Bracketology - Always a sign The Tournament is near

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Dr. Tact

Re: Bracketology - Always a sign The Tournament is near

Post by Dr. Tact »

Justalaxdad wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 12:28 pm Completely agree on Loyola, they deserve a seed. 18-1 with a win over Florida and a one goal loss to ‘Cuse is enough IMO.
from your lips (keyboard) to the Seeding committee's ears
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

So… will the Committee bump Maryland to No. 2, to theoretically set up the UNC-Maryland final?
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:34 pm So… will the Committee bump Maryland to No. 2, to theoretically set up the UNC-Maryland final?
They could leave them at 3 too, couldn't they? 1 & 4 are on one side and 2 & 3 on the other?
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:34 pm So… will the Committee bump Maryland to No. 2, to theoretically set up the UNC-Maryland final?
I understand what you’re saying, but if they’re doing it fairly, then they would assign the seeds to the teams that they think deserve them and not be trying to “create matchups”.
njbill

Post by njbill »

That would be my vote, sc.

I would think the fans would want to see a North Carolina Maryland final. They are pretty clearly the two best teams. While the North Carolina BC games have mostly been pretty good, it’s pretty clear Carolina is the better team. We don’t really need to see them play again.

With the intense past rivalry between Maryland and North Carolina, plus the fact that they haven’t played for several years now, I think that would be a highly anticipated game. Rooting for a repeat of 2016!
njbill

Post by njbill »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:36 pm
They could leave them at 3 too, couldn't they? 1 & 4 are on one side and 2 & 3 on the other?
Good point. If BC gets two and Maryland is seeded third, then they would meet in the semis. We could still have a Maryland North Carolina final.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

njbill wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:41 pm That would be my vote, sc.

I would think the fans would want to see a North Carolina Maryland final. They are pretty clearly the two best teams. While the North Carolina BC games have mostly been pretty good, it’s pretty clear Carolina is the better team. We don’t really need to see them play again.

With the intense past rivalry between Maryland and North Carolina, plus the fact that they haven’t played for several years now, I think that would be a highly anticipated game. Rooting for a repeat of 2016!
Yeah, I can see this. We’ll see soon enough.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

2016 was a great game. I definitely did not see it coming especially after how UNC had played against Penn State in the semis. Would definitely be a bit of a role reversal for UNC and Maryland compared to 2016 as well.

New season starts Monday though, and all it takes is for a team to catch fire at the right time. Conference tournaments provided more surprises than usual already, IMO.
njbill

Post by njbill »

It was a great game. I had a front row seat. Almost literally.

Very good point about possible role reversals in 2022. I hope not, as I am rooting for the Tarheels.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

njbill wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:54 pm It was a great game. I had a front row seat. Almost literally.

Very good point about possible role reversals in 2022. I hope not, as I am rooting for the Tarheels.
I just meant as far as each team’s resume haha, not the result. But you never know!
njbill

Post by njbill »

Yes, I understood. You meant in 2016 Md. came in undefeated, no. 1 seed, and the favorite. This year UNC will be all those.
jeremyfallis

Post by jeremyfallis »

Dasher wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:33 am
jeremyfallis wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:26 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:05 pm
jeremyfallis wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:32 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:04 am
jeremyfallis wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:58 am There is a lot going on there! The Top 10 Average Opponent RPI ranking is what you want. The value directly to the right is the average RPI of their top 10 opponents. For example, Virginia is the No. 1 SOS with an average opponent ranking of 7.2 among their top 10 opponents entering this week's games.
But if I want to view only the current SOS rankings—which page would I view for that? Could you set it up and then include the link of that page and setting in your response? Thanks in advance.
It's all on the same page. Click on the SOS tab and it'll sort the teams for you.

https://lacrossereference.com/stats/rpi-d1-women
That's different from the link you provided yesterday:

https://stats.ncaa.org/selection_rankin ... ties/26304

I've used the lacrosse reference one before. According to the laxref site, the NCAA SOS gives the rankings of the Group of 5 I've been tracking as:

15 Florida
18 JMU
19 Stony Brook
20 Duke
27 Loyola

Is that found on the NCAA stats page you provided yesterday?
The NCAA only updates every Monday morning. Lacrossereference.com site updates quite frequently, and the data is reliable (an exact replica of the formulas the NCAA uses).

Also -- that Rutgers score :shock:
Any finals thoughts before the selections tonight?
With a lack of upsets over the past 24 hours, things are holding pretty steady. I saw someone else state that Georgetown winning would have bumped UConn out--I wholeheartedly agree (especially since Hopkins beat Georgetown earlier this year).

