Tiers in addition to Polls

D1 Womens Lacrosse
laxer12

Re: Tiers in addition to Polls

Post by laxer12 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:02 pm
laxer12 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:34 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:38 pm
laxer12 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:20 pm Finally *relaying your true colors for anyone and everyone that was under the false impression that you view things from an objective, fair point of view.
Are you always this prosecutorial?

Take a deep breath, laxer12. C'mon, together with me now--slow easy deep....and exhale. Feel better? Life's too short to get so worked up over a game. And especially to get worked up over me and my high-school-educated-blue-collar-scrub opinions.

*displaying 😉

Plus you missed the big one from the other day.

viewtopic.php?p=359864#p359864

I felt liberated after Seacoaster(1) divulged that he roots against NU or something along those lines. Rooting against certain teams is all part of sports. It's really no big deal. Been going on since Yale first played Harvard back in the early umpteen hundreds.
Haha nah, I'm perfectly fine and calm. I just couldn't resist the opportunity of calling you out where you plainly admit that most of what you post is based on personal feelings and not based on facts or evidence whatsoever.

And no, relaying works just fine in that sentence as well but nice try 😂

I get not liking Maryland because they've been so unbelievably successful and dominant for seemingly forever. Winning national title after national title and several seasons with just the 1 or 2 blemishes. Not to mention a good majority of their fans are extremely insufferable but that normally comes with the territory when a program has been as consistently successful as Maryland has. Everyone loves to root against the alpha who's already on top of the mountain.

But where did your disdain for Syracuse come from? I'm honestly curious.
"Relaying" denotes receiving then passing along, so no, it doesn't work in the way you used it. Relating works better.

"...plainly admit that most of what you post is based on personal feelings and not based on facts or evidence whatsoever." ??

After this brilliant (read: wresting [the archaic definition]) summation, why would I bother to engage with you further? I'm honestly curious.
Oh now your holiness won't engage with me? 🤣 That's priceless. You are a coward and a hypocrite of the highest degree. You can't defend any of the bull**** you say so you resort to petty, narcissistic, contrarian responses just like that. And no one enjoys your incessant use of unamusing memes -- just an fyi.

Didn't realize one had to use the very best word for every sentence on a sports forum site. No one ever relayed (Free Dictionary: the act of passing something along from one person, group, or station to another) that message for me.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Updated Tiers 4/24

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Kleizaster wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:35 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:13 pm Tier 1 - Carolina, Maryland

Tier 2 - Boston College, Stony Brook, Florida,

Tier 3 - Syracuse, Denver, JMU, Loyola, Northwestern

Tier 4 - UMass, Stanford, USC, Jacksonville, Arizona St, Duke, UConn, Princeton

Tier 5 - The rest
another troll post. Not long ago i can recall you made another post questioning if UNC even belonged in tier 1. But sure lets ignore all that for the sake of it and discuss this specific post. You putting maryland in tier 1 assumes that
A. They are better than UNC
B. They are equal to UNC.
is A true? no. lets move to B. are they equal to UNC? there isn't a single win on maryland's schedule better than UNC's best wins. UNC has passed the eye test. UNC is significantly deeper. UNC played a significantly better schedule. so based on all those facts, if A or B are not true, then Maryland cannot be put in the same tier as UNC. does that make sense? now try again for a better tier list. you can do it. i'll give you hint. UNC should be alone in 1.
Kleizaster– are you honestly serious with this pedantic tripe? I almost chose to ignore your post—but I’ll humor you.

First of all, the arrangement of these tiers is my opinion. And, if I questioned UNC back then, that’s how I felt back then. Changing circumstances precede changing perspectives. Capisce?

As an aside--some of you are way too sensitive about the opinions of others. Truly. You need to get over yourselves and stop being such snowflakes. Have we come to the point where every person who offends our delicate sensibilities with a different opinion is a troll?

Secondly—I don’t think I could possibly care any less about best, worst, good, bad or ugly wins/losses according to whatever scatterbrained “straight math” equation we’re referring to this week. All that means jack until the teams actually play each other—which they do on fields, not computer printout sheets.

And thirdly—next time, instead of shouting "troll", how about asking me for my rationale? 

