Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Sagittarius A*

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:30 am

The defense improved from 36th or something in adjusted defensive efficiency last year to 17th this year. It was like 58th in 2020 before the new staff came in. They've held 10/16 opponents below their season goal averages. Scott Smith is going to be an All-American if he stays healthy. Szuluk had the most CTs by a Hopkins player since like the Nixon administration. There is potential for the defense to be very good. That said, this program is allergic to good goaltending so there's still no obvious fix there. Need either Webb or Versfeld to step up next year or for them to keep looking for the answer in the portal.

The offense needs serious work. There is no doubt about it. Hopefully they bring in an impact transfer or two and some of these incoming freshmen are what the doctor ordered. Collison's combo of size/skill/shooting make him about as sure of a thing at the next level as there is but you never know until they get there.
I agree with you that the D has improved under Koesterer since Petro left. If Petro had just hired JK to work with the D and FO, DP might till be the coach here. Maybe...sounds like there were other issues etc though.

The immediate problem is, can you hold onto your best players after missing the playoffs two years in a row? If I have a year of eligibility left, do I stay with a Rebuilding project or go to a place with a legit chance at the playoffs and a Final Four? UVA and UMD both have open arms wrt to our top players, so I would say that's the first concern.

As far as bringing in transfers, to compete against the top teams on the Jay's schedule, they have to bring in the top guys but they have to compete with those same teams to get them. So, you basically get the guys the perennial playoff contenders have passed on. The Jays have fallen behind the curve in this arms race. If the team can show major improvement next year, it might be able to attract top transfer again...
The college model is the opposite of pro sports. There you have to lose to get better. In college, the more you win the more you can win, the more you lose the more you lose and it's hard to turn things around once you've fallen behind the curve.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:26 am The immediate problem is, can you hold onto your best players after missing the playoffs two years in a row? If I have a year of eligibility left, do I stay with a Rebuilding project or go to a place with a legit chance at the playoffs and a Final Four? UVA and UMD both have open arms wrt to our top players, so I would say that's the first concern.
The sad state of affairs is I'm not so certain how much "top talent" there is to lose off parts of the roster to graduation and extra year transfer? Looking at who might be done and opt to take a COVID year elsewhere on the offensive side of the ball where we seem to need as much help as we can the list basically starts and ends at Degnon. Epstein at this point is a name but for whatever reason he doesn't seem to have the juice anymore, blame whoever you want for that but I really don't think there's anyone to be held accountable. The turf monster that jumped up and broke his knee has been on the lam for years.

In other facets of the game losing Narewski would be kind of lame, I'd probably really like to have McManus back too but I don't think things are as dire on the defensive side of the field in general.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:54 am
51percentcorn wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:36 am
Also a rules question - when the Maryland goalie got the delay of game for rolling the ball out of bounds for failing to clear in 20 - was it a correct call to stop play? It seems like that is rewarding the illegal behavior because it gave Maryland a chance to put a warm body in front of the goal whereas Hopkins would have had a shot at an empty net and then a chance against a back-up goalie if they didn't score. Just wondering.
It was indeed a 'smart' play by the UMD tender to look like he was putting the ball down and 'accidentally' knock it far enough away (and out of bounds, I think?) that Hop couldn't pick it up fast enough, likely giving him time to get back into the net if no foul called...so, the flag was correctly thrown for the delay. Could argue for a play-on but I don't think that's an option for that foul nor with a ball out of bounds...and it would not have been fair to Hopkins if no foul called.
could that have been a delayed penalty call?

