SCOTUS

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
cradleandshoot

Re: SCOTUS

Post by cradleandshoot »

njbill wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:55 am All of the speculation about who leaked the draft and why is interesting, but none of that changes the unassailable fact that Alito got five votes at the conference to overturn Roe.

Roberts did not agree to overturn Roe. Had he, he would have kept such an important decision to himself because he knew he would write a “moderate” opinion, certainly one more temperate than Alito’s scorched earth draft.

Interesting to me that Thomas assigned the decision to Alito who, I would guess, begged for it.

Alito is fully prepared to moderate his opinion. He threw out his repugnant draft to see what would stick. If any of the other four even hints at defecting, he’ll soften his language.

I don’t hold out any real hope that Kav or Gorsuch or Amy B will flip. First of all, they knew full well what was at stake when they voted in conference. They certainly know of the seismic importance of the case, both legally and in society. Leaking the opinion is not going to get anyone to change their mind. Is there any way to get anyone in this country to change their mind about Roe? No.

And lastly, before any of those three were nominated, they met in private with the Anti-Women Nazis and assured them that, yes, they would vote to overturn Roe, though they told the Nazis that they would have to deny that in meetings with gullible Senators like Susan Collins and in testimony before the Judiciary Committee. Keep an “open mind” about the issue, my ass.

I don’t know if I will live long enough to see this abomination of conservative judicial activism overturned. But it will be. If not in 10 or 20 or 50 years, it will happen eventually. This decision ranks up there (or down there) with Dred Scott and Plessy v. Ferguson. It is the worst Supreme Court decision in my lifetime. Even worse than Heller, which itself will be overturned in time.
Good to have you back NJ. I have missed your wisdom and the scoldings you have me when I needed them.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

njbill wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:55 am All of the speculation about who leaked the draft and why is interesting, but none of that changes the unassailable fact that Alito got five votes at the conference to overturn Roe.

Roberts did not agree to overturn Roe. Had he, he would have kept such an important decision to himself because he knew he would write a “moderate” opinion, certainly one more temperate than Alito’s scorched earth draft.

Interesting to me that Thomas assigned the decision to Alito who, I would guess, begged for it.

Alito is fully prepared to moderate his opinion. He threw out his repugnant draft to see what would stick. If any of the other four even hints at defecting, he’ll soften his language.

I don’t hold out any real hope that Kav or Gorsuch or Amy B will flip. First of all, they knew full well what was at stake when they voted in conference. They certainly know of the seismic importance of the case, both legally and in society. Leaking the opinion is not going to get anyone to change their mind. Is there any way to get anyone in this country to change their mind about Roe? No.

And lastly, before any of those three were nominated, they met in private with the Anti-Women Nazis and assured them that, yes, they would vote to overturn Roe, though they told the Nazis that they would have to deny that in meetings with gullible Senators like Susan Collins and in testimony before the Judiciary Committee. Keep an “open mind” about the issue, my ass.

I don’t know if I will live long enough to see this abomination of conservative judicial activism overturned. But it will be. If not in 10 or 20 or 50 years, it will happen eventually. This decision ranks up there (or down there) with Dred Scott and Plessy v. Ferguson. It is the worst Supreme Court decision in my lifetime. Even worse than Heller, which itself will be overturned in time.
Great post. +100
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

a fan wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:58 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:22 pm
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:36 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 12:34 pm
CU88 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:45 am Sen Susan Collins: “If this leaked draft opinion is the final decision and this reporting is accurate, it would be completely inconsistent with what Justice Gorsuch and Justice Kavanaugh said in their hearings and in our meetings in my office..”

Sucker born every minute...

Hence why deliberations by the SCOTUS justices should never be leaked before they are announced to the public.
Ironic because a decision like that would limit our right to privacy.
No irony, just good old fashioned common sense and respect for the SCOTUS. That is now another ship that has sailed full steam ahead towards the iceberg. Thank you all you FLP for moving the goalposts towards scumbaggery.
We don't know who leaked it......what happens if it's a R Judge/clerk?

Confident they'll figure it out. I agree that this leak is NOT good for the country.
I know the leaker will be identified in short order. This individual will become a sacrificial lamb. Whatever integrity this person had will quickly be shot to hell. I doubt that this is a criminal offense. The damage done to the folks who work and struggle to support the SCOTUS is beyond repair. Whoever the leaker was I wonder if it was worth the irreparable damage done to the credibility of the institution you served??? Good Job... jerk.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:15 am

Great post. +100
So the leak does not bother you???? If it serves your purpose then all is good. You are willing to sacrifice the credibility of the SCOTUS to achieve a desired goal. Good Job!!!! :roll:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

ggait wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:48 pm Most of the discussion of "if" abortion should be legal or banned is quite misleading. Basically, extremists and partisans on both sides yelling and not listening. Pointless and irrelevant.

