MAAC 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
SCLaxAttack

Re: MAAC 2022

Post by SCLaxAttack »

fatherof2 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:33 am Mt Saint Mary's leaving NEC for the MAAC
Is Sacred Heart next to leave NEC? join the MAAC?
That would be a surprise to most because of the lack of football in the conference.
redfoxalum

Post by redfoxalum »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:07 pm
fatherof2 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:33 am Mt Saint Mary's leaving NEC for the MAAC
That would be a surprise to most because of the lack of football in the conference.
Lack of football didn’t prevent Monmouth from leaving the NEC for the MAAC. Sacred Heart football could probably replace Monmouth in the Big South. Non-scholarship FCS football in the Pioneer League with Marist would be a less appealing option. Staying in NEC football would probably be a nonstarter.

The MAAC is in expansion mode and poached from the NEC after losing Loyola to the Patriot League. Trying their best to appease Rick Pitino is a new consideration this time around, though he’d likely prefer for Iona to leave the MAAC regardless of any realistic expansion targets. The Mount has a much stronger MBB tradition than Sacred Heart.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

redfoxalum wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:38 pm
Lack of football didn’t prevent Monmouth from leaving the NEC for the MAAC. Sacred Heart football could probably replace Monmouth in the Big South. Non-scholarship FCS football in the Pioneer League with Marist would be a less appealing option. Staying in NEC football would probably be a nonstarter.

The MAAC is in expansion mode and poached from the NEC after losing Loyola to the Patriot League. Trying their best to appease Rick Pitino is a new consideration this time around, though he’d likely prefer for Iona to leave the MAAC regardless of any realistic expansion targets. The Mount has a much stronger MBB tradition than Sacred Heart.
And lack of football was the reason Monmouth left the MAAC for the CAA. The CAA didn't offer admission to Monmouth because of their basketball strength.

While Pitino may have impact on Iona possibly leaving the MAAC, I don't think anything the MAAC might possibly do will coerce Iona to stay if that's not their intent. Certainly picking up low NET basketball teams in MSM and a school like SHU doesn't help the MAAC conference's basketball ranking and therefore its ability to get an at-large bball tournament bid.
redfoxalum

Post by redfoxalum »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:16 pm
redfoxalum wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:38 pm

And lack of football was the reason Monmouth left the MAAC for the CAA. The CAA didn't offer admission to Monmouth because of their basketball strength.

While Pitino may have impact on Iona possibly leaving the MAAC, I don't think anything the MAAC might possibly do will coerce Iona to stay if that's not their intent. Certainly picking up low NET basketball teams in MSM and a school like SHU doesn't help the MAAC conference's basketball ranking and therefore its ability to get an at-large bball tournament bid.
Monmouth left because the CAA is a better league in all respects, with the possible exception of MBB. The CAA and MAAC ranked 12 and 13 in RPI respectively of 31 conferences in MBB this past season. Football certainly was the CAA’s main attraction to Monmouth, but they do have one of the best basketball venues in the MAAC, definitely the best on campus arena.

As far as further MAAC expansion, it likely ends at The Mount for now. They encapsulate what Masiello describes in looking for expansion targets: been to multiple NCAA tournaments. There aren’t any other realistic targets like that.

https://www.nj.com/setonhall/2022/01/wi ... utType=amp

For now, none of this matters much for MLAX. The AQ is safe for now with VMI and The Mount replacing Monmouth and likely St. Bonaventure. The trade probably a downgrade for MLAX, although Monmouth is having a bad season and St. Bonaventure has a brief track record.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Dobson with 27 saves against Siena in the first MAAC semi. Bonnie’s win 12-10.
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:36 pm Dobson with 27 saves against Siena in the first MAAC semi. Bonnie’s win 12-10.
Didn't love the double in the corner and the goalie pull down 1 with over a minute left
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

LIU, Sacred Heart, and Wagner join VMI as associate MAAC members in men’s lacrosse for at least the 2023 and 2024 seasons. With those additions and the full membership of Mt. St. Mary’s the MAAC stands at ten members for men’s lacrosse.

Buhbye, NEC men’s lacrosse. :-(
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:44 pm LIU, Sacred Heart, and Wagner join VMI as associate MAAC members in men’s lacrosse for at least the 2023 and 2024 seasons. With those additions and the full membership of Mt. St. Mary’s the MAAC stands at ten members for men’s lacrosse.

Buhbye, NEC men’s lacrosse. :-(
It was already gone as it hadn’t been announced but Bart and St Joes we’re already gone while Bryant is heading to the Ae and RoMo left last year. This is just what’s left over. Like what happened to the ECAC in 2013.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”