Loyola Greyhounds 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
kramerica.inc

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2022

Post by kramerica.inc »

Enjoy today and all the fun leading up to the game, Loyola fans.

Hopefully the lacrosse world will be exhausted and asleep, or out on the town, forgetting that there is lacrosse on Friday evening, so they miss the throttling Army is going to give us.

I've looked at the numbers. I've looked at the recent performances. Everything points to Army in a landslide.

What do we have going for us? Our offense is still unable to draw a slide (or shoot well when they do.) Our defense just can't play defense. And the Knights have perhaps the best player in the nation with Nichtern who is gonna absolutely light us up. I actually feel bad for Sam Shafer. Did I mention Army is gonna play make-it, take-it with Coletti? The dude is winning 58% of his faceoffs and just won 19 of 28 against CORNELL. This wont be pretty. Black Knights will cruise. Our Hounds have a serious production deficit compared to Army who is outscoring opponents on average by 5 goals. We probably wont even be able to keep this one that close. Its gonna be a long offseason. And it starts Friday night at 9 pm.

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:35 am Enjoy today and all the fun leading up to the game, Loyola fans.

Hopefully the lacrosse world will be exhausted and asleep, or out on the town, forgetting that there is lacrosse on Friday evening, so they miss the throttling Army is going to give us.

I've looked at the numbers. I've looked at the recent performances. Everything points to Army in a landslide.

What do we have going for us? Our offense is still unable to draw a slide (or shoot well when they do.) Our defense just can't play defense. And the Knights have perhaps the best player in the nation with Nichtern who is gonna absolutely light us up. I actually feel bad for Sam Shafer. Did I mention Army is gonna play make-it, take-it with Coletti? The dude is winning 58% of his faceoffs and just won 19 of 28 against CORNELL. This wont be pretty. Black Knights will cruise. Our Hounds have a serious production deficit compared to Army who is outscoring opponents on average by 5 goals. We probably wont even be able to keep this one that close. Its gonna be a long offseason. And it starts Friday night at 9 pm.

8-)
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

IT CAN HAPPEN !!!
old salt

Post by old salt »

As usual, I'm picking Loyola to win the PLT & AQ.
In pondering 2023 prospects, I skimmed the roster & noted there were 9 grad students on this year's roster.
I don't ask this from a negative perspective. I think it speaks well for the school & the program.
What made that possible ? Are the grad students concentrated in one graduate program ? Financial aid ?
How many grad student players expected next year ? How long will this continue ?
Friendly neighbor & Navy fan here, trying to determine how far away is that light at the end of the tunnel ?
Good luck in the PLT.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:35 am Enjoy today and all the fun leading up to the game, Loyola fans.

Kram, heads up - you need to change your password. Someone hacked into your account and they're posting nonsense. (They do have good taste in music though.)

Looked at the numbers? What numbers? Yes, Army is a great team, and they are rightly favored in tomorrow's game. There's no question that the Hounds' season could end tomorrow, but this is no different from last year and we all know how that turned out. We beat Army, and then had "no chance" against Denver or Duke last year, but managed a win and a very close OT loss.

Back to the Army match-up, you're cherry-picking your facts. This Army team lost to Lehigh, who Loyola recently beat, and just lost to Navy at home, who Loyola beat soundly by 11 in Annapolis. Savio owned last year's 1st-team AA FOGO last Friday. Why do you think he has no chance against Army? Our defense can't defend? We allowed 1 goal in the second half on Tuesday without our best SSDM in the lineup, and didn't allow a 6-on-6 goal in the last 44 minutes of the game. In nearly every game, the Hounds have led in GBs. That's exactly the kind of stat that gives them a chance against an arguably better opponent. Army may be beating teams by 5 on average, but they only beat the Hounds by 2 back in March, and this one could go the other way.

Come on, man. :P
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

greyinghound obv? never got the memo on kram's schtick.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

wgdsr wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:52 pm greyinghound obv? never got the memo on kram's schtick.
D'oh. I must have been absent that day, :geek:

Something did feel familiar about kram's post. I get it now.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

GreyingHound wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:41 am
wgdsr wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:52 pm greyinghound obv? never got the memo on kram's schtick.
D'oh. I must have been absent that day, :geek:

Something did feel familiar about kram's post. I get it now.
I stand by my post. Loyola has a pittance of talent. Army is the better team and is really gonna blow our doors off tonight.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

This is a troll right?