The relevant discussion is "when" should abortion be legal. And on that question, overwhelming majorities pretty much agree. And have for a very long time. In the real world, abortion is way less controversial than you'd think for most regular people.

The law and public opinion in the US and our western democratic peers is surprisingly similar. Abortion upon request/demand is basically legal and public opinion supported everywhere from 0-12 weeks. And not legal/supported (subject to some valid exceptions) from 25-36 weeks. So pretty much the only issue are the rules between 13-24 weeks.

Canada and the UK draw the elective abortion line at 24 weeks. France, Germany, Italy are 12-14 weeks no questions asked, and then somewhat available (depending on circumstances and procedures) during the second trimester. RvW draws it at 23 weeks, although the realistic effective limit is less than that due to years of chipping away under the Casey case.

While that line draw is important, it matters a lot less than you'd think. Since here in the USA, 92% of abortions are 13 weeks or less, with another 3% 14-15 weeks.

So keeping RvW but dialing it back a bit (as CJ Roberts wants to do) is extremely reasonable policy. And it would be very good for the country. Since it would keep the righties from going completely bat shirt Gilead (cough Texas cough cough) on their female populations.

Law professors can debate whether that is really Roberts' job or not. But that outcome makes a lot of sense.
+1 great post ggait. I salute your wisdom...
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Yes, the leak is not the scandal. What was revealed is.
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

dislaxxic wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:53 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:22 pmThank you all you FLP for moving the goalposts towards scumbaggery.
How do you FRC sleep at night with this laying squarely at the feet of Moscow Mitch? Mitch's middle name is Turkey Wad...err...Garland Scumbaggus Maximus. Well, ol' Moscow might get a nick or two from catching this Culture War bus...we shall see.

Rumor in my blue state is that the state law here will be amended to hold the deadbeat father of the fetus to full legal and financial accountability relative to any woman from an abortion-illegal state that must travel to this state for a lawful procedure.

FYI dumbass, NYS guaranteed the right a women being allowed the right to an abortion several years ago. That is what this entire discussion is all about. You would know and understand this fact IF you were paying attention to the discussion.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

CU88 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:59 am

The leak is the story. A DRAFT opinion isn’t something the author wants passed around to anyone other than fellow justices.

No one expects any different from Democrats, so your thoughts on the leak are fully expected.
Last edited by Peter Brown on Wed May 04, 2022 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Go tell that to the leaker... Who when identified will be standing in the unemployment line. The sacrificial lamb... What scandal are you talking about anyway??? Nobody should know what the SCOTUS was debating.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:12 am

The leak is the story. A DRAFT opinion isn’t something the author wants passed around to anyone other than fellow justices.

No one expects any different from Democrats, so your opinion is fully expected.
+1 Pete.. +1. The leak is the story. The DummyCrats have just tossed up their hail Mary.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:53 am

Great post. +100
So the leak does not bother you???? If it serves your purpose then all is good. You are willing to sacrifice the credibility of the SCOTUS to achieve a desired goal. Good Job!!!! :roll:
Respectfully, I just have to say: you should read posts with care before you shoot off a pre-destined little mouth rocket like this. Nowhere did I or NJBill say that the leak was unimportant. Speaking for myself, the importance of the leak pales in comparison to the draft opinion, which would/will dismantle 50 years of relatively steady, predictable law, which allowed a woman to terminate a pregnancy under limited circumstances and which allowed the states to modestly regulate around the edges of that erstwhile "constitutional" right.

So there is a leak at the Supreme Court. Hmmm. Compared to the deliberate, knowing decision to place a woman's "right" to control the most intimate and basic decisions about the rest of her life in the hands of legislatures like Mississippi and Oklahoma and Tennessee? Compared to the patchwork quilt of differing laws across the states, rather than uniformity and predictability in the law? Compared to the fact that the effects of the decision will be felt among the poorest, most voiceless and most vulnerable of the population? C'mon. Be serious.

I note that the Idiot has yet to cite any source to back with facts the notion that "Sotomajor's leftist clerk" leaked the draft. But you got right on that bandwagon; pretty telling.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Deep SCOTUS analysis by Dumb and Dumberer...always entertaining.

There is potentially a large platter of Crow waiting in the dining room for someone in "the story" of this leak, yeah?

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

dislaxxic wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:28 am Deep SCOTUS analysis by Dumb and Dumberer...always entertaining.

There is potentially a large platter of Crow waiting in the dining room for someone in "the story" of this leak, yeah?

Maybe it was a woman -- 28 years old, out of college -- working in the Court's in-house printing office? She read the draft and got pissed off.

Maybe it was a Roberts clerk, thinking -- like Henry II's apostles -- that they could help the boss by putting pressure on Kavanaugh to moderate the hellfire and female control messaging of the culture warriors Thomas, Alito, Barrett and Gorsuch?

