Tiers in addition to Polls

D1 Womens Lacrosse
LarryGamLax

Re: Tiers in addition to Polls

Post by LarryGamLax »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:32 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:13 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:28 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 1:14 pm Tier 1 - Carolina, Boston College, Maryland

Tier 2 - Stony Brook, Florida, Denver, JMU, Loyola, Northwestern

Tier 3 - Syracuse, Stanford, USC, Jacksonville, Arizona St, Princeton, Notre Dame, Virginia, Rutgers

Tier 4 - The rest
If I was doing this, it would look like this:

Tier 1: UNC, BC

Tier 2: Maryland

Tier 3: Northwestern, Syracuse, SBU, Loyola, Florida

Tier 4: Denver, JMU

Tier 5: Princeton, Notre Dame

Tier 6: other teams that play lacrosse.

I think Maryland is genuinely a step below the two ACC powers, and a step above the Tier 3 teams listed. I suppose some of your downgrading of Syracuse is the recent body of work and injuries; I get that and it's hard to disagree, but I'm an egregious homer, so I put Syracuse with two teams to which it lost (Gainesville State and NU) and two that it beat (SBU and Loyola).

Interesting groupings. Let me opine here : Your Tier 1 is solid. On Tier 2, I would add Stony Brook and Loyola. Why? Both have good enough Goalie play(SBU uses two, Loyola one) and good coaching with Spallina being in the top 5 in the SPORT! On Tier 3, I move up JMU who has been playing well lately. I drop Syracuse to Tier 4 due to the injuries and Goalie situation.
Yeah, that seems reasonable to me. But: I said I was a terrible homer for Syracuse. So “no!!”
I know you're a huge Syracuse fan, but you're also honest. If you have two goalies of the same level of ineffectiveness, then you don't have one solid one. The chances of you winning without one are not good at all.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

njbill wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:42 pm Joe, wasn't the New Canaan v. Northport game part of the Gains for Brains? Do you know why they split the event this year into two days and two sites? From the schedule it almost looked like they didn't use that second field at Cold Spring. And no NJ teams this year. :(

It's a great event which I have been able to make four times. Really wish the Jersey teams would return.

Some great HS games at the G for B. In 2017, in a game between future Tar Heel teammates, Ally Mastroianni lead her Bridgewater-Raritan team to a strong win over Jamie Ortega's Middle Country. I came away from that game thinking Ortega wasn't anything special. :oops:

Then in 2019 Kasey Choma lead her Eastport South Manor team over Darien which had one, maybe two, of the older Humphrey sisters. (The youngest one (Chloe) is the real deal.) Choma scored the gamewinner in classic Choma fashion with a falling down, falling away shot at the buzzer (at least as I recall). Belle Smith was in the audience watching her U19 teammate.

Then in the next game Jenny Markey and Emma Tyrrell and their Mt. Sinai teammates took apart my Quakers. Ugh.
Yes it was, I know they wanted to expand the event, so that's why they added the second day at Mount Sinai. Confused as to the lack of NJ teams, would have thought that Ridgewood would be a lock for it. Seems that the addition of the two private schools from CT, Sacred Heart Greenwich and Greenwich Academy came at the expense of Moorestown (looks like a down year at 9-5 so far, you probably have more color than me there) and Ridgewood, who looks the strongest in NJ so far this year. Nonetheless a great event! What I cannot figure out is how Manhasset has never taken part in it. They are a logical participant. This year they are only playing 12 games as opposed to their usually 15, not sure why.

Joe
njbill

Post by njbill »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:48 pm
Yes it was, I know they wanted to expand the event, so that's why they added the second day at Mount Sinai. Confused as to the lack of NJ teams, would have thought that Ridgewood would be a lock for it. Seems that the addition of the two private schools from CT, Sacred Heart Greenwich and Greenwich Academy came at the expense of Moorestown (looks like a down year at 9-5 so far, you probably have more color than me there) and Ridgewood, who looks the strongest in NJ so far this year. Nonetheless a great event! What I cannot figure out is how Manhasset has never taken part in it. They are a logical participant. This year they are only playing 12 games as opposed to their usually 15, not sure why.

Joe
I saw an interview with Raff that seemed to suggest they were late in getting the planning for the event going this year. Seemed to be a hint that the delay might have been due to the fact that there was a possibility they might not continue it after missing the last two years.

Seems to me they had the same number of games as in the past, but split it over two days and two schools. Maybe the second field at CSH was already booked for the date.

Raff said there was some snafu with Ridgewood perhaps caused by the coaching change. The old coach left in January and I suspect they had to scramble to get someone and perhaps the GfB fell between the cracks. IIFC, a similar thing happened with Ridgewood when they changed coaches after the 2018 season (paperwork for 2019 GfB got screwed up).

Raff said he did speak with the Summit coach but they already had an OOS game scheduled for that date. I'll have to ask the Moorestown coach what happened with the Quakers.

Right now I would say Summit is the no. 1 team in NJ with Ridgewood no. 2. Those teams play next week.

Yeah, Moorestown is down this year, in part due to injuries (two ACLs plus some others).

