NCAA Tournament

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: NCAA Tournament

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Joe Spallina weighs in on Stony Brook’s seed and the mindset going into the tournament.

https://twitter.com/stonybrookwlax/stat ... 50946?s=21
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

laxlaxlax wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:50 am
LarryGamLax wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:26 am Stony Brook, an 8th seed? Political BS!
And I need someone to explain to me(in precise detail) how ND and UVa are in this Tournament other than their past Lacrosse history or the name of their school?

Nuff Said!
Out of curiosity, where do you think they should be? They aren’t 1-3 and then lost to NW at #4 and Cuse at #5.

I can understand you wanting them above Florida potentially but they had worse RPI than both Loyola and Florida, so what is it that makes you think they should be higher and where you would have them?

Can’t help with the ND and UVA question sorry :lol:

SBU lost to Syracuse by one(12-11), first game of the season and at Syracuse. They lost to NU at NU in early March. REMEMBER??
Didn't Syracuse just lose to a team (UVa) that wouldn't even be in the damn tournament, if they were not considered to be a "legacy program"? That "legacy program" finished the season a lusty 9-9. SO, is it unreasonable for me to say that SBU should have been given the #5 seed?
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:06 am Round 1:

USC v. UVA -- USC: This actually might end up being a good game. Picking USC because UVA.

Rutgers v. St. Joe's -- Rutgers.

Drexel v. SBU -- SBU

Syracuse v. Fairfield -- Syracuse

UMass v. Princeton -- Princeton, although I expect UMass will give the Tigers some trouble for a while.

Notre Dame v. Michigan -- Notre Dame, payback for the early season lapse.

Central Michigan v. NU -- NU

Duke v. JHU -- Duke; I'd love to see JHU pick off the Devils, but I am just not seeing it.

Jax v. Stanford -- Stanford; is this an upset?

Mercer v. Florida -- Florida

Loyola v. MSM -- Loyola

UConn v. JMU -- JMU

Denver v. Vermont -- Denver

The next round will be pretty fun.

USC v. UVA - UVA. Hoos are more battle tested than USC.

Rutgers v. St. Joe's -- Rutgers. Rutgers is too strong for Hawks.

Drexel v. SBU -- SBU, Drexel is inconsistent at best.

Syracuse v. Fairfield -- Syracuse, in a romp.

UMass v. Princeton -- Princeton, will pull away after a close 1st half.

Notre Dame v. Michigan -- ND, Wolverines are struggling lately.

Central Michigan v. NU -- NU, will pull starters by 3rd period.

Duke v. JHU -- Duke, too strong on the draw and offensively for JHU

Jax v. Stanford -- Jax, I like the resolve of this squad.

Mercer v. Florida -- Florida, calls off the dogs early!

Loyola v. MSM -- Loyola, in a romp.

UConn v. JMU -- JMU, UConn is lacking defensively

Denver v. Vermont -- Denver, Vermont might keep it close for a quarter, but that's it.

Enjoy the games everyone!

Joe
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

crazyhorse wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:18 am One more thought re ASU. Could be as simple as the cheapo NCAA didn't want to have to fly a 4th team in addition to Denver, USC, and Stanford.
I really do not think this was a factor. I have never talked to a coach where they felt that was an issue.
Tim McCormack is a friend and he's got it rockin in Tempe. In the next year or two, ASU will take the next step and get into the top 20. If he gets a couple of High level recruits, it's entry into the top 15. Sun Devils are HOT!(Pun intended)
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:55 pm

USC v. UVA -- USC: This actually might end up being a good game. Picking USC because UVA.

Drexel v. SBU -- SBU

UMass v. Princeton -- Princeton, although I expect UMass will give the Tigers some trouble for a while.

Duke v. JHU -- Duke; I'd love to see JHU pick off the Devils, but I am just not seeing it.

Loyola v. MSM -- Loyola

UConn v. JMU -- JMU

USC v. UVA - UVA. Hoos are more battle tested than USC. Hoos are overrated and they will get scored on. Their "legacy" will not prevent their defeat. To paraphrase Show Biz & AG on "Fat Pockets"..."Yo they gotta get the Boot, Yo they gotta see the Exit"

Rutgers v. St. Joe's -- Rutgers. Rutgers is too strong for Hawks. Steph Kelly vs her former team

Drexel v. SBU -- SBU, Drexel is inconsistent at best. SBU will win, but there is nothing inconsistent about Drexel. This a solid D1 program. Still vey underrated, but Spallina knows better not to fall for that.

