POLL: How many Ivy teams win in Round 1 of the NCAA Tournament?

D1 Mens Lacrosse

How Many Ivy Teams Win In Round 1?

0 (Zero, Nada, Zilch)
1%
1%
21%
26%
38%
9%
3%

Total votes: 68

CU77

Re: POLL: How many Ivy teams win in Round 1 of the NCAA Tournament?

Post by CU77 »

1766 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:22 am Ohio St beat ND head to head.

We are witnessing peak ND fanboy love.
1766 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:03 am Ohio St. will handle Cornell fairly easily.
Cornell beat Ohio St head to head.

We are witnessing peak B1G fanboy love.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

jersey shore lax wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:01 am
Hoxwurth wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:56 am Ivy strongly favored
Yale over St. Joe's
Penn over Richmond -- assuming Penn is healthy
Princeton over Boston

Slight Ivy Favor
Cornell over Ohio State

Opponent strongly favored
Rutgers over Harvard
Virginia over Brown

Penn has looked to be the best team in the IL recently, but Richmond is probably underrated. If Penn is healthy, they could be playing on Memorial Day.

Ohio State v. Cornell is hard because I think OSU may be a decent team. Slight edge to Cornell, I think.

Virginia should be favored, but the travel factor combined with the goalie situation gives Brown a chance.

At this time of year, it's worth remembering that preseason expectations are often excellent predictors of postseason success. The preseason rankings favor Yale, Penn, Cornell, and Princeton.
IMHO ND would be favorites over all 12 of these teams - maybe UPenn would be a pick 'em
From everything I've been reading and hearing about ND, and based on my eye test, ND would absolutely roll through this field to win the championship. They might be the best team to lace lax cleats in the last 20-30 years. Their players are all 7 feet tall, 250 pounds, run like the wind and shoot lightning bolts out of their asses. Just an unbelievable assembly of talent and lax IQ. /s
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

CU77 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:42 am
1766 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:22 am Ohio St beat ND head to head.

We are witnessing peak ND fanboy love.
1766 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:03 am Ohio St. will handle Cornell fairly easily.
Cornell beat Ohio St head to head.

We are witnessing peak B1G fanboy love.
I'm honestly a bit worried. Cornell is down 4-5 starters since that game.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

jersey shore lax wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:01 am IMHO ND would be favorites over all 12 of these teams - maybe UPenn would be a pick 'em
I think we've all conceded that ND is the de-facto champion at this point. But this thread isn't about that.

Focus, people, focus...
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

Chousnake wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:42 am
From everything I've been reading and hearing about ND, and based on my eye test, ND would absolutely roll through this field to win the championship. They might be the best team to lace lax cleats in the last 20-30 years. Their players are all 7 feet tall, 250 pounds, run like the wind and shoot lightning bolts out of their asses. Just an unbelievable assembly of talent and lax IQ. /s
Well, in the selection show, it was stated that this is probably the best ND team in franchise history. And to think, their best team in franchise history wasn't able to equal the quality of the teams like Harvard and Ohio State, who were deemed to have better resumes.

Wow, what a loaded field this year!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

ICGrad wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:50 am
jersey shore lax wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:01 am IMHO ND would be favorites over all 12 of these teams - maybe UPenn would be a pick 'em
I think we've all conceded that ND is the de-facto champion at this point.
Totally Agree !
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

ICGrad wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:50 am
I think we've all conceded that ND is the de-facto champion at this point.
That would be a first.

:oops: :lol:

Post by 1766 »

rolldodge wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:29 am
What are the matchups you see that favor Ohio State? I haven't had the chance to watch them much this year.
Their goalie is playing much better. Their close defense is solid. You can attack their shorties up top but Cornell's strength is their attack. They will have some success there but they are going to have to carry the day. The bigger issue is faceoffs and Cornell's defense. OSU will win faceoffs, and they will sit on the ball and work clock with their constant two man games. It's tiring defending that constantly. Overall, Cornell has a great attack with some real nice pieces, but I believe OSU is the more complete team.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

1766 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:26 am
What are the matchups you see that favor Ohio State? I haven't had the chance to watch them much this year.
Their goalie is playing much better. Their close defense is solid. You can attack their shorties up top but Cornell's strength is their attack. They will have some success there but they are going to have to carry the day. The bigger issue is faceoffs and Cornell's defense. OSU will win faceoffs, and they will sit on the ball and work clock with their constant two man games. It's tiring defending that constantly. Overall, Cornell has a great attack with some real nice pieces, but I believe OSU is the more complete team.
Thanks. I can see this being a one goal game and highly dependent on goalie and FO play, as you noted. OSU's defensive efficiency is 44th to Cornell's 41st so not sure they have much of an advantage there.

Post by 1766 »

rolldodge wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:32 am
1766 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:26 am
Thanks. I can see this being a one goal game and highly dependent on goalie and FO play, as you noted. OSU's defensive efficiency is 44th to Cornell's 41st so not sure they have much of an advantage there.
My thoughts there are the strengths of where their defenses are. OSU is soft in midfield defense but their close guys are pretty good. I do think that is an advantage for Cornell but not a huge one, and that is the strength of the team. You'd like to attack OSU from the midfield.

The biggest challenge as I see it will be faceoffs and OSU grinding the game down. That is a strength of theirs. Cornell will have to limit faceoff losses which I think will be a challenge for them.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

Chousnake wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:42 am
jersey shore lax wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:01 am
Hoxwurth wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:56 am Ivy strongly favored
Yale over St. Joe's
Penn over Richmond -- assuming Penn is healthy
Princeton over Boston

Slight Ivy Favor
Cornell over Ohio State

Opponent strongly favored
Rutgers over Harvard
Virginia over Brown

Penn has looked to be the best team in the IL recently, but Richmond is probably underrated. If Penn is healthy, they could be playing on Memorial Day.

