Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by jhu06 »

laxpert wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:51 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:27 pm One of the top offensive guys in the portal (not Dordevic) is reportedly deciding between Hopkins, another Big Ten school, and an ACC school. We'll see what happens. Could decide to go elsewhere but the Jays are in the mix. He has no connection to Baltimore that I know of.

Ruffled is on the money as usual with some measured, nuanced sanity. Trolls come here to troll and then clutch their pearls when someone treats them as such. It'd be kind of funny if it weren't so pathetic. Just nothing better to do.
Maybe a lil NIL money will help sway the unnamed player JHU's way.
I still don't know what a Grant jr attackman, a grant jr midfielder and a grant jr offense looks like and which current 2023 roster players fit that bill and which don't.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:37 pm Thanks also, I find a lot of agreement with your thoughts. And maybe then that’s why you grab a kid like Docs proposed SJU -Huber, I just don’t think he’s going to move the needle in any meaningful way and potentially hurts a rebuild situation which is different than what, say, Rutgers is doing. I’m not sure the portal even makes sense during a rebuild rather than a reload where you’re adding incrementally.

I don’t get why it was antagonistic based on Docs post, and he replied, whether it is a thesis I agree with doesn’t matter, all I was looking for is when one makes a statement like his about hitting that portal. Then combine in with the vast number of folks who seem to think this is the pros and the portal is recruiting 2.0 as a perpetual state rather than this interim Covid fueled 5th movement that’ll last 4yrs but really peak in ur 2 or 3 (this current seasons 5th yr transfers or next) along with what we know is heavy activity by CURRENTLY much more in demand either due to current success or a name coach w a title in hand etc such as Md, Rut, OSU, ND, UVA, UNC, Duke, Denver and GT (plus anyone I missed) and I’m wondering with a relatively lesser known coach, a pretty rough rebuild/down stretch here what’s the path to make strides via the portal? It seems like anachronistic thinking based on how things were 15-25yrs ago competitively. Not exactly the same but I think the model maybe should be more like Warne at GT. Allow for a full on tear down and rebuild, then in year 4-5 start looking to add incremental “external” help to the team with its “new” culture. I could be wrong but that’s why I asked. Sure I threw in a couple of easy sale points but only to skip those since they don’t do anything in today’s environment given the competitive landscape in my view.
As far as the post coming off as antagonistic some of it surely is just a lack of tone with written text and to me it was probably the way you mentioned discounting or throwing out the potentially standard recruiting tools. "why on earth would someone come to JHU?, ignore the long history of program tradition because you haven't done a thing of merit recently, the education isn't that special, the location sucks, the team is currently bad". This is overselling it of course but it seemed like you rolled out the laundry list of standard troll reasons for why Hopkins sucks, game has passed it by forever and should just go D3 and to me it wasn't clear until after your replied to Docs answer to you that we were even maybe just talking more pointedly about one year mercenaries.

I agree that one shouldn't be assuming we can make major strides in the portal but if you have an opportunity to bring in someone to make your team better you should still probably take that opportunity. Bringing in as big of a haul as UMD or Rutgers over the last few years is not to be expected and is probably bad for business in terms of keeping your current roster happy but there should only be so many hurt feelings from bringing in a few folks. If you get a few more wins next year or your incoming recruits can learn from a mercenary that you "conned" into joining a down and out JHU squad all the better. Winning cures all ills and we're basically at the open tryouts stage for almost every spot on the field next year. You don't want so many that you are actually taking up playing time from proper up and coming talent but there should be space on the roster for everyone to earn their starting spot if they deserve it. You go after some positions of bigger need and see what happens. If you get lucky with a great player fantastic but it definitely shouldn't be treated as giving a spring training invite to anyone and everyone who wants one.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:33 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:37 pm Thanks also, I find a lot of agreement with your thoughts. And maybe then that’s why you grab a kid like Docs proposed SJU -Huber, I just don’t think he’s going to move the needle in any meaningful way and potentially hurts a rebuild situation which is different than what, say, Rutgers is doing. I’m not sure the portal even makes sense during a rebuild rather than a reload where you’re adding incrementally.

