Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by HopFan16 »

ABClaxfan wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:27 am
HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:45 am
FlyEaglesFly wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:42 am Am I missing something on Handley? Is he in the portal or is this just a hypothetical?
Hypothetical, but he can't play at Penn next year and he isn't being discussed as a PLL draft pick so the assumption is he's going to play college lacrosse somewhere next season, just hasn't officially entered the portal yet. A lot of kids won't until their seasons are over.

Every school in the country will want him. We're very, very, very, very likely not going to get him. Doesn't mean we shouldn't try.
I believe Handley may have taken some time off from Penn and will be returning next year. His LinkedIn lists Penn 2018-2023
Gotcha, was going off him being listed as a senior on Penn's roster. I had not considered the Linkedin angle
smoova

Post by smoova »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:27 am There are no five start recruits in the next two incoming classes.
This is why there's reason for hope.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

The tesl measure of impact year to year has to include all gains and losses eg. Returnees, incoming recruits, transfers in etc. players develop over timex. There are times in a career when a player makes a jump over previous year.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

smoova wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:28 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:27 am There are no five start recruits in the next two incoming classes.
I'm actually interested to know what makes someone a proper 5 star recruit anyways. For anyone maybe a bit more in the know, what tool is a kid like Koleton Marquis missing?
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 2:03 pm
I'm actually interested to know what makes someone a proper 5 star recruit anyways. For anyone maybe a bit more in the know, what tool is a kid like Koleton Marquis missing?
He's probably much better than many of the kids out there but because he doesn't play in the Inside Lacrosse Xanders / Club Hype machine, he will not be on any lists
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:16 am
xxxxxxx wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:34 am Was it a mistake to let Baskin go? He put up 28 goals with 16 assists at Villanova, or was Coach just ready to turn the page?
He had 7 goals in 13 games last year and as 51 mentioned his numbers at Villanova come with a large variety of caveats

I don't know what the "large variety of caveats" are, but I think he could have helped. First Team Big East is a pretty good year, maybe he wasn't used correctly by the coaching staff??

https://villanova.com/news/2022/5/4/men ... onors.aspx
Ruffled_Feathers

Awful lot of noise there, your position is two coaching staffs screwed it up completely and this is apples to apples comparison with generally different scheduling. Without having watched a single Villanova game either I might also need to ask the question if their other starting 5 sans Baskin is better as an offensive core in general than our starting offensive core this year as well? Again a great deal of our offensive woes this year has a good bit to due with the fact that an attention grabber like Cole Williams graduated and was replaced with nothing of the same cloth. Do you really think if you sub Baskin in for like Keogh or something we're all of the sudden a Top Ten offense?

I don't know why people keep coming to this thread asking these same questions about the "ones that got away". Do you just want some of us to write lengthy posts shitting on the talent level of these guys from our recently past rosters and also our current roster? I guess it'd make for decent bulletin board material to say "here's why you shouldn't go to Hopkins young recruit, the fans will turn on you and not appreciate your talent".

I think the coaching staff can very much be forgiven for expecting that losing out on 9 points worth of production would get picked up by the maturation of some of the Freshman becoming Sophmores and potentially some incoming Freshman as well. Maybe it actually did, maybe they were actually wrong but I think anyone who comes in here and acting like these 3 mentioned players are the difference between this years team even making the playoffs vs not hasn't been paying attention. What would the expectation be if we still had all 3? Playoff contention, Quarterfinalist, Final 4 weekend?

Roster moves at this point are even more so about setting up for success in year 4 of the Milliman regime rather than this year or next. We aren't all that close.
Last edited by Ruffled_Feathers on Wed May 04, 2022 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruffled_Feathers

courtdog wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 2:17 pm
He's probably much better than many of the kids out there but because he doesn't play in the Inside Lacrosse Xanders / Club Hype machine, he will not be on any lists
Yeah this is really what I'm on about. Like can someone actually give me a line of demarcation. Does Don Bosco play in a "soft" league? Is he not a threat to shoot with his off hand? Telling me someone is a 4 star vs 5 star recruit is beyond meaningless unless you can give me a scouting reason or some sort of metric like baseball has with grading someones Fastball as an 80++ pitch.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:10 pm I don't know why people keep coming to this thread asking these same questions about the "ones that got away".
It's low-level trolling designed to, well, ruffle feathers. :D They know what they're doing. Especially with the incessant mentions of a player who has 6 goals on 19% shooting for the defending national champions.

