Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by 1766 »

I've never heard anyone recently make a case that Baltimore isn't a decaying crime ridden city. Including family members and friends that live there.

It's one of the most dangerous cities in the entire country. Just look at the data. And that's what gets reported. I'm not sure why anyone would even argue this.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 5:45 pm
Maverick wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 5:30 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:42 pm Somebody is definitely salty lately. Good thing my identity isn’t completely tied to a team at a college I went to and was a fan of. Makes sense though since you’ve acknowledge being around boards as a student. Cool.

Insular never wants to have any conversation outside of other Hop people, many of whine didn’t play any sports in college let alone this one.
Finally someone says what we've all been thinking. If you say anything perceived as negative he'll jump down your throat and hurl childish insults. He also fully assessed Baltimore's crime situation after the first sunny afternoon at Homewood, they're was a car jacking down the street with 5 armed suspects the same night. Man is all knowing and all powerful and beyond reproach. Delusional as well
Can't find anything online about a carjacking down the street from Homewood "with 5 armed suspects" on the night of the Maryland game. Searched the crime database and found nothing in the area of Homewood for the entire month of April. You got a link? Or did you just make that up in an attempt to support your narrative that Charles Village is, and I quote, a "ghetto"?
Live right down the street got* a citizen app notification. But nah you're right the most dangerous city in the country is actually safe. Carry on living in your own little world
Last edited by Maverick on Sat May 07, 2022 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

1766 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:22 pm I've never heard anyone recently make a case that Baltimore isn't a decaying crime ridden city. Including family members and friends that live there.

It's one of the most dangerous cities in the entire country. Just look at the data. And that's what gets reported. I'm not sure why anyone would even argue this.
Hop16 seems to think Charles village is like Hogwarts. I mean he drew that exact comparison
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Maverick wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:36 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:42 pm Somebody is definitely salty lately. Good thing my identity isn’t completely tied to a team at a college I went to and was a fan of. Makes sense though since you’ve acknowledge being around boards as a student. Cool.

Insular never wants to have any conversation outside of other Hop people, many of whine didn’t play any sports in college let alone this one.
Finally someone says what we've all been thinking. If you say anything perceived as negative he'll jump down your throat and hurl childish insults. He also fully assessed Baltimore's crime situation after the first sunny afternoon at Homewood, they're was a car jacking down the street with 5 armed suspects the same night. Man is all knowing and all powerful and beyond reproach. Delusional as well
Can't find anything online about a carjacking down the street from Homewood "with 5 armed suspects" on the night of the Maryland game. Searched the crime database and found nothing in the area of Homewood for the entire month of April. You got a link? Or did you just make that up in an attempt to support your narrative that Charles Village is, and I quote, a "ghetto"?
Live right down the street for a citizen app notification. But nah you're right the most dangerous city in the country is actually safe. Carry on living in your own little world
Ok. So that's a no. No link.
Maverick wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:39 pm
1766 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:22 pm I've never heard anyone recently make a case that Baltimore isn't a decaying crime ridden city. Including family members and friends that live there.

Hop16 seems to think Charles village is like Hogwarts. I mean he drew that exact comparison
Nah, I said going to school at Homewood is closer to Hogwarts than it is to being in The Wire. I did not say the whole of Charles Village is Hogwarts. Once again, you're making stuff up. Seems like it's a pattern for you.
GSP

Post by GSP »

FWIW, Baskin just scored 4 goals against Georgetown in a 14-12 loss.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:45 pm
Maverick wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:36 pm

Live right down the street for a citizen app notification. But nah you're right the most dangerous city in the country is actually safe. Carry on living in your own little world
Ok. So that's a no. No link.
Maverick wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:39 pm

Nah, I said going to school at Homewood is closer to Hogwarts than it is to being in The Wire. I did not say the whole of Charles Village is Hogwarts. Once again, you're making stuff up. Seems like it's a pattern for you.
No because it doesn't cache data that long.

No link to the story of me finding a woman sleeping in my rear seat the other day either. Believe your falsehoods like Hopkins is closer to wizard school than the show about the same city. Hey maybe hargred lives on one of those tents in the dell.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:46 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:25 pm Make the case without invoking tradition or titles that no one under 40 cares about for a transfer to go to Hop.

Education - great but replaceable.

