ESPN Crew is Unlistenable

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MoralTerpitude

Re: ESPN Crew is Unlistenable

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Wheels wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:03 am Quint has been far less ACC-centric this year than past years. Is it due to his departure from IL, or is he just calling it like he sees it? I don't know, but I've noticed it.

Carc last night and for the past few games has been too vocal about the ACC. Anish last night actually corrected him and said something about how people complain about the same thing in previous years because of the benefit the ACC normally gets from the RPI.

I don't think it's an explicit "be a homer for the ACC." But they do stan quite a bit for the ACC. It was so bad last year that it became a season-long joke.

But...if I'm hanging out with one guy in the whole of the lacrosse world media for a night, it's Carc. He's a genuine dude.
I have noticed this too. He is much more balanced in talking about the Ivies than Carc (as is Anish, actually).

Couple of other thoughts:
-I doubt that ESPN cares nearly enough about lacrosse (or by extension ACC lacrosse) to tell their broadcast team to pump up the ACC. I think that’s on Carc, Quint, and Anish.
-Comparing lax broadcast quality to college football broadcast quality is ridiculous. ESPN has hundreds of millions of dollars invested in college football and… less in college lax.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Those guys are probably a quarter of entire budget.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:18 am
Wheels wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:03 am Quint has been far less ACC-centric this year than past years. Is it due to his departure from IL, or is he just calling it like he sees it? I don't know, but I've noticed it.

Carc last night and for the past few games has been too vocal about the ACC. Anish last night actually corrected him and said something about how people complain about the same thing in previous years because of the benefit the ACC normally gets from the RPI.

I don't think it's an explicit "be a homer for the ACC." But they do stan quite a bit for the ACC. It was so bad last year that it became a season-long joke.

But...if I'm hanging out with one guy in the whole of the lacrosse world media for a night, it's Carc. He's a genuine dude.
I have noticed this too. He is much more balanced in talking about the Ivies than Carc (as is Anish, actually).

-I doubt that ESPN cares nearly enough about lacrosse (or by extension ACC lacrosse) to tell their broadcast team to pump up the ACC. I think that’s on Carc, Quint, and Anish.
-Comparing lax broadcast quality to college football broadcast quality is ridiculous. ESPN has hundreds of millions of dollars invested in college football and… less in college lax.
I mean yeah, just look at the order of the listings in the ESPN app to see where lacrosse rates. Its down there below college softball, beach volleyball, cricket, etc.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

The lead BTN crew of Dixon and Bettinadi are very good. Much better than anything ESPN puts out

They simply call the game, know all the players...not just the top 4-5 stars on each team
suffolk

Post by suffolk »

Chris Cotter the ACC Network talks about his personal weight lifting routine at least twice a game. Quint and Carc often join the conversation.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

The yakkety yak of these guys is fine if we're belly up to the bar with them, but on broadcasts it really implies that the game on the field isn't interesting enough for them to do their jobs.
Quint may be the most frustrating because with the right PBP guy he can be a good analyst.
Same for Anish; a good PBP man with invested color guys.
Carc seems a good guy and is a good ambassador for the sport, but that =/= good announcing/analysis.

I just watched espn+ MAAC final & Jules Henningberg did a fine job of analysis. Don't know how much he's done, but there was no talking over each other and his points were delivered cleanly. There was respect for the teams, the game, and the sport.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:02 am Corey and Heningburg are doing a very nice job on the MAAC final, and Marist’s comm department is having no problem feeding the video to ESPN.

Can we move these announcers and Marist’s production people to Providence for tomorrow, or the Ivy final to Poughkeepsie?
Yes,

Corey does a nice job in teaming up with the different
color guys,

I like the Corey - Ward combo.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

random observer wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:13 am

Quint has always been more the call it like he sees it type, whether you agree with him or not. I' still think he's been a little too bullish on the ACC teams in his rankings and in things like mentioning all of the 1-goal Ivy league wins. But he has at least been steadfast and objective in his belief that based on the criteria it should and will be 5 Ivy teams, and only 1-2 ACC teams in the tournament. I consider his criticisms of the RPI to be more in good faith because he has had some questions about it in past years.
I do know that he's not high on the Ivies. He thinks they've run out of gas and will get bounced early.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:18 am

When they're on the ACCN, they're totally stanning for the ACC. It's not even debatable.

