2022 D1 Selection Committee

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Homer

Re: 2022 D1 Selection Committe

Post by Homer »

runrussellrun wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:12 pm Thought what was written was pretty factual. Maryland has beaten NOT one team that IS heading to the n$aa's. Not one.
Interesting. Who exactly "IS heading to the n$aa's?"

Can you list your 8 at-larges that don't include a team Maryland beat? We can see tonight if your list is right!
PicLax

Post by PicLax »

Crunch time. ND in. Duke, OSU and Harvard I think in play for final spot. I know Duke the higher RPI, but bad losses and no top 5 wins I think might take them out. OSU beat Harvard head-to-head, but that was second week of season (and Harvard’s second game in 2 years). Harvard has a top 5 win and better top wins overall. What does the committee value more? I won’t be shocked to see Harvard selected.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

a fan wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:19 pm Can't see the Committee leaving off the #7 RPI....using a system that is ENTIRELY built on RPI. In other words, QW metric is based on RPI rankings. And the SOS metric is based on RPI metrics.
Agreed. I think Duke is not only in but gets a seed. My bet is that the top-8 RPI are the seeds, with some minor shuffling just to prove the committee is actually doing something.
Last edited by CU77 on Sun May 08, 2022 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NYterp09

Post by NYterp09 »

masondixonlax wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:19 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:12 pm
masondixonlax wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:50 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:35 pm
a fan wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 12:56 pm
PicLax wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:58 am RPI, as everyone knows, is a failed methodology given the small sample sizes. On top of that, the RPI differences between the four or five bubble teams is statistically insignificant. If the committee leans more toward quality wins (vs 1-5, 6-10) vs poor loses, the final selection or two could be different than I think most people are anticipating.
I despise RPI. It's a stupid system that rewards losses to "good" teams.

That said, that's the number they use to determine both SOS and QW. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to do that, an ignore such a high RPI. Duke is at #8 as of this morning.

In other words, you say that there's little statistical difference in RPI....yet the NCAA values a win against an RPI #8 much higher than a win against an RPI#14.

So it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to use RPI for both QW and SOS...and yet at the same time, ignore Duke's high RPI of #8 at the end of the season. It would basically be saying that a win over Duke is a high QW in the eyes of the committee...yet at the same time, Duke doesn't merit a tournament bid. That doesn't make sense to me.

Duke has wins over (as of this morning) #9 UVa, #12 Richmond, #18 UNC, #18 UNC, and #20 Denver. Five top 20 wins, and a #8 RPI? Tough to not give them a bid, if you ask me. But I'm not in charge.
:lol:

we're sorry......Maryland has beaten how many teams playing (possibly) next weekend ? Not smelling much taste, in the Terps OCC bland schedule.

Beat UAlbany.....a team trounced by AE winner Vermont. neato. Throw in a sprigg of Patriot league expired Loyola and a pinch of Princeton pepper....and BLAND.....all you got for out of conference flavoring ? CAA ? NEC ? Albert Stryrons Store? WHo won the Big East match up, Gtown or Maryland.
think you're alone on this opinion
What "opinion" would that be? Thought what was written was pretty factual. Maryland has beaten NOT one team that IS heading to the n$aa's. Not one.

Princeton couldn't even make it's own league tournament....yet are getting an invite :lol: seems logical

carry on
...you're an idiot. "They has beat NOT one team that IS heading the the NCAA's"... Rutgers is going to the NCAA's, as is Notre Dame, UVA, and possibly Ohio state
He’s trying to be edgy by pointing out that the terps haven’t beaten anyone who won their conference tournament. It’s a completely meaningless point to make as he undoubtedly knows.
NYterp09

Post by NYterp09 »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:15 pm I posted this in the Gtown thread, but I have the feeling either Gtown or MD is gonna get screwed in the quarters. Watching all these Ivy teams, I would have to imagine the top 2 seeds would much rather play them then the lower seeded ACC in the quarters.
100% agree. Would much rather play any of the Ivies than duke or nd or uva.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:07 pm
rolldodge wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:27 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:18 pm I recall some of these conversations on Lp which would predate this. It was really that 07-09 selection stretch that had everyone focus. Especially 07. Then having ND get in instead of GT in 2010 and making it to the finals so I sort of disagree that the discussion didn’t exist. He may have illuminated a lot of folks but to say no one understood before then I recall differently with a very high degree of confidence.