UMass v. Princeton -- Princeton, will pull away after a close 1st half. Do not be surprised if UMass wins this. UMass can score and Sam Fish is inconsistent in Goal.

Notre Dame v. Michigan -- ND, Wolverines are struggling lately. Neither should be in, but I'll take Michigan.

Duke v. JHU -- Duke, too strong on the draw and offensively for JHU You do know that Janine CAN actually coach and her team will be riding that emotional wave.

Jax v. Stanford -- Jax, I like the resolve of this squad. Jacksonville is a SERIOUS program. Do not fake the funk with the Dolphins.

UConn v. JMU -- JMU, UConn is lacking defensively This will be interesting for maybe more than a while. Sydney Watson and Lia Laprise(UConn) can play!

Denver v. Vermont -- Denver, Vermont might keep it close for a quarter, but that's it. Denver should smack them with intensity and that will neutralize any interest.

Joe

My comments are after Joe's original comments.
Everyonesgotone

Post by Everyonesgotone »

LarryGamLax wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:02 pm
crazyhorse wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:18 am One more thought re ASU. Could be as simple as the cheapo NCAA didn't want to have to fly a 4th team in addition to Denver, USC, and Stanford.
I really do not think this was a factor. I have never talked to a coach where they felt that was an issue.
Tim McCormack is a friend and he's got it rockin in Tempe. In the next year or two, ASU will take the next step and get into the top 20. If he gets a couple of High level recruits, it's entry into the top 15. Sun Devils are HOT!(Pun intended)
FYI. ASU is ranked 18/19 so I guess they checked that box. The selection committee leaving ASU out is a joke and is a huge setback to growing the game.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

Both the IWLCA/ILWomen and USA Lacrosse polls are a joke.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
Everyonesgotone

Post by Everyonesgotone »

@inthe8m wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:57 pm Both the IWLCA/ILWomen and USA Lacrosse polls are a joke.
Everyone’s got one.
OuttaNowhereWregget

LarryGamLax wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:19 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:55 pm

Drexel v. SBU -- SBU

Loyola v. MSM -- Loyola

UConn v. JMU -- JMU

USC v. UVA - UVA. Hoos are more battle tested than USC. Hoos are overrated and they will get scored on. Their "legacy" will not prevent their defeat. To paraphrase Show Biz & AG on "Fat Pockets"..."Yo they gotta get the Boot, Yo they gotta see the Exit"

Rutgers v. St. Joe's -- Rutgers. Rutgers is too strong for Hawks. Steph Kelly vs her former team

Drexel v. SBU -- SBU, Drexel is inconsistent at best. SBU will win, but there is nothing inconsistent about Drexel. This a solid D1 program. Still vey underrated, but Spallina knows better not to fall for that.

UMass v. Princeton -- Princeton, will pull away after a close 1st half. Do not be surprised if UMass wins this. UMass can score and Sam Fish is inconsistent in Goal.

Notre Dame v. Michigan -- ND, Wolverines are struggling lately. Neither should be in, but I'll take Michigan.

Duke v. JHU -- Duke, too strong on the draw and offensively for JHU You do know that Janine CAN actually coach and her team will be riding that emotional wave.

Jax v. Stanford -- Jax, I like the resolve of this squad. Jacksonville is a SERIOUS program. Do not fake the funk with the Dolphins.

UConn v. JMU -- JMU, UConn is lacking defensively This will be interesting for maybe more than a while. Sydney Watson and Lia Laprise(UConn) can play!

Denver v. Vermont -- Denver, Vermont might keep it close for a quarter, but that's it. Denver should smack them with intensity and that will neutralize any interest.

Joe

My comments are after Joe's original comments.

Great stuff. Whets the appetite for the games.

And I have no idea how my comments became bold. I tried to fix it but...
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Sorry for being negative, but just don't understand why SW from UConn gets so much attention. The fact that she was the pre-season midfielder of the year is a slap in the face to middies like AM from UNC. SW would not start at midfield for UNC or BC. She puts up big numbers in a poor conference but big deal. Do people realize she has 50 TO's against that below average competition. 50!!! Mastrioni and Hillman have a combined 18. In fact she has about the same as Ortega, Mastrioni and Wurzburger combined.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Lax101 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:05 pm Sorry for being negative, but just don't understand why SW from UConn gets so much attention. The fact that she was the pre-season midfielder of the year is a slap in the face to middies like AM from UNC. SW would not start at midfield for UNC or BC. She puts up big numbers in a poor conference but big deal. Do people realize she has 50 TO's against that below average competition. 50!!! Mastrioni and Hillman have a combined 18. In fact she has about the same as Ortega, Mastrioni and Wurzburger combined.

