Coaching Hot Seats

D1 Mens Lacrosse
10stone5

Re: Coaching Hot Seats

Post by 10stone5 »

St. Joe’s and Drexel are probably different because they are more
easily accessible by the very parochial SE PA crowd.

There is not anywhere near the invective there used to be on kids
staying local, so you’re getting more of the SE PA recruits.

Many still get away..

Then, there are the coaching staffs which convince kids to
attend those schools, Taylor Wray, Voelker, Tucker Durkin.

And also, St. Joe’s and Drexel have done very well, better than
many, attracting top Canadian talent.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 2:48 pm Is there a list of programs who have not made the ncaa tournament the last 4 years and current coaches with 4+years at their current schools w/losing records?
No, why don't you make one
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Per Chris Jastrzembski twitter
“ Being told Providence will not retain head coach Chris Gabrielli, per multiple sources. Team is meeting right now.

Will join St. John's as teams to have vacancies at head coach today alone.”
NYC_lax

Post by NYC_lax »

NYC_lax wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 2:41 pm
Henpecked wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:57 pm
socalref wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:05 pm Miller has resigned at St John's
Impossible place to recruit and coach IMO.
I have seen several comments about St John's being very difficult to recruit to and how it is a commuter school. I am familiar with the city and university and would have to disagree. The school is in a safe residential ares of Queens, and while it does have commuters from the city and Long Island, it houses around 3,000 students on campus in newly built dorms and thousands of additional students live in off campus housing around the school. The business school has gained a lot of recognition lately and was recently ranked 38th in Best Undergraduate Business Schools in 2022 by Poets&Quants. There is also a great alumni network in the city including Wall Street that are anxious to assist graduates in finding good jobs in the city. The campus gives students the best of both worlds, a residential green campus with restaurants and bars near campus and in Bayside, while also being a quick Uber or subway ride away from Manhattan.

I have been to the St Joe's and Drexel campus's in Philly and St John's is no different than these city schools. If a player is looking to live in the city with all it has to offer and possibly work there after graduation St John's should be a school to consider.
10stone5 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 2:51 pm St. Joe’s and Drexel are probably different because they are more

Many still get away..

So it sounds like you are saying Taylor Wray, Voelker, Tucker Durkin have done a good job in marketing the school to recruits. I think the right person can do the same at St John's.
molo

Post by molo »

Isn’t St. John’s the biggest Catholic university in the country? Alumni network must be strong.
jersey shore lax

Post by jersey shore lax »

While I think St John's is a hard place to sell to recruits, I think the hardest place to sell in all of D1 is Drexel, school is unappealing and stadium is off campus in a not very desirable neighborhood. .
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

NYC_lax wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:11 pm
NYC_lax wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 2:41 pm
Henpecked wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:57 pm
socalref wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:05 pm Miller has resigned at St John's
Impossible place to recruit and coach IMO.
I have seen several comments about St John's being very difficult to recruit to and how it is a commuter school. I am familiar with the city and university and would have to disagree. The school is in a safe residential ares of Queens, and while it does have commuters from the city and Long Island, it houses around 3,000 students on campus in newly built dorms and thousands of additional students live in off campus housing around the school. The business school has gained a lot of recognition lately and was recently ranked 38th in Best Undergraduate Business Schools in 2022 by Poets&Quants. There is also a great alumni network in the city including Wall Street that are anxious to assist graduates in finding good jobs in the city. The campus gives students the best of both worlds, a residential green campus with restaurants and bars near campus and in Bayside, while also being a quick Uber or subway ride away from Manhattan.

I have been to the St Joe's and Drexel campus's in Philly and St John's is no different than these city schools. If a player is looking to live in the city with all it has to offer and possibly work there after graduation St John's should be a school to consider.
10stone5 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 2:51 pm St. Joe’s and Drexel are probably different because they are more

Many still get away..

So it sounds like you are saying Taylor Wray, Voelker, Tucker Durkin have done a good job in marketing the school to recruits. I think the right person can do the same at St John's.
I’m just pointing out what they’ve done at St Joe’s and Drexel
the past 15 years or so, to get to where those schools are
competitive in lacrosse.
Both schools went through long stretches where they were just
beat senseless. And I’ve gotten fairly good intel on what Drexel
spends per year on lacrosse, its not a small amount at all, and
also, lacrosse at Drexel is option 2 or 3 in terms of athletic
importance.
a fan

Post by a fan »

LongIslandLacks wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:04 pm I can only ask that you carefully read what I post and resist going bonkers with wild hyperbole and obtuse extrapolations.
And I ask that you don't contradict yourself, making it difficult to understand your points. Fair?
LongIslandLacks wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:04 pm Recruiting is not a discriminator among coaches for a place like Michigan, in my opinion. Whoever coaches there will get really strong players coming out of high school. Paul had classes “ranked” in the top ten from time to time. Conry inherited those players and recruited other highly ranked players. Some end up flaming out—like at other schools. The bottom line is that the coach owns the results.
Agree. But Michigan has been unable to land a single elite recruit. And to be clear, I don't mean what IL thinks is an elite recruit when they are in High School..I mean an actual, real life, elite D1 player. Until they start pulling them down, no amount of coaching will get Michigan out of the BigTen bottom half, so long as the rest of the teams keep pulling down the Aments, Wisnauskas, and Myers level players.