Here’s how that might look:

You—Hey ONW, whydja put Maryland up with North Carolina?

Me—Because I think they are a very disciplined, fundamentally sound and talented team with a great goaltender and a great coach. They don’t make critical mistakes and they play level-headed lacrosse during crunch time and I have yet to see them blow a lead or a game all year. And since there is no chance of these two teams meeting until the NCAA’s – I’m giving Maryland the benefit of the doubt that they could play with, and perhaps beat North Carolina, who, let’s face it, has a history of choking in the big dance. 

I want to pause here for a serious question— Did you think Boston College could beat North Carolina last year going into the semifinal game? (It’s actually a rhetorical question because I know what your answer is.) But back to the conversation.

You – Okay, thanks for the explanation. I think you’re wrong but here are my tiers and where I would place the teams.

Me—nice! Let’s discuss, contrast and compare. 

See how easy that is? Next time, maybe.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

tier 1: unc
tier 2: <some folks trust to reason, others trust to might, I don't trust to nothing, but I know it come out right ...>
tier 3: nw, sb, jmu, mary, loyola, bc
tier 4: uf, cuse
tier 5: middlebury, gettysburg, salisbury, tcnj, darien, prince, glenelg
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Darien?
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

njbill

Post by njbill »

@inthe8m wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:43 pm
njbill wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:30 pmDarien?
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... ve_id=4428
Oh, I am well aware of Darien. Have seen them twice live this year, including their “win” over Victor. Will be looking at two more games on film this week. Will see them again live next week.

I’m just wondering why you were including them, although I know your list is tongue-in-cheek.

P.S. You’ll get no argument from me about Glenelg. (I assume you mean public, not private.) Saw public in the preseason. They are an excellent team.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

njbill wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:10 pm
@inthe8m wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:43 pm
njbill wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:30 pmDarien?
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... ve_id=4428
Oh, I am well aware of Darien. Have seen them twice live this year, including their “win” over Victor. Will be looking at two more games on film this week. Will see them again live next week.

I’m just wondering why you were including them, although I know your list is tongue-in-cheek.

P.S. You’ll get no argument from me about Glenelg. (I assume you mean public, not private.) Saw public in the preseason. They are an excellent team.
Glenelg Country is an a whole other level. The best team in the country. Very impressive that Spalding took them down, but then again its the IAAM. An absolute gauntlet. I think the days of McDonogh dominance are over.

Joe
njbill

Post by njbill »

I was suggesting inthe8 was referring to Glenelg public, not private, but he can clarify, of course.

Certainly Glenelg private's 20-7 win over St. Paul's was stunning, at least to me. I used to see 5+ IAAM games a year, but haven't been down since the IAAM A finals in 2019.

Yes, McD's run is over. It ended when Chris Robinson left four years ago. The Eagles lost to NDP that spring, ending their nine year undefeated streak. At the time, I called that the greatest girls HS game ever. Still think so.

McD did reclaim the title (barely) against a young, up and coming St. Paul's team in OT in the title game in 2019, but for my money, it was over when Robinson left. (Not a slight to Cummings who seems to be doing a fine job. She did something Robinson never did. She went up to the Island (in 2019) and played your Manhasset. I was at the game. Mucho credit to her for that.)

But let's wait til the season is over before we anoint anyone the best team in the country. Glenelg private and St. Paul's may meet again in the playoffs. I understand the Gators have had some injuries. Can they bounce back? We'll see.

I'm retired from post-season rankings. Did it on LaxPower for 14 years. Their rankings were pretty good (accurate). Laxnumbers? Not so much. They just don't put in the work that LP did. Still, they are better than nothing and certainly better than the God-awful "rankings" some of the other sites put out.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

njbill wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:10 pm I was suggesting inthe8 was referring to Glenelg public, not private, but he can clarify, of course.

Certainly Glenelg private's 20-7 win over St. Paul's was stunning, at least to me. I used to see 5+ IAAM games a year, but haven't been down since the IAAM A finals in 2019.

Yes, McD's run is over. It ended when Chris Robinson left four years ago. The Eagles lost to NDP that spring, ending their nine year undefeated streak. At the time, I called that the greatest girls HS game ever. Still think so.