I don’t get why it was antagonistic based on Docs post, and he replied, whether it is a thesis I agree with doesn’t matter, all I was looking for is when one makes a statement like his about hitting that portal. Then combine in with the vast number of folks who seem to think this is the pros and the portal is recruiting 2.0 as a perpetual state rather than this interim Covid fueled 5th movement that’ll last 4yrs but really peak in ur 2 or 3 (this current seasons 5th yr transfers or next) along with what we know is heavy activity by CURRENTLY much more in demand either due to current success or a name coach w a title in hand etc such as Md, Rut, OSU, ND, UVA, UNC, Duke, Denver and GT (plus anyone I missed) and I’m wondering with a relatively lesser known coach, a pretty rough rebuild/down stretch here what’s the path to make strides via the portal? It seems like anachronistic thinking based on how things were 15-25yrs ago competitively. Not exactly the same but I think the model maybe should be more like Warne at GT. Allow for a full on tear down and rebuild, then in year 4-5 start looking to add incremental “external” help to the team with its “new” culture. I could be wrong but that’s why I asked. Sure I threw in a couple of easy sale points but only to skip those since they don’t do anything in today’s environment given the competitive landscape in my view.
As far as the post coming off as antagonistic some of it surely is just a lack of tone with written text and to me it was probably the way you mentioned discounting or throwing out the potentially standard recruiting tools. "why on earth would someone come to JHU?, ignore the long history of program tradition because you haven't done a thing of merit recently, the education isn't that special, the location sucks, the team is currently bad". This is overselling it of course but it seemed like you rolled out the laundry list of standard troll reasons for why Hopkins sucks, game has passed it by forever and should just go D3 and to me it wasn't clear until after your replied to Docs answer to you that we were even maybe just talking more pointedly about one year mercenaries.

I agree that one shouldn't be assuming we can make major strides in the portal but if you have an opportunity to bring in someone to make your team better you should still probably take that opportunity. Bringing in as big of a haul as UMD or Rutgers over the last few years is not to be expected and is probably bad for business in terms of keeping your current roster happy but there should only be so many hurt feelings from bringing in a few folks. If you get a few more wins next year or your incoming recruits can learn from a mercenary that you "conned" into joining a down and out JHU squad all the better. Winning cures all ills and we're basically at the open tryouts stage for almost every spot on the field next year. You don't want so many that you are actually taking up playing time from proper up and coming talent but there should be space on the roster for everyone to earn their starting spot if they deserve it. You go after some positions of bigger need and see what happens. If you get lucky with a great player fantastic but it definitely shouldn't be treated as giving a spring training invite to anyone and everyone who wants one.
Fair enough. I mean it’s all game theory so anyone with a brain knows Milliman has to call everyone above average in the portal to at least create the potential option.

Hard to envision the “con” scenario unless it’s a kid who really liked Milliman from his Cornell days or local/stem focused graduate. Sure if one shows up and it helps on the margin with younger kids in picking up an extra win or two next year that’s accretive. But I think of Dordevic, from Oregon, who chose (respectfully) Syracuse for his undergrad and can’t see it. But a good player from a smaller program? My criticism of Huber was if you want the merc to help who’s talented but coming from a smaller program then you want them to at least have won some meaningful games over their career even on a relative level, not someone who piles up stats in seasons where theyre -7 to -10 g/pg avg over the course of the season and teams who’ve racked up 20 or less wins over a four year career. Can look to the kids who’ve moved in from Bart, Gate and Bucknell and I think that gives you a taste of what you might be potentially looking at. The scorers on smaller schools who didn’t win much are best served being useful at a mid tier program (whatever that means), ie Frankenky going from MSM to Richmond or Lilberg from SHU to UMass where an additional piece of depth could be the difference between a rare at large or AQ and being competitive in the tourney coming out of a AE/CAA/SoCon
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:27 pm One of the top offensive guys in the portal (not Dordevic) is reportedly deciding between Hopkins, another Big Ten school, and an ACC school. We'll see what happens. Could decide to go elsewhere but the Jays are in the mix. He has no connection to Baltimore that I know of.

