VA Public School Lacrosse

HS Boys Lacrosse
Laxer77

Re: VA Public School Lacrosse

Post by Laxer77 »

Everyone (including me) keeps forgetting about Freedom also. They are either the worst of the Real Deal division or near the top of the Mediocre division. They could easily beat Westfield 8-7.
NoVaLacrosse

Post by NoVaLacrosse »

VA6ALacrosse wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:08 pm
OSVAlacrosse wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:27 pm
since1986 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:38 am Close Game Predictions for Tuesday and Thursday:

4/26:
Alexandria @ West Potomac - Wolverines by 1

4/28:
Chantilly @ Westfield - Bulldogs by 1
Oakton @ Centreville - Cougars by 1 (OT)
How about Lake Braddock with the upset over Robinson? LB 11-10 in OT in a penalty filled game. LB PSU commit dominates at the FO X in a surprise coaching move.
This sounds like a nice fairytale, maybe you can have a nice dream Friday night where the game plays out that way, because it will most certainly not end up like that in real life. Does Lake Braddock have some secret defenders that we don’t know about? Because from what I’ve seen, they have #1, and maybe one other capable pole, but the rest of the defense does not have the athletic ability to keep up with the horses on the robinson offense. Not to mention it is hard to score when you don’t win faceoffs, and it’s pretty obvious who has the fo advantage in this game.
Prediction: Robinson 17- Lake Braddock 5
Wow, touche VA6A. Off by one goal. I thought Robinson would win pretty easily, but not by 12 or 13. Impressive showing by Robo and as previously mentioned, it's looking like there's no one who can take down the steadily improving Rams. They have the best offense, defense and fogos in the state. It's looking like we will see a Battlefield vs Robinson state championship. At least there will be some competitive games between Madison, Yorktown, Langley and Lake Braddock to see who ends up taking on Robinson in the state quarters and semis. Right now, I think Madison has been playing the best of those 4 teams, but any of those 4 could beat each other on any given night.
Laxer77

Post by Laxer77 »

I called 14-7 but it was even worse than I expected. Rams were fired up and totally dominated. I'm not sure that Robinson has the best of anything - you could argue for Patriot's attack, Lake Braddock's midfield, Yorktown or Battlefield's D, Langley's faceoff guy, Battlefield's goalie, but the problem is Robinson is very good to excellent at every position with no real weaknesses for anyone to exploit. Agree with you Nova that Madison is playing really well now and has similar balance to Robinson.
Jumboslax27

Post by Jumboslax27 »

Updated rankings with districts right around the corner
1. Robinson- This team is a terror. Lake Braddock didn’t stand a chance. They just have so many good players on the roster. Their 7th middie would start on every other public school in the state, so of course they are dominating. They can start preparing for states.

2. Battlefield- They may be our only hope of stopping what feels like an inevitable Robo ring. Huge rematch with Patriot incoming.

3. Patriot- Proved their credentials with a solid win over Freedom SR. Can they flip the script and take down Battlefield? They’ll likely get a couple more chances at it.

4. Madison- After a slightly rough start to the season, Madison is flying. They’ve won every district game by 10+. Coaching is an X factor that gives them the ability to play with anyone.

5. Yorktown- Look, I get it. They lost to Langley. I still think they’re better than Langley. Don’t be surprised when they bounce back and beat the Saxons in the district playoffs.

6. Langley- The win against Yorktown proved that they can beat a high level team. Their face off kid Kuligowski is insane, certainly one of the most valuable players in the state. But we can’t just forget that this team went to overtime with Oakton and Westfield, and the former just lost to Madison by 12 and Centreville by 7.

7. Lake Braddock- No shame in losing to Robinson, but Lake Braddock never looked like they had a chance. They have some high end talent, but the supporting cast just isn’t strong enough to threaten Robinson.

8. Westfield- This was a toss up between them and the next 2. They would likely be 10 if Oakton didn’t get steamrolled by Centreville. Good comeback win over Chantilly in OT after seeming to be flummoxed by Brodericks game plan in the first half. Big showdown with Madison with the top seed in the district playoffs on the line. They’ve come a long way since last years winless showing in districts.

9. Freedom SR- I think they’re good? Really hard to tell with them though as their only tough games are Patriot and Battlefield and they lost all 4 of those(they did keep those games pretty close). Beating Osbourn Park is hardly impressive. They’ll have to get past one of Battlefield/Patriot to get anywhere significant, but can they?

10. Oakton- Nearly dropped out of the rankings after that Centreville loss. This is perhaps the most inconsistent team in the state. They’ve beaten Langley and Westfield, and only lost to Braddock by 2. However, they’ve also lost games to Mclean and Centreville, and they gave up 15 or more goals in both of those games.