You don't like Sydney Watson...and I would like to know why? BE HONEST when/if you respond. This stuff about who she would and would not start for/play for is at best speculative. You don't know that. You don't know if Coach Levy or Coach Walker-Weinstein wouldn't start or play Sydney.
As for your comment on her "poor conference", that's you being a Lax Snob!! Everyone doesn't have to play in the ACC or the Big Ten or The Ivies to feel that their Lacrosse career was worthwhile. Many schools have the sport and they cater to different players at different levels of skill and academic interests and career goals. I respect those who play and I try to keep it Lacrosse. ( I have no problem when it is Personal, but I really try to leave that out of the equation.)

Looking forward to your answers.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Are you saying that you think SW was deserving of preseason midfielder of the year in the entire NCAA - and therefore deserving of being a Tewaarton Top 5 finalist. Watch her play and you will see that she is a power player who relies on power and less so on stick work and skill. Power and speed is somewhat of a rare commodity in her conference whereas it is everywhere in the ACC. The top teams in the ACC value possession because you work so hard to get it and it is hard to score vs such tough defenses. Neither UNC nor BC would play someone having 50 TO's - certainly not a middie. That is a gory stat. That is a fact and at the very least your role would be limited Look at the number of TO's the best middies in the ACC have - or the TO/CTO ratio. I've seen UNC and BC bench kids for not valuing possession and being careless with the ball. The star players would not put up with it. Kerrigan Miller was the best middie in the Pac 12 (I think) and an AA that relied mostly on power and speed (similar to SW in Big East). She went to UNC and was no longer an AA or an All ACC player. She was a good role player. Saw her benched several times for poor decision making on the field. Dirk's was first team AA and Big 10 middie of the year (similar to SW). Her fate at UNC was similar to Miller as she is also just a role player and no longer AA or All ACC. Hillman was #1 middie in her class, played U19 and is regarded as an exceptional all round player and middie but at UNC she is also just a very valuable piece of the puzzle. 3 of the best middies in lax go to UNC and are very solid contributing players but not AA or even All ACC, but if SW went to UNC she would be first team AA, first team ACC and a star. She would take the place of AM as the best middie in the country despite her careless play and 50 turnovers to date. The eye test, the stats and the history of elite middies transferring and not excelling in the ACC give me a large amount of confidence that she would not be the best middie in the ACC or the country.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Hope this does not come across as personal. SW is probably a wonderful young lady and she is a very good player, but IMO she is not deserving of any NCAA Best Middie status. I simply tried to point out why that is the case.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Time Change for Friday's Games

If you made plans around the original start times, you might need to change them.

New start times

Previous start times

OuttaNowhereWregget

It's hard not to look ahead to the probable and stellar Sweet Sixteen matchup between JMU and Loyola. I'm hoping there are time changes and better spacing for Sunday's Sixteens. This is what the times are listed as at this point:

OuttaNowhereWregget

LarryGamLax wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:26 am And I need someone to explain to me(in precise detail) how ND and UVa are in this Tournament other than their past Lacrosse history or the name of their school?
I think it's obvious that both teams earned the right to their dance cards. Virginia knocking off Syracuse in the ACC tournament which was more than enough to get them over the finish line, as was Notre Dame's victory over Duke. They both had some decent (not great) wins. Plus, as was asked previously, who should have been in over them and not UConn, UMass, Michigan or Hop? I think they both earned the right to attend with their performances in the ACC tournament.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Lax101 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:48 am Hope this does not come across as personal. SW is probably a wonderful young lady and she is a very good player, but IMO she is not deserving of any NCAA Best Middie status. I simply tried to point out why that is the case.