Ruffled is on the money as usual with some measured, nuanced sanity. Trolls come here to troll and then clutch their pearls when someone treats them as such. It'd be kind of funny if it weren't so pathetic. Just nothing better to do.
Completely wild, speculative guess:

Austin Madronic, Harvard attackman from Canada with box lacrosse experience?

I think he has two seasons of eligibility remaining.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
HappyGilmore

Post by HappyGilmore »

51percentcorn wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:37 pm
HappyGilmore wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:19 am You can believe what you want, but Jr. Favors his “Canadian guys”. Let’s see how it plays out.
So how do you come by this - there are 5 Canadians on the team - 2 "recruited" by the current staff - 3 recruited by Petro
Peshko played in every one and was the leading mid-fielder in goals
Raposo got a run or two in most games but took a whopping total of 9 shots
Phillips appeared in 4 games - 1 shot
Charboneau appeared in 2 games - bagels across the board except for 1 turnover
Handsor DNP

Where do you guys come up with this stuff? Do you want to give Collison back? I think Maryland might take him.

Here's a piece of irony too - if someone like Phillips transferred and became a good player - PM and Junior would get crucified for not keeping him
I know how some of the guys on the team have been treated. Jr. Is an ass. What did he do that was positive this year?
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

HappyGilmore wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 12:29 am I know how some of the guys on the team have been treated. Jr. Is an ass. What did he do that was positive this year?
OK fine - you're obviously perfectly welcome to your opinion of JR but that's not what you said - you said he favors the Canadians and the only tangible evidence you can possibly drag up is a one or two runs in games for Raposo? Who scored twice and was a reason you beat Loyola? I think Phillips and Charboneau would like to hear about this favoritism.
BTW - I know some families from the Air Force teams while he was there - overall positive expereince with JR.

As far as what JR did that was positive - I couldn't possibly say - I was never there. However, I will point to someone - Benson. For 14 seasons he was the Jays OC and besides one somewhat disputed rumor he was in the running for the UMBC job his name was never in the mix for all the HC jobs that came up over that time. Now - it appears he might be in the running - if he wants - for almost any opening - as Dixie was making a case for him at Providence. Why is that? Wouldn't have anything to do with the players would it?
jhu06 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:26 pm I still don't know what a Grant jr attackman, a grant jr midfielder and a grant jr offense looks like and which current 2023 roster players fit that bill and which don't.
Hopkins GPG in last 10 years
2022 - 10.9
2021 - 11.1
2020 - 10.8
2019 - 12.1
2018 - 11.7
2017 - 11.6
2016 - 12.3
2015 - 13.0
2014- 12.0
2013 - 11.5

So the greatest delta you can find is 2.1 gpg from a Final Four Team that had Ryan Brown/Shack Stanwick/Wells Stanwick/Joel Tinney/John Crawley/Connor Reed along with other good complimentary players like Fraser and Valis. So I have a request and a question - please identify the corresponding talent to the 2015 team that JR so mis-used AND what does a JHU benson attackman/midfielder and offense look like?

I think if JR had those 8 guys they would score around 13 goals per game.

OH BTW - the closest Benson coordinated team to this current group? - 2020 of course - lowest of all 10 and it wasn't going to get better
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Benson was not interested in a HC job those years.

Jr’s offense this year was seriously lacking. Neither Jr nor PM are known for their social skills. D played ok and improved, on O a few players were not in their best positions. The stats on TOs, clears etc were not good. At the beginning of the year weaknesses were going to be corrected by coaching per posters but they weren’t. MD game was again over in the 3Q and mistakes were again featured
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

BTW - it's absurd - as his takes usually are - to put forth that Milliman's success or failure is tied in part to retaining seniors and minimg the transfer portal. Primarily because it's two way street. Every player could respect and want to play for him but circumstances can dictate other decisions. Plus - his potential base is 57 if Maher comes back - that's with no transfers. Those numbers just do not work.
Milliman's Senior priorities have to be
Degnon - no discussion necessary
Narewski - if he leaves the FO room is thin and one of the 3 left is a freshman
McManus - Tantalizing athlete - but even retaining him likely means Todaro and others are picking splinters out of their rears from sitting on the bench - but would the defense probably be better if he stayed - yes
Epstein - The ship has likely sailed but if he walked into the office and said "Skip I want that last year" you would have to listen and I know nothing on this topic but one can certainly envision that they might be done with each other
Lilly - footspeed still a bit of an issue - see Long's goal 23 seconds in - but in the BIG semi Maryland tried hte exact same thing to start the game and he was ready. He played hard