City/campus-not a tiebreaker most likely

Coach - two losing seasons. Younger guy with limited experience as HC and little name cache. Grant Jr? I guess but again from a time long gone by.
That’s the thing … in order to succeed at Johns Hopkins, Coach Milliman will need to outrecruit or match competitors like Brecht, Tillman, and Shay.

Petro succeeded for a time in outrecruiting or matching legends like Starsia, Tierney, and Desko.

The success of a Johns Hopkins lacrosse head coach has never depended on academic reputation, campus facilities, the locale (despite the obvious charms of Baltimore ;) ), or even the “tradition”. It has depended on the coach creating a winning culture at the program and successfully instilling full faith in his vision for the team.

In order to succeed, Milliman is going to have to outcompete his great rivals.

Tall task. No one ever said the Hopkins gig was easy.

DocBarrister
Peter Milliman is a great recruiter; he got the best Canadians in the Ivies (and if you doubt the worth of that, two names for you: Teat and Donville) as well as other excellent players from the US. I think if you give it a couple more years you'll start to see some significant Milliman-recruited talent coming to JHU (perhaps starting as early as next year). I thought when JHU hired Milliman and think still that his strengths are recruiting (including talent assessment) and his teams playing hard, and those are two pretty good things even if he's not necessarily the best in-game adjustments guy (and hopefully he dumps the Sunday/Tuesday scheduling for a while, although he did that at Cornell as well). As frustrated as the Hop fan base is, I'd be shocked if PM gets anything less than five full years (going through the 2025 season) before there's a critical review, and he might even get through 2026 when a true four-year picture of his recruiting will be more apparent before there's any sort of searching assessment.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

charles village is perfectly fine according to the hundreds of mica, towson, goucher, loyola, and other coeds who frolic in the wild on the weekend seeking libations and company.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:42 pm Insular never wants to have any conversation outside of other Hop people, many of whine didn’t play any sports in college let alone this one.
It's not a matter of wanting "outsiders" in the conversation or not. Many of the outspoken "insiders" some of us would rather hear less from, I know I at least find the constant b*tching, unrealistic expectations, and dirt shoveling in the general direction of the new staff rather tiresome. Most of the time from either source it all just ends up being trolling and not actually adding anything of value to the discussion and is at best rehashing a potential misstep by the staff for the 10th or further time. i.e. see the Baskin mention a few posts ago

Your response post asking how coach should hope to have success in the transfer portal to my initial reading definitely felt a little antagonistic in the same vein of earlier posts from the rest of the peanut gallery like "don't you guys play D3". It presumably wasn't intended that way so the answer to your question beyond Docs grandiose idea that is surely implementable of "just recruit better" is coach probably won't actually be out recruiting anyone in the portal for those guys. If someone in the portal with only a single year of eligibility ends up at Hopkins right now it is likely because...

1) They aren't the top guys that can basically choose where they want to go and walk on the field as a starter. We're going to get the scraps or have to find a "diamond in the rough".
2) We get lucky and have a local kid that just wants to come back home to the general Baltimore area after his 4/5 years elsewhere and he liked the feel and fit at JHU both in the classroom and on the field. This wouldn't so much being coach sold him on it but rather the kid himself decided it was something he wanted to do himself.

For a longer term rental or high schoolers you can basically sell the opportunity angle for immediate playing time given the state of the team/roster and the fact that there is a fan base that generally cares and would be interested in seeing you be the star. "Wouldn't it be cool to be the guy that put Hopkins back on top?" I definitely think coach can offer up the notion of immediate playing time that many more loaded rosters cannot.

The roster and fortunes of this program are likely not getting turned around overnight thanks to the Transfer Portal. Anyone providing an indication that they are is somewhere on the spectrum between deluded and wishful thinking. Unless we get lucky this is not going to be a quick process and it isn't going to be like a lightswitch was flipped on, there will be a line trending upwards which hopefully starts with next years freshman class.

As for the mention of the state of Baltimore city and its relationship with recruiting at the end of the day I think that can be applied as globally to every recruiting situation as the notion that "everyone on Earth wants to go to big football U". The way I heard that story is Michigan, OSU, and PSU were supposed to be juggernauts by now. We'd all be irrelevant if Alabama starts up a lax program because we all know deep down in our hearts that every talented lacrosse star from the mid-atlantic has always dreamt of getting out of the one horse town he grew up in to spend 4 years in *checks notes* Tuscaloosa Alabama. Baltimore is good enough for the USNWR rankings people like to discuss around these parts so much; its also good enough for the countless D3 athletes that are excelling at JHU, and the countless students who aren't athletes that go there.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

GSP wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:48 pm FWIW, Baskin just scored 4 goals against Georgetown in a 14-12 loss.
This is what I came here for tonight.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

One of the top offensive guys in the portal (not Dordevic) is reportedly deciding between Hopkins, another Big Ten school, and an ACC school. We'll see what happens. Could decide to go elsewhere but the Jays are in the mix. He has no connection to Baltimore that I know of.