Regardless, we would not be asking these questions if Hop could have scored against the backup goalie who came in cold.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

No I would still be asking the quesion because I was interested in the answer. I am not suggesting the play had some long lasting impact on the game - I didn't know the rule and it seems like a play on until a goal is scored or the other team "touches up" is the way to have the rule officiated. Maybe a coach might want to proceed directly to the EMO if the delay of game happened at the complete other end of the field but a start play is a free option. In that instance - given that Degnon I think had the ball with the goalie right next to him - Hopkins would have had a decent chance to get an empty netter. Seems like stopping play is rewarding the behavior albeit very smart on the part of the Terp goalie.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

it can't be a delayed penalty call as the ball went out of bounds.

i'm not even sure it could be if it was inbounds, as you need a restart depending on what happened (i didn't see it).
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

wgdsr wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:40 am it can't be a delayed penalty call as the ball went out of bounds.

i'm not even sure it could be if it was inbounds, as you need a restart depending on what happened (i didn't see it).
Maryland was trying to clear and the goalie had the ball and he was penned in by some Hopkins players and and the sideline and he was out near mid-field. The ref blew the whistle for failing to clear midline in 20 seconds. Goalie thought about it for a second and rolled the ball away from the Hopkins player and it went out of bounds. If he had dropped it as required by rule - Hopkins had the ball in the stick of their best offensive player and the goalie 50 yards from the goal. Just a comment that it seems to reward the behavior.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:56 am
wgdsr wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:40 am it can't be a delayed penalty call as the ball went out of bounds.

Maryland was trying to clear and the goalie had the ball and he was penned in by some Hopkins players and and the sideline and he was out near mid-field. The ref blew the whistle for failing to clear midline in 20 seconds. Goalie thought about it for a second and rolled the ball away from the Hopkins player and it went out of bounds. If he had dropped it as required by rule - Hopkins had the ball in the stick of their best offensive player and the goalie 50 yards from the goal. Just a comment that it seems to reward the behavior.
it does reward the behavior, but it needs a restart in any event. even if he rolled it away inbounds. play is dead and penalty while being dead needs to be assessed. there is no play on as the game was not in play.
Homer

Post by Homer »

wgdsr wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:01 pm

it does reward the behavior, but it needs a restart in any event. even if he rolled it away inbounds. play is dead and penalty while being dead needs to be assessed. there is no play on as the game was not in play.
Yeah, I have to agree with wgdsr here. Apart from out of bounds making the play dead in itself, I think with delay of game the whole basis for the penalty is that you've actually prevented play from continuing. Officiating it the other way would tend to reward the behavior in the more common situation where the aim is just to run clock.

What I don't know, though, is what happens if the same situation happens in the middle of the field -- clock hits 60, whistle blows, McNaney just turns and sails the ball toward the sideline three feet over Koesterer's head. That's got to be a more severe penalty, right? Even an ejection? If so, I guess you could try policing it that way -- any time that's the goalie's intent, whether he's close to the sideline or not, you hit him with unsportsmanlike conduct. But since I guess that's not the way it's officiated now, it was indeed a smart move on McNaney's part.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Ok - let's look at the roster and let's identify all the players Rose is going to let on her piece of wood and float away from the sinking SS Hopkins

Grad Students - Kirson/Keogh/DeSimone/Shure/Prouty/Jennings would certainly appear to have exhausted all eligibility
Lyne - assuming a double medical + COVID - has another year of eligibility - he has been here since 2017 - have to think he would like to move on to life
Versfeld - a transfer - goalie room will be pretty small regardless - Stays???

Seniors
There are 10
Fernandez - special category in that he has suffered 2 lost seasons - might think he'll be back but he was a freshman at Cuse in '18 - he might be tired of this as much as Lyne
4 seniors saw limited game action - Calnan/Mabbett/Hawley/Kenneally - Hawley's 10 ground balls is the only notable statistic - Mabbett's contribution to the SSDM corp limited by injury
Then there 5: I would want all 5 back if I were PM - even Epstein - but clearly Degnon - followed by probably Narewski followed by McManus are the first 3 guys I want to hear from if I am PM