Transfers - who knows - I could once again list all the obstacles to obtaining transfers but that's wasted bits and bytes. Bottom line is - while Hopkins certainly would appear to offer some starting playing spots to talent - so do alot of other teams - and Hopkins smaller academic footprint in terms of graduate offerings is not a bonus in this equation.
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

OCanada wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:48 am Benson was not interested in a HC job those years.

Jr’s offense this year was seriously lacking. Neither Jr nor PM are known for their social skills. D played ok and improved, on O a few players were not in their best positions. The stats on TOs, clears etc were not good. At the beginning of the year weaknesses were going to be corrected by coaching per posters but they weren’t. MD game was again over in the 3Q and mistakes were again featured
Doesn’t answer the question as to whether Benson’s massive success the last two years is more tied to superior talent than coaching given his mediocre offensive statistics (outside of man up %) the 10 years prior.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

OCanada wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:48 am Benson was not interested in a HC job those years.

Hm. Several dubious points to address here.

- How many of Maryland's games were not over in the third quarter? Did you see what they just did to Rutgers? This Maryland team is one of the best of all time.

- Why won't you just acknowledge that the offense in 2020 was also bad — arguably even worse. And that team had Cole Williams and Owen Murphy! You're acting like this is a new problem created by this staff. Here's where things ultimately stand right now:

Offense - same as when Petro left
Defense - better than when Petro left

Great, so they couldn't move heaven and earth and fix the offense in two seasons with a lot of the same personnel. That's true. I think there's a decent chance the offense improves with the next couple of recruiting classes and maybe a transfer or two. Others disagree. The great thing is, we're going to find out. If it doesn't get any better then we'll get to have this discussion all over again about a new staff.

- Clears and turnovers were horrendous in the first half of the season but they *did* improve. First eight games clearing percentage: 79%. Second eight games: 87%. First eight games TOs: 18 per game. Second eight games: 15.3 per game.

Even if that weren't the case, again, you act like this is some new phenomenon. How many times in Petro's last few seasons were there egregious fundamental mistakes that never got fixed over the course of a season? Remember the year with the constant, and I mean *constant*, offsides penalties? All the missed slides? The years with historically bad shooting, never even putting shots on cage? I don't recall you ever pointing any of those things out.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:31 pm
ICGrad wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:29 pm
Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:17 pm As for the mention of the state of Baltimore city and its relationship with recruiting at the end of the day I think that can be applied as globally to every recruiting situation as the notion that "everyone on Earth wants to go to big football U".
Does anyone actually say this or believe it? I've never heard it (and I did my graduate work at a big football school).

Anyway, we're at 5 pages; at this rate, by the end of the weekend this Hopkins 2023 thread will have more pages than the Delaware Blue Hens 2022 thread (which stands at 10 pages, in case you're wondering).
Give it a week or two and we'll have more pages than there are Cornell lacrosse fans in the world.
This says more about the tremendous amount of losers following a terrible team. It’s like the NY Jets fan page outnumbering the KC Chiefs and bragging about it. Lots of Jets fans still think it’s 1969. #DelusionalFanBase :lol:
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Henpecked wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:27 am
Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:17 pm As for the mention of the state of Baltimore city and its relationship with recruiting at the end of the day I think that can be applied as globally to every recruiting situation as the notion that "everyone on Earth wants to go to big football U".
Does anyone actually say this or believe it? I've never heard it (and I did my graduate work at a big football school).