Also worth noting that, no, the team hasn't had a good season — but it's still been a holistic improvement over last year. +3 in the win column, went from 4-9 to at worst 7-9. That's nothing to write home about but the idea that losing a couple of minor contributors from a bad team was some kind of big mistake instantly falls apart when you consider the team has since won more games without them than with them.

I'm happy for any former Jay who goes on to do well at other locations. That's the nature of the transfer portal now. Some guys move on and thrive in their new places, other guys do about the same, others do worse or disappear. We haven't talked about the guys who left the team and have done absolutely nothing at their new schools. There are several of those too. But it's more fun to try to piss people off I suppose. If it wasn't, this thread would have much fewer pages.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:15 pm
courtdog wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 2:17 pm
Yeah this is really what I'm on about. Like can someone actually give me a line of demarcation. Does Don Bosco play in a "soft" league? Is he not a threat to shoot with his off hand? Telling me someone is a 4 star vs 5 star recruit is beyond meaningless unless you can give me a scouting reason or some sort of metric like baseball has with grading someones Fastball as an 80++ pitch.
From what I've seen, Marquis is not an elite athlete (size/strength and foot speed are probably only about average to above-average) but he more than makes up for it with IQ, vision, stick skills, creativity, passing, shooting accuracy, and toughness. He's not a "perfect" prospect but then again, such a thing doesn't really exist. Having the success he's had for the NJ state champions and in various box leagues across North America would be enough to be named a 5-star in my book, but no one cares about my book. And, admittedly, I watch a lot less HS lacrosse than the guys who decide the star ratings.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Hey, it looks like there's an opening at Providence for a head coaching job!
It looks like St. Johns too.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:10 pm Awful lot of noise there, your position is two coaching staffs screwed it up completely and this is apples to apples comparison with generally different scheduling. Without having watched a single Villanova game either I might also need to ask the question if their other starting 5 sans Baskin is better as an offensive core in general than our starting offensive core this year as well? Again a great deal of our offensive woes this year has a good bit to due with the fact that an attention grabber like Cole Williams graduated and was replaced with nothing of the same cloth. Do you really think if you sub Baskin in for like Keogh or something we're all of the sudden a Top Ten offense?

I don't know why people keep coming to this thread asking these same questions about the "ones that got away". Do you just want some of us to write lengthy posts shitting on the talent level of these guys from our recently past rosters and also our current roster? I guess it'd make for decent bulletin board material to say "here's why you shouldn't go to Hopkins young recruit, the fans will turn on you and not appreciate your talent".

I think the coaching staff can very much be forgiven for expecting that losing out on 9 points worth of production would get picked up by the maturation of some of the Freshman becoming Sophmores and potentially some incoming Freshman as well. Maybe it actually did, maybe they were actually wrong but I think anyone who comes in here and acting like these 3 mentioned players are the difference between this years team even making the playoffs vs not hasn't been paying attention. What would the expectation be if we still had all 3? Playoff contention, Quarterfinalist, Final 4 weekend?

Roster moves at this point are even more so about setting up for success in year 4 of the Milliman regime rather than this year or next. We aren't all that close.
You clearly deserve your name, never said anything about making them a top ten offense, I said he could have helped. If you are thinking about success in year 4 then they didn't need him or any other 5th year player, and don't complain until year 5. In my opinion, he is a very good player that was underutilized at Hopkins and they didn't get the most out of him. I think he is one of many examples over the last few years in Baltimore.
Ruffled_Feathers

HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:22 pm is not an elite athlete (size/strength and foot speed are probably only about average to above-average)
I think I literally just read these same words about 5 star recruit Spallina on the Syracuse thread this morning... ;)

Actually I may be incorrect, double checking now I think the mention was about Jeff Teat lacking such measurables.
Last edited by Ruffled_Feathers on Wed May 04, 2022 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ruffled_Feathers

xxxxxxx wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:27 pm You clearly deserve your name, never said anything about making them a top ten offense, I said he could have helped. If you are thinking about success in year 4 then they didn't need him or any other 5th year player, and don't complain until year 5. In my opinion, he is a very good player that was underutilized at Hopkins and they didn't get the most out of him. I think he is one of many examples over the last few years in Baltimore.
The funny thing is you think I'm the one on here complaining about the current state of the program... Theres a cadre of us that have been preaching patience with rebuilding the whole roster, meanwhile those who might agree with you like our resident SagA above want to run the new coaching staff out of town after a year and a half without any form of giving them a fair shake.
DocBarrister

Go Blue Jays!