McD did reclaim the title (barely) against a young, up and coming St. Paul's team in OT in the title game in 2019, but for my money, it was over when Robinson left. (Not a slight to Cummings who seems to be doing a fine job. She did something Robinson never did. She went up to the Island (in 2019) and played your Manhasset. I was at the game. Mucho credit to her for that.)

But let's wait til the season is over before we anoint anyone the best team in the country. Glenelg private and St. Paul's may meet again in the playoffs. I understand the Gators have had some injuries. Can they bounce back? We'll see.

I'm retired from post-season rankings. Did it on LaxPower for 14 years. Their rankings were pretty good (accurate). Laxnumbers? Not so much. They just don't put in the work that LP did. Still, they are better than nothing and certainly better than the God-awful "rankings" some of the other sites put out.
Your rankings were a pleasure to read and follow. I agree, it will be settled in the postseason. Darien, New Canaan and Wilton might all be as good as they have ever been. Darien beat Manhasset 14-7, Indians are admittedly young but impressive nonetheless. I believe only their 2nd time doing so. New Canaan is really strong as well, knocking off Northport last weekend. Wilton then pushed Northport to OT on Saturday and lost 8-7. Banner year for the cream of the CT crop.

Manhasset took down GC 10-8 on Saturday. Always nice!

Joe
njbill

Post by njbill »

Joe, wasn't the New Canaan v. Northport game part of the Gains for Brains? Do you know why they split the event this year into two days and two sites? From the schedule it almost looked like they didn't use that second field at Cold Spring. And no NJ teams this year. :(

It's a great event which I have been able to make four times. Really wish the Jersey teams would return.

Some great HS games at the G for B. In 2017, in a game between future Tar Heel teammates, Ally Mastroianni lead her Bridgewater-Raritan team to a strong win over Jamie Ortega's Middle Country. I came away from that game thinking Ortega wasn't anything special. :oops:

Then in 2019 Kasey Choma lead her Eastport South Manor team over Darien which had one, maybe two, of the older Humphrey sisters. (The youngest one (Chloe) is the real deal.) Choma scored the gamewinner in classic Choma fashion with a falling down, falling away shot at the buzzer (at least as I recall). Belle Smith was in the audience watching her U19 teammate.

Then in the next game Jenny Markey and Emma Tyrrell and their Mt. Sinai teammates took apart my Quakers. Ugh.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

njbill wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:10 pm I was suggesting inthe8 was referring to Glenelg public, not private, but he can clarify, of course.
Yes, I was referencing Glenelg public.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

njbill wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:42 pm Joe, wasn't the New Canaan v. Northport game part of the Gains for Brains? Do you know why they split the event this year into two days and two sites? From the schedule it almost looked like they didn't use that second field at Cold Spring. And no NJ teams this year. :(

It's a great event which I have been able to make four times. Really wish the Jersey teams would return.

Some great HS games at the G for B. In 2017, in a game between future Tar Heel teammates, Ally Mastroianni lead her Bridgewater-Raritan team to a strong win over Jamie Ortega's Middle Country. I came away from that game thinking Ortega wasn't anything special. :oops:

Then in 2019 Kasey Choma lead her Eastport South Manor team over Darien which had one, maybe two, of the older Humphrey sisters. (The youngest one (Chloe) is the real deal.) Choma scored the gamewinner in classic Choma fashion with a falling down, falling away shot at the buzzer (at least as I recall). Belle Smith was in the audience watching her U19 teammate.

Then in the next game Jenny Markey and Emma Tyrrell and their Mt. Sinai teammates took apart my Quakers. Ugh.
Mastroianni’s team was full of D1 committs. Middle country was a rag tag assortment of players with Ortega and a few low D1 players that went on to the state championship that year. Ortega had 5 goals out of the 9 scored (had to go back to look at box score ) Ortega would go on to be a 4X All-American At UNC breaking at least 4 records . And the eventual all time ACC points leader in History. And yes a terrific event and one of the few Long Island based tournaments.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Had to go back to my notes of the game to take a look. Yes, you are right. Ortega did score 5 goals. I hadn’t remembered she had that many. Bridgewater won the game handily. 10-4 at the half. 17-9 final. Anyway, that is my memory of my impression of her in the game. Obviously I couldn’t have been more wrong. I am a huge fan now.

