Bracketology - Always a sign The Tournament is near

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Bracketology - Always a sign The Tournament is near

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:44 am I fell asleep and only found out the bracket this morning. I figured, I cant do anything about it....it will be what it is
Double sawbuck for your thoughts, Doc. (I think they're worth way more than a penny.)
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:03 am
Dr. Tact wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:44 am I fell asleep and only found out the bracket this morning. I figured, I cant do anything about it....it will be what it is
Double sawbuck for your thoughts, Doc. (I think they're worth way more than a penny.)
Top 4 seeds were no brainers....I think the 5-8 were good. I think SBU and Florida have the easiest path to the Elite 8. The northwestern/Cuse bracket appears to be the most competitive. Although a Loyola/BC game might be the best elite 8 game.

I think Duke got the short stick, but they could pull of an upset against Maryland.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Does anyone have an update on BC #45 (Sydney Scales) ankle injury?
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:12 am
Top 4 seeds were no brainers....I think the 5-8 were good. I think SBU and Florida have the easiest path to the Elite 8. The northwestern/Cuse bracket appears to be the most competitive. Although a Loyola/BC game might be the best elite 8 game.

I think Duke got the short stick, but they could pull of an upset against Maryland.
Florida definitely has the easiest pod to advance out of it. SB and Loyola have much tougher pods to advance out of.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
jeremyfallis

Post by jeremyfallis »

Hey everyone, what a night, eh?

Did a full breakdown of last night's bracket reveal with a bunch of quotes from the committee chair. Enjoy: https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... deep-field
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

@inthe8m wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:43 am

Florida definitely has the easiest pod to advance out of it. SB and Loyola have much tougher pods to advance out of.
Yup, and this is where Stony Brook can -- again -- feel jobbed. They go and play tough teams, go to those teams' houses and, in Florida's case, win. They do nothing but win the rest of their schedule, but Florida slides up -- beating East Carolina and Jacksonville along the way -- past SBU and Loyola, to a better draw. I'm not a SBU fanboy, but it's really a disgrace.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:56 am
@inthe8m wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:43 am

Yup, and this is where Stony Brook can -- again -- feel jobbed. They go and play tough teams, go to those teams' houses and, in Florida's case, win. They do nothing but win the rest of their schedule, but Florida slides up -- beating East Carolina and Jacksonville along the way -- past SBU and Loyola, to a better draw. I'm not a SBU fanboy, but it's really a disgrace.
Well, Florida is always going to end up with an easy pod to advance out of if they are seeded as long as Jacksonville and Mercer are winning conference championships - due to the travel distance considerations. Florida always ends up with a couple of weak teams within driving distance and it is usually rounded out with a West Coast team (= weaker team) that is travelling no matter what. It is a geographical advantage of not being located near any good teams.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

Grading the Committee: One Snub Left Out of Astoundingly Deep Field

https://usalaxmagazine.com/college/wome ... deep-field

snippet ...

TOUGHEST DRAW
It feels like this is written every year: the Stony Brook pod. Rutgers is probably deserving of a seed and has a tough test in Saint Joseph’s in the opening game, while SBU has to get past a scrappy Drexel team that won the CAA tournament for the first time.

After that, it’s Loyola that must run a likely gauntlet of national championship programs in James Madison, Boston College and Maryland to reach the final.

UPEST ALERT, PART I
Loyola. The Greyhounds have been excellent this year, but James Madison has been unbeatable since a loss at Rutgers in mid-March. During that stretch, the Dukes have beaten Virginia and Maryland before romping through CAA play. When they meet, it’ll be a matchup fit for a quarterfinal.

UPSET ALERT, PART II
Syracuse. This will be a trendy pick because the Orange can’t play at home due to facility conflicts. Therefore, the pod is being played at Princeton. Scerbo said on the ESPNU selection show that even if Syracuse could host, the pod would have remained the same. Nevertheless, a fired-up Princeton side in Chris Sailer’s last hurrah will be inspired to reach the quarterfinals.

REVENGE FUEL, PART I
Maryland against Duke. The Blue Devils ended Maryland’s 2021 season in the second round, and this time around, it’s the Terrapins hosting. It’s possible Duke doesn’t get by Johns Hopkins, but it would be a surprise if they didn’t.

REVENGE FUEL, PART II
Notre Dame against Michigan (and Northwestern). The Fighting Irish almost didn’t qualify for this tournament due to a lack of wins. One reason why is Michigan, which beat Notre Dame early in the season. Should that happen, they’ll play Northwestern, who beat the Irish in 2019 to advance to the quarterfinals.

DON’T BE SURPRISED IF…
Multiple unseeded teams reach the quarterfinals. Rutgers, Princeton, Notre Dame, Denver, James Madison, Stanford and Duke all lurk as potential spoilers in the second round for seeded teams.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

I wont be surprised, I will be shocked if Denver coming off a OT win over Georgetown goes to BC and pulls an upset. I also think Loyola is very overrated. They have beaten nobody this year. Played a close game vs Cuse but were down by 5 most of game before Cuse did their typical implosion. I see JMU making it to the elite 8 in that bracket.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Lax101 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:15 pm I wont be surprised, I will be shocked if Denver coming off a OT win over Georgetown goes to BC and pulls an upset.
Love it.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Lax101 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:15 pm I also think Loyola is very overrated. They have beaten nobody this year. Played a close game vs Cuse but were down by 5 most of game before Cuse did their typical implosion. I see JMU making it to the elite 8 in that bracket.
I would say this is overstated. Florida and Princeton aren’t chopped liver.