Ruffled is on the money as usual with some measured, nuanced sanity. Trolls come here to troll and then clutch their pearls when someone treats them as such. It'd be kind of funny if it weren't so pathetic. Just nothing better to do.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:17 pm As for the mention of the state of Baltimore city and its relationship with recruiting at the end of the day I think that can be applied as globally to every recruiting situation as the notion that "everyone on Earth wants to go to big football U".
Does anyone actually say this or believe it? I've never heard it (and I did my graduate work at a big football school).

Anyway, we're at 5 pages; at this rate, by the end of the weekend this Hopkins 2023 thread will have more pages than the Delaware Blue Hens 2022 thread (which stands at 10 pages, in case you're wondering).
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

ICGrad wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:29 pm
Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:17 pm As for the mention of the state of Baltimore city and its relationship with recruiting at the end of the day I think that can be applied as globally to every recruiting situation as the notion that "everyone on Earth wants to go to big football U".
Does anyone actually say this or believe it? I've never heard it (and I did my graduate work at a big football school).

Anyway, we're at 5 pages; at this rate, by the end of the weekend this Hopkins 2023 thread will have more pages than the Delaware Blue Hens 2022 thread (which stands at 10 pages, in case you're wondering).
Give it a week or two and we'll have more pages than there are Cornell lacrosse fans in the world.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Just gotta stop in at the Michigan thread and linger a minute. But it's the same story for Maryland or Rutgers as campuses and schools eventhough their football isnt particularly amazing or as storied. Neither College Park nor Trenton are places to me that one "falls in love with" just as many will argue the opposite and rail that Baltimore is 100% a crime ridden dump. Different strokes for different folks.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:41 pm
Just gotta stop in at the Michigan thread and linger a minute. But it's the same story for Maryland or Rutgers as campuses and schools eventhough their football isnt particularly amazing or as storied. Neither College Park nor Trenton are places to me that one "falls in love with" just as many will argue the opposite and rail that Baltimore is 100% a crime ridden dump. Different strokes for different folks.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/michigan/

michigans last rose bowl win came before most of those kids even the syracuse duke and rutgers 8th years were born. are we sure college park, rutgers and michigan count as major college football?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:31 pm

Give it a week or two and we'll have more pages than there are Cornell lacrosse fans in the world.
transfer portal monday when we lose a bunch of kids to caa programs or addons to acc schools will be bananas for our page count.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

jhu06 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:49 pm https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/michigan/

michigans last rose bowl win came before most of those kids even the syracuse duke and rutgers 8th years were born. are we sure college park, rutgers and michigan count as major college football?
Michigan, sure. Rutgers and Maryland? lol
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:17 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:42 pm Insular never wants to have any conversation outside of other Hop people, many of whine didn’t play any sports in college let alone this one.
It's not a matter of wanting "outsiders" in the conversation or not. Many of the outspoken "insiders" some of us would rather hear less from, I know I at least find the constant b*tching, unrealistic expectations, and dirt shoveling in the general direction of the new staff rather tiresome. Most of the time from either source it all just ends up being trolling and not actually adding anything of value to the discussion and is at best rehashing a potential misstep by the staff for the 10th or further time. i.e. see the Baskin mention a few posts ago

Your response post asking how coach should hope to have success in the transfer portal to my initial reading definitely felt a little antagonistic in the same vein of earlier posts from the rest of the peanut gallery like "don't you guys play D3". It presumably wasn't intended that way so the answer to your question beyond Docs grandiose idea that is surely implementable of "just recruit better" is coach probably won't actually be out recruiting anyone in the portal for those guys. If someone in the portal with only a single year of eligibility ends up at Hopkins right now it is likely because...