Anyway, we're at 5 pages; at this rate, by the end of the weekend this Hopkins 2023 thread will have more pages than the Delaware Blue Hens 2022 thread (which stands at 10 pages, in case you're wondering).
Give it a week or two and we'll have more pages than there are Cornell lacrosse fans in the world.
This says more about the tremendous amount of losers following a terrible team. It’s like the NY Jets fan page outnumbering the KC Chiefs and bragging about it. Lots of Jets fans still think it’s 1969. #DelusionalFanBase :lol:
JoeWillie appearance in 3, 2, 1...
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

You just compare a team that's won one playoff game in 8 years to an NFL team that's made 4 straight AFC championships winning two of those including a Super Bowl title? LOL.

Delaware wasn't much better attendance-wise, btw. Only averaged 830 fans per game (worse than CAA team Fairfield), which is pathetic for a school so close to the Maryland/Philly lacrosse hotbeds. Another program nobody cares about. We've won a playoff game this century, something the Hens have yet to do. So if we're losers for following Hopkins then what does that make you? You're following a team that literally hasn't won a game in the NCAA tournament since Ricky Martin's "Livin La Vida Loca" was topping the charts.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:47 am You just compare a team that's won one playoff game in 8 years to an NFL team that's made 4 straight AFC championships winning two of those including a Super Bowl title? LOL.

Delaware wasn't much better attendance-wise, btw. Only averaged 830 fans per game (worse than CAA team Fairfield), which is pathetic for a school so close to the Maryland/Philly lacrosse hotbeds. Another program nobody cares about. We've won a playoff game this century, something the Hens have yet to do. So if we're losers for following Hopkins then what does that make you? You're following a team that literally hasn't won a game in the NCAA tournament since Ricky Martin's "Livin La Vida Loca" was topping the charts.
Jesus, you need to lighten up, Francis. I mean, damn...

Relax. Go take a bath. Call your mom and tell her you miss her. Have a beer. Something. Anything.

You've lost all perspective, dude.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Wait , what? Namath just hit Sauer and the Jets are up 16-7. Tomorrow, Jan 13, 1969, I am going to party like it's 1976 in Ithaca.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

ICGrad wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:01 am
HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:47 am You just compare a team that's won one playoff game in 8 years to an NFL team that's made 4 straight AFC championships winning two of those including a Super Bowl title? LOL.

Relax. Go take a bath. Call your mom and tell her you miss her. Have a beer. Something. Anything.

My man parachuted in out of nowhere and called Hopkins fans "delusional losers" for caring about their team. If you come here to troll, you're going to get treated as one. Not sure why that's a shock. Don't dish it out if you can't take it. Pretty simple stuff.
Homer

Post by Homer »

Henpecked wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:27 am Lots of Jets fans still think it’s 1969. #DelusionalFanBase :lol:
I've never understood the theory that fans of bad teams are people who delusionally believe the team is actually good. Like, my general sense of Jets fans is the opposite. These poor souls are obligated through no fault of their own to watch 17 Jets games a year. I don't think they've somehow missed the part where the Jets are terrible.

Showing up to awaken them -- or Hopkins fans, or fans of any team enduring a long decline or losing streak -- from their delusions is like thinking you're doing a public service by going into prisons to explain to the inmates that the food there tastes bad. We know that! We eat this $#*t three times a day!
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:07 am

My man parachuted in out of nowhere and called Hopkins fans "delusional losers" for caring about their team. If you come here to troll, you're going to get treated as one. Not sure why that's a shock. Don't dish it out if you can't take it.
And he had the audacity to call us Jet Fans
Delusional losers. What the hell? We just won the Super Bowl 53 years ago and are on a bit of a slide right now , but we won 4 games last year and were competitive in at least 2 other games. Based on the rate of success for the Jets lately, we only have to wait until 2075 for our next championship. Things are looking up at 1 Jets drive.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

But we average like 3,000 fans a game bro! It’s epic. And students are on chat board for this fastest growing (from a insignificant base) sport here so yeah!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

joewillie78 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:07 am

Wait , what? Namath just hit Sauer and the Jets are up 16-7. Tomorrow, Jan 13, 1969, I am going to party like it's 1976 in Ithaca.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
And revive prince from the dead like Tupcac at Coachella to remake his track.

Tonight we gonna party in Barton Hall like it’s 1976…

1977 would flow a little better to the music if you sing it in your head.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”