Heck there was one person who migrated over who showed up at the tail end of LP, a Rutgers fanatic, who refused to listen for two straight years to how the methodology is applied and why they missed the cut. At least one year to Hop. Did not listen to numerous people explaining it. And that would be before 7yrs ago
Fair enough. I agree with your recollection But LAF took those discussions and made a rational system out of them that could be pointed to and evaluated year to year.
Yes, he did!

Any of you following the monkey wrench's today? Penn is about to take down Yale, and BU is up on Army late in the 4th.

Crazy year! I love it!
I’m excited to see BU and Richmond in. Two programs started in the last decade and not in the play in game going by RPI which would inidicate UVM, Manhattan, RoMo & Del.

That’s what the AQ is all about.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
calourie

Post by calourie »

NYterp09 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:29 pm
PicLax wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:58 am RPI, as everyone knows, is a failed methodology given the small sample sizes. On top of that, the RPI differences between the four or five bubble teams is statistically insignificant. If the committee leans more toward quality wins (vs 1-5, 6-10) vs poor loses, the final selection or two could be different than I think most people are anticipating.

That said, that's the number they use to determine both SOS and QW. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to do that, an ignore such a high RPI. Duke is at #8 as of this morning.

In other words, you say that there's little statistical difference in RPI....yet the NCAA values a win against an RPI #8 much higher than a win against an RPI#14.

So it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to use RPI for both QW and SOS...and yet at the same time, ignore Duke's high RPI of #8 at the end of the season. It would basically be saying that a win over Duke is a high QW in the eyes of the committee...yet at the same time, Duke doesn't merit a tournament bid. That doesn't make sense to me.

Duke has wins over (as of this morning) #9 UVa, #12 Richmond, #18 UNC, #18 UNC, and #20 Denver. Five top 20 wins, and a #8 RPI? Tough to not give them a bid, if you ask me. But I'm not in charge.

we're sorry......Maryland has beaten how many teams playing (possibly) next weekend ? Not smelling much taste, in the Terps OCC bland schedule.

Beat UAlbany.....a team trounced by AE winner Vermont. neato. Throw in a sprigg of Patriot league expired Loyola and a pinch of Princeton pepper....and BLAND.....all you got for out of conference flavoring ? CAA ? NEC ? Albert Stryrons Store? WHo won the Big East match up, Gtown or Maryland.
What "opinion" would that be? Thought what was written was pretty factual. Maryland has beaten NOT one team that IS heading to the n$aa's. Not one.

Princeton couldn't even make it's own league tournament....yet are getting an invite :lol: seems logical

carry on
...you're an idiot. "They has beat NOT one team that IS heading the the NCAA's"... Rutgers is going to the NCAA's, as is Notre Dame, UVA, and possibly Ohio state
He’s trying to be edgy by pointing out that the terps haven’t beaten anyone who won their conference tournament. It’s a completely meaningless point to make as he undoubtedly knows.
"undoubtedly" is a stretch.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

carry on

also pointing out that a "math metric" that one don't utilize league interplay is silly.

oh, and also....Boston U just lost ....LOST....in the Patriot league championship. BU has a top 10 rpi......so, n$aa's inviting BOTH Army and Boston U?

exactly
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

CU77 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:13 pm Final RPI after Penn & BU wins:

1. Maryland 0.6920
2. Georgetown 0.6536
3. Princeton 0.6519
4. Penn 0.6514
5. Rutgers 0.6294
6. Yale 0.6235
7. Duke 0.6121
8. Cornell 0.6103
9. Virginia 0.6051
10. Brown 0.6038
11. Notre Dame 0.6019
12. BU 0.5990
13. Richmond 0.5936
14. Harvard 0.5863
15. OSU 0.5863
Is 14/15 different out another decimal place or a tie?

