youthathletics

Re: Tewaaraton Favorite?

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:17 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:31 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:08 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 6:00 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 5:34 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 4:19 pm No one else thinks Handley has a shot eh?
He’ll be in the running.
You have to see that guy live to really appreciate
what he does.
Based on numbers AND if this player WAS NOT on the team....I'd pick B

What say you?

GP ----GS----G----A----PTS----SH----SH%---- Pick-em
14----14----48----36----84----100----.480 -----A
16----16----41----60----101----142---.289 ----B
15----15----52----39----91----122----.426------C
14----14----33----33----66----113----.292------D
You’re going to make me guess but would you compare stats equally of an pure attack and a midfielder.

Not knowing D, GB/TO, any clutch plays of note in significant games and how many GWGs I guess B or C?

I checked. There’s just no way that Army with a weaker schedule and no playoffs is Nichtern there. And his shooting is so much worse than Brandau or Wis. you can justify Handley a because he’s a midfielder. Brandau is C.
Maybe we first need to agree that it is not all about stats....after reading the below (from the website), and seeing the halftime spot during the Army-Navy game, coupled with my rationale for selecting B, can anyone add any color on the others and their off-field "contribution to society" that would sway us?

Spirit of Tewaaraton
The “Spirit of Tewaaraton” award is presented to an individual involved in the sport of lacrosse, who nobly reflects the finest virtues exemplified in the game, and who, over the course of his or her life, has made a significant contribution to society and to the lives of others.
I think by my comment that you should be able to tell I don’t think it’s all about stats.

And…absent any obvious attack player and a unique once in a decade type Middie I would like to see the middie get it to make sure it’s not a complete joke attack award 100% of the time.

It would be unfair to apply service standard for academy students and the rest. Particularly when there’s a congressional recommendation requirement-even if that is practically speaking easier to come by than it sounds on paper.
I'd love to see a goalie or defenseman....even someone like a Zach Goodrich who was a SSDM/two-way midfielder; a game changer for the team no doubt.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:20 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 4:19 pm No one else thinks Handley has a shot eh?
He’ll be in the running.
what he does.

What say you?

You’re going to make me guess but would you compare stats equally of an pure attack and a midfielder.

Not knowing D, GB/TO, any clutch plays of note in significant games and how many GWGs I guess B or C?

I checked. There’s just no way that Army with a weaker schedule and no playoffs is Nichtern there. And his shooting is so much worse than Brandau or Wis. you can justify Handley a because he’s a midfielder. Brandau is C.
Maybe we first need to agree that it is not all about stats....after reading the below (from the website), and seeing the halftime spot during the Army-Navy game, coupled with my rationale for selecting B, can anyone add any color on the others and their off-field "contribution to society" that would sway us?

Spirit of Tewaaraton
The “Spirit of Tewaaraton” award is presented to an individual involved in the sport of lacrosse, who nobly reflects the finest virtues exemplified in the game, and who, over the course of his or her life, has made a significant contribution to society and to the lives of others.
I think by my comment that you should be able to tell I don’t think it’s all about stats.

And…absent any obvious attack player and a unique once in a decade type Middie I would like to see the middie get it to make sure it’s not a complete joke attack award 100% of the time.

It would be unfair to apply service standard for academy students and the rest. Particularly when there’s a congressional recommendation requirement-even if that is practically speaking easier to come by than it sounds on paper.
I'd love to see a goalie or defenseman....even someone like a Zach Goodrich who was a SSDM/two-way midfielder; a game changer for the team no doubt.
Sure but baby steps
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Gray deserves it. This whole argument about needing to be in the tournament is stupid. The best player this year is Gray.
lorin

Post by lorin »

youthathletics wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:20 pm
He’ll be in the running.
what he does.

What say you?

Spirit of Tewaaraton

I watched most of the games of kids all great players, but Nichtern has to work is ass off for every point he gets, and most of the time shoots with 3 sticks hitting him. So i can see why is shooting percentage is lower then others. you can't go wrong with either kid.
random observer

Post by random observer »

Chris Gray had a hand in 50% of UNC's goals. There are maybe 4-5 other players in the country who are at even 40% in that stat. Only one other player was above 45% (Brian Minicus of Colgate at 47.2%). I think if you're evaluating who is the best player he is as good a candidate as any. If you are evaluating who was the most important to their team, I'd argue he is the clear choice.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Asher Nolting? Closest thing to Baum winning since Baum.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:15 pm Asher Nolting? Closest thing to Baum winning since Baum.
Easily the top player to come out of CO, I believe,

and I’d put Nolting as top five to come out of the
greater western states,

great move by High Point to get him out of CO.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

random observer wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:11 pm Chris Gray had a hand in 50% of UNC's goals. There are maybe 4-5 other players in the country who are at even 40% in that stat. Only one other player was above 45% (Brian Minicus of Colgate at 47.2%). I think if you're evaluating who is the best player he is as good a candidate as any. If you are evaluating who was the most important to their team, I'd argue he is the clear choice.
I agree. UNC probably would not have beaten anyone besides maybe Bellarmine and Colgate without Gray. He put together a 1st team AA caliber season and earned that all-time points record in spite of Carolina's terrible offense this year.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

