Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jerseyjames

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by jerseyjames »

ICGrad wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:42 am Does Hopkins still field a lacrosse team? Did they drop down to d3?
I think the real question is over/under 2030 does Hop drop down to D3? And the follow up to that is where would they slot in in the Centennial?? would they even win the conference?

I would go Dickinson, G'Burg, F&M, then its a toss up between Hop and Ursinus for that final playoff spot every year
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

In the next few months we’re going to get two important signals about whether Coach Milliman will succeed at Hopkins:

(1) How many Hopkins seniors will return for a fifth season?

(2) How successful will Milliman be in the transfer battles?

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

laxfan1313 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:24 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:19 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:15 pm What's really impressive is the Johns Hopkins 2022 thread has 279 pages. Do you think you can break that in the 2023 thread?
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Almost as many pages as you guys have fans per game
But the Big Red upgraded its coaching staff.
That’s funny
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:22 pm In the next few months we’re going to get two important signals about whether Coach Milliman will succeed at Hopkins:

DocBarrister
Why is 1 a signal of success?

He managed to convince a ton of guys to stay in 2021 and 2022 and, well, it didn't help much.

It has no bearing on success. Especially as they transform the culture. There needs to be some turnover. Not everyone can or should return. Everyone understands this.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Make the case without invoking tradition or titles that no one under 40 cares about for a transfer to go to Hop.

Education - great but replaceable.

City/campus-not a tiebreaker most likely

Coach - two losing seasons. Younger guy with limited experience as HC and little name cache. Grant Jr? I guess but again from a time long gone by.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:25 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:22 pm In the next few months we’re going to get two important signals about whether Coach Milliman will succeed at Hopkins:

DocBarrister

He managed to convince a ton of guys to stay in 2021 and 2022 and, well, it didn't help much.

It has no bearing on success. Especially as they transform the culture. There needs to be some turnover. Not everyone can or should return. Everyone understands this.
It’s a sign of senior buy-in to the program and Milliman’s vision for the team. It’s one thing for the bench to transfer or choose to move on. It’s a completely different story if senior starters and contributors decide to take their game elsewhere.

Epstein is a senior starter and three-time captain. If he chooses to transfer, it would not be an encouraging sign.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:25 pm Make the case without invoking tradition or titles that no one under 40 cares about for a transfer to go to Hop.

Coach - two losing seasons. Younger guy with limited experience as HC and little name cache. Grant Jr? I guess but again from a time long gone by.
I guess when you've made one tournament in the last 18 years and have literally never won a playoff game in 27 seasons as a D1 program you get bored and have to concern yourself with other teams' problems
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:34 pm

DocBarrister

It’s a sign of senior buy-in to the program and Milliman’s vision for the team. It’s one thing for the bench to transfer or choose to move on. It’s a completely different story if senior starters and contributors decide to take their game elsewhere.

Epstein is a senior starter and three-time captain. If he chooses to transfer, it would not be an encouraging sign.

DocBarrister
How do you know who was asked back and who wasn't? Answer: you don't. Someone leaving or entering the portal doesn't necessarily mean they were asked to return and simply chose not to.

It's a "sign of Milliman's vision for the team." What does that even mean? His vision has to include bringing all of the seniors back? Why? His vision of the team should be to win games. Those who he thinks will help out and can execute his "vision" will be asked to return.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Somebody is definitely salty lately. Good thing my identity isn’t completely tied to a team at a college I went to and was a fan of. Makes sense though since you’ve acknowledge being around boards as a student. Cool.

Insular never wants to have any conversation outside of other Hop people, many of whine didn’t play any sports in college let alone this one.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:42 pm Somebody is definitely salty lately. Good thing my identity isn’t completely tied to a team at a college I went to and was a fan of. Makes sense though since you’ve acknowledge being around boards as a student. Cool.
to be fair, why would anyone ever want their identity to be hobart lacrosse. i don't blame you

you're a troll. don't act innocent. everyone on this forum knows what you are
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:43 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:42 pm Somebody is definitely salty lately. Good thing my identity isn’t completely tied to a team at a college I went to and was a fan of. Makes sense though since you’ve acknowledge being around boards as a student. Cool.
to be fair, why would anyone ever want their identity to be hobart lacrosse. i don't blame you

Good luck with life. You’re going to need it. Everyone knows what you are Superfan.

I was responding to Docs post seriously and you come back with this bi**HY behavior like you’ve been doing for days.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:43 pm

Good luck with life. You’re going to need it.

