D1 Mens Lacrosse
FlyEaglesFly

Re: Georgetown 2022

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

Can the Hoyas make it 4 in a row? Nova looked alot better last night vs Denver
FishFood

Post by FishFood »

rolldodge wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:58 am I know this has been talked about before, but just want to give another shoutout to our D-Mids. They are very, very good. And not just Geddes and Godine. There's no drop off when Hess and Leary are out there too. Beyond defensive ability, their ability to get the ball up off the ground before it turns into a scrum is incredible and leads to a lot of transition opportunities. The announcers kept talking about Marquette trying to attack the short sticks, and the 5 goals shows how successful that was.

On to the Villanova game. Faceoffs will be an issue as Coppola had a good day against Reilly last time, and Reilly has had a more difficult time than usual in the past couple of games. Will Vitton has been playing well in goal also. Those two will be key to Villanova keeping it close.
I could not agree more watching last night's game. The quality of the 1v1 defense is unreal. That's what makes their defense elite and gives McElroy very manageable and contested shots. Typically, that 1v1 quality weakens with the short-sticks, but not often for this Hoya group. The "required slide" doesn't happen nearly as often as most teams and they're pretty good with their "back turned" doubles. Allowing everyone to stay at home then allows them to view what's unfolding around them (instead of sliding all over the place). I think this is the reason they knock down and pick off so many passes. They must have had 15 of those last night.

The question becomes - does a quality tournament team allow them to play this same way? It'll have been a while since they were tested with elite offensive talent.
Hoya

Post by Hoya »

Villanova lost to Yale, Brown, and Penn by a total of 5 goals. It's a very good team that could have been in at-large consideration if 2 of those games go the other way. Hoyas need to come out of the gate with a mission to finish this one early. I don't like the idea of Villanova hanging around until the end.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

FishFood wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:25 am
rolldodge wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:58 am I know this has been talked about before, but just want to give another shoutout to our D-Mids. They are very, very good. And not just Geddes and Godine. There's no drop off when Hess and Leary are out there too. Beyond defensive ability, their ability to get the ball up off the ground before it turns into a scrum is incredible and leads to a lot of transition opportunities. The announcers kept talking about Marquette trying to attack the short sticks, and the 5 goals shows how successful that was.

On to the Villanova game. Faceoffs will be an issue as Coppola had a good day against Reilly last time, and Reilly has had a more difficult time than usual in the past couple of games. Will Vitton has been playing well in goal also. Those two will be key to Villanova keeping it close.
I could not agree more watching last night's game. The quality of the 1v1 defense is unreal. That's what makes their defense elite and gives McElroy very manageable and contested shots. Typically, that 1v1 quality weakens with the short-sticks, but not often for this Hoya group. The "required slide" doesn't happen nearly as often as most teams and they're pretty good with their "back turned" doubles. Allowing everyone to stay at home then allows them to view what's unfolding around them (instead of sliding all over the place). I think this is the reason they knock down and pick off so many passes. They must have had 15 of those last night.

The question becomes - does a quality tournament team allow them to play this same way? It'll have been a while since they were tested with elite offensive talent.
Its hard to say until the tournament itself. But I will say, that the top 20 teams they have played they have held all of them below their season average in goals. Even in their one loss, they held Princeton to 6 goals below their average. That game was won by Princeton's defense who played 4 goals better than their average. I haven't seen any evidence of the defense getting weaker -- actually the opposite.

Certainly there are going to be more slides against better competition. But then you have McElroy.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Hoya wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:09 pm Villanova lost to Yale, Brown, and Penn by a total of 5 goals. It's a very good team that could have been in at-large consideration if 2 of those games go the other way. Hoyas need to come out of the gate with a mission to finish this one early. I don't like the idea of Villanova hanging around until the end.
I have been on the Nova “underrated” -bandwagon all year and agree that tomorrow Hoyas need to bring their A game from opening whistle. No reason to think they won’t but I can see this being a very close game that either team could win.