Either way OSU looks out unless they really want to overweight non RPI metrics.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

runrussellrun wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:35 pm

carry on

also pointing out that a "math metric" that one don't utilize league interplay is silly.

oh, and also....Boston U just lost ....LOST....in the Patriot league championship. BU has a top 10 rpi......so, n$aa's inviting BOTH Army and Boston U?

exactly
You gotta take a break from the gravity bong today.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/game/61091/2022
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

a fan

Post by a fan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:33 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:18 pm I recall some of these conversations on Lp which would predate this. It was really that 07-09 selection stretch that had everyone focus. Especially 07. Then having ND get in instead of GT in 2010 and making it to the finals so I sort of disagree that the discussion didn’t exist. He may have illuminated a lot of folks but to say no one understood before then I recall differently with a very high degree of confidence.

Heck there was one person who migrated over who showed up at the tail end of LP, a Rutgers fanatic, who refused to listen for two straight years to how the methodology is applied and why they missed the cut. At least one year to Hop. Did not listen to numerous people explaining it. And that would be before 7yrs ago
Fair enough. I agree with your recollection But LAF took those discussions and made a rational system out of them that could be pointed to and evaluated year to year.
Yes, he did!

Any of you following the monkey wrench's today? Penn is about to take down Yale, and BU is up on Army late in the 4th.

Crazy year! I love it!
I’m excited to see BU and Richmond in. Two programs started in the last decade and not in the play in game going by RPI which would inidicate UVM, Manhattan, RoMo & Del.

+1 ! Love these AQs. As much as many fans complained about them over the years, it's obvious to me that it's spread the wealth and talent around in Division I.....making every game that much more fun to watch.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

carry on

exactly

Uhhh Boston U just won…. What alternate universe are you living in buddy
Homer

Post by Homer »

This is like performance art or something.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

CU77 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:29 pm
a fan wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:19 pm Can't see the Committee leaving off the #7 RPI....using a system that is ENTIRELY built on RPI. In other words, QW metric is based on RPI rankings. And the SOS metric is based on RPI metrics.
Agreed. I think Duke is not only in but gets a seed. My bet is that the top-8 RPI are the seeds, with some minor shuffling just to prove the committee is actually doing something.
While Duke may get in, I highly doubt they get a seed. My prediction for seeds:
1) Terps
2) Hoyas
3) Penn
4) Princeton
5) Rutgers
6) Yale
7) UVa
8) Cornell

The committee will switch UVa with Cornell to prevent them from meeting the Terps before the finals.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Homer wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:44 pm
Alternative universe stuff. Alternative "facts" don't do it justice.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:41 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:33 pm

Yes, he did!

Crazy year! I love it!

+1 ! Love these AQs. As much as many fans complained about them over the years, it's obvious to me that it's spread the wealth and talent around in Division I.....making every game that much more fun to watch.
The grumbling is from folks who don’t understand the concept or reason the AQ exists but want the spoils of broader participation. I made this point to some folks back in the LP days. Nobody wanted to hear it. Or admit it. As storied as the program is I think this hurt Hop as much or more than anyone (and Hobart who also will never have a natural conference home but as some petulant fans have occasionally tried to point out in petty ways no one cares about Bart so…)

Could’ve been all the more noteworthy had Utah held on in Q4 against RoMo.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

masondixonlax wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:43 pm

carry on

exactly

Uhhh Boston U just won…. What alternate universe are you living in buddy
This one

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BceHGzsDVLY
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Uh I believe I ordered a large cappuccino…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ILWxB2ziDxE
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

calourie wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:46 pm
Alternative universe stuff. Alternative "facts" don't do it justice.
ahuh......

reality sayz Army lost....yet STILL have a pretty good rpi.

They getting in....... Army , with that good record, over Notre Dame?

Don't see many Patriot or CAA opponents on the 'irish' schedule.......so THEY must be the best, too :roll:

good thing the Terps "survived" the BiG gautlet. Yale lost to Nitme Lions.....scary good, they are ;)

let's do math.............. :lol: :lol: in the real world, winning doesn't matter. Glad the NHL does it's playoffs by rpi.....go brewins
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

F**k it, I’m doubling down and hitting while the dealer has an Ace and I’m sitting on an 8.
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Sun May 08, 2022 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”