D1 Womens Lacrosse
Seacoaster(1)

Re: Duke

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Sigh.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

As no acknowledgement was ever received that my original point was correct, nor even when the goalposts were moved to make this about the SOS formula, (where I was also proved correct), is why I brought up the Group of 5 again. If after the moving of the goalposts one person had said, "Yeah--I see your point." I would have dropped it a long time ago. But no such admission was ever made, just the digging in of heels and deny, deny, accuse instead. Sour grapes is another way to say it.

Was such an admission ever made? Not that I've read. Maybe someone could copy a link of that and include it in the response. I won't hold my breath.

So, that's it. I learned a ton about the math formulae the NCAA uses as arbiter for the Tournament. In that respect, it was all worth it. I'll never view SOS/RPI the same again. The one saving grace is the best team wins the national championship every year. And that has nothing to do with mishegaas math formulas.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

Update for those who stayed on point discussing the SOS of the entire schedule for teams.
sos 0506.png
sos 0506.png (7.49 KiB) Viewed 1514 times
http://college.laxpower2.com/womx/rating01x.php
Last edited by @inthe8m on Sat May 07, 2022 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
OuttaNowhereWregget

@inthe8m wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:07 pm Update for those of who stayed on point discussing the SOS of the entire schedule for teams.

sos 0506.png

http://college.laxpower2.com/womx/rating01x.php
So Jeremy--does the above square with the SOS numbers you get for the entire schedule for teams?
jeremyfallis wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:26 pm The NCAA only updates every Monday morning. Lacrossereference.com site updates quite frequently, and the data is reliable (an exact replica of the formulas the NCAA uses).
OuttaNowhereWregget

Gee--no sarcastica awards about beating a dead horse?
No chidings about incessantly and compulsively bringing this up over and over and over?
No exhortations to move on?
No sighs?

I guess when an opinion fits with an approved narrative there's no problem. Shocker.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Please point out to me the huge disparity in regular season schedules here. I have arranged each schedule from highest ranked/considered teams to weakest. I did it approximately when it came to the middle tier to lower ranked/considered teams. I don't see a difference that would warrant Duke's schedule not fitting right in with these other teams for degree of difficulty. Only a mishegaas math formula would arrive at a different place, placing Loyola right alongside Duke in the process.

Oh, and if anyone wants to tell me about SOS rankings again--please provide a complete list of all the teams that were considered to have tougher schedules before Duke so we can examine them for ourselves.

Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:28 am Please point out to me the huge disparity in regular season schedules here. I have arranged each schedule from highest ranked/considered teams to weakest. I did it approximately when it came to the middle tier to lower ranked/considered teams. I don't see a difference that would warrant Duke's schedule not fitting right in with these other teams for degree of difficulty. Only a mishegaas math formula would arrive at a different place, placing Loyola right alongside Duke in the process.

Oh, and if anyone wants to tell me about SOS rankings again--please provide a complete list of all the teams that were considered to have tougher schedules before Duke so we can examine them for ourselves.

It was mentioned on one of the broadcasts (yesterday) that the "eye test" should be applied by the committee. Now, I know that isn't possible, but if Duke or Florida gets to host and Loyola/SBU don't, that is stoopid. You can't control how good a team is going to be year to year when you schedule them years in advance. You cant control how good your conference is going to be...SOS/RPI is a flawed system. Old school NCAA rankings would be based on opinions, eye tests and reading box scores. The math has caused more problems than solutions.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Dr. Tact wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:45 am It was mentioned on one of the broadcasts (yesterday) that the "eye test" should be applied by the committee. Now, I know that isn't possible, but if Duke or Florida gets to host and Loyola/SBU don't, that is stoopid. You can't control how good a team is going to be year to year when you schedule them years in advance. You cant control how good your conference is going to be...SOS/RPI is a flawed system. Old school NCAA rankings would be based on opinions, eye tests and reading box scores. The math has caused more problems than solutions.
Thank you, Doc. Now that's all I've been looking for. A down to earth, common sense response.

wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:15 am Image

No chidings about incessantly and compulsively bringing this up over and over and over?
No sighs?

I guess when an opinion fits with an approved narrative there's no problem. Shocker.
It was posted in response TO YOU who continued to incessantly and compulsively bring it up over and over and over and over. And you somehow can’t realize that over how loud you’re crying victim. Shocker.

It has been pointed out and spelled out several times where the breakdown in the discussion started and it has nothing to do with the post you keep referring to as your “original point”.

People mostly disagreed with two other posts, backed it up with evidence, and then you threw a big fat toddler tantrum built on hysterical delusion that still hasn’t ended.
crazyhorse

Post by crazyhorse »

Dr. Tact's post was indeed a common sense response. Many of us have weighed in on the flaws of using RPI/SOS over on the "Bracketology" thread and there does not appear to be any dispute that the system would benefit from an eye test component.

As for the "Duke" thread, the issue was never the validity of the RPI system - it was you getting your hackles up over reasoned responses that dared to question you.

I am actually feeling quite sad for you this morning. It must be really hard to be you, with your antagonistic personality that always has to be right, travelling from thread to thread to stir the pot and create controversy. (I know...I yam who I yam - insert Popeye meme here). I am praying for you to find some peace.