We'll have the final bracket out an hour or so after these last two games wrap up. Fingers crossed I'm right. :lol:
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

As I told my two daughters yesterday. Winning a conference championship (in their cases) or getting an NCAA bid is what it is all about. It's why they put in the hours, sacrifices, ups/downs, sweat, pain, etc. Not all players (actually not most players) in DI-DIII get that opportunity. So, while I want my little princesses to host and move on to the elite 8, just getting to the dance is tremendous. Don't take it for granted and enjoy the ride for as long as you can.

I remain hopeful that both Loyola and York will get hosting seeds, but I need to remind myself that it doesn't matter. It will be what it is, and the ride is what is important.

Go Hounds! Go Spartans!
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

jeremyfallis wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:06 pm
jeremyfallis wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:58 am There is a lot going on there! The Top 10 Average Opponent RPI ranking is what you want. The value directly to the right is the average RPI of their top 10 opponents. For example, Virginia is the No. 1 SOS with an average opponent ranking of 7.2 among their top 10 opponents entering this week's games.
But if I want to view only the current SOS rankings—which page would I view for that? Could you set it up and then include the link of that page and setting in your response? Thanks in advance.
It's all on the same page. Click on the SOS tab and it'll sort the teams for you.

I've used the lacrosse reference one before. According to the laxref site, the NCAA SOS gives the rankings of the Group of 5 I've been tracking as:

15 Florida
18 JMU
19 Stony Brook
20 Duke
27 Loyola

The NCAA only updates every Monday morning. Lacrossereference.com site updates quite frequently, and the data is reliable (an exact replica of the formulas the NCAA uses).

With a lack of upsets over the past 24 hours, things are holding pretty steady. I saw someone else state that Georgetown winning would have bumped UConn out--I wholeheartedly agree (especially since Hopkins beat Georgetown earlier this year).

We'll have the final bracket out an hour or so after these last two games wrap up. Fingers crossed I'm right. :lol:
I know a lot was made here about Duke's OOC schedule but at some point the NCAA should stop rewarding a team like UConn with a bid when they play in a mediocre conference and then scheduled an OOC slate of:
Fairfield
JMU(Loss)
UMass Lowell
New Hampshire
UMass
Manhattan
Cornell
Albany
Hofstra
Columbia

I know they're only 9-9 but how isn't Va Tech's resume better than UConn's? They played the 10th most difficult schedule in the country and have wins over JMU and Notre Dame. UConn's best win is over UMass and their SOS is 47th.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

hmmm wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:39 pm

15 Florida
18 JMU
19 Stony Brook
20 Duke
27 Loyola

I know a lot was made here about Duke's OOC schedule but at some point the NCAA should stop rewarding a team like UConn with a bid when they play in a mediocre conference and then scheduled an OOC slate of:
Fairfield
JMU(Loss)
UMass Lowell
New Hampshire
UMass
Manhattan
Cornell
Albany
Hofstra
Columbia

I know they're only 9-9 but how isn't Va Tech's resume better than UConn's? They played the 10th most difficult schedule in the country and have wins over JMU and Notre Dame. UConn's best win is over UMass and their SOS is 47th.
Agreed
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

hmmm wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:39 pm I know a lot was made here about Duke's OOC schedule but at some point the NCAA should stop rewarding a team like UConn with a bid when they play in a mediocre conference and then scheduled an OOC slate of:
Fairfield
JMU(Loss)
UMass Lowell
New Hampshire
UMass
Manhattan
Cornell
Albany
Hofstra
Columbia

Compelling case. I think VT would be a much better representative at the dance than UConn.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

hmmm wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:39 pm

15 Florida
18 JMU
19 Stony Brook
20 Duke
27 Loyola

Fairfield
JMU(Loss)
UMass Lowell
New Hampshire
UMass
Manhattan
Cornell
Albany
Hofstra
Columbia

Agreed. Wanna bet that VTech won't make it in anyway? The strange downside of playing in a very, very strong conference.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:30 pm As I told my two daughters yesterday. Winning a conference championship (in their cases) or getting an NCAA bid is what it is all about. It's why they put in the hours, sacrifices, ups/downs, sweat, pain, etc. Not all players (actually not most players) in DI-DIII get that opportunity. So, while I want my little princesses to host and move on to the elite 8, just getting to the dance is tremendous. Don't take it for granted and enjoy the ride for as long as you can.

I remain hopeful that both Loyola and York will get hosting seeds, but I need to remind myself that it doesn't matter. It will be what it is, and the ride is what is important.

Go Hounds! Go Spartans!
+1.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

I think MD deserves the #2 seed at this point.

UNC
MD
BC
Tie between - SB, Loyola, Syr, NW
Toss up - Princeton, FL, Rutgers

Agree - no need to see a UNC/BC match up again, we know who the better team is.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Here tis. The last bit of fodder before the Selection Show makes all the dance cards official.

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... ith-debate

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”