Juniors- There are now 9
There is only 1 player that contributes offensively - Angelus - he received the keys to the jalopy in the middle of the season - he produced - 3rd on the team in scoring
Ruddy appeared in 2 games Handsor/Glassmeyer DNP
Krampf appeared in 7 games - 1 goal
I would be shocked if Marcille left - goalie room is really small
That leaves Rodgers (DNP against MD so I guess that is why Keneally played - no Fernandez no Rogers) Jaronski and Szuluk. I have a hard time seeing the latter two leave and it looks like Rogers is going to get more time next year

Sophomores
This is clearly the heart of the team next year
A legit star player in Smith - a very solid SSDm in Martin and even with the ups and downs soph middies did produce apprx. 40 goals
You would have a few moments of despair if Smith left - you wouldn't want to see Martin leave and Peshko/Grimes/Evans/McDermott and Bauer will all have roles
Need Dunn for face-off depth

Freshmen
Virtually nobody played but Callahan
5 freshmen are essentially potential red-shirts as they DNP

So where is this mass exodus coming from?
If Degnon searches for a year with a contender - that would hurt - but in reality this should have been his last year anyway and nobody has said he's leaving
I don't see Angelus leaving
The sophs all stayed together after '21 - maybe a couple leave who knows yet? We'll find out soon enough
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:24 pm
flalax22 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:22 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:18 pm
flalax22 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:15 pm That’s very different information than I’ve heard
https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... opkins-men

"badly sprained MCL in his right knee" aka a tear
But never had surgery?
probably should have!
It’s rare for someone with an MCL injury to need surgery, since this ligament can often heal within a few weeks or months with the help of other measures. But you might need it, especially if another part of your knee is also hurt.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:49 pm Ok - let's look at the roster and let's identify all the players Rose is going to let on her piece of wood and float away from the sinking SS Hopkins

Grad Students - Kirson/Keogh/DeSimone/Shure/Prouty/Jennings would certainly appear to have exhausted all eligibility
Lyne - assuming a double medical + COVID - has another year of eligibility - he has been here since 2017 - have to think he would like to move on to life

Seniors
There are 10
Fernandez - special category in that he has suffered 2 lost seasons - might think he'll be back but he was a freshman at Cuse in '18 - he might be tired of this as much as Lyne
4 seniors saw limited game action - Calnan/Mabbett/Hawley/Kenneally - Hawley's 10 ground balls is the only notable statistic - Mabbett's contribution to the SSDM corp limited by injury
Then there 5: I would want all 5 back if I were PM - even Epstein - but clearly Degnon - followed by probably Narewski followed by McManus are the first 3 guys I want to hear from if I am PM

Juniors- There are now 9
There is only 1 player that contributes offensively - Angelus - he received the keys to the jalopy in the middle of the season - he produced - 3rd on the team in scoring
That leaves Rodgers (DNP against MD so I guess that is why Keneally played - no Fernandez no Rogers) Jaronski and Szuluk. I have a hard time seeing the latter two leave and it looks like Rogers is going to get more time next year

Sophomores
A legit star player in Smith - a very solid SSDm in Martin and even with the ups and downs soph middies did produce apprx. 40 goals
You would have a few moments of despair if Smith left - you wouldn't want to see Martin leave and Peshko/Grimes/Evans/McDermott and Bauer will all have roles

Freshmen

If Degnon searches for a year with a contender - that would hurt - but in reality this should have been his last year anyway and nobody has said he's leaving
The sophs all stayed together after '21 - maybe a couple leave who knows yet? We'll find out soon enough
Good rundown. The "who do we want back" game can be tough despite how giddy the jhu06s of the world are to hand kids their pink slips — a lot of factors go into these decisions from both a player's and coach's perspective and it's not always about how effective they are on a lacrosse field — but the discussion of course starts with Garrett Degnon. Managing 40 goals on 31% shooting split between midfield and attack in what was otherwise a mediocre offense is a very good year at the office. What most impresses me about him is the little things he does throughout a game that don't show up in a stat sheet — racing back to get in the hole, a real physicality/toughness that helps set the tone, and an energy that other guys seem to feed off of. He's added a new wrinkle to his game each year of his career — that's the kind of player development people here used to complain we weren't seeing under Petro. Still think he has more to offer as a dodger with his size and signature hitch-and-go move. We desperately should want him back next year but can't really blame him if he decides to test out his options in the portal.