1) They aren't the top guys that can basically choose where they want to go and walk on the field as a starter. We're going to get the scraps or have to find a "diamond in the rough".
2) We get lucky and have a local kid that just wants to come back home to the general Baltimore area after his 4/5 years elsewhere and he liked the feel and fit at JHU both in the classroom and on the field. This wouldn't so much being coach sold him on it but rather the kid himself decided it was something he wanted to do himself.

For a longer term rental or high schoolers you can basically sell the opportunity angle for immediate playing time given the state of the team/roster and the fact that there is a fan base that generally cares and would be interested in seeing you be the star. "Wouldn't it be cool to be the guy that put Hopkins back on top?" I definitely think coach can offer up the notion of immediate playing time that many more loaded rosters cannot.

The roster and fortunes of this program are likely not getting turned around overnight thanks to the Transfer Portal. Anyone providing an indication that they are is somewhere on the spectrum between deluded and wishful thinking. Unless we get lucky this is not going to be a quick process and it isn't going to be like a lightswitch was flipped on, there will be a line trending upwards which hopefully starts with next years freshman class.

As for the mention of the state of Baltimore city and its relationship with recruiting at the end of the day I think that can be applied as globally to every recruiting situation as the notion that "everyone on Earth wants to go to big football U". The way I heard that story is Michigan, OSU, and PSU were supposed to be juggernauts by now. We'd all be irrelevant if Alabama starts up a lax program because we all know deep down in our hearts that every talented lacrosse star from the mid-atlantic has always dreamt of getting out of the one horse town he grew up in to spend 4 years in *checks notes* Tuscaloosa Alabama. Baltimore is good enough for the USNWR rankings people like to discuss around these parts so much; its also good enough for the countless D3 athletes that are excelling at JHU, and the countless students who aren't athletes that go there.

Thanks also, I find a lot of agreement with your thoughts. And maybe then that’s why you grab a kid like Docs proposed SJU -Huber, I just don’t think he’s going to move the needle in any meaningful way and potentially hurts a rebuild situation which is different than what, say, Rutgers is doing. I’m not sure the portal even makes sense during a rebuild rather than a reload where you’re adding incrementally.

I don’t get why it was antagonistic based on Docs post, and he replied, whether it is a thesis I agree with doesn’t matter, all I was looking for is when one makes a statement like his about hitting that portal. Then combine in with the vast number of folks who seem to think this is the pros and the portal is recruiting 2.0 as a perpetual state rather than this interim Covid fueled 5th movement that’ll last 4yrs but really peak in ur 2 or 3 (this current seasons 5th yr transfers or next) along with what we know is heavy activity by CURRENTLY much more in demand either due to current success or a name coach w a title in hand etc such as Md, Rut, OSU, ND, UVA, UNC, Duke, Denver and GT (plus anyone I missed) and I’m wondering with a relatively lesser known coach, a pretty rough rebuild/down stretch here what’s the path to make strides via the portal? It seems like anachronistic thinking based on how things were 15-25yrs ago competitively. Not exactly the same but I think the model maybe should be more like Warne at GT. Allow for a full on tear down and rebuild, then in year 4-5 start looking to add incremental “external” help to the team with its “new” culture. I could be wrong but that’s why I asked. Sure I threw in a couple of easy sale points but only to skip those since they don’t do anything in today’s environment given the competitive landscape in my view.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:17 pm

I agree on location and don’t mind Baltimore though my experience has largely been inner harbor and fella point while living in Dc. And the big football U thing is overrated for sure but not surprising on these boards given we have how many pages on Jared Bernhardts year in D2. It’s like anything else you don’t live where you party.

My prior comment on location was simply it’s not a place that’s carrying kids over the top when their other options are NW DC, CVille, Raleigh (Durham is not that nice but Raleigh is an excellent city) like if Stanford picked up lax and said “hey dude come for a visit to our campus in Palo Alto and then let us know your uniform size for when you come back for matriculation.”
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
laxpert

Post by laxpert »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:27 pm One of the top offensive guys in the portal (not Dordevic) is reportedly deciding between Hopkins, another Big Ten school, and an ACC school. We'll see what happens. Could decide to go elsewhere but the Jays are in the mix. He has no connection to Baltimore that I know of.

Ruffled is on the money as usual with some measured, nuanced sanity. Trolls come here to troll and then clutch their pearls when someone treats them as such. It'd be kind of funny if it weren't so pathetic. Just nothing better to do.
Maybe a lil NIL money will help sway the unnamed player JHU's way.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”