Just so we're clear how crazy this is Savio won 18 of 29 AGAINST ARMY. Yeah there are challenges because Army is really good but what are we doing with the negativity everywhere?

The one area of concern that you mentioned and I agree with is the shooting. I actually think Loyola does a reasonable enough job of drawing slides. But the shooting is abysmal and everyone knows it. If by some miracle they can shoot 35% the rest of the way they not only might win this tournament but they might be playing on Memorial Day weekend. I don't see it, but that's really how much of a limiting factor it is.

I'm interested to see what answers they have from the 4th quarter of the regular season game. I think it is clear Wyers and his semi-banged up knee can't handle Nichtern so we're probably going to see Hughes there. Either way the more concerning part for me is the pick defense and the help defense. They're tried to hedge and recover on most picks this year and I just think over the course of a game good attackers start to figure out how to beat that. I'd like to see some doubles and switches tossed in. And you have to expect at some point Nichtern is going to win and be ready to help. He can't run to the crease and score again.

Also the big change from game one is Lindsey getting starts now. Olmstead has been great for the program but for me he's never been the best playing as a true X attackman. Lindsey is and for me the offense looks smoother with him there. Still can't shoot though.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

TheBigIguana wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:06 pm

This is a troll right?

Just so we're clear how crazy this is Savio won 18 of 29 AGAINST ARMY. Yeah there are challenges because Army is really good but what are we doing with the negativity everywhere?

The one area of concern that you mentioned and I agree with is the shooting. I actually think Loyola does a reasonable enough job of drawing slides. But the shooting is abysmal and everyone knows it. If by some miracle they can shoot 35% the rest of the way they not only might win this tournament but they might be playing on Memorial Day weekend. I don't see it, but that's really how much of a limiting factor it is.

I'm interested to see what answers they have from the 4th quarter of the regular season game. I think it is clear Wyers and his semi-banged up knee can't handle Nichtern so we're probably going to see Hughes there. Either way the more concerning part for me is the pick defense and the help defense. They're tried to hedge and recover on most picks this year and I just think over the course of a game good attackers start to figure out how to beat that. I'd like to see some doubles and switches tossed in. And you have to expect at some point Nichtern is going to win and be ready to help. He can't run to the crease and score again.

Also the big change from game one is Lindsey getting starts now. Olmstead has been great for the program but for me he's never been the best playing as a true X attackman. Lindsey is and for me the offense looks smoother with him there. Still can't shoot though.

It’s for humor. Sheesh everyone needs a Xanax.

Kram isn’t entirely incorrect however. We are the underdog. Let’s see if the boys bring it today. I’m hopeful but not confident.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:50 pm
TheBigIguana wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:06 pm

This is a troll right?

It’s for humor. Sheesh everyone needs a Xanax.

Kram isn’t entirely incorrect however. We are the underdog. Let’s see if the boys bring it today. I’m hopeful but not confident.
Well my first question was serious and it appears the answer is yes.

The last couple of paragraphs stand but we were in the game last time and I think we can be in the game again today.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

10stone5 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:21 am IT CAN HAPPEN !!!
:!: :!:
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

The slide discipline has been terrible. How many times are you going to leave the guy in position for the step down?
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

What a disappointing season. Preseason top 10 to .500 record and not even playing in the PL championship game. Tons of talent and experience. How much of this is on the players and how much on the staff?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Good game boys. Valiant effort. Congrats to Army on a well-played game and good luck to them on Sunday!
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Exlaxbro wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:48 pm What a disappointing season. Preseason top 10 to .500 record and not even playing in the PL championship game. Tons of talent and experience. How much of this is on the players and how much on the staff?
A little of both. I thought the defense made a lot of the same mistakes all year so you know where that goes. Inconsistency at some key spots was players not performing.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

:!:
TheBigIguana wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:09 pm
Exlaxbro wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:48 pm What a disappointing season. Preseason top 10 to .500 record and not even playing in the PL championship game. Tons of talent and experience. How much of this is on the players and how much on the staff?
A little of both. I thought the defense made a lot of the same mistakes all year so you know where that goes. Inconsistency at some key spots was players not performing.
Cannot win the big games when you continually turn the ball over at crucial times. Ssdms were exposed. Litttle or no help for Savio, he did the best he could

Another game the hounds should have won
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Great game, tough loss.