No matter what happens, DeSo and Keogh are definitely gone — that's 71 pts and two big roles for the taking — there will be opportunities for freshmen or transfers to play.

Goalie situation remains less than ideal. The buzz on Webb was strong but outside of a blip in a blowout against UVA he didn't sniff the field. Maybe they were getting him ready with an eye toward 2023 and the future...or maybe we need another transfer infusion. It's weird that there is no goalie in the incoming frosh class
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:07 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:49 pm Ok - let's look at the roster and let's identify all the players Rose is going to let on her piece of wood and float away from the sinking SS Hopkins

Seniors
There are 10

Juniors- There are now 9

Sophomores

Freshmen

Good rundown. The "who do we want back" game can be tough despite how giddy the jhu06s of the world are to hand kids their pink slips — a lot of factors go into these decisions from both a player's and coach's perspective and it's not always about how effective they are on a lacrosse field — but the discussion of course starts with Garrett Degnon. Managing 40 goals on 31% shooting split between midfield and attack in what was otherwise a mediocre offense is a very good year at the office. What most impresses me about him is the little things he does throughout a game that don't show up in a stat sheet — racing back to get in the hole, a real physicality/toughness that helps set the tone, and an energy that other guys seem to feed off of. He's added a new wrinkle to his game each year of his career — that's the kind of player development people here used to complain we weren't seeing under Petro. Still think he has more to offer as a dodger with his size and signature hitch-and-go move. We desperately should want him back next year but can't really blame him if he decides to test out his options in the portal.

No matter what happens, DeSo and Keogh are definitely gone — that's 71 pts and two big roles for the taking — there will be opportunities for freshmen or transfers to play.

Goalie situation remains less than ideal. The buzz on Webb was strong but outside of a blip in a blowout against UVA he didn't sniff the field. Maybe they were getting him ready with an eye toward 2023 and the future...or maybe we need another transfer infusion. It's weird that there is no goalie in the incoming frosh class
It's a lockerroom that went 11-18 the last 2 years and some of you think this is a final 4 team. I won't miss keogh or deso who were inconsistent throughout their careers. The offense at least with benson had shooting and manup going, the offense this year was some of the worst in the 19 years I've followed the team. We never saw scoring runs this year like the one maryland put together. Those sophomore midfielders did not develop this year. Peshko and Grimes have no interest in using their size, evans and mcdermott found themselves on their backs consistently, and raposo looks like a d3 player. Epstein 30 turnovers 25 goals, angelus 23/19, mcdermott 11/5, keogh shot 17 percent. There needs to be accountability with this roster and this staff and it starts with letting epstein walk. Having a 3x captain in limbo isn't good for the lockerroom. As I documented earlier the last 2 staffs have moved these kids around constantly on offense and at some point you have to be honest, look at the lack of production and allow a kid to find a new home.

They put of effort into the lsm and goalie positions in the transfer portal, redeveloping the ssdm position and they were outscored 66-18 to start the uva/rutgers/terp games. Too many games they were just blown out.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Homer wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:17 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:01 pm

Yeah, I have to agree with wgdsr here. Apart from out of bounds making the play dead in itself, I think with delay of game the whole basis for the penalty is that you've actually prevented play from continuing. Officiating it the other way would tend to reward the behavior in the more common situation where the aim is just to run clock.