HM
West Po
Tilly
Woodson
Centreville

Tier list going into the playoffs.

Tier 1
Robo

Tier 2
Battlefield
Patriot
Madison
Yorktown
Lake Braddock
Langley

Tier 3
Westfield
Freedom
Oakton
West Po
Tilly
Cville
Soco
Mclean

I think watching a tournament of tier 3 would honestly be more entertaining to the casual fan than what we will end up getting(blowouts). I think it would come down to Westfield and Freedom, likely 8-7 in OT to whoever ate their Wheaties that day.
NoVaLacrosse

Post by NoVaLacrosse »

Laxer77 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:09 pm I called 14-7 but it was even worse than I expected. Rams were fired up and totally dominated. I'm not sure that Robinson has the best of anything - you could argue for Patriot's attack, Lake Braddock's midfield, Yorktown or Battlefield's D, Langley's faceoff guy, Battlefield's goalie, but the problem is Robinson is very good to excellent at every position with no real weaknesses for anyone to exploit. Agree with you Nova that Madison is playing really well now and has similar balance to Robinson.
Fair argument. I was just going off of statistics. Robinson O averaging 17 goals per game, best in the state. The D is averaging 3.3 Goals Against, also best in the state, and the faceoff guys are combined for somewhere between 85-90%. Not sure what the Langley kids percentage is but im sure its up there too
Laxer77

Post by Laxer77 »

Thanks Jumbo - nice work and good list. I think 1-7 makes sense although maybe LB shouldn't fall so far just because they got killed by the Robinson juggernaut. Also West Potomac maybe deserves some more love since they are 9-4 and beat Westfield and Oakton head-to-head. Agree with you that Freedom is tough to rank. No huge wins but did play Battlefield and Patriot somewhat close early in the season (they lost 11-2 and 12-5 in the more recent matchups).
Jumboslax27

Post by Jumboslax27 »

Laxer77 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:05 pm Thanks Jumbo - nice work and good list. I think 1-7 makes sense although maybe LB shouldn't fall so far just because they got killed by the Robinson juggernaut. Also West Potomac maybe deserves some more love since they are 9-4 and beat Westfield and Oakton head-to-head. Agree with you that Freedom is tough to rank. No huge wins but did play Battlefield and Patriot somewhat close early in the season (they lost 11-2 and 12-5 in the more recent matchups).
That Stamos kid is awesome. Heard he’s a Maryland commit? They probably should be ranked, just not sure who I’d take out. Plus, West Po lost their best offensive player and then lost to Madison by 10 as well as losing to SoCo. My personal opinion is that Westfield has the best chance to give Madison a game in the Concorde, thus why I have them 8. It’s also hard to justify taking Oakton out when they have wins over Westfield and Langley, but also hard to leave them in after losing to Centreville by 7. Which leaves Freedom, who I suspect may be better than all of the aforementioned teams, but I have no real evidence to prove it.
Crlaxy

Post by Crlaxy »

Not sure when the last time this happened for a VA Public School kid, but pretty good company for Riversides D-Pole

Wave II Boys' Under Armour All-Americans

Attack
Michael Leo, St. Anthony's (N.Y.), Syracuse
James Matan, Gonzaga (D.C.), North Carolina
Matt Minicus, Darien (Conn.), Loyola
Finlay Thomson, St. Michael's (Ont.) / Everest (Ont.) PG, Syracuse

Face-Off
Andrew McMeekin, Episcopal Academy (Pa.), Princeton

Midfield
Patrick Crogan, Lexington (Mass.), Georgetown
Griffin Scane, Culver (Ind.), Penn

Defense/Longstick Midfield
Will Donovan, Brunswick (Conn.), Notre Dame
Riley Figueiras, St. John's (D.C.), Syracuse
Dylan Sageder, Mount Sinai (N.Y.), Syracuse
John Schroter, Riverside (Va.), Virginia
since1986

Post by since1986 »

Crlaxy wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:17 am Not sure when the last time this happened for a VA Public School kid, but pretty good company for Riversides D-Pole

Wave II Boys' Under Armour All-Americans

Attack
Michael Leo, St. Anthony's (N.Y.), Syracuse
James Matan, Gonzaga (D.C.), North Carolina
Matt Minicus, Darien (Conn.), Loyola
Finlay Thomson, St. Michael's (Ont.) / Everest (Ont.) PG, Syracuse

Face-Off
Andrew McMeekin, Episcopal Academy (Pa.), Princeton

Midfield
Patrick Crogan, Lexington (Mass.), Georgetown
Griffin Scane, Culver (Ind.), Penn