And, yes, that Bridgewater team had a lot of talent. One of the best New Jersey teams ever. Won the TOC that year. That was a big day for Jersey. Four teams. Four wins over four Island teams.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

njbill wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:46 am Had to go back to my notes of the game to take a look. Yes, you are right. Ortega did score 5 goals. I hadn’t remembered she had that many. Bridgewater won the game handily. 10-4 at the half. 17-9 final. Anyway, that is my memory of my impression of her in the game. Obviously I couldn’t have been more wrong. I am a huge fan now.

And, yes, that Bridgewater team had a lot of talent. One of the best New Jersey teams ever. Won the TOC that year. That was a big day for Jersey. Four teams. Four wins over four Island teams.
That BR team was indeed loaded !
OuttaNowhereWregget

Tier 1 - Carolina, Boston College, Maryland

Tier 2 - Stony Brook, Florida, Denver, JMU, Loyola, Northwestern

Tier 3 - Syracuse, Stanford, USC, Jacksonville, Arizona St, Princeton, Notre Dame, Virginia, Rutgers

Tier 4 - The rest
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 1:14 pm Tier 1 - Carolina, Boston College, Maryland

Tier 3 - Syracuse, Stanford, USC, Jacksonville, Arizona St, Princeton, Notre Dame, Virginia, Rutgers

Tier 4 - The rest
If I was doing this, it would look like this:

Tier 1: UNC, BC

Tier 2: Maryland

Tier 3: Northwestern, Syracuse, SBU, Loyola, Florida

Tier 4: Denver, JMU

Tier 5: Princeton, Notre Dame

Tier 6: other teams that play lacrosse.

I think Maryland is genuinely a step below the two ACC powers, and a step above the Tier 3 teams listed. I suppose some of your downgrading of Syracuse is the recent body of work and injuries; I get that and it's hard to disagree, but I'm an egregious homer, so I put Syracuse with two teams to which it lost (Gainesville State and NU) and two that it beat (SBU and Loyola).
OuttaNowhereWregget

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:28 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 1:14 pm Tier 1 - Carolina, Boston College, Maryland

Tier 4 - The rest

I think Maryland is genuinely a step below the two ACC powers, and a step above the Tier 3 teams listed. I suppose some of your downgrading of Syracuse is the recent body of work and injuries; I get that and it's hard to disagree, but I'm an egregious homer, so I put Syracuse with two teams to which it lost (Gainesville State and NU) and two that it beat (SBU and Loyola).
Now that’s one cool set of tiers. Nicely done. Can’t argue with anything you said.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Tier 4 - The rest

Interesting groupings. Let me opine here : Your Tier 1 is solid. On Tier 2, I would add Stony Brook and Loyola. Why? Both have good enough Goalie play(SBU uses two, Loyola one) and good coaching with Spallina being in the top 5 in the SPORT! On Tier 3, I move up JMU who has been playing well lately. I drop Syracuse to Tier 4 due to the injuries and Goalie situation.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

LarryGamLax wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:13 pm

Tier 4 - The rest

Interesting groupings. Let me opine here : Your Tier 1 is solid. On Tier 2, I would add Stony Brook and Loyola. Why? Both have good enough Goalie play(SBU uses two, Loyola one) and good coaching with Spallina being in the top 5 in the SPORT! On Tier 3, I move up JMU who has been playing well lately. I drop Syracuse to Tier 4 due to the injuries and Goalie situation.
Yeah, that seems reasonable to me. But: I said I was a terrible homer for Syracuse. So “no!!”
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

Tier 1: UNC - The best goalie on the best team, gonna be hard to top that

Tier 2: BC - could be a tier 1 after this weekend - they don't have to win to jump to tier 1, just don't get steam rolled
Maryland - Sterling could take them far
Loyola - There's something about this team

Tier 2A: SB - Rock Solid, just need to get over the hump, last year was a great tournament for them
NW - Good goaltending but something seems off for the LakeShow

Tier 3: Denver, JMU, Florida, Syracuse, Jax, Princeton, ND, UVA, Rutgers

Tier 4: Everyone else

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”