Coaching Hot Seats

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Coaching Hot Seats

Post by Farfromgeneva »

sguy9 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:48 am Providence...

What about either John Svec or Brett Holm? Both are on staff down the road at Brown. Svec has HC experience. Holm was an assistant at providence a few years back.
Svec was a terrible assistant and rotted the culture in geneva as AHC and
then flamed out at Siena. He’s a career assistant now who will make his money in the club and camp circuit.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:09 am
jerseyjames wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:33 am
pcowlax wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:08 am
jerseyjames wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:42 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:11 pm
jerseyjames wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:50 pm
laxpert wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:14 pm Outside of the current assistants who are the candidates to fill these vacancies?
I think both jobs are decent jobs, obviously Prov more then St. Johns but will attract a very deep pool of candidates. I think will be intersteing to see who is trying to go back home to the island and take interviews with St. Johns, perhaps a Wellner?
How much do those jobs pay compared to say … the OC position at Maryland and the DC position at Syracuse?

Just curious.

DocBarrister ;)

I obviously don't have facts and figures but I definitely feel like Providence will invest, with those facilities how can they not. Plus you can't put a price on quality of life and making the Miss's happy and the fact is lots of coaches want to find their way back to the island especially to run a program.
the island = Rhode Island? Never heard that one before. Buffett wants to back to the island in Tin Cup Chalice but he wasn’t talking about Providence.
Long Island as in the St Johns job, live on the island, commute to Queens
Petro isn’t going to St Johns. They’re getting a cheap assistant most likely.
Agreed. How about Gabrielli to St. John’s? I’ve always found it odd that when coaches get fired in lacrosse they almost always just stop coaching. That’s rarely the case in other sports. It’s not like he forgot how to coach, perhaps a change of scenery, a guy who know the Big East, and very successfully recruits Long Island isn’t a bad route. Most importantly, he needs a job and St John’s is not going to attract much better than that IMO.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

InsiderRoll wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:15 am
laxpert wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:14 pm Outside of the current assistants who are the candidates to fill these vacancies?
I think both jobs are decent jobs, obviously Prov more then St. Johns but will attract a very deep pool of candidates. I think will be intersteing to see who is trying to go back home to the island and take interviews with St. Johns, perhaps a Wellner?
How much do those jobs pay compared to say … the OC position at Maryland and the DC position at Syracuse?

Just curious.

DocBarrister ;)

I obviously don't have facts and figures but I definitely feel like Providence will invest, with those facilities how can they not. Plus you can't put a price on quality of life and making the Miss's happy and the fact is lots of coaches want to find their way back to the island especially to run a program.
the island = Rhode Island? Never heard that one before. Buffett wants to back to the island in Tin Cup Chalice but he wasn’t talking about Providence.
Agreed. How about Gabrielli to St. John’s? I’ve always found it odd that when coaches get fired in lacrosse they almost always just stop coaching. That’s rarely the case in other sports. It’s not like he forgot how to coach, perhaps a change of scenery, a guy who know the Big East, and very successfully recruits Long Island isn’t a bad route. Most importantly, he needs a job and St John’s is not going to attract much better than that IMO.
Not a bad suggestion. Seems like some of his best players like Grillo were from that greater NYC area.

There’s roughly 70 D1 programs. Some only pay like $100k or even a little less. Guys can make that coaching lower pressure (D3 or HS) and supplement with camp and clinic income. The biggest scam used to be at Hobart where the AD kept the lions share of the camp income to himself. It was outrageous at the time and even more stupid now but unfortunately the school has been run like a “family business” for a long time letting local stakeholders feed at the trough.
socalref

Post by socalref »

NYC_lax wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:57 pm St John's has 3,000 students living in housing on campus which is more than some schools enrollment, and it is my understanding all athletes live on campus their freshman year.
The campus itself is nice, but there isn't much campus life. 3000 beds with 18000 enrolled turns it into a ghost town in the evenings and weekends. A 3000 student college with 3000 students on/adjacent to campus is a VERY different vibe. All the freshman lax players stay on campus and then get to fight for and find rental houses after that. They are on their own to coordinate that amongst themselves. A couple of bars off campus that don't ask for ID is about all you have for activity. It's mostly residential so there isn't much to do. The school is trying to break out of its history as a locals only commuter college, but it's a long way from it and has a long way to go. They try to sell it as being in the city, but you're an easy hour out with mass transit so the kids don't go to NYC often. No time anyway with the lacrosse commitment. I do think they have a good story to tell, but there is a lot that needs to change. The financial aid offered for HS academic achievement is pretty solid. A new/remodeled team locker room this past winter was a step in that direction.
jerseyjames

Post by jerseyjames »

Just curious.