Maybe it was an Alito clerk, animated by his boss's worry that Roberts's politicking might "sober" Kavanaugh?

No facts yet, just theories.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2022/05 ... -wade.html
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

dislaxxic wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:28 am Deep SCOTUS analysis by Dumb and Dumberer...always entertaining.

Yeah, sometimes it pays to not overthink a caper. Most often, it’s just a spur of the moment, emotional, desperate fix.

In this regard, if it makes you feel better about your squad, you can of course overthink and overcredit someone not working in Sotomajor’s employ. That will temporarily help you avoid facing the cold reality that your squad is in fact not the ‘party of norms’, but rather a radical arm of the far left progressive movement, quite willing to enable abortion to the very day of delivery. That’s a truly radical position, far worse than any European country.

But sure, if you want to put your head in the sand, please do. No crow will ever be served here. Everyone in the know already has pointed the finger at the far likeliest suspect; hint: he’s not exactly conservative. :lol: :lol:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

CU88 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:45 am Sen Susan Collins: “If this leaked draft opinion is the final decision and this reporting is accurate, it would be completely inconsistent with what Justice Gorsuch and Justice Kavanaugh said in their hearings and in our meetings in my office..”

Hence why deliberations by the SCOTUS justices should never be leaked before they are announced to the public.
No irony, just good old fashioned common sense and respect for the SCOTUS. That is now another ship that has sailed full steam ahead towards the iceberg. Thank you all you FLP for moving the goalposts towards scumbaggery.

Confident they'll figure it out. I agree that this leak is NOT good for the country.
+1
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

dislaxxic wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:53 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:22 pmThank you all you FLP for moving the goalposts towards scumbaggery.
How do you FRC sleep at night with this laying squarely at the feet of Moscow Mitch? Mitch's middle name is Turkey Wad...err...Garland Scumbaggus Maximus. Well, ol' Moscow might get a nick or two from catching this Culture War bus...we shall see.

Rumor in my blue state is that the state law here will be amended to hold the deadbeat father of the fetus to full legal and financial accountability relative to any woman from an abortion-illegal state that must travel to this state for a lawful procedure.

... sweet!
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:26 am

Great post. +100
Respectfully, I just have to say: you should read posts with care before you shoot off a pre-destined little mouth rocket like this. Nowhere did I or NJBill say that the leak was unimportant. Speaking for myself, the importance of the leak pales in comparison to the draft opinion, which would/will dismantle 50 years of relatively steady, predictable law, which allowed a woman to terminate a pregnancy under limited circumstances and which allowed the states to modestly regulate around the edges of that erstwhile "constitutional" right.

So there is a leak at the Supreme Court. Hmmm. Compared to the deliberate, knowing decision to place a woman's "right" to control the most intimate and basic decisions about the rest of her life in the hands of legislatures like Mississippi and Oklahoma and Tennessee? Compared to the patchwork quilt of differing laws across the states, rather than uniformity and predictability in the law? Compared to the fact that the effects of the decision will be felt among the poorest, most voiceless and most vulnerable of the population? C'mon. Be serious.

I note that the Idiot has yet to cite any source to back with facts the notion that "Sotomajor's leftist clerk" leaked the draft. But you got right on that bandwagon; pretty telling.

Anyone cheering on the premeditated leaking of a draft legal opinion by judges or justices in closed deliberations in the hopes of bringing political and mob/street pressure to bear on such deliberations, compromising their independence and institutional integrity, is repulsive.

That the leak of the draft opinion has not been universally condemned is a bigger outrage than whatever your views are about what’s in the opinion. It shows that our separation of powers, co-equal branch, federalist system has broken down. Media is especially irresponsible here.

BR
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

youthathletics wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:53 pm Seems Joe is getting what he wanted back in 81'? https://www.instagram.com/p/CdGzV39OupU ... _copy_link
... he was then and is now a practicing Catholic. -- yawn
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:26 am

Great post. +100

My reading comprehension is pretty god damn good Mr Coaster. If your expectations are I need to dig deep down into the weeds of every bullchit response on our forum.. I do have a life and I'm not that interested in the same things that fascinate you. I do agree that I don't know what the hell PB was referring to. I do know that the leaker will be identified. That individual will have forfeited any credibility they may have ever had... I hope it is worth it. You can't ever regain your integrity once you have compromised what you have worked your entire life to establish.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... rumor has it that some left wing press outlets know who it is.

I totally disagree that the leak is important, at the end of the day it don't mean sh*t to a tree. SCOTUS reputation is already in the toilet and nothing is going to bring it back with the 5 chuckleheads on the court. Time to take it to the streets and let fly the dogs of war! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “POLITICS”