Syracuse 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
JeremyCuse

Re: Syracuse 2022

Post by JeremyCuse »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:26 pm I'm all for keeping the flame alive but I have to scratch my head when I see the reality of what SU has pieced together in the past many seasons (including this 2022 season) and what they would've done during the Covid season, what they're going to do with their top recruiting class, etc.
Not sure I am following here, you think SU should have kept Desko or done something different this year? Once Hiltz went down the season was effectively over as far as the tournament, some bad late game collapses not withstanding. Hard to say what their going to do with the top recruiting class with it not being on campus for another three months, the initial outlook as that a good chunk of them will be seeing a lot of time early and often and there will be a lot of uneven performances.
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

1766 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:36 pm
BigTom5 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:00 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:12 am
lorin wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:02 am
BigTom5 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:59 am
joewillie78 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:49 am Holy Crap. The 2nd wave of under armour AA selections for the game this Summer just came out and 4 of the 11 are Syracuse recruits.

Add this to the first wave that of course included #1 recruit Joey Spillane.

This game has basically turned into a Syracuse scrimmage.

Syracuse has to have the greatest recruiting class ever, and only Alabama in football can come close to this. WOW.

Clearly Syracuse in the near future will have the #1 team in the country. Glad they play us here at the Kopf next year so we get to see all these great kids on the field together.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
I’ll have what he’s having! Cuse is a dumpster fire right now. To say they will be back on top in the near future is crazy talk. Sure they have a great recruiting class coming in, but so do the top schools that they need to make up A LOT of ground on. And those schools don’t have top talent transferring out, they have top talent transferring in.
HS and D1 are a different animal, let’s wait and see. Didn’t UNC have the # 1 class this year
Big difference between #1 class and this other worldly class the Cuse has coming in. My god, I look at this class and they have like the #1 or #2 guy at almost every position.

Again, I compare this class to a Top ALABAMA class in football.

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Let’s take a look..

Attack: 1. Spallina (Cuse) 2. Pietramala (UNC)
Midfield: 1. Terenzi (UVA) 2. Weisshaar (Towson)
FO: 1. Eldridge (UVA) 2 Cascadden (Cornell)
Defense: 1. Schaller (UMd) 2. Larkin (UMd)
Goalie: 1. Blind (Harvard) 2. Ricciardelli (ND)

So no, they don’t have one of the top two recruits at each position. I’m in agreement that they probably have the #1 class overall, but it’s not head and shoulders above say a UVA class that has 3 top 10 recruits to Cuse’s 1, and it’s definitely not the once in a generation class you make it out to be.

… and even if it is, this team will probably still not make a final four anytime soon unless they stack multiple classes and/or fill more gaps with the transfer portal.
I'd wager a lot of money that 5 years from now 50% of that list isn't in the top 10 at their position.
If you look at recent history you’d realize this is a foolish bet, these top of the top end recruits end up working out closer to 75% of the time. Might not all be tewey finalists but they more often then not make an all American list at some point in their careers.

Due to the fact that you live in an alternate reality, your Disney dollars are meaningless to me, so no point in making a wager.

Post by 1766 »

BigTom5 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:13 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:49 am Holy Crap. The 2nd wave of under armour AA selections for the game this Summer just came out and 4 of the 11 are Syracuse recruits.

Syracuse has to have the greatest recruiting class ever, and only Alabama in football can come close to this. WOW.

Clearly Syracuse in the near future will have the #1 team in the country. Glad they play us here at the Kopf next year so we get to see all these great kids on the field together.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
I’ll have what he’s having! Cuse is a dumpster fire right now. To say they will be back on top in the near future is crazy talk. Sure they have a great recruiting class coming in, but so do the top schools that they need to make up A LOT of ground on. And those schools don’t have top talent transferring out, they have top talent transferring in.
HS and D1 are a different animal, let’s wait and see. Didn’t UNC have the # 1 class this year
Big difference between #1 class and this other worldly class the Cuse has coming in. My god, I look at this class and they have like the #1 or #2 guy at almost every position.

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Let’s take a look..

So no, they don’t have one of the top two recruits at each position. I’m in agreement that they probably have the #1 class overall, but it’s not head and shoulders above say a UVA class that has 3 top 10 recruits to Cuse’s 1, and it’s definitely not the once in a generation class you make it out to be.

… and even if it is, this team will probably still not make a final four anytime soon unless they stack multiple classes and/or fill more gaps with the transfer portal.
I'd wager a lot of money that 5 years from now 50% of that list isn't in the top 10 at their position.
If you look at recent history you’d realize this is a foolish bet, these top of the top end recruits end up working out closer to 75% of the time. Might not all be tewey finalists but they more often then not make an all American list at some point in their careers.

Due to the fact that you live in an alternate reality, your Disney dollars are meaningless to me, so no point in making a wager.
Don't worry, I'd never bet a guy on the internet who refers to himself as "BigTom". Btw, you're still responding to me after you declared you were ignoring me. Self control is essential in life. I suggest trying to get some.
lilax

Post by lilax »

The last top attackman Syracuse got was Jordan Evans.

He had a solid career, but not jaw-dropping.

I do think Spallina will help on offense. But they need to get some ACC level poles in. It is not good when you have transfers from Gettysburg and Le Moyne starting down on close defense.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I don’t get overly excited about classes bcs there is too much uncertainty involved. I prefer to wait for onfield results. But Cuse’s class on paper is a top class, i would take a long position as opposed to shorting them. GG’s class is a really strong start bit that is all it is so far. The following class is also purported to be very good.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

It is what it is and the D has issues but one wonders what the team w healthy Hiltz and Scanlon had been around.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:16 pm It is what it is and the D has issues but one wonders what the team w healthy Hiltz and Scanlon had been around.
Probably 7 or 8 wins to be honest maybe more with Hiltz because he was going to play an enormous role on this team. They wouldn't have fixed the goalie and overall Defensive issues that likely would have caused this team major issues.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

JeremyCuse wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:36 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:16 pm It is what it is and the D has issues but one wonders what the team w healthy Hiltz and Scanlon had been around.
Probably 7 or 8 wins to be honest maybe more with Hiltz because he was going to play an enormous role on this team. They wouldn't have fixed the goalie and overall Defensive issues that likely would have caused this team major issues.
I think that's a fair assessment. Maybe they win those 1 to 3 goal games (Carolina, Cornell, Albany, Hopkins).
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Let’s take a look..

You can bank it.
“I wish you would!”

Post by 1766 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:15 pm

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Let’s take a look..

You can bank it.
From what I have seen, Spallina is a great talent. Will he live up to the hype? It's becoming almost impossible to. Much like Brennan Oneill, who is a wonderful player but he was being talked about like the greatest ever. At some point the hype is outpacing ability. It's no knock on these kids but hype sells. At some point you have to play though.

I have no doubt Spallina will be a very productive college player. I would say the same for Larkin. Those would be my two picks most likely to be one the tops of their position while in college. From there it's a crapshoot.

Below is the 2018 Top 100 List. Take the top 10. Makar and Bowen are the only ones to have lived up to their billing. It would seem this is a common theme. Lots changes from the ages of 16-22.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiting/rankinglist/2

Post by 1766 »

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Let’s take a look..

You can bank it.
From what I have seen, Spallina is a great talent. Will he live up to the hype? It's becoming almost impossible to. Much like Brennan Oneill, who is a wonderful player but he was being talked about like the greatest ever. At some point the hype is outpacing ability. It's no knock on these kids but hype sells. At some point you have to play though.