Ohio State v. Cornell is hard because I think OSU may be a decent team. Slight edge to Cornell, I think.

Virginia should be favored, but the travel factor combined with the goalie situation gives Brown a chance.

At this time of year, it's worth remembering that preseason expectations are often excellent predictors of postseason success. The preseason rankings favor Yale, Penn, Cornell, and Princeton.
IMHO ND would be favorites over all 12 of these teams - maybe UPenn would be a pick 'em
Too bad they didn't unleash those lightning bolts in their four losses to tournament teams. 8-) No second chances with this committee.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Chousnake wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:46 am I'm honestly a bit worried. Cornell is down 4-5 starters since that game.
Honestly, me too. And OSU has that experience to build off of, to game plan how to counter things Cornell was doing. Of course, the same is true of Cornell, but I always feel like the loser of the first game has a bit of a mental advantage in the second.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

CU77 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:38 am
Chousnake wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:46 am I'm honestly a bit worried. Cornell is down 4-5 starters since that game.
Honestly, me too. And OSU has that experience to build off of, to game plan how to counter things Cornell was doing. Of course, the same is true of Cornell, but I always feel like the loser of the first game has a bit of a mental advantage in the second.
Oh, I am definitely worried. OSU is a very solid complete team, and Cornell will have to play out of their skin to win this game.
That being said, they have played actually very well the last 2 games against 2 GREAT teams in Princeton and Yale, and neither of those games were at the Kopf.
Connor showed especially in the Princeton game that he knows how to get his team ready in must win situations as I felt the Princeton game was a must win to get to the Dance.

AND most importantly, Joewillie78 can't make the 230 game time and put the ultimate kabosh on the Big Red.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
CU88

Post by CU88 »

CU77 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:38 am
That is reasonable, and on that basis, I am going to extrapolate some extra motivation for Big Red to revenge the first round loss back in 2008; 14 years ago today.
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

I've got 3:

Princeton over BU
Yale over SJU (although Zach Cole could really tilt the field for SJU)
Penn over UR

The 3 losses I have...

OSU over Cornell (the Big Red have really hit a wall, even in a rematch at Cornell, Cornell just looks tired)
UVA over Brown (similar styles, one team has much better athletes...don't think it will be close)
RU over Harvard (RU's experience wins the day here...Harvard is just happy to be there)

I could be wrong about all of these, of course.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Chousnake wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:42 am From everything I've been reading and hearing about ND, and based on my eye test, ND would absolutely roll through this field to win the championship. They might be the best team to lace lax cleats in the last 20-30 years. Their players are all 7 feet tall, 250 pounds, run like the wind and shoot lightning bolts out of their asses. Just an unbelievable assembly of talent and lax IQ. /s
ICGrad wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:50 am I think we've all conceded that ND is the de-facto champion at this point. But this thread isn't about that.

Focus, people, focus...
perhaps we need an "All the Reasons Why ND would have Won that Tournament Game" thread...? :lol:
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
jersey shore lax

Post by jersey shore lax »

HooDat wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:18 pm
Chousnake wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:42 am From everything I've been reading and hearing about ND, and based on my eye test, ND would absolutely roll through this field to win the championship. They might be the best team to lace lax cleats in the last 20-30 years. Their players are all 7 feet tall, 250 pounds, run like the wind and shoot lightning bolts out of their asses. Just an unbelievable assembly of talent and lax IQ. /s
ICGrad wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:50 am I think we've all conceded that ND is the de-facto champion at this point. But this thread isn't about that.

Focus, people, focus...
perhaps we need an "All the Reasons Why ND would have Won that Tournament Game" thread...? :lol:
I do not think ND would win this tournament, I just have a real problem with one conference getting their 5th and 6th best team in and I don't care if it is ACC, Big !0 or The Ivy leagues. I am personally a ND hater, root against them in any and every sport but based on how teams are playing now, I believe ND would be favorites over every Ivy this week. My argument is not about them not getting in based on the full resume and full season they probably did not earn it. My argument that if they were playing any of the 12 teams in this conversation this week than they would be favorite.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

HooDat wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:18 pm perhaps we need an "All the Reasons Why ND would have Won that Tournament Game" thread...? :lol:
I bet it would eclipse the Hopkins 2023 thread in page count by the end of the week.
drunkmonkey30

Post by drunkmonkey30 »

1766 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:36 am
My thoughts there are the strengths of where their defenses are. OSU is soft in midfield defense but their close guys are pretty good. I do think that is an advantage for Cornell but not a huge one, and that is the strength of the team. You'd like to attack OSU from the midfield.

The biggest challenge as I see it will be faceoffs and OSU grinding the game down. That is a strength of theirs. Cornell will have to limit faceoff losses which I think will be a challenge for them.
Well, sometimes match-ups matter, even at the FO X. Cornell got the better of them in the first game: 16 out of 29. AP will have to have another stellar day.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

jersey shore lax wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:32 pm I do not think ND would win this tournament, I just have a real problem with one conference getting their 5th and 6th best team in and I don't care if it is ACC, Big !0 or The Ivy leagues. I am personally a ND hater, root against them in any and every sport but based on how teams are playing now, I believe ND would be favorites over every Ivy this week. My argument is not about them not getting in based on the full resume and full season they probably did not earn it. My argument that if they were playing any of the 12 teams in this conversation this week than they would be favorite.
And I'm confident Cornell would have smacked the crap put of both ND and Hopkins (the two teams they were snubbed for) back in 2019, had they been given the chance.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”