I've also wondered why Manhasset hasn't attended the GfB. The usual format is that Island teams don't play one another so they wouldn't be facing a rival. It's Island v. Jersey, Island v. Conn., or Island v. Section 1. Weird because they were a multi-year participant in the OneLove event, even after NDP dropped out, so the Indians obviously contribute to good causes.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

njbill wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:47 pm Seemed to be a hint that the delay might have been due to the fact that there was a possibility they might not continue it after missing the last two years.
That was a contributing factor (among several other larger ones) for the discontinuation of the Katie Samson Festival. Those types of events are great and I’m glad Gains for Brains has been able to continue.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Yeah, that and Pete's death which also was a big factor.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

njbill wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:00 pm Yeah, that and Pete's death which also was a big factor.
Yes, that’s what I was alluding to in the parentheses. Really sad, but it had a great run. Those types of play days are great for the youth programs as well.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:09 pm
njbill wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:00 pm Yeah, that and Pete's death which also was a big factor.
Yes, that’s what I was alluding to in the parentheses. Really sad, but it had a great run. Those types of play days are great for the youth programs as well.
Both of my kids have very fond memories of playing at Katie Samson. Times change, but sad to see it go.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Justalaxdad wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:13 pm Tier 1: UNC - The best goalie on the best team, gonna be hard to top that

Tier 2: BC - could be a tier 1 after this weekend - they don't have to win to jump to tier 1, just don't get steam rolled
Maryland - Sterling could take them far
Loyola - There's something about this team

Tier 2A: SB - Rock Solid, just need to get over the hump, last year was a great tournament for them
NW - Good goaltending but something seems off for the LakeShow

Tier 3: Denver, JMU, Florida, Syracuse, Jax, Princeton, ND, UVA, Rutgers

Tier 4: Everyone else
Interesting tiers, here. I especially like the addition of 2A. On tier 1, I'm not sure NC is the best team after watching BC last game. The Eagles defense is very impressive and their offense seems to be hitting stride at just the right time. The goaltender is a good point. Moreno looks very confident in net and makes a lot of saves seem easy and routine. Big (temporary) watermark coming Saturday night for both teams. Still not sold on Loyola. Until they show fire and determination for an entire game in the postseason against a formidable opponent, they're just another Florida or Stony Brook. Great talent but just missing something when it comes to taking the next step. For the LakeShow--I think it's the coaching philosophy. What worked back when the Cats were reigning just somehow doesn't work in this new era. Missing Scane is a major factor but they couldn't get over even with her in the lineup scoring 98 goals in 16 games last year.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

njbill wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:47 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:48 pm

Joe
I saw an interview with Raff that seemed to suggest they were late in getting the planning for the event going this year. Seemed to be a hint that the delay might have been due to the fact that there was a possibility they might not continue it after missing the last two years.

Seems to me they had the same number of games as in the past, but split it over two days and two schools. Maybe the second field at CSH was already booked for the date.

Raff said there was some snafu with Ridgewood perhaps caused by the coaching change. The old coach left in January and I suspect they had to scramble to get someone and perhaps the GfB fell between the cracks. IIFC, a similar thing happened with Ridgewood when they changed coaches after the 2018 season (paperwork for 2019 GfB got screwed up).

Raff said he did speak with the Summit coach but they already had an OOS game scheduled for that date. I'll have to ask the Moorestown coach what happened with the Quakers.

Right now I would say Summit is the no. 1 team in NJ with Ridgewood no. 2. Those teams play next week.

Yeah, Moorestown is down this year, in part due to injuries (two ACLs plus some others).

I've also wondered why Manhasset hasn't attended the GfB. The usual format is that Island teams don't play one another so they wouldn't be facing a rival. It's Island v. Jersey, Island v. Conn., or Island v. Section 1. Weird because they were a multi-year participant in the OneLove event, even after NDP dropped out, so the Indians obviously contribute to good causes.
njbill,

Thanks! Manhasset Vs Notre Dame Prep was a great rivalry. Hope it comes back. Best game was in 2012, a Manhasset win in OT! Back to College Lacrosse, sorry for the hijack guys!

Joe
njbill

Post by njbill »

Ain't done with the hijack yet. :lol:

Agree 100% about NDP and Manhasset. I wrote years ago that it was the best interregional rivalry in the game. They played each year whether one was up and the other was down, or vice versa. A real testament to the coaches who keep it going for years. And the trip to or from Balto to Manhasset is not for the faint of heart. :)

I think I know why you have fond memories of the 2012 game. ;)
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

njbill wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:36 pm Ain't done with the hijack yet. :lol:

Agree 100% about NDP and Manhasset. I wrote years ago that it was the best interregional rivalry in the game. They played each year whether one was up and the other was down, or vice versa. A real testament to the coaches who keep it going for years. And the trip to or from Balto to Manhasset is not for the faint of heart. :)

I think I know why you have fond memories of the 2012 game. ;)
100% agreed on everything, the only time I remember it not being a close game was 2009, that was a REAL strong NDP team, possibly their best ever.

:D :D

Joe
njbill

Post by njbill »

Not as good as that 2009 Farmingdale squad, no. 1 in the nation.