Post by DocBarrister »

I know what the probable outcome is of tomorrow’s game, but they play these games for a reason.

Go Blue Jays! Beat Maryland!!!

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:15 pm Yeah this is really what I'm on about. Like can someone actually give me a line of demarcation. Does Don Bosco play in a "soft" league? Is he not a threat to shoot with his off hand? Telling me someone is a 4 star vs 5 star recruit is beyond meaningless unless you can give me a scouting reason or some sort of metric like baseball has with grading someones Fastball as an 80++ pitch.
Bosco is a good team and was the NJ State Champs last year for good reason. However, that being said, Bosco plays in the NJILL (NJ Interscholastic Lacrosse League), which is a mix of preps and publics. It's a good but not great league. It has some decent teams but it's not Long Island or the MIAA by any stretch. They did defeat Gilman earlier this year 9-8, but that's about the biggest name they played outside of NJ. They don't do what a lot of the other NJ preps do which is play the PA schools (Haverford, Episcopal, Malvern), or even like Lawrenceville which is a high level NJ prep school. Like this year, Delbarton (also in the NJILL but in a different division) also had Malvern, Chaminade, St. Anthony's, and Fairfield Prep (CT) scheduled in addition to their league schedule. Bosco really doesn't do that; the most I can see is that a few years ago they played IMG and lost 13-6.

So I'm guessing part of it is the competition. Its likely compounded by the fact that while other top recruits are playing on more prestigious summer teams that play tougher competition, Marquis didn't. For example, Spallina played in the summer for one of the best summer teams in Team 91 Smash, which faced (and usually beat) the best summer teams in the country. Marquis plays for O2 which is a decent regional summer team (my kids team has played them before), who are sort of a few steps down from that level imho; they are really more known for having an awesome box team.

It's sort of like where Elliott Dubick for Maryland is, another 4 star attackman. He plays in a (imho) worse league in Montgomery County Maryland and is just putting up stupid numbers. Like averaging almost 9 points a game this year (11 games, 42g, 52a). But like, if you're a stud, you should be doing that...I've seen some of the teams he plays, and the defense he's up against is just simply outmatched. Smoking a bad pole for a cool highlight is not really something that matters for the competition you'll face in the Big 10 for example.

I don't blame either kid, as you can only play who you play, but there's a difference between dominating B level competition, and dominating A level competition. So it's sort of prove it for those guys.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Baskin and Zinn’s productivity was a direct result of their coaches. They go to two different coaches and bingo slomg with Murphy become productive players

Whst seems to never get mentioned is the lost recruits who should be included in discussions of lost talent.

The offense this year was not good.

They won three more games but 5 is the magic number. Add Navy who we had not lost to in 50 tears and DE who we had never lost to before.

MD was the worst game i have ever seen Hopkins play. Senior Day was a disgrace as was the Hopkins 100s breakfast.

Looking at preliminary recruiting results i find myself wondering which top teams we are overtaking in talent.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

OCanada wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:26 am Baskin and Zinn’s productivity was a direct result of their coaches. They go to two different coaches and bingo slomg with Murphy become productive players
Absolutely everything about these two sentence is wrong. Every word. Incredible.
OCanada wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:26 amWhst seems to never get mentioned is the lost recruits who should be included in discussions of lost talent.
Like who? The two best offensive recruits in the 2021 class left for a team that we just dominated twice. The hypothetical 2022 recruits that might have been (I assume you mean Dom and his friends), even if that were to come to pass, that is a TERRIBLE reason to stick with a coach whom you'd otherwise move on from. The team needed a full-scale culture change and 100 times out of 100 you accept the *possible* temporary recruiting hit. We can also play this game all day. If we don't make the coaching change, we don't get Collison or Marquis or flip English.
OCanada wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:26 amThe offense this year was not good.
It sucked in 2020 too when all your pals were still there
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

If Hopkins is able to beat Maryland, does the crab trophy change hands or is it only for regular season?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:41 am If Hopkins is able to beat Maryland, does the crab trophy change hands or is it only for regular season?
Good question.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”