They're not the same when they're on the other ESPN outlets.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:33 pm The yakkety yak of these guys is fine if we're belly up to the bar with them, but on broadcasts it really implies that the game on the field isn't interesting enough for them to do their jobs.
Quint may be the most frustrating because with the right PBP guy he can be a good analyst.
Same for Anish; a good PBP man with invested color guys.
Carc seems a good guy and is a good ambassador for the sport, but that =/= good announcing/analysis.

I just watched espn+ MAAC final & Jules Henningberg did a fine job of analysis. Don't know how much he's done, but there was no talking over each other and his points were delivered cleanly. There was respect for the teams, the game, and the sport.
Jules is going to be good. I remember watching his first on-air ESPNU game (think it was a Quinippiac game), and he was much better today. You can tell he's finding his voice as an analyst. I've seen YouTube videos from him where he's doing shooting/dodging demos/drills, and he's much more animated in those than he is on TV. He had more voice inflection today than he did early in the season. Showing that he's improving. Using his voice more to covey energy and interest as opposed to just "talking" about the game. He'll get there. He's young!
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Want to add that I really like Matt Ward when he does games.

I hated him when he played for UVA because he killed my Terps...all the time!

So I was suspicious of him when he got into the booth. But damn if he isn't good in the booth. He's insightful like Boyle. He rarely ever talks about his own playing days (often gets prompted by his PbP partner about it). Just comes across a knowledgable and credible analyst.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Jldlax wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:34 am It is not a “conspiracy theory” to suggest that Disney/ESPN may take their financial interests into account in putting out content.
ESPN/Disney almost certainly loses money on lacrosse. They could triple the TV audience with poker tournament reruns instead of live lax. They do it anyway because it enhances their image as covering all sports. Which teams are playing is just irrelevant. Quint and Carc come by their doofishness honestly.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

CU77 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:31 pm
Jldlax wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:34 am It is not a “conspiracy theory” to suggest that Disney/ESPN may take their financial interests into account in putting out content.
ESPN/Disney almost certainly loses money on lacrosse. They could triple the TV audience with poker tournament reruns instead of live lax. They do it anyway because it enhances their an image as covering all sports. Which teams are playing is just irrelevant. Quint and Carc come by their doofishness honestly.
Just pay some enthusiast with a high end quad copter drone to stream to a YouTube channel. No commentary needed. Ciuldn’t be any worse than what we saw last night.

Ivies don’t need Disney’s charity (which sux anyway).
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Should hear the NEc announcers.

Talking about wanting to see a St Jeos player goal celebration “yeah we want to see it. It’s a pretty sick celly”

I always thought Celly = cell mate not celebration.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Should hear the NEc announcers.

Talking about wanting to see a St Jeos player goal celebration “yeah we want to see it. It’s a pretty sick celly”

I always thought Celly = cell mate not celebration.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

suffolk wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:46 am Chris Cotter the ACC Network talks about his personal weight lifting routine at least twice a game. Quint and Carc often join the conversation.
I swear I'm not sure Cotter fundamentally knows how lacrosse works. It usually means he just shuts up and gets out of the way but the dude mixes up players names routinely, misses basic stuff, it's bad
molo

Post by molo »

Never heard “cello” used in jail, and I think I’ve spent more time in jail than the average poster.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Celly not cello.

Jail or prison? Big difference but I’ve heard it referenced by people who’ve spent time in both.
Bonkboo

Post by Bonkboo »

If Quint/Carc are on, I mute immediately and permanently.
MDralphie

Post by MDralphie »

Anish has a great broadcaster voice. Unfortunately, he cannot offer a single fresh thought or perspective because he knows nothing of lacrosse except what is trending from the other “voices of lacrosse” The production of the show tonight was dreadful. The boys were on their ND knees tonight. While I agree ND is a tough team, they played 12 games and their claim to fame was beating Duke x2. No other wins that mattered. Duke at least beat a handful of teams in the Tournament despite 5 losses

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”