Let’s go Hoyas!
Hoya

Post by Hoya »

Well Villanova was everything I thought they'd be. 2 close games go in a different direction this season and they might be dancing. It's a shame. Very good team.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

I don’t think the game was as close as the final score. Hoyas kinda eased up and got lackadaisical at the end. 4 big East titles in a row is wild. Both goalies played very well. On to the tourney!
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Bad news: Watson held relatively quiet two games in a row

Good news: MCDermott, Haley, and Morin step up to fill the gaps.

And Bundy continues to be a beast.

Reilly struggled a bit in the second half but went 1 and 2.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Looking forward to watching the Hoyas in the tournament. They’re a complete team. I’m sure the loss to UVa left a bad taste in their mouths, just like it did for the Terps. Great motiviation. Hopefully Virginia is on their side of the bracket… would love to see a rematch, and my money would be on the Hoyas.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

UVA wasn’t 14 to 5 better than Georgetown,

something was off that day, anyone who watched that
game would say the same.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

Watching these Ivy teams… man… I would have to imagine everyone is hoping they get matched up vs them and not the ACC. I’m worried the lower seeded ACC will end up screwing Gtown or MD in the quarterfinals. Hopefully MD.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Let’s gooooooooooo!
Hoya

Post by Hoya »

About as good as we could have hoped. UVA on the other side, playing Maryland 2nd round if they get past Brown. Princeton and Yale on the other side as well.

Not that we waltz into Championship weekend but Maryland got a raw deal.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Penn is a killer draw,

today was as close to the team that I saw in pre-season
as any game during the regular season,

today though still wasn’t their 5th gear.

It’ll be a tremendous matchup if it comes to pass
and if Penn can get their injured players back.
Hoya

Post by Hoya »

10stone5 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:55 pm Penn is a killer draw,

Penn is a great team no doubt. They are playing to win it all.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

10stone5 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:55 pm Penn is a killer draw,

Potential Bowen/Handley heavyweight rematch on Memorial Day weekend!

Let’s do this!
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Hoya wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:52 pm About as good as we could have hoped. UVA on the other side, playing Maryland 2nd round if they get past Brown. Princeton and Yale on the other side as well.

Not that we waltz into Championship weekend but Maryland got a raw deal.
Terps have the score from last year’s championship game posted in their locker room. They’ll be ready and motivated for UVa, and will have a full week to prepare this time.

Interesting bracket for the Hoyas. Ohio State is the type of team I could see giving the Hoyas trouble, very physical with some talent in Myers and Reid, and a good FOGO in Inacio. Shut down Myers and OSU doesn’t have much of a backup plan. Cornell has strong top end talent in Kirst, Piatelli, Adler, and Long, but a pretty inconsistent FOGO in Petrakis. Their goalie Ierlan has also played pretty poorly down the stretch. When Cornell is on, though, they are scary good. Crushed OSU after going down early, destroyed Harvard, was beating Princeton 12-5. I think Buczek is going to be a great coach, and he makes great in-game adjustments.

Should be a very interesting quarterfinal.

EDIT: It would be a home game for the Buckeyes if they make it. I sympathize... Terps dealt with the same BS last year.
FishFood

Post by FishFood »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:50 pm
Hoya wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:52 pm A

EDIT: It would be a home game for the Buckeyes if they make it. I sympathize... Terps dealt with the same BS last year.
With Columbus as a quarterfinal host that had to be a factor for their inclusion. You won't convince me otherwise.

Very solid draw for the Hoyas in my opinion. No easy games in May, but Hoyas should rightfully have confidence in all the matchups until Memorial Day.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

The only bad thing about this bracket is that is in Ohio and not Long Island.
HGK

Post by HGK »

rolldodge wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:53 am The only bad thing about this bracket is that is in Ohio and not Long Island.
Yup!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”