing on all cylinders gets left out based on their earlier season games but... A marathon is 26.2 miles, not just how good a team looks in the final 6.2 miles. You gotta finish strong but not at the expense of the earlier 20 miles.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
jersey shore lax

Post by jersey shore lax »

Gobigred wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:50 pm
jersey shore lax wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:32 pm I do not think ND would win this tournament, I just have a real problem with one conference getting their 5th and 6th best team in and I don't care if it is ACC, Big !0 or The Ivy leagues. .
Not clear to me why membership in a league should be a barrier causing a team with a better resume than a team in another league to be passed over in favor of that other team. As long as every league with sufficient number of members gets its champion into the tournament (no matter how weak the league or its champion's overall resume is), filling out the rest of the field should be based on each remaining team's record on the field.
probably because their is not enough out of conference games to get a better feel for who should be in, personally I would have rather seen Jacksonville and Army get in over Duke, ND and the 5th and 6th best team in the Ivy but that is just a personal preference.
Laxallday

Post by Laxallday »

joewillie78 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:48 am
Matnum PI wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:44 am Ivy wins
Richmond @ Penn (3)
Saint Joseph's @ Yale (4)
Boston U @ Princeton (5)
Ohio State @ Cornell (7)

Toss-ups
Harvard @ Rutgers (6)
Virginia @ Brown (8)
I actually think that a well rested Harvard team could pull 1 of the first upsets in the tournament. Remember, their last loss I believe was an unbelievable OT loss, where they played awesome.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Which aspect of their team do you think outperforms Rutgers?
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

jersey shore lax wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:05 pm
probably because their is not enough out of conference games to get a better feel for who should be in, personally I would have rather seen Jacksonville and Army get in over Duke, ND and the 5th and 6th best team in the Ivy but that is just a personal preference.
Yes, you've said that same thing now a second time and it's as illogical as it was the first time. Brown and Harvard performed better on the field than Jacksonville and Army, so why should they be denied their earned NCAA slots in favor of those teams? Because they play in a stronger league this year? Really?
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

We live in a world of Equal Outcomes....don't we?
jersey shore lax

Post by jersey shore lax »

Gobigred wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:43 pm
jersey shore lax wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:05 pm
Yes, you've said that same thing now a second time and it's as illogical as it was the first time. Brown and Harvard performed better on the field than Jacksonville and Army, so why should they be denied their earned NCAA slots in favor of those teams? Because they play in a stronger league this year? Really?
opinion and eye test has nothing to do with logical, I did not say that they should be in, only I would rather that they were in. IMO one conference should not represent 33% of the field - and since none of them have a play in game than the percentage goes to 37.5%. I also think that the play in games should be between the last four at large teams and all AQ teams should play next Saturday, nothing to do with logic it is just what I would like to see. In football the 6th best team in the NFC east might be better than every team in the AFC west but they do not make the tournament, you can do that in a sport where everybody plays the same number of games and the league sets the schedule not the coaches but I prefer that.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Gobigred wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:43 pm Yes, you've said that same thing now a second time and it's as illogical as it was the first time. Brown and Harvard performed better on the field than Jacksonville and Army, so why should they be denied their earned NCAA slots in favor of those teams? Because they play in a stronger league this year? Really?
Army 12-4 / 75% (beat Cornell, split with BU, lost to Lehigh and Rutgers, navy loss really stings)
Jacksonville 14-3 / 82% (beat Duke, beat St. Johns, split with Richmond, bad losses to Utah and Hop)
Harvard 8-4 / 67% (beat Princeton, beat BU, lost to tosu, Cornell, Penn & Yale)

Princeton win for Harvard looks very good, and no real head-scratcher losses, but not sure I think you can definitively say Harvard performed better on the field with that lower win%. If Harvard plays 4-5 more games to get even with the other teams, who knows what kind of weird loss they might post - they're 20-yr olds...

Not sure how I would end up "voting" if I were on the committee, but I think I would have leaned toward Army or Jacksonville over Harvard.

These discussions are how we fill the time between the selection and game play. I'm just looking forward to the games. With the exception of UMD, the parity in this post-season is unprecedented - should be some fantastic lacrosse games!
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

HooDat wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:07 pm
Gobigred wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:43 pm Yes, you've said that same thing now a second time and it's as illogical as it was the first time. Brown and Harvard performed better on the field than Jacksonville and Army, so why should they be denied their earned NCAA slots in favor of those teams? Because they play in a stronger league this year? Really?
Army 12-4 / 75% (beat Cornell, split with BU, lost to Lehigh and Rutgers, navy loss really stings)
Jacksonville 14-3 / 82% (beat Duke, beat St. Johns, split with Richmond, bad losses to Utah and Hop)
Harvard 8-4 / 67% (beat Princeton, beat BU, lost to tosu, Cornell, Penn & Yale)

Princeton win for Harvard looks very good, and no real head-scratcher losses, but not sure I think you can definitively say Harvard performed better on the field with that lower win%. If Harvard plays 4-5 more games to get even with the other teams, who knows what kind of weird loss they might post - they're 20-yr olds...

Not sure how I would end up "voting" if I were on the committee, but I think I would have leaned toward Army or Jacksonville over Harvard.

These discussions are how we fill the time between the selection and game play. I'm just looking forward to the games. With the exception of UMD, the parity in this post-season is unprecedented - should be some fantastic lacrosse games!
When did St Johns become a quality win?

(Assuming you meant beat denver from the big East)
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

I think the game with UVA could go either way. However, Brown is 2-1 vs. UVA since 2016. Brown lit them up in 2016, then split 1-goal games in the other 2 matchups. Stevenson-Pincince will be loaded with Brown fans. It will be nuts. There's some bad blood with the coach-stealing Cavaliers. If The People's Goalie shows up, and Aughavin, McLane and co come prepared, Brown can win this. It will not be a friendly environment for UVA. Assume UVA/MD 2nd round at your own risk.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

middleAgedBear wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:32 pm I think the game with UVA could go either way. However, Brown is 2-1 vs. UVA since 2016. Brown lit them up in 2016, then split 1-goal games in the other 2 matchups. Stevenson-Pincince will be loaded with Brown fans. It will be nuts. There's some bad blood with the coach-stealing Cavaliers. If The People's Goalie shows up, and Aughavin, McLane and co come prepared, Brown can win this. It will not be a friendly environment for UVA. Assume UVA/MD 2nd round at your own risk.
I certainly don't. Brown is a very, very hard match-up for UVA. Hot goalies have been the Hoo's krytonite.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

HooDat wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:35 pm
middleAgedBear wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:32 pm I think the game with UVA could go either way. However, Brown is 2-1 vs. UVA since 2016. Brown lit them up in 2016, then split 1-goal games in the other 2 matchups. Stevenson-Pincince will be loaded with Brown fans. It will be nuts. There's some bad blood with the coach-stealing Cavaliers. If The People's Goalie shows up, and Aughavin, McLane and co come prepared, Brown can win this. It will not be a friendly environment for UVA. Assume UVA/MD 2nd round at your own risk.
I certainly don't. Brown is a very, very hard match-up for UVA. Hot goalies have been the Hoo's krytonite.
Well, you watch more games and pay more attention than most! :D. I expect it to be a close game and a battle. Both sides will be all-in.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”