What I don't know, though, is what happens if the same situation happens in the middle of the field -- clock hits 60, whistle blows, McNaney just turns and sails the ball toward the sideline three feet over Koesterer's head. That's got to be a more severe penalty, right? Even an ejection? If so, I guess you could try policing it that way -- any time that's the goalie's intent, whether he's close to the sideline or not, you hit him with unsportsmanlike conduct. But since I guess that's not the way it's officiated now, it was indeed a smart move on McNaney's part.
yes, that's how I read it in real time and as they replayed it...looked like no option for refs, given ball out of bounds. Dead ball. Goalie was semi-clever in that he didn't make it super obvious as to his intent, but he indeed accomplished knocking it away after appearing to set it down as he was supposed to do. Quick thinking, but I suspect he'd previously imagined such a situation so knew what to do.

I don't think you levy a heavy penalty for this, though I guess one can imagine a super egregious display of disregard.

I tend to see this as more of a display of high lax IQ than something particularly unsportsmanlike. I recall my son, back when the refs had to wait for the goalie to get reset in goal after a whistle, purposely run out after a missed shot, then slow walk getting back in all while instructing his defense on the reset. Refs had to wait for him and it gave the D a chance to reset...all within the rules, so not directly analogous, but I'm sure irritating to the offensive players ready for a push...I approved of the change in the rules for quick re-start, but as the rules were what they were at the time, I was surprised a bit that my son had been so conscious as to how to play those situations...I suspect the UMD tender had imagined the situation he found himself in, so knew the penalty tradeoff possibility and made the decision with that forethought.
Wood Sticks 4ever

Post by Wood Sticks 4ever »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:26 am

The immediate problem is, can you hold onto your best players after missing the playoffs two years in a row? If I have a year of eligibility left, do I stay with a Rebuilding project or go to a place with a legit chance at the playoffs and a Final Four? UVA and UMD both have open arms wrt to our top players, so I would say that's the first concern.
Remember this joke from Annie Hall?

Two elderly women are at a Catskill mountain resort, and one of them says, "Boy, the food at this place is really terrible." The other one says, "Yeah, I know; and such small portions."

Are we really saying the team is not talented enough, so how do we keep them from leaving?

Last year (injuries aside), would JHU be better off starting Reinson or Scott Smith? Reinson was better, but if Smith had a year of experience - he might have been an AA this year. And the next, and the next. What we know for sure was Reinson would be no help at all this year. Or the next, or the next.

This is a rebuild, and as good as McManus, Narewski, Epstein, Narewski and Degnon have been, shouldn't block development of guys like Todaro, Callahan and Bauer. And if we end up 5-11 instead of 7-9 that is the price we need to pay to be competitive again.
The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:59 pm The offense at least with benson had shooting and manup going,
Don't let facts ruin a good story
Year Shot Percentage EMO Percentage
22 27 38
21 32 43
20 26 28
19 29 46
18 29 35
17 31 60
16 31 40

So the worst year was 2020 - who was the OC then? The best shooting year was actually 2021
and while no one is proclaiming 22 as a great shooting team it was fairly close to what you saw since 2015
The 2017 aberation in EMO was Patrick Fraser
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Wood Sticks 4ever wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:23 pm What we know for sure was Reinson would be no help at all this year. Or the next, or the next.
To be completely fair - Reinson could have played this year - he chose to move on in life so good for him but the coaches may not have known that at the time. In fact, there were thoughts that Reinson was coming back at first. But I get your point - and this is an issue with transfers and it is an issue with a bloated roster - nobody is sure who is going to do what
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:36 am I know I am solidly in the camp of give it time - but to be clear I have no affiliation or connection with Milliman - but even the worst critic on this board would have to recognize how hard Hopkins played - especially on defense. And when it got to 12-5 or whatever - easily could have thrown in the towel at that point and 18-6 or something like that might have been the outcome - but despite being very tired on defense they continued to give effort. Over the past two years that has been one of the more encouraging outcomes.

I was puzzled by one thing - Brady Keneally - he had a tough time out there - appeared in only 5 games - yet appeared to have a more significant role in the BIG semifinal - was it a hurrah for a senior? I noticed Fernandez did not play so maybe he took his runs? Not a great sign that Fernandez couldn't post.

