Boy oh BOY do we need Degnon to come back next year
flalax22

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by flalax22 »

PM not emptying the bench. Puzzling
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:39 pm Scott Smith might be the best dodger on the team

Heard he is. Let’s hope.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:41 pm PM not emptying the bench. Puzzling
he did for the seniors: Prouty, Calnan, Mabbett, etc.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

End of the 2022 season for the Blue Jays.

Remains to be seen who stays and who goes.

But I want to thank all the Blue Jays who are moving on for their efforts.

They gave Maryland a spirited effort and never gave up on the season.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

flalax22 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:42 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:39 pm Scott Smith might be the best dodger on the team

Heard he is. Let’s hope.
Degnon finishes with 40 goals on the season. Possible HM AA.

He’s developed into an elite finisher, and he’s a better dodger than many know.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Scott Smith ends his sophomore season with 36 GBs, 18 CTs, and 4 goals in 11 starts.

Szuluk: 28 GBs, 21 CTs

Martin: 27 GBs, 11 CTs, 3 assists

Three good defensive pieces to build around. Hope Degnon and his 40 goals return. But need help on offense.
Warrior62

Post by Warrior62 »

Not sure when Hopkins hired Milliman this is what they were hoping for.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Warrior62 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:39 pm Not sure when Hopkins hired Milliman this is what they were hoping for.
your mom told me she said the same thing about you when you were born
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:44 pm
Warrior62 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:39 pm Not sure when Hopkins hired Milliman this is what they were hoping for.
your mom told me she said the same thing about you when you were born
Fruits and vegetables.

Sparkling water.

NOW.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:43 pm
flalax22 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:41 pm PM not emptying the bench. Puzzling
he did for the seniors: Prouty, Calnan, Mabbett, etc.
Saw Prouty .. missed the rest
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Press conference: https://hopkinssports.com/news/2022/5/5 ... inals.aspx

Some nice words from DeSo about his time in the program.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

We wait eight months for the season. Then it's disappointing, just like the year before. Then it's over and we have another eight months to wait. And that puts a lot of us in bad moods. Next year is a new year and hopefully it will be different. The Jays will be back again one of these years. Might not be next year, but it will happen. Enjoy the offseason everyone. Let in some hope, even if it's not entirely rational.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

nyjay wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:18 pm We wait eight months for the season. Then it's disappointing, just like the year before. Then it's over and we have another eight months to wait. And that puts a lot of us in bad moods. Next year is a new year and hopefully it will be different. The Jays will be back again one of these years. Might not be next year, but it will happen. Enjoy the offseason everyone. Let in some hope, even if it's not entirely rational.
Is this a good time to note that between 1908 and 2016, there were at least four full generations of Chicago Cubs fans who kept sayin’ “wait ‘till next year!” only to go to their eternal graves bitterly disappointed, devastated, and disallusioned?

DocBarrister (wait ‘till next year!) ;)
@DocBarrister
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I know I am solidly in the camp of give it time - but to be clear I have no affiliation or connection with Milliman - but even the worst critic on this board would have to recognize how hard Hopkins played - especially on defense. And when it got to 12-5 or whatever - easily could have thrown in the towel at that point and 18-6 or something like that might have been the outcome - but despite being very tired on defense they continued to give effort. Over the past two years that has been one of the more encouraging outcomes.

I was puzzled by one thing - Brady Keneally - he had a tough time out there - appeared in only 5 games - yet appeared to have a more significant role in the BIG semifinal - was it a hurrah for a senior? I noticed Fernandez did not play so maybe he took his runs? Not a great sign that Fernandez couldn't post.

Also a rules question - when the Maryland goalie got the delay of game for rolling the ball out of bounds for failing to clear in 20 - was it a correct call to stop play? It seems like that is rewarding the illegal behavior because it gave Maryland a chance to put a warm body in front of the goal whereas Hopkins would have had a shot at an empty net and then a chance against a back-up goalie if they didn't score. Just wondering.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:36 am I know I am solidly in the camp of give it time - but to be clear I have no affiliation or connection with Milliman - but even the worst critic on this board would have to recognize how hard Hopkins played - especially on defense. And when it got to 12-5 or whatever - easily could have thrown in the towel at that point and 18-6 or something like that might have been the outcome - but despite being very tired on defense they continued to give effort. Over the past two years that has been one of the more encouraging outcomes.

I was puzzled by one thing - Brady Keneally - he had a tough time out there - appeared in only 5 games - yet appeared to have a more significant role in the BIG semifinal - was it a hurrah for a senior? I noticed Fernandez did not play so maybe he took his runs? Not a great sign that Fernandez couldn't post.