Michigan isn't getting those players yet. If and when they do, ANY D1 caliber coach, including Conry, will get them more BigTen w's. This is a simple game. Maryland isn't blowing teams out because of coaching. They're blowing teams out because they have the best players at pretty much every position on the field, no matter who they play. Give Conry that roster, and he's heading to the Final Four....same goes for every D1 coach.
LongIslandLacks wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:04 pm And I am not talking about whether the coach develops an AA. I am talking about finishing higher than LAST PLACE in conference since the conference existed. And at a place with the best facilities in the conference. (Caveat for OSU because I understand they are getting new facilities and do not know if they will surpass Michigan’s).
Clearly elite recruits care about things other than facilities.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

The question is, does Drexel have a good amount of on-campus housing? Because St. John’s’ biggest issue is not having much, if any of it. That makes for a lousy on-campus atmosphere, which, naturally, really hurts recruiting.
NYC_lax

Post by NYC_lax »

gymman1031 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:34 pm The question is, does Drexel have a good amount of on-campus housing? Because St. John’s’ biggest issue is not having much, if any of it. That makes for a lousy on-campus atmosphere, which, naturally, really hurts recruiting.
St John's has 3,000 students living in housing on campus which is more than some schools enrollment, and it is my understanding all athletes live on campus their freshman year.
LacrosseFan33

Post by LacrosseFan33 »

Hot Seat
Chris Gabrielli - Providence
Travis Johnson - NJIT
Jason Miller - St Johns

Warming Up
Tambroni - Penn State
JJ Reppert - Holy Cross
Mason Poli - Quinnipiac
Jon Basti - Sacred Heart
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Tambroni isn’t warming up.
laxpert

Post by laxpert »

Outside of the current assistants who are the candidates to fill these vacancies?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

laxpert wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:14 pm Outside of the current assistants who are the candidates to fill these vacancies?
Could see a stronger MAAC or Asun coach taking a run at Prov. I think Dt Johns goes the assistant route.

Wilkinson @ Marist
Would Myers at Laf make a move to Prov if offered the opportunity?
Callahan might decide he can only go so far at Dartmouth

Not sure who else.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

laxpert wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:14 pm Outside of the current assistants who are the candidates to fill these vacancies?
I could see Phipps at Georgetown being a candidate for Providence. It’s unbelievable where that program is right now since he came on board in 2018 I believe. Obviously knows the conference.

That’s if they go the assistant route - not sure if they will, or should.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Providence will give a call to all the top assistants. Phipps, Wellner, Benson, Kirwan, etc. Might go after a sitting head coach like Galloway or Feifs but not sure this job is much of a step up for them.

St. John's will probably be narrower. Could see them going after some of the same guys Stony Brook did. Unterstein, Matt Danowski, etc. I wouldn't count Petro out, he's a Long Island guy and has connections to the university. It's not the Big Time job he might be hoping for but unless there's a surprise opening at Michigan I can't see anything a whole lot better that makes sense for him opening up soon.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Good call with Petro possibly to St. John’s. He might be the guy who can make them competitive. It may well take a coach like that.
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:23 pm
Could see a stronger MAAC or Asun coach taking a run at Prov. I think Dt Johns goes the assistant route.

Wilkinson @ Marist

Not sure who else.
Wilks wife is the women's lacrosse coach at Marist, can't see Providence as enough of a draw to up and leave
redfoxalum

Post by redfoxalum »

Both northeast schools in the same conference, but doubt there is any overlap in candidates. Both gave their previous coach ample time, which should pay dividends in their searches. In addition to the top assistants, Providence might want to see if Polley is amenable to moving. If not a retread, St. John’s could follow Jacksonville in hiring a young energetic assistant, especially one with ties to the area; Crawley at Lehigh, Chanenchuk at Stony Brook etc.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:23 pm

Wilkinson @ Marist

Not sure who else.
Myers might. However, while it isn’t showing yet, I think he is on the verge of something decent at Lafayette. The Leopards showed some improvement in 2022, and they were very young. Next year, they will be more experienced. Myers has done some good recruiting.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”