Coaching Hot Seats

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Coaching Hot Seats

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Polley isn’t leaving BU for Prov. No chance of that. Feifs could even an interesting one.

Prov is IMO far more attractive for a HC to move to, SJU will almost have to hire either an assistant or D3 HC.

Callahan could be interesting in the parallel to Rock Sowell leaving Dart after some success to try and build the St Johns program after it came back from a long hiatus as a D1 program.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

I wonder if Seremet at Rutgers would be interested in the St. John's job. Could be a good fit.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10 10 2 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:24 pm I wonder if Seremet at Rutgers would be interested in the St. John's job. Could be a good fit.
Seremet deserves another shot and is a very good coach. Lattimore and Morrissey should be in the mix as well.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Kudos to the person who said Phipps, the assistant at G-Town! He could be a good hire for either Providence or St. John’s. After all, I doubt any other candidate would know Big East Lacrosse any better than he does.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Wonder if Kirwan would consider Providence? Lived in the area, it's close to the Mass & Conn talent pools. Would it be enticing to leave an assistant job where you're in the national conversation every year for your first HC shot at a small school with no history of success but in a good conference?
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

laxpert wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:14 pm Outside of the current assistants who are the candidates to fill these vacancies?
Thinking Benson to Prov...
jerseyjames

Post by jerseyjames »

laxpert wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:14 pm Outside of the current assistants who are the candidates to fill these vacancies?
I think both jobs are decent jobs, obviously Prov more then St. Johns but will attract a very deep pool of candidates. I think will be intersteing to see who is trying to go back home to the island and take interviews with St. Johns, perhaps a Wellner?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jerseyjames wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:50 pm
I think both jobs are decent jobs, obviously Prov more then St. Johns but will attract a very deep pool of candidates. I think will be intersteing to see who is trying to go back home to the island and take interviews with St. Johns, perhaps a Wellner?
How much do those jobs pay compared to say … the OC position at Maryland and the DC position at Syracuse?

Just curious.

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:11 pm
How much do those jobs pay compared to say … the OC position at Maryland and the DC position at Syracuse?

Just curious.

DocBarrister ;)
Think you'd be surprised at the pkg available in RI
jerseyjames

Post by jerseyjames »

Just curious.

DocBarrister ;)

I obviously don't have facts and figures but I definitely feel like Providence will invest, with those facilities how can they not. Plus you can't put a price on quality of life and making the Miss's happy and the fact is lots of coaches want to find their way back to the island especially to run a program.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

jerseyjames wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:42 pm

Just curious.

DocBarrister ;)

I obviously don't have facts and figures but I definitely feel like Providence will invest, with those facilities how can they not. Plus you can't put a price on quality of life and making the Miss's happy and the fact is lots of coaches want to find their way back to the island especially to run a program.
the island = Rhode Island? Never heard that one before. Buffett wants to back to the island in Tin Cup Chalice but he wasn’t talking about Providence.
old salt

Post by old salt »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:31 pm
I could see Phipps at Georgetown being a candidate for Providence. It’s unbelievable where that program is right now since he came on board in 2018 I believe. Obviously knows the conference.

That’s if they go the assistant route - not sure if they will, or should.
Any team that can grab Mike Phipps should do so. He did great things in his 3 years at Navy before Georgetown lured him away.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

old salt wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:36 am
FlyEaglesFly wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:31 pm
I could see Phipps at Georgetown being a candidate for Providence. It’s unbelievable where that program is right now since he came on board in 2018 I believe. Obviously knows the conference.

That’s if they go the assistant route - not sure if they will, or should.
Any team that can grab Mike Phipps should do so. He did great things in his 3 years at Navy before Georgetown lured him away.
Absolutely! And, like I said above, he probably knows Big East Lacrosse better than most coaches out there. The two current open positions are at Big East programs.

PS-That Providence stadium is definitely one of the best in the game!
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Agree with a lot of the names listed. Is be shocked if Petro landed at St. John’s.

Couple of coaches with RI connections that could be a fit would be Sean Kirwin, Jon Thompson, Casey Brodersen, Jim Mitchell and John Galloway. I doubt that Galloway heads that way after the year they had.

Other lower profile guys that could be looked at, might be a little early though are Paul Richards, Travis Crane, and Justin Ward. But they may not be quite there yet.
backerzone

Post by backerzone »

I would think Galloway would give a hard look at Providence- Jax as a school is not very financially viable as an institution- little if any endowment. Providence would be a huge step up in my opinion.
jerseyjames

Post by jerseyjames »

pcowlax wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:08 am

Just curious.

DocBarrister ;)

the island = Rhode Island? Never heard that one before. Buffett wants to back to the island in Tin Cup Chalice but he wasn’t talking about Providence.
Long Island as in the St Johns job, live on the island, commute to Queens
jerseyjames

Post by jerseyjames »

InsiderRoll wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:46 am
Agree with a lot of the names listed. Is be shocked if Petro landed at St. John’s.

Couple of coaches with RI connections that could be a fit would be Sean Kirwin, Jon Thompson, Casey Brodersen, Jim Mitchell and John Galloway. I doubt that Galloway heads that way after the year they had.

Other lower profile guys that could be looked at, might be a little early though are Paul Richards, Travis Crane, and Justin Ward. But they may not be quite there yet.
I think Jim Mitchell is very deserving of a job on the level of Providence but if you know the story on how he landed at Princeton I don't think Providence will be offering him anything again...
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

Providence...

What about either John Svec or Brett Holm? Both are on staff down the road at Brown. Svec has HC experience. Holm was an assistant at providence a few years back.
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

Callahan could be interesting in the parallel to Rock Sowell leaving Dart after some success to try and build the St Johns program after it came back from a long hiatus as a D1 program.
Or.... Joe Conner, Associate HC for 4 years. Has helped Dartmouth start to turn corner.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jerseyjames wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:33 am
pcowlax wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:08 am

Just curious.

DocBarrister ;)

Long Island as in the St Johns job, live on the island, commute to Queens
Not worth it. Not nearly enough dough. $250k which is probably mad what even Petro could get out of a St. John’s, and that’s unlikely, to live in LI is enough to cover property taxes and have a Christmas buy not that much more. To go try to resurrect a program that didn’t exist 20yrs ago or so and never really had success other than 1-2yrs with McArdle and a transfer (Eric DeJohn from F&M in upstate who transferred from Cuse).

Petro isn’t going to St Johns. They’re getting a cheap assistant most likely.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”