DocBarrister ;)

Not worth it. Not nearly enough dough. $250k which is probably mad what even Petro could get out of a St. John’s, and that’s unlikely, to live in LI is enough to cover property taxes and have a Christmas buy not that much more. To go try to resurrect a program that didn’t exist 20yrs ago or so and never really had success other than 1-2yrs with McArdle and a transfer (Eric DeJohn from F&M in upstate who transferred from Cuse).

I never said Petro, I agree no shot in hell would he take that, maybe a Prov if he was interested, but agreed an assistant coach or a retread is most likely for St. Johns, Tim McIntee would be interested?
Old&InTheWay

Post by Old&InTheWay »

What about a Lelan Rogers? He would seem to be a person you would consider for both St. John's and Prov. Does Miller look at the Bates opening or his he out of the game all together?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jerseyjames wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:25 am

Just curious.

DocBarrister ;)

Not worth it. Not nearly enough dough. $250k which is probably mad what even Petro could get out of a St. John’s, and that’s unlikely, to live in LI is enough to cover property taxes and have a Christmas buy not that much more. To go try to resurrect a program that didn’t exist 20yrs ago or so and never really had success other than 1-2yrs with McArdle and a transfer (Eric DeJohn from F&M in upstate who transferred from Cuse).

I never said Petro, I agree no shot in hell would he take that, maybe a Prov if he was interested, but agreed an assistant coach or a retread is most likely for St. Johns, Tim McIntee would be interested?
It was docs question about Cuse DC comp within the string.

Still what St Johns paying? It’s hard to think it’s much above $150k all in and that’s a tough nut to move to LI when you have assessment rates that are like 3-4% of assessed value. Make $12.5k/mo or so, take home $7-8k and you’ve got easy a $5k/mo living expenses when you factor in property taxes. Really doesn’t leave a lot for other expenses around LI/NYC. We’re in agreement I think that it’s a job for someone who hasn’t been a D1 HC before. Or someone so desperate to be a D1 coach, and only D1, that they’ll make it work.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Old&InTheWay wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:35 am What about a Lelan Rogers? He would seem to be a person you would consider for both St. John's and Prov. Does Miller look at the Bates opening or his he out of the game all together?
Miller spent 16yrs at St Johns. May be his one and only college HC shot.

For some of these guys, and it’s been fine for MVA and Metzbower, it’s better to be AHC at a large institution, especially in a college town with a lower nearby cost of living (ie CVille isn’t cheap at all but you can find reasonable land and houses within a 15-20 min drive which doesn’t deal with major metro traffic).
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

backerzone wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:46 am I would think Galloway would give a hard look at Providence- Jax as a school is not very financially viable as an institution- little if any endowment. Providence would be a huge step up in my opinion.
He might. But I wouldn't be surprised if he stays at Jacksonville a bit longer and waits to see what happens at Syracuse(his alma mater).
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

I still say Providence should take a long, hard look at Georgetown's Mike Phipps. He is already in the Big East, so it wouldn't be too hard of a transition.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

gymman1031 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:42 pm I still say Providence should take a long, hard look at Georgetown's Mike Phipps. He is already in the Big East, so it wouldn't be too hard of a transition.
The real challenge will be pulling him away from Annapolis.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Are there accrued/accruing bennies for assistant coaches at the academies that are portable/transferable-like the way it would be at a SUNY or other state employers?
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Should Providence be better than they were under Gabrielli? Apparently the school thinks so.

Should Providence be better than they were under Gabrielli? We will find out if the lacrosse coaching fraternity thinks so. The applicant pool (not the ultimate hire) will tell us a lot about how other coaches view the job and program.

The hiring of Gabrielli signaled to many the school wanted to take a serious approach to the program; after years of mediocrity/poor results with Chris Burdick. And Gabrielli's acceptance of the job would seem to indicate people viewed the gig as legit. He was coming off a great run at Duke when he took that job.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Burdick was fine when Providence was in the MaAC. He won that AQ a few times mid 2000s abs was top of that conference most of his tenure. He was atrocious when they switched to Big East, something like 5-35 in 3 seasons in the Big East before he was replaced by Gabrielli.

I thought Gabrielli had done a solid job, even was 5-1 in shortened 2020 and had a nice season in 2019.

