Bracketology - Always a sign The Tournament is near

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Seacoaster(1)

Re: Bracketology - Always a sign The Tournament is near

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

I actually can't believe there is any talk at all about Michigan making this tournament.

Dear God, please don't let the committee seed Duke. Thanks from agnostic -- but still hopeful for a sign -- Seacoaster(1).
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:22 pm
I actually can't believe there is any talk at all about Michigan making this tournament.

Dear God, please don't let the committee seed Duke. Thanks from agnostic -- but still hopeful for a sign -- Seacoaster(1).
I echo your prayer....
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:29 pm

I echo your prayer....
How is Florida is seeded ahead of Stony Brook and Loyola when they lost to both? Especially now that their Syracuse victory holds a little less weight. IMO Florida is firmly the 8 seed and only because Denver and Duke lost to unranked teams. No way Duke gets a seed after the ND loss.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:10 pm

I echo your prayer....
How is Florida is seeded ahead of Stony Brook and Loyola when they lost to both? Especially now that their Syracuse victory holds a little less weight. IMO Florida is firmly the 8 seed and only because Denver and Duke lost to unranked teams. No way Duke gets a seed after the ND loss.
It’s going to be a very interesting Selection Show Sunday night.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

I echo your prayer....
I had started a post that said just that, but felt I'd be that dad
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:51 pm

I echo your prayer....

You can always be "that Dad" when the facts support you.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

LarryGamLax wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:57 pm

I echo your prayer....

Absolutely. Be that Dad, Doc.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:07 pm

I echo your prayer....

Emphatically agree with Larry & Seacoaster
crazyhorse

Post by crazyhorse »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:08 pm

I echo your prayer....

I will emphasize as well. I looked again at the numbers and I don't know how you justify it. FWIW, I had 6. SB 7. Loyola 8. Florida. RPIs are close enough that head to head losses should put them at 8. Period.
As for Michigan, I think they're comfortably in at this point as Big Ten rep #4. Taking USA Lax Mag as representative of the committee view for a second, which of their first 4 out would you put in ahead of Michigan? JHU, OSU, UMass, or Va Tech? To me, the only ones you can make a case for would be JHU or OSU. These three went 1-1 against each other, and Michigan can also point to wins over ND and ASU.
Trust me, I'm not a Meechigan fan by any stretch. I just think the bottom of the at-large pool is very pedestrian this year.
I will go out on a limb, possibly not a very long one, and say that all seeds will advance to the quarterfinals with the possible exception of Princeton sneaking in. If I were being generous, I might add JMU but that's it.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

crazyhorse wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:21 pm
I will go out on a limb, possibly not a very long one, and say that all seeds will advance to the quarterfinals with the possible exception of Princeton sneaking in. If I were being generous, I might add JMU but that's it.
Whoever gets Duke in their bracket is at risk...im not a duke fan, but don't want to face them in the second round
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:08 pm

I echo your prayer....

:D
OuttaNowhereWregget

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:14 pm
Whoever gets Duke in their bracket is at risk...im not a duke fan, but don't want to face them in the second round
I think Duke is broken for ‘22. The wheels came off in grand fashion and I doubt they’ll fix much of anything in the tournament. Making the quarters isn’t a foregone conclusion.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:14 pm
Whoever gets Loyola 3rd round gonna be a tough game. Im thinking UNC-Loyola....
Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Is it common for a team like Michigan, who has a weaker RPI and finished lower in BIG10 standings (they didn’t qualify for BIG10 tournament),to leapfrog a JHU who finished fourth in the BIG10 has a better last six, and a better RPI to get into the NCAA’s? Or does Insider lacrosse just win over everyone?
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Dasher wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:30 pm Is it common for a team like Michigan, who has a weaker RPI and finished lower in BIG10 standings (they didn’t qualify for BIG10 tournament),to leapfrog a JHU who finished fourth in the BIG10 has a better last six, and a better RPI to get into the NCAA’s? Or does Insider lacrosse just win over everyone?
No it’s not common at all but I wasn’t going to be the one to say anything. Michigan only has one win since 3/20 and it was an OT win over PSU. No way they should get in over Hopkins.
OuttaNowhereWregget

hmmm wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:59 pm
Dasher wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:30 pm Is it common for a team like Michigan, who has a weaker RPI and finished lower in BIG10 standings (they didn’t qualify for BIG10 tournament),to leapfrog a JHU who finished fourth in the BIG10 has a better last six, and a better RPI to get into the NCAA’s? Or does Insider lacrosse just win over everyone?
No it’s not common at all but I wasn’t going to be the one to say anything. Michigan only has one win since 3/20 and it was an OT win over PSU. No way they should get in over Hopkins.
crazyhorse makes the convincing, common sense case here. Looking at the whole body of Michigan's work this season, it's obvious they have the better resume. They also have better wins than JHU. Much better. It doesn't matter how they finished, which I agree has been dismal. But if the committee is being fair, Michigan gets in over JHU and OSU.
crazyhorse wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:21 pm As for Michigan, I think they're comfortably in at this point as Big Ten rep #4. Taking USA Lax Mag as representative of the committee view for a second, which of their first 4 out would you put in ahead of Michigan? JHU, OSU, UMass, or Va Tech? To me, the only ones you can make a case for would be JHU or OSU. These three went 1-1 against each other, and Michigan can also point to wins over ND and ASU.
Trust me, I'm not a Meechigan fan by any stretch. I just think the bottom of the at-large pool is very pedestrian this year.
Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Taking a “common sense” view like you say would then make you say Michigan is a better team than ND since they beat them head to head. ND has caused a lot of turmoil for the committee this year. They were awful to start the year and had to schedule a Tuesday game with Detroit Mercy just to qualify with an over .500 record. The last six matter for them. Why not for Michigan? Their last win was well over a month ago against the last place BIG10 finisher Penn State in OT.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Dasher wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:06 am Taking a “common sense” view like you say would then make you say Michigan is a better team than ND since they beat them head to head. ND has caused a lot of turmoil for the committee this year. They were awful to start the year and had to schedule a Tuesday game with Detroit Mercy just to qualify with an over .500 record. The last six matter for them. Why not for Michigan? Their last win was well over a month ago against the last place BIG10 finisher Penn State in OT.
That rationale doesn’t translate because you’re not factoring in Notre Dame‘s big wins.

Plus this isn’t a discussion about Michigan over Notre Dame – it’s Michigan in over OSU and JHU.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

Sure, it defies logic for anyone to give Michigan an AQ over Hopkins or OSU, but the committee loves to defy logic. Michigan finished the season 1-5 and that included a loss @ home to OSU.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
mdlaxfan

Post by mdlaxfan »

@inthe8m wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:20 am
Sure, it defies logic for anyone to give Michigan an AQ over Hopkins or OSU, but the committee loves to defy logic. Michigan finished the season 1-5 and that included a loss @ home to OSU.
They are riding on their win against Notre Dame on 2/13 and AZ State on 2/18. Interestingly, both of those teams have weaker RPIs than Hopkins. The committee is also supposed to factor in the recent performance, but i think the early wins will get Michigan in over Hopkins and OSU.

I also wouldn't say that Michigan's wins were "much better" than Hopkins' wins. They beat Notre Dame back when Notre Dame was losing to Vanderbilt, while Hopkins beat a surging OSU team that also gave Rutgers fits last week.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”