I was responding to Docs post seriously and you come back with this bi**HY behavior like you’ve been doing for days.
Cry more
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:25 pm Make the case without invoking tradition or titles that no one under 40 cares about for a transfer to go to Hop.

That’s the thing … in order to succeed at Johns Hopkins, Coach Milliman will need to outrecruit or match competitors like Brecht, Tillman, and Shay.

Petro succeeded for a time in outrecruiting or matching legends like Starsia, Tierney, and Desko.

The success of a Johns Hopkins lacrosse head coach has never depended on academic reputation, campus facilities, the locale (despite the obvious charms of Baltimore ;) ), or even the “tradition”. It has depended on the coach creating a winning culture at the program and successfully instilling full faith in his vision for the team.

In order to succeed, Milliman is going to have to outcompete his great rivals.

Tall task. No one ever said the Hopkins gig was easy.

DocBarrister
Last edited by DocBarrister on Sat May 07, 2022 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
@DocBarrister
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:44 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:43 pm

Good luck with life. You’re going to need it.

Cry more
Projection…p
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:46 pm

That’s the thing … in order to succeed at Johns Hopkins, Coach Milliman will need to outrecruit or match competitors like Brecht, Tillman, and Shay.

Petro succeeded for a time in outrecruiting or matching legends like Starsia, Tierney, and Desko.

The success of a Johns Hopkins lacrosse head coach has never depended on academic reputation, campus facilities, the locale (despite the obvious charms of Baltimore ;) ), or even the “tradition”. It has depended on the coach creating a winning culture at the program and successfully instilling full faith in his vision for the program.

Talk task. No one ever said the Hopkins gig was easy.

DocBarrister
Thank you. I like your counterpart non playing fan here that’s actually what I intended with the question.

But coaches come and go, peak and trough. Hard to say. Sometime s not cashing in early loses momentum. I have no idea but when you’ve got heavy action from successful and current name coaches programs something has to be unique to win.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:41 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:34 pm

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
How do you know who was asked back and who wasn't? Answer: you don't. Someone leaving or entering the portal doesn't necessarily mean they were asked to return and simply chose not to.

It's a "sign of Milliman's vision for the team." What does that even mean? His vision has to include bringing all of the seniors back? Why? His vision of the team should be to win games. Those who he thinks will help out and can execute his "vision" will be asked to return.
We have some good seniors on the team that most coaches would love to have on their squad. It will be interesting to see how many stay.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:48 pm

The success of a Johns Hopkins lacrosse head coach has never depended on academic reputation, campus facilities, the locale (despite the obvious charms of Baltimore ;) ), or even the “tradition”. It has depended on the coach creating a winning culture at the program and successfully instilling full faith in his vision for the program.

DocBarrister
Thank you. I like your counterpart non playing fan here that’s actually what I intended with the question.

But coaches come and go, peak and trough. Hard to say. Sometime s not cashing in early loses momentum. I have no idea but when you’ve got heavy action from successful and current name coaches programs something has to be unique to win.
I agree, and I am uncertain whether Coach Milliman will ultimately succeed at Hopkins. I agree about new coaches having to cash in early, but I’m willing to cut Milliman some slack considering the difficult and challenging circumstances under which he took over the program.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:48 pm

DocBarrister

How did your girls do today? Who designed your uniforms? :roll:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Insular never wants to have any conversation outside of other Hop people, many of whine didn’t play any sports in college let alone this one.
Finally someone says what we've all been thinking. If you say anything perceived as negative he'll jump down your throat and hurl childish insults. He also fully assessed Baltimore's crime situation after the first sunny afternoon at Homewood, they're was a car jacking down the street with 5 armed suspects the same night. Man is all knowing and all powerful and beyond reproach. Delusional as well
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Maverick wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 5:30 pm

Finally someone says what we've all been thinking. If you say anything perceived as negative he'll jump down your throat and hurl childish insults. He also fully assessed Baltimore's crime situation after the first sunny afternoon at Homewood, they're was a car jacking down the street with 5 armed suspects the same night. Man is all knowing and all powerful and beyond reproach. Delusional as well
Can't find anything online about a carjacking down the street from Homewood "with 5 armed suspects" on the night of the Maryland game. Searched the crime database and found nothing in the area of Homewood for the entire month of April. You got a link? Or did you just make that up in an attempt to support your narrative that Charles Village is, and I quote, a "ghetto"?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”