I think Wisnauskas will win it but think that Handley, if Penn has a big run in the tournament, could be the consensus runner up. (And I say this as a Brandau fan.) I agree that functionally it's probably impossible for Gray or Nichtern to win given that their squads didn't make the tournament.
lorin

Post by lorin »

10 10 2 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:52 pm
random observer wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:11 pm Chris Gray had a hand in 50% of UNC's goals. There are maybe 4-5 other players in the country who are at even 40% in that stat. Only one other player was above 45% (Brian Minicus of Colgate at 47.2%). I think if you're evaluating who is the best player he is as good a candidate as any. If you are evaluating who was the most important to their team, I'd argue he is the clear choice.
I agree. UNC probably would not have beaten anyone besides maybe Bellarmine and Colgate without Gray. He put together a 1st team AA caliber season and earned that all-time points record in spite of Carolina's terrible offense this year.
Goes to show you how hard it is to make 1st team AA or any 3 teams.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

It kind of stinks that it strictly is an offensive award. McElroy at Gtown is having one of the best seasons I’ve ever seen from a goalie, leading the NCAA top defense. If he doesn’t get invited this year, I don’t think a goalie will ever get invited.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

10 10 2 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:52 pm
Well, I mean I understand the disappointment,

wasting the talents of Gray in some ways,

not sure I’d go that far.

Its a wake up call. Things change quickly.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:47 pm It kind of stinks that it strictly is an offensive award. McElroy at Gtown is having one of the best seasons I’ve ever seen from a goalie, leading the NCAA top defense. If he doesn’t get invited this year, I don’t think a goalie will ever get invited.
Yet another reason the sport we love constantly gets in its own way.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
random observer

Post by random observer »

youthathletics wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:55 pm
FlyEaglesFly wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:47 pm It kind of stinks that it strictly is an offensive award. McElroy at Gtown is having one of the best seasons I’ve ever seen from a goalie, leading the NCAA top defense. If he doesn’t get invited this year, I don’t think a goalie will ever get invited.
McElroy has had an unreal career and is one of the best D1 goalies I've seen in a long time. However, I think the fact that the freshman back up filled in for several games and the Hoyas carried on with their business without breaking a sweat probably doesn't help his chances.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

random observer wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:59 pm
McElroy has had an unreal career and is one of the best D1 goalies I've seen in a long time. However, I think the fact that the freshman back up filled in for several games and the Hoyas carried on with their business without breaking a sweat probably doesn't help his chances.
I hear you. But if you watched the games - it wasn’t that simple. He struggled a little vs Lehigh (certainly wasn’t without a sweat), and one of the other games was Providence. Granted he played well vs Denver.
HGK

Post by HGK »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:04 pm
I hear you. But if you watched the games - it wasn’t that simple. He struggled a little vs Lehigh (certainly wasn’t without a sweat), and one of the other games was Providence. Granted he played well vs Denver.
Bottom line it’s sadly an offensive player only award and more specifically an attackman award virtually every year. Best player doesn’t have to score - see Lawrence Taylor. I think this year one of 3 offensive players deserve the award but to your point be nice to see a goalie, ssdm or a close D man in the final conversation
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I think the tournament could have some impact - the problem for anyone else other than Wisnauskas is that it is hard to imagine Maryland not making the final game - actually hard to imagine them not winning - if LaSalla got really hot in the rematch UVA certainly has the offensive talent to make the Terps sweat - if the Cavs shocked the world - then Handley/McElroy/Brandau might have a shot. McElroy's other shot is to have a 60+ save percentage in the title game and an upset. But assuming the Testudo juggernaut proceeds it's going to be Wisnauskas and it won't be close - when you look at their stats it's beyond amazing - do you know who the first guy is with a shot percentage below 31% - it's a defenseman Rahill and he's 18th on the scoring chart. The first guy with a SOG below 63%? Geppert - another long pole 13th on the scoring chart. Can't remember stats like it.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

As a Terp fan, obviously pulling for Wisnauskas. But Gray was really good in a bad UNC team. And Nichtern was pretty awesome too. All three would be very deserving.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Doc Schneider in 06
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

HGK wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:36 pm
FlyEaglesFly wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:04 pm
Bottom line it’s sadly an offensive player only award and more specifically an attackman award virtually every year. Best player doesn’t have to score - see Lawrence Taylor. I think this year one of 3 offensive players deserve the award but to your point be nice to see a goalie, ssdm or a close D man in the final conversation
Taylor scored a TKO on Joe Theismann

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”