D1 Mens Lacrosse
Kismet

Re: 2022 NCAA Mens LAX tournament

Post by Kismet »

As they say, past performance is no guarantee of future results. :D :lol:
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Kismet wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:23 pm As they say, past performance is no guarantee of future results. :D :lol:
Except in government contracting…😂
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Lax3 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:32 pm Let’s be real here. The reason why so many lacrosse fans – or at least ACC lacrosse fans – are upset about the NCAA tournament choices is that we all know unequivocally that the ACC has the most talent so there is outrage that only one ACC team is in the tournament. Every year the ACC wins the famous Inside Lacrosse “best recruiting classes.” Every year the number of five-star and four-star players go to ACC schools. Nothing new here, right? Been that way forever in every sport. The best go to the historically good/great programs.

But guess what? Those teams have to win. They have to play tougher schedules. They have to play more games. They have to travel. Duke – stop losing to lesser teams in February, especially when you have a one-month advantage over the Ivies to say nothing of your weather advantage over the rest of the northeast. Notre Dame – stop using location as a crutch for not playing more games. Your school has an endowment of $18.1 billion – spend some more money to travel. Distance doesn’t seem to bother Denver, Utah, or Air Force – they each played 14/15 games to Notre Dame’s 12 games. UNC – play better with all of the five-star talent that you have on that squad. You have Chris Gray and go 8-6.

We all know that this year is likely an anomaly but this whole “eye test” argument is completely absurd. It translates to “we have more talent so we should be in the playoffs.” No. It means you have more talent and you did far less with that talent than other teams did.

A famous movie quote applies here … "You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting." Play more games. Play tougher games. Win more games. Pretty simple.

And please stop whining. It is beneath you.
I cannot for the LIFE of my figure out why in the world ND does not play 15 games. It's the strangest thing in Men's D1 lacrosse. They ALWAYS start 2-3 weeks later than everyone else, play 1 or 2 MAX big OOC games, and the rest inferior regional opponents like Detroit Mercy outside of the ACC. It gives them little to NO margin for error. They don't change this strategy soon they are going to be in big trouble moving forward. It has nothing to do with $$, I personally think it's some outdated strategy that Corrigan institutes. It's outdated, time to move on, bottom-line!

Joe
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:42 pm
Kismet wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:23 pm As they say, past performance is no guarantee of future results. :D :lol:
Except in government contracting…😂
And local elections these days if you look at political maps.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

How about the Virginia / Brown first round matchup? Tiffany vs his former team. Any thoughts on matchups / outcomes?
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

rolldodge wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:33 am How about the Virginia / Brown first round matchup? Tiffany vs his former team. Any thoughts on matchups / outcomes?
Brown at home is an advantage for Brown. Virginia has had numerous injuries to key personnel so a question is how recovered is Virginia? At full strength, The Wahoos have more talent and depth most everywhere. If Virginia is caught looking past Brown at a Maryland rematch, they lose. Don’t think that happens as Brown upset Virginia the last time out. There is more intrigue and connections to this game than Lars being the former Brown coach. Daly is a fine coach and Virginia OC, Sean Kerwin, was OC on Daly’s staff at Tufts. It should be a great matchup………
rcolter

Post by rcolter »

rolldodge wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:33 am How about the Virginia / Brown first round matchup? Tiffany vs his former team. Any thoughts on matchups / outcomes?
Think we (I say we like I'm on the team :? ) need a big day from Nunes here. He hasn't been super consistent this year but personally I believe his ceiling is higher than Rode's, although his "floor" is lower as well - if that makes any sense. Certainly a daunting order for a true freshman to come up big in his first every playoff game but that's also what you dream of as a kid! Certainly excited for him. Another interesting aspect will be covering Aughavin. I'm curious to see what Wayer's status is as he was apparently injured but has been getting some limited shifts so maybe still not at 100 percent? Bower and Whalen have done a great job filling in this year but going to need a strong game from the rope unit as well.

With all that being said I'm just beyond excited for this game. All the story lines around this game with Lars coming home, Ivy vs ACC, etc has made this game extra interesting for better or for worse. Hopefully the Hoos can pull it out and give me a good birthday present :D
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

rcolter wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:09 am
Think we (I say we like I'm on the team :? ) need a big day from Nunes here. He hasn't been super consistent this year but personally I believe his ceiling is higher than Rode's, although his "floor" is lower as well - if that makes any sense. Certainly a daunting order for a true freshman to come up big in his first every playoff game but that's also what you dream of as a kid! Certainly excited for him. Another interesting aspect will be covering Aughavin. I'm curious to see what Wayer's status is as he was apparently injured but has been getting some limited shifts so maybe still not at 100 percent? Bower and Whalen have done a great job filling in this year but going to need a strong game from the rope unit as well.