You got to feel for the boys. They surely thought they had more games to play. Ending a season is rough, but mostly for the players.

Every real Hounds’ fan is applauding these kids today.

Thanks seniors for leaving it all on the field. What a phenomenal 5 year ride.

Can’t wait to see who steps up next year!!!!

Sorry to see the season end, but gratified to cheer on such a great group of kids.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

There's a lot of satire on this board, so I don't know if you're serious, but I certainly hope not.

"Preseason top 10" LOL. Give me a break. Preseason rankings are meaningless. Just ask Duke (#3), UNC (#6), Syracuse (#12T), Denver (#12T), Lehigh (#14), Delaware (#16), Vermont (#17), Drexel (#18), Hopkins (#19), and Bryant (#20). At this point, only Duke (#12), Denver (#18), and UNC (#19) are even in the current top 20 from that preseason cohort. And in 2012, the Hounds were preseason #21, and then went 18-1 and won the National Championship. If you are basing your expectations for a season on the preseason rankings, you are setting yourself up for perpetual disappointment.

The reality is: this year's team was very similar to last year's, and the results were very similar as well. We played a MUCH more difficult schedule than last year (#1 out-of-conference schedule in the country) and we fared about the same. The one-goal win against Army last year in the PL semifinals launched us into the NCAA tournament where we earned a 1-goal win in the first round and an OT loss in the quarterfinals. This year the 1-goal game against Army went the other way. We were that close. Tough break, but not markedly different from last year.

I am proud of the Hounds and congratulate them on an admirable season. Through all of the ups and downs, this team played with class, which is Coach Toomey's trademark. It makes me proud to be a Loyola fan. I look forward to next season. Go Hounds!
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

GreyingHound wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 4:23 pm
There's a lot of satire on this board, so I don't know if you're serious, but I certainly hope not.

"Preseason top 10" LOL. Give me a break. Preseason rankings are meaningless. Just ask Duke (#3), UNC (#6), Syracuse (#12T), Denver (#12T), Lehigh (#14), Delaware (#16), Vermont (#17), Drexel (#18), Hopkins (#19), and Bryant (#20). At this point, only Duke (#12), Denver (#18), and UNC (#19) are even in the current top 20 from that preseason cohort. And in 2012, the Hounds were preseason #21, and then went 18-1 and won the National Championship. If you are basing your expectations for a season on the preseason rankings, you are setting yourself up for perpetual disappointment.

The reality is: this year's team was very similar to last year's, and the results were very similar as well. We played a MUCH more difficult schedule than last year (#1 out-of-conference schedule in the country) and we fared about the same. The one-goal win against Army last year in the PL semifinals launched us into the NCAA tournament where we earned a 1-goal win in the first round and an OT loss in the quarterfinals. This year the 1-goal game against Army went the other way. We were that close. Tough break, but not markedly different from last year.

I am proud of the Hounds and congratulate them on an admirable season. Through all of the ups and downs, this team played with class, which is Coach Toomey's trademark. It makes me proud to be a Loyola fan. I look forward to next season. Go Hounds!
You are a good dude GreyingHound!

Thanks to all the seniors. Good kids, great ambassadors for our school...

The year didn’t break our way, lots of tight games, and there will be a time for the staff to analyze all that but it is what it is.

This is a proud program, strong history, and it will stay that way.

Love Coach Toomey. He loves this school. Proud he represents us and have no doubt success will be with us soon...last year we were on the right side of those tight games. This year not so much

As far as the future. I love our core...it will be fun to see these guys lead next year...

Leaders in production in order

Poitras - 38 points
James - 37 points
Kamish - 28 points
Lindsey - 28 points
Higgins - 26 points

Those 5 guys (if all healthy) will lead a balanced attack with lots of flexibility and options...they are all very good players and I believe they can get us back to where we need to go

Then you add in guys like that either showed flashes or were coming in late

Hueston
Binney

Then we will see some new faces and talent...

Maybe a McGory...a freshman stud or two...someone that’s on the cusp to have a great fall.

Let’s see who’s coming back on D. Our SSDM group will get older...I’ll count on better

That’s it...not gonna go hard negative on college kids...who cares about our feelings...these young men work hard...I’m sure they all feel bad today. Nobody feels worse then they do

Gotta a good core coming back...let’s layer in some new talent to go along with that core and go get a PL title in 2023

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”