That said, I think Loyola should be seeded where Stony Brook is. The JMU game will be a major test. I’m leaning Dukes.

https://loyolagreyhounds.com/sports/wom ... e/schedule
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Lax101 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:15 pm I wont be surprised, I will be shocked if Denver coming off a OT win over Georgetown goes to BC and pulls an upset. I also think Loyola is very overrated. They have beaten nobody this year. Played a close game vs Cuse but were down by 5 most of game before Cuse did their typical implosion. I see JMU making it to the elite 8 in that bracket.
They didn't go down by 5 goals until the second minute of the 4th quarter. fixed it for you.

This "they have beaten nobody this year" seems a little over the top, but whatever....
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Thanks for the correction. Just don't see any evidence of Loyola being that strong of a team. Cuse had game under control until they imploded. Beating Princeton means absolutely nothing since Princeton had to squeak by teams like Penn and Yale (BC had Yale by running clock in 2nd quarter). Florida win is solid but Florida is a young and somewhat inconsistent team. Just my opinion. Will find out when they face JMU and/or BC.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Lax101 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:02 pm Thanks for the correction. Just don't see any evidence of Loyola being that strong of a team. Cuse had game under control until they imploded. Beating Princeton means absolutely nothing since Princeton had to squeak by teams like Penn and Yale (BC had Yale by running clock in 2nd quarter). Florida win is solid but Florida is a young and somewhat inconsistent team. Just my opinion. Will find out when they face JMU and/or BC.
I went through Princeton’s schedule. I concede the point. Can’t dismiss Florida though.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Lax101 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:02 pm Thanks for the correction. Just don't see any evidence of Loyola being that strong of a team. Cuse had game under control until they imploded. Beating Princeton means absolutely nothing since Princeton had to squeak by teams like Penn and Yale (BC had Yale by running clock in 2nd quarter). Florida win is solid but Florida is a young and somewhat inconsistent team. Just my opinion. Will find out when they face JMU and/or BC.
You are absolutely correct, just an opinion. Not better or worse than mine. Ill quarrel with one thing though. You cant use transitive properties with good womens lacrosse teams . Just because one team squeaked by a team versus someone else having a different result only means that is what happened that day. I am not saying bc isnt better than princeton, but Princeton's tight games against yale or penn doesnt invalidate or inform their game result againt Loyola.Especially when you are talking about ivy rivals.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Lax101 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:02 pm Will find out when they face JMU and/or BC.
I agree with you on this. If loyola isnt good, we will certainly see that against jmu. On the other hand, would beating jmu move your opinion at all?
laxlaxlax

Post by laxlaxlax »

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:58 pm
You are absolutely correct, just an opinion. Not better or worse than mine. Ill quarrel with one thing though. You cant use transitive properties with good womens lacrosse teams . Just because one team squeaked by a team versus someone else having a different result only means that is what happened that day. I am not saying bc isnt better than princeton, but Princeton's tight games against yale or penn doesnt invalidate or inform their game result againt Loyola.Especially when you are talking about ivy rivals.
Have to agree with this take. The Penn game was their last chance of making the tournament and so they were playing for their lives and the Yale game this past weekend at the Ivy tournament Princeton had hit running clock before halftime time also.

I still think that Loyola / Princeton game was a great and well fought game, especially considering that miserable weather!

But I do agree with the argument in general!

Tact, any concerns about the lack of big games more recently for the hounds, its been over a month since any that were close?
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

The NU pod is fascinating... If ND plays like they did in the ACC tournament, they really could reach the elite 8. NU needs to steady the ship or they're in trouble.

My big takeaway from the ASU snub is a lack of respect for Rutgers (RPI #7). If instead this signature win for ASU had been over, say, Syracuse (RPI 6) or SBU (RPI 8), does it get them in over UConn/UMass/JHU, who all have beat nobody? IMO probably.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

laxlaxlax wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:30 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:58 pm
Have to agree with this take. The Penn game was their last chance of making the tournament and so they were playing for their lives and the Yale game this past weekend at the Ivy tournament Princeton had hit running clock before halftime time also.

I still think that Loyola / Princeton game was a great and well fought game, especially considering that miserable weather!

But I do agree with the argument in general!

Tact, any concerns about the lack of big games more recently for the hounds, its been over a month since any that were close?
The Gray/Green parents think it will be no problem. I tend to see half empty, so I would say that the JMU game will be tough. I could see the Hounds falling behind early. How much they can recover and "turn on the lights" after the cupcake season finish, we will see. Recent history does not have the Hounds getting past round two, but this team is a little different.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Doc, how has Loyola performed against good zone defenses this year? And what, beyond assigning 32 to her, does Loyola do about Peterson? And what does Loyola do about Checkosy's height and feeding ability?

And yes, I know we are jumping ahead.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”