Defense/Longstick Midfield
Will Donovan, Brunswick (Conn.), Notre Dame
Riley Figueiras, St. John's (D.C.), Syracuse
Dylan Sageder, Mount Sinai (N.Y.), Syracuse
John Schroter, Riverside (Va.), Virginia
Congratulations to John! It's great he is getting that level of recognition. I think he's the first NoVA public school UA AA since Jack Rowlett in 2015.
NoVaLacrosse

Post by NoVaLacrosse »

Anyone see the Patriot vs Battlefield game? Interested to know how that game played out. Saw Patriot won by 2 i think?
SpinalTap14

Post by SpinalTap14 »

Patriots won 8-6.
NoVaLacrosse

Post by NoVaLacrosse »

SpinalTap14 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:24 pm Patriots won 8-6.
Quite riveting insight! You must have watched the game very thoroughly. Sounds like it was an enthralling back and forth match between Patriots and Battlefields out on the pitch. Did you have a good seat on the trolley?
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

NoVaLacrosse wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:25 am
Quite riveting insight! You must have watched the game very thoroughly. Sounds like it was an enthralling back and forth match between Patriots and Battlefields out on the pitch. Did you have a good seat on the trolley?
OK #17 one of the if not the best offensive threats managed to get some and the team 8 by one of the best goalies in NOVA
NoVaLacrosse

Post by NoVaLacrosse »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:50 am
NoVaLacrosse wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:25 am
OK #17 one of the if not the best offensive threats managed to get some and the team 8 by one of the best goalies in NOVA
Lol Thaaank you, finally someone knows how to give a detailed account of events!!
VA6ALacrosse

Post by VA6ALacrosse »

Does anyone have the all district teams that they can post?
novalaxguy

Post by novalaxguy »

Oakton beats Chantilly 15-5! Somebody explain that team to me.
NoVaLacrosse

Post by NoVaLacrosse »

novalaxguy wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:26 pm Oakton beats Chantilly 15-5! Somebody explain that team to me.
It's more so that Chantilly is really down this year. They have a very good attackman and some athletes scattered throughout the team, but just an overall poor purple charger team this season. Oakton Is very inconsistent, but they are going to play as hard as possible in the playoffs, which will result in blowout wins over Chantilly, and teams similar to them. The cougars have enough talent to play tight games with some higher level teams (teams in the 6th-9th ranked range), but not enough to get it done vs the top tier group (teams ranked 5th or better).

Looking forward to some of the matchups that we have not seen this season. Here are some potential games I am looking forward to watching over the next few weeks:

1. Robinson vs Patriot
2. Battlefield vs Robinson
3. Madison vs Langley
4. Patriot vs Madison
5. Battlefield vs Yorktown
6. Langley vs Lake Braddock
7. Yorktown vs Lake Braddock
8. Battlefield vs Madison
9. Robinson vs Langley
10. Lake Braddock vs Patriot

Did I miss any? Possibly, but any combination of these teams who have not yet played each other should be fun to watch. With the exception of Robinson vs whoever, since it is very possible that they beat any of these teams by 10+. But you never know. That's why they play the game! Good luck to all teams. Gotta love this time of year
Laxer77

Post by Laxer77 »

VA6ALacrosse wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:35 am Does anyone have the all district teams that they can post?
Concorde list must be out. I saw Yorktown and Langley posted theirs on Instagram. McLean announcer said theirs on the PA at the game last night but I couldn't hear it that well. 7 of 10 Yorktown starters are 1st team All-district....

1st Team

Attack

Connor Kaetzel - Yorktown
Hudson Greene - Yorktown
Alex Haag - Langley

Midfield/Face Off

Mike Kuligowski (Player of the Year) - Langley
Miles Malawer - Langley
Miles Fang - Yorktown
Jack Martinez - Yorktown

Defense/LSM

James Aldinger - Yorktown
Patrick Ferguson - Yorktown
Jacob Williams - Yorktown

Coach of the Year

Jamie Parrott - Langley

Assistant Coach of the Year

Jonathan Shears - Yorktown
NOVAlax_15

Post by NOVAlax_15 »

Just saw Westpo beat Lake Braddock 15-14 last night in double overtime. Big win for the Wolverines. Does anyone have a readout on how things unfolded?
Laxer77

Post by Laxer77 »

LB was up 6-2 at half and 13-8 pretty deep into the second half. They started getting sloppy or tired and WP started winning faceoffs and scored a bunch of goals in two quick bursts to tie 13-13. Last minute of regulation was crazy. WP scored with 39 seconds left to go up 1, LB won the face and a pole scored with 23 seconds left to send it to OT.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”