My problem is with your speculative assertion that if someone plays in a conference outside of the ACC, the level or quality of their Lacrosse competition and skills has to be questioned. THAT'S CRAP! ACC snootiness at its finest! Everyone does not have to play i9n THAT conference or for THAT team. Your bias towards UNC is sooo evident. Your favorite team? Cool, but that's YOUR fave. They're not one of mine, but I respect some of the players. I don't make comparisons saying stuff like "if this player played for this team, she would/wouldn't do this or that". Waste of time. I didn't like it when Andi Aldave played at ND, but I always respected her as a player. I still like her as a player, but not UNC.
Your criticism of Sydney Watson I find insulting. You say IF she played at UNC or BC, "her kind of play would not be tolerated". Really, how do you know that? There's so much to unpack here with your superior ACC Lacrosse attitude, but I will simply make myself crazy. I support Lacrosse, the sport, and not just one conference or division.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Lax101 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:45 am Kerrigan Miller was the best middie in the Pac 12 (I think) and an AA that relied mostly on power and speed (similar to SW in Big East). She went to UNC and was no longer an AA or an All ACC player. She was a good role player. Saw her benched several times for poor decision making on the field. Dirk's was first team AA and Big 10 middie of the year (similar to SW). Her fate at UNC was similar to Miller as she is also just a role player and no longer AA or All ACC. Hillman was #1 middie in her class, played U19 and is regarded as an exceptional all round player and middie but at UNC she is also just a very valuable piece of the puzzle. 3 of the best middies in lax go to UNC and are very solid contributing players but not AA or even All ACC, but if SW went to UNC she would be first team AA, first team ACC and a star. She would take the place of AM as the best middie in the country despite her careless play and 50 turnovers to date. The eye test, the stats and the history of elite middies transferring and not excelling in the ACC give me a large amount of confidence that she would not be the best middie in the ACC or the country.
I have heard you make this argument several times as well as make predictions about transfers "failing to thrive" and in my opinion, I don't agree. Instead of "the history of elite middies transferring and not excelling in the ACC", IMO, I think it should read "the history of elite middies transferring to deep ACC programs and forgoing personal accolades in favor of a larger team goal".

I do not think Miller, Aldave, or Dirks were ever under the impression that they would continue to shoulder the same amount of responsibility at UNC than they did at their former schools. I don't think players like that transfer into programs with that amount of depth like UNC seeking personal glory. They had it at their old programs and still chose to leave. I just disagree with the idea that they are "failing to excel".

Do they have the same role and receive the same amount of recognition? No, but I guess I just disagree with the expectation of them to achieve the same amount of individual success when they transfer to a team with that much talent and depth in the first place.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:07 pm
Lax101 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:45 am Kerrigan Miller was the best middie in the Pac 12 (I think) and an AA that relied mostly on power and speed (similar to SW in Big East). She went to UNC and was no longer an AA or an All ACC player. She was a good role player. Saw her benched several times for poor decision making on the field. Dirk's was first team AA and Big 10 middie of the year (similar to SW). Her fate at UNC was similar to Miller as she is also just a role player and no longer AA or All ACC. Hillman was #1 middie in her class, played U19 and is regarded as an exceptional all round player and middie but at UNC she is also just a very valuable piece of the puzzle. 3 of the best middies in lax go to UNC and are very solid contributing players but not AA or even All ACC, but if SW went to UNC she would be first team AA, first team ACC and a star. She would take the place of AM as the best middie in the country despite her careless play and 50 turnovers to date. The eye test, the stats and the history of elite middies transferring and not excelling in the ACC give me a large amount of confidence that she would not be the best middie in the ACC or the country.
I have heard you make this argument several times as well as make predictions about transfers "failing to thrive" and in my opinion, I don't agree. Instead of "the history of elite middies transferring and not excelling in the ACC", IMO, I think it should read "the history of elite middies transferring to deep ACC programs and forgoing personal accolades in favor of a larger team goal".

I do not think Miller, Aldave, or Dirks were ever under the impression that they would continue to shoulder the same amount of responsibility at UNC than they did at their former schools. I don't think players like that transfer into programs with that amount of depth like UNC seeking personal glory. They had it at their old programs and still chose to leave. I just disagree with the idea that they are "failing to excel".

Do they have the same role and receive the same amount of recognition? No, but I guess I just disagree with the expectation of them to achieve the same amount of individual success when they transfer to a team with that much talent and depth in the first place.
Great post wlaxphan20.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

ESPN is showing the First Round games at the following times, all on ESPN+:

3:00 PM Mount St. Mary's vs. #6 Loyola (MD)
3:00 PM Johns Hopkins vs. Duke
3:00 PM Drexel vs. #8 Stony Brook
4:00 PM Vermont vs. Denver
4:00 PM Fairfield vs. #5 Syracuse
5:00 PM Central Michigan vs. Northwestern
5:00 PM Virginia vs. Southern California
5:00 PM Mercer vs. #7 Florida
5:30 PM Saint Joseph's vs. Rutgers
7:00 PM UMass vs. Princeton
7:00 PM UConn vs. James Madison
7:30 PM Jacksonville vs. Stanford
8:00 PM Michigan vs. Notre Dame