Finally, in the wise words of Admin, "Outta, chill". Read the room. Move on. Please.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

crazyhorse wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:28 am Dr. Tact's post was indeed a common sense response. Many of us have weighed in on the flaws of using RPI/SOS over on the "Bracketology" thread and there does not appear to be any dispute that the system would benefit from an eye test component.

As for the "Duke" thread, the issue was never the validity of the RPI system - it was you getting your hackles up over reasoned responses that dared to question you.

I am actually feeling quite sad for you this morning. It must be really hard to be you, with your antagonistic personality that always has to be right, travelling from thread to thread to stir the pot and create controversy. (I know...I yam who I yam - insert Popeye meme here). I am praying for you to find some peace.

Finally, in the wise words of Admin, "Outta, chill". Read the room. Move on. Please.
This was much better said.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:32 am
crazyhorse wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:28 am Dr. Tact's post was indeed a common sense response. Many of us have weighed in on the flaws of using RPI/SOS over on the "Bracketology" thread and there does not appear to be any dispute that the system would benefit from an eye test component.

This was much better said.
Thank you both.
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

THIS ^^^
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:12 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:15 am Image

No sighs?

It was posted in response TO YOU who continued to incessantly and compulsively bring it up over and over and over and over. And you somehow can’t realize that over how loud you’re crying victim. Shocker.

It has been pointed out and spelled out several times where the breakdown in the discussion started and it has nothing to do with the post you keep referring to as your “original point”.

People mostly disagreed with two other posts, backed it up with evidence, and then you threw a big fat toddler tantrum built on hysterical delusion that still hasn’t ended.
AND this ^^^
OuttaNowhereWregget

crazyhorse wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:28 am I am praying for you to find some peace.
Thank you for this. The Lord heard and answered your prayer. He has been gently prompting me for the past months to make a move away from strife and debate when interacting with others. He used this morning as an opportunity, no doubt in response to your prayer, to remind me again. You, and others, are right – I have been wrong and out of line in how I have conducted myself in response to the comments of others to my original point. I apologize. Please forgive me. With God’s patient help, I will do better. Thanks again.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Can Duke regain their mojo?

The Duke that knocked off Boston College could certainly brush by Hop and give Maryland a run in the Sweet Sixteen. The Duke that got dragged by Carolina and then Notre Dame seems to have been broken like Humpty Dumpty. Can they get it back in the tournament? It remains to be seen. I’m leaning no.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

I think it's time to talk about Duke. The Blue Devils lost to upstart Clemson this weekend. Duke is considered by many to be a top 10 program. As a program of that stature, you have no business losing to a first time D1 program in their inaugural season. No excuse. Clemson is already ahead of schedule. They have a top 10 recruiting class coming in, which would have been impressive for any program, let alone a new one.

At this rate Duke will be surpassed by Clemson in a few short years. We need to start looking at coaching and the philosophy of this program. They stuff their schedule with cupcakes so their players can pad stats and look good on paper. Then they are unprepared when facing teams of equal or better talent. How are these players not ready for these games? Anytime they get a good win against a quality team it feels like a fluke as opposed to earned. Because they fall flat on their face so often it's become expected. This team shouldn't be anywhere near the NCAA tournament.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Most people who follow up the game are well aware of what plagues the Dook program.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Kleizaster wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:21 am I think it's time to talk about Duke. The Blue Devils lost to upstart Clemson this weekend. Duke is considered by many to be a top 10 program. As a program of that stature, you have no business losing to a first time D1 program in their inaugural season. No excuse. Clemson is already ahead of schedule. They have a top 10 recruiting class coming in, which would have been impressive for any program, let alone a new one.

At this rate Duke will be surpassed by Clemson in a few short years. We need to start looking at coaching and the philosophy of this program. They stuff their schedule with cupcakes so their players can pad stats and look good on paper. Then they are unprepared when facing teams of equal or better talent. How are these players not ready for these games? Anytime they get a good win against a quality team it feels like a fluke as opposed to earned. Because they fall flat on their face so often it's become expected. This team shouldn't be anywhere near the NCAA tournament.
^^Good points ^^

Its been time to talk about Dook since 2015...Since then (not including the marshmallow schedule of last year) they have been 55-46. Include last year's 16-4 and they are 71-50. Is that first record one would think of for a perennially ranked top 10 team? 6 Years of mediocrity when the most victories they had was 11 of 19 or 20 games. But yet, they always seem to be in the rankings.

I agree with watcher...
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Kleizaster wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:21 am I think it's time to talk about Duke. The Blue Devils lost to upstart Clemson this weekend. Duke is considered by many to be a top 10 program. As a program of that stature, you have no business losing to a first time D1 program in their inaugural season. No excuse. Clemson is already ahead of schedule. They have a top 10 recruiting class coming in, which would have been impressive for any program, let alone a new one.

It's definitely not a good look that Clemson has played a similarly week OOC but has looked much better in ACC play than Duke so far. I'm willing to give Clemson a pass with the schedule because they're a first year program and the coach can't predict the talent she has coming in or how things will gel, but Duke doesn't get the benefit of the doubt. With what they had coming back and how they looked last year, they should've been more ambitious. The other punching bags on here (ND, UVA, MD to an extent) at least play tough teams outside of conference.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”