Also a rules question - when the Maryland goalie got the delay of game for rolling the ball out of bounds for failing to clear in 20 - was it a correct call to stop play? It seems like that is rewarding the illegal behavior because it gave Maryland a chance to put a warm body in front of the goal whereas Hopkins would have had a shot at an empty net and then a chance against a back-up goalie if they didn't score. Just wondering.
He really struggled and I was confused as to why he was on the field after such limited contributions this season.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:36 am I know I am solidly in the camp of give it time - but to be clear I have no affiliation or connection with Milliman - but even the worst critic on this board would have to recognize how hard Hopkins played - especially on defense. And when it got to 12-5 or whatever - easily could have thrown in the towel at that point and 18-6 or something like that might have been the outcome - but despite being very tired on defense they continued to give effort. Over the past two years that has been one of the more encouraging outcomes.

they beat two teams with winning records this year-both at home and it was hard to see any progress this season.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:36 am
It was indeed a 'smart' play by the UMD tender to look like he was putting the ball down and 'accidentally' knock it far enough away (and out of bounds, I think?) that Hop couldn't pick it up fast enough, likely giving him time to get back into the net if no foul called...so, the flag was correctly thrown for the delay. Could argue for a play-on but I don't think that's an option for that foul nor with a ball out of bounds...and it would not have been fair to Hopkins if no foul called.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:50 am

they beat two teams with winning records this year-both at home and it was hard to see any progress this season.
Look I know I keep saying this and it's not a quantum leap but how is winning three more games than last year not progress? It's not monumental progress, but it's progress. They were never going to make massive progress with this roster in two seasons — one severely hindered by Covid.

The defense improved from 36th or something in adjusted defensive efficiency last year to 17th this year. It was like 58th in 2020 before the new staff came in. They've held 10/16 opponents below their season goal averages. Scott Smith is going to be an All-American if he stays healthy. Szuluk had the most CTs by a Hopkins player since like the Nixon administration. There is potential for the defense to be very good. That said, this program is allergic to good goaltending so there's still no obvious fix there. Need either Webb or Versfeld to step up next year or for them to keep looking for the answer in the portal.

The offense needs serious work. There is no doubt about it. Hopefully they bring in an impact transfer or two and some of these incoming freshmen are what the doctor ordered. Collison's combo of size/skill/shooting make him about as sure of a thing at the next level as there is but you never know until they get there.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:50 am they beat two teams with winning records this year-both at home and it was hard to see any progress this season.
Of course you would post that - there is no context in your world
Of their 9 losses - 5 of them were against the latest Media polls #1/#2/#3 and #4 teams - every single one of those games with the exception of the 1st Maryland game was on the opponents home field. You tell me how many teams are going to play Maryland/UVA/Rutgers/ and Georgetown on their home fields and come away successful. Maybe one or two of the Ivies - not many others
Oh - Ohio State is ranked somewhere in the Top 11-15 and they played them in Columbus

Another loss was to a UNC team in Chapel Hill - that was still in the Top 20 and while they will be home for the Holidays - still an OK team with wins over Richmond and Brown

Since either or Delaware or Towson is going to the tournament - Jacksonville will probably go - Ohio State will probably go and Loyola could even go that could mean the 14 game schedule had 8 teams on it that are in the NCAA field - that's half the field after the play-ins

IMO
Criticize Milliman all you want for the scheduling - two sets of 48 hour games was likely a poor decision in hindsight - though Hopkins is not anywhere near as good as Georgetown and wouldn't get 10 goals on that defense and goalie with a month's rest. They owed Delaware a game in Newark. Again, if you want to preserve the rivalries you can't pick and choose which year you do it but the scheduling was suspect
Criticize Milliman for Murphy - if you think you know the entire/real story and "were in the building" - this characterization that OM was dismissed out of hand to show the team who's boss is just flat out wrong
Criticze Milliman for some interesting player decisions but again since none of us are in the room - we don't know what really happened. Why did he not play Grimes last year in the second half after scoring 3 in the first? (maybe he was hurt) What went down with Epstein? I can guess - I have a different characterization of him than others but I don't know. There are others but they are minor. Let's also give credit in that Degnon got to 40 goals - DeSimone and then Angelus were correctly connected to their appropriate positions on the field. The mid-fields were a mess - due in part to injuries and in part because of the roster construction left over

But the fact remains that for whatever reason - this over-rated - no personality coach gets the team to get off the mat and play hard. The Exodus that may happen over the next week or two may tell a different story but if he is that dis-liked they would have lost to Penn State (as Dixon said last night)

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”