The more I think about it I wonder if it would be enough of an attraction for Feifs because he could do very well there I think.
NYC_lax

Post by NYC_lax »

socalref wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:33 am
NYC_lax wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:57 pm St John's has 3,000 students living in housing on campus which is more than some schools enrollment, and it is my understanding all athletes live on campus their freshman year.
The campus itself is nice, but there isn't much campus life. 3000 beds with 18000 enrolled turns it into a ghost town in the evenings and weekends. A 3000 student college with 3000 students on/adjacent to campus is a VERY different vibe. All the freshman lax players stay on campus and then get to fight for and find rental houses after that. They are on their own to coordinate that amongst themselves. A couple of bars off campus that don't ask for ID is about all you have for activity. It's mostly residential so there isn't much to do. The school is trying to break out of its history as a locals only commuter college, but it's a long way from it and has a long way to go. They try to sell it as being in the city, but you're an easy hour out with mass transit so the kids don't go to NYC often. No time anyway with the lacrosse commitment. I do think they have a good story to tell, but there is a lot that needs to change. The financial aid offered for HS academic achievement is pretty solid. A new/remodeled team locker room this past winter was a step in that direction.
I think we are saying similar things about St John's. It is not a college town school like some, but there are many lacrosse schools that are not college town schools. The school is making good strides to break out of the commuter school stereotype and there is a lot to offer. The main point I was trying to make is that it should be on par with many of the urban/city schools that do well when it comes to recruiting and the feeling by many that the school and it's setting makes it one of the worst places to recruit in D1 is not accurate.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:50 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:42 pm I still say Providence should take a long, hard look at Georgetown's Mike Phipps. He is already in the Big East, so it wouldn't be too hard of a transition.
The real challenge will be pulling him away from Annapolis.
Very true. His family has lived there for a long time and loves it.
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:03 pm Should Providence be better than they were under Gabrielli? Apparently the school thinks so.
Providence takes its athletics seriously. Men's hockey was NCAA champs in 2015, men's basketball won the Big East regular season title and made it to the sweet 16 this past year, and in the fall of 2021, men's soccer made it to the third round of the NCAAs, losing to Georgetown. My guess is they want to improve on what Gabrielli has achieved.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

DALaxDad wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:42 pm
LaxPundit07 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:03 pm Should Providence be better than they were under Gabrielli? Apparently the school thinks so.
Providence takes its athletics seriously. Men's hockey was NCAA champs in 2015, men's basketball won the Big East regular season title and made it to the sweet 16 this past year, and in the fall of 2021, men's soccer made it to the third round of the NCAAs, losing to Georgetown. My guess is they want to improve on what Gabrielli has achieved.
Dixon on BTN opined that Coach Benson might be a good fit for Providence. I agree. Benson has played in a national championship game as a player; won one as OC at Johns Hopkins; and is favored to win another one as OC at Maryland. Plus, he learned the trade under two of the best: Petro and Tillman. Quite a resume. Would love to read the letters of recommendation. :P

Frankly, if Benson wants to be a head coach at a major program some day, then he is long past due taking a head coaching gig.

I think he should go for the Providence job, and then when the Hopkins HC position opens up in a couple of years, he can return to Homewood. ;)

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:47 pm
Dixon on BTN opined that Coach Benson might be a good fit for Providence. I agree. Benson has played in a national championship game as a player; won one as OC at Johns Hopkins; and is favored to win another one as OC at Maryland. Plus, he learned the trade under two of the best: Petro and Tillman. Quite a resume. Would love to read the letters of recommendation. :P

Frankly, if Benson wants to be a head coach at a major program some day, then he is long past due taking a head coaching gig.

I think he should go for the Providence job, and then when the Hopkins HC position opens up in a couple of years, he can return to Homewood. ;)

I think a question about Benson is his family. Wife and kids are in Atlanta. Understand she is doing great at her job. Also being a HC is different then being an assistant
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

AreaLax wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:54 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:47 pm

I think a question about Benson is his family. Wife and kids are in Atlanta. Understand she is doing great at her job. Also being a HC is different then being an assistant
I thought about that as well. The probable paycheck disparity makes Benson’s job more like a hobby. However, I suspect Benson’s wife understands how important Benson’s coaching career is to him.

Alternative scenario? Galloway takes the Providence job and Benson takes over in Jacksonville.

Not sure any of that is even remotely likely but, hey … Hopkins season is already over.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”