Also a rules question - when the Maryland goalie got the delay of game for rolling the ball out of bounds for failing to clear in 20 - was it a correct call to stop play? It seems like that is rewarding the illegal behavior because it gave Maryland a chance to put a warm body in front of the goal whereas Hopkins would have had a shot at an empty net and then a chance against a back-up goalie if they didn't score. Just wondering.
I am not sure when Keneally committed to Hop, but he's on the thin side. Maybe Petro thought he would fill out. Stand him next to Smith and the difference is striking.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Wood Sticks 4ever wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:23 pm Last year (injuries aside), would JHU be better off starting Reinson or Scott Smith? Reinson was better, but if Smith had a year of experience - he might have been an AA this year. And the next, and the next.
I mean Smith really should be an All-American THIS year but they generally don't give accolades to defensive players on bad teams. Even though the defense itself is not bad. Maybe if we keep pounding the drum he'll get more notice. I haven't seen a more athletic close defenseman all year. There is no limit for that kid. By far Petro's best recruiting hit of his final few years and the most talented piece he left the new staff with, but also credit to PM/Koesterer/Annino for getting him going.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:41 pm
Wood Sticks 4ever wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:23 pm Last year (injuries aside), would JHU be better off starting Reinson or Scott Smith? Reinson was better, but if Smith had a year of experience - he might have been an AA this year. And the next, and the next.
I mean Smith really should be an All-American THIS year but they generally don't give accolades to defensive players on bad teams. Even though the defense itself is not bad. Maybe if we keep pounding the drum he'll get more notice. I haven't seen a more athletic close defenseman all year. There is no limit for that kid. By far Petro's best recruiting hit of his final few years and the most talented piece he left the new staff with, but also credit to PM/Koesterer/Annino for getting him going.
Smith has developed under JK and Anino. He was also a five star recruit.
However, I would say that 33, 9, and 51 have not developed to their full potential under PM and Jr.
Perhaps injuries played a role here though.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:30 am However, I would say that 33, 9, and 51 have not developed to their full potential under PM and Jr.
You never make grandiose uninformed statements do you? Always contain their nuances
Sagittarius A* wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:30 am Perhaps injuries played a role here though.
Perhaps? Let's review Grimes to start with
2019 - does not play competitive lacrosse for Boys Latin - Back injury
2020 - Does not play competitive lacrosse for Boys Latin - COVID
2020 - no fall practice for Johns Hopkins
2021 - Spring practice interrupted for COVID
2021 - Produces 8 goals 0 assists on 20% shooting and picks up 6 ground balls while committing 8 turnovers
2022 - Suffers significant wrist injury which keeps him out of 4 games - coming out of the injury obviously not himself - takes a total of 4 shots against Michigan/Rutgers and Ohio State - Produces 11 goals 3 assists in 2 fewer games while doubling his ground ball output to 12 and keeping his turnovers the same at 8. Oh - shooting percentage goes up to 26%

Peshko
2020 - Produces 9 goals and 1 assist on very high 41% shooting - ground balls and turnovers are both low 4 and 3
2021 - clearly hurt at the beginning of the years - still almost doubles his goal output to 16 - adds 4 assists and increases his ground balls to 13 - of his 16 goals - a grand total of 2 came in the first 6 games and he only took 11 of his 54 shots in those first 6 games. If he had maintained his goal average in the last half of the year through the entire year he wooul dhave something like 22/23 goals. On the negative side his shot % dropped to 30 but still not horrible for a mid-fielder but his turnovers were up by alot

Bottom line - Peshko and Grimes are fine - stay healthy and they will help the team

McDermott's even easier - he's not really a mid-fielder - go back and look at his videos - he's a hybrid wing attackman that got alot of solos at X. He actually might be a reasonable candidate to take Epstein's slot if he leaves (and McDermott stays)

Context context context

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”