And the 2018 NDP team, the one that took down McDonogh in the best glax game ever, might disagree.

At the end of that game, NDP was up by one and trying to kill the clock. The McD girls had a nine year undefeated monkey on their backs and were desperately trying to get the ball back. What does NDP Coach Mac Ford do? Pulls his goalie, puts eight field players below his defensive restraining line, and plays keep away, 8 v. 7. One little miscue or one heroic steal, and McD has an open goal to shoot on to tie the game. But it worked. Coach Ford has much bigger ones than I do.

Edit: Oops. Got the final score in that game wrong. It was a two goal margin. Still, pretty ballsy to pull your goalie like that.
OuttaNowhereWregget

LarryGamLax wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:30 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 1:14 pm Tier 1 - Carolina, Boston College, Maryland

Tier 3 - Syracuse, Stanford, USC, Jacksonville, Arizona St, Princeton, Notre Dame, Virginia, Rutgers

Tier 4 - The rest

I think Maryland is genuinely a step below the two ACC powers, and a step above the Tier 3 teams listed. I suppose some of your downgrading of Syracuse is the recent body of work and injuries; I get that and it's hard to disagree, but I'm an egregious homer, so I put Syracuse with two teams to which it lost (Gainesville State and NU) and two that it beat (SBU and Loyola).

Interesting groupings. Let me opine here : Your Tier 1 is solid. On Tier 2, I would add Stony Brook and Loyola. Why? Both have good enough Goalie play(SBU uses two, Loyola one) and good coaching with Spallina being in the top 5 in the SPORT! On Tier 3, I move up JMU who has been playing well lately. I drop Syracuse to Tier 4 due to the injuries and Goalie situation.
Yeah, that seems reasonable to me. But: I said I was a terrible homer for Syracuse. So “no!!”
I know you're a huge Syracuse fan, but you're also honest. If you have two goalies of the same level of ineffectiveness, then you don't have one solid one. The chances of you winning without one are not good at all.
I remember back to last offseason in June when Matnum put the question to us on one of the Syracuse threads as to who the GK would be for the Orange in '22. Who knew it would end up being the handicapping Achilles Heel it has become.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:34 am
LarryGamLax wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:30 pm

Tier 4 - The rest

I remember back to last offseason in June when Matnum put the question to us on one of the Syracuse threads as to who the GK would be for the Orange in '22. Who knew it would end up being the handicapping Achilles Heel it has become.
Larry did.
OuttaNowhereWregget

watcherinthewoods wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:47 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:34 am I remember back to last offseason in June when Matnum put the question to us on one of the Syracuse threads as to who the GK would be for the Orange in '22. Who knew it would end up being the handicapping Achilles Heel it has become.
Larry did.
Back in June, Larry knew? When did the portal close? How could anyone have known definitively back in June who Syracuse would end up with as their goaltender?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:28 pm Gainesville State
It just dawned on me where I may have been inspired to come up with organic team nicknames. None other than our own Mr. Seacoaster. I remember years ago chuckling at some of his nicknames for Notre Dame like The Golden Domers and The Catholics, and there may have been others.

Gainesville State is a nice one. I asked a guy who works with me and hails from Florida and is a Florida sports fanatic if he ever heard anyone refer to the University of Florida as Gainesville State. He said no. Now I’ll admit, mine aren’t nearly as clever as Seacoaster’s, but they are organic—for better or worse.

So if you want to blame someone for my nicknames, you might take it up with him.

(Of course I’m kidding, but there is a small grain of truth in what I say.)

Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:56 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:28 pm Gainesville State
It just dawned on me where I may have been inspired to come up with organic team nicknames. None other than our own Mr. Seacoaster. I remember years ago chuckling at some of his nicknames for Notre Dame like The Golden Domers and The Catholics, and there may have been others.

Gainesville State is a nice one. I asked a guy who works with me and hails from Florida and is a Florida sports fanatic if he ever heard anyone refer to the University of Florida as Gainesville State. He said no. Now I’ll admit, mine aren’t nearly as clever as Seacoaster’s, but they are organic—for better or worse.

So if you want to blame someone for my nicknames, you might take it up with him.

(Of course I’m kidding, but there is a small grain of truth in what I say.)

Thanks; really appreciate the plug.

One difference might be this: if someone asked me not to call Florida Gainesville State or Notre Dame the Catholics or Domers, I'd agree.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:36 pm Thanks; really appreciate the plug.

One difference might be this: if someone asked me not to call Florida Gainesville State or Notre Dame the Catholics or Domers, I'd agree.
Obviously, the Sarcastica font was used for the former sentence.

As to the latter:

Well, Seacoaster my man – that’s what makes me, me and you, you.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 2:27 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:36 pm Thanks; really appreciate the plug.

As to the latter:

That's part of it, for sure.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 2:46 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 2:27 pm

As to the latter:

That's part of it, for sure.
After all – we’re talking about team nicknames here. Not a persons family name or religion—a nickname for a sports team playing a game.

(You’re good [not subtle, mind] with that Sarcastica font, too. 😉)

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”