With all that being said I'm just beyond excited for this game. All the story lines around this game with Lars coming home, Ivy vs ACC, etc has made this game extra interesting for better or for worse. Hopefully the Hoos can pull it out and give me a good birthday present :D
You are on the team 👍
rcolter

Post by rcolter »

10stone5 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:11 am

You are on the team 👍
I'm not so sure :lol: I'll meet somewhere in the middle with "part of the Uva lacrosse community" ;)
Hoxwurth

Post by Hoxwurth »

Virginia has had so many injuries this season. Moore, Shellenberger, Saustad, Conner, Wayer, LaSalla, and Kastner to name a few. That's 2/3 of the starting attack, 2/3 of the starting defense, the starting FO guy, and more.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Hoxwurth wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:24 am

Virginia has had so many injuries this season. Moore, Shellenberger, Saustad, Conner, Wayer, LaSalla, and Kastner to name a few. That's 2/3 of the starting attack, 2/3 of the starting defense, the starting FO guy, and more.
Yes, and that is the shame in the Cavs quest for a three-peat.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

10stone5 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:27 am
Hoxwurth wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:24 am

Yes, and that is the shame in the Cavs quest for a three-peat.
On the other hand, depending on the types of injuries, we could see a rejuvenated team after the 15 or so days off. You have to beat Maryland one way or another, doesn't really matter if its the quarterfinal or the final. IMO, they are really missing Conners in the middle of the field (midfielder of the year -- how could they not?) and the D midfield will need to step up. Also will need to find a way to break down defenses from the midfield -- the teams going forward will have the talent to be able to limit the attack. Moore and Schellenberger can put this team on their back, but will it be enough.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Ohio State / Cornell
Brown / Virginia
Yale / St Joes
Penn / Richmond
Rutgers / Harvard
Princeton / Boston U

This has to be in the discussion for most competitive first round of all time. Whats the all time record for first round upsets?
Jlax92

Post by Jlax92 »

If Maryland faces UVA and beats them they will go all the way. I don’t know if any other team can match up with them for four quarters. Maybe Gtown but they haven’t had a Maryland caliber team all year.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

2014, there were 4 first round upsets.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Bryant beating Cuse being one of the biggest in modern history.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Jlax92 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:22 am If Maryland faces UVA and beats them they will go all the way. I don’t know if any other team can match up with them for four quarters. Maybe Gtown but they haven’t had a Maryland caliber team all year.
If Yale gets there and brings their perfect game...maybe. They're deeper and perhaps more balanced than Penn?...despite their last meeting?
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Lax3 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:32 pm Let’s be real here. The reason why so many lacrosse fans – or at least ACC lacrosse fans – are upset about the NCAA tournament choices is that we all know unequivocally that the ACC has the most talent so there is outrage that only one ACC team is in the tournament. Every year the ACC wins the famous Inside Lacrosse “best recruiting classes.” Every year the number of five-star and four-star players go to ACC schools. Nothing new here, right? Been that way forever in every sport. The best go to the historically good/great programs.

But guess what? Those teams have to win. They have to play tougher schedules. They have to play more games. They have to travel. Duke – stop losing to lesser teams in February, especially when you have a one-month advantage over the Ivies to say nothing of your weather advantage over the rest of the northeast. Notre Dame – stop using location as a crutch for not playing more games. Your school has an endowment of $18.1 billion – spend some more money to travel. Distance doesn’t seem to bother Denver, Utah, or Air Force – they each played 14/15 games to Notre Dame’s 12 games. UNC – play better with all of the five-star talent that you have on that squad. You have Chris Gray and go 8-6.

We all know that this year is likely an anomaly but this whole “eye test” argument is completely absurd. It translates to “we have more talent so we should be in the playoffs.” No. It means you have more talent and you did far less with that talent than other teams did.

A famous movie quote applies here … "You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting." Play more games. Play tougher games. Win more games. Pretty simple.

And please stop whining. It is beneath you.
Just wondering, what a "lesser" team is ? And, this IS this season.....who did Duke lose to this winter?

peoples and team human......this wonderful, spiritual game always gets sullied by financials.

What football program can compete , offering NO scholarships, in the Div. I world. In lacrosse,......you can. Or Minimal. Conversely, schools that offer the FULL complement (the list MAY surprise folks) of 12.6.....

in$wag admits they are ME fir$t, when it comes to its mi$$ion...........and the pathetic clowns that hugged each other in recruiting 11 years olds.......huh?

what IS a "preferred walkon " :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Hoxwurth

Post by Hoxwurth »

tech37 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:22 am
Jlax92 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:22 am If Maryland faces UVA and beats them they will go all the way. I don’t know if any other team can match up with them for four quarters. Maybe Gtown but they haven’t had a Maryland caliber team all year.
If Yale gets there and brings their perfect game...maybe. They're deeper and perhaps more balanced than Penn?...despite their last meeting?
Whoever can have a great day and beat Wierman consistently. The more nuanced IL answer would be a team like Princeton, who is fairly efficient no matter how long they hold the ball.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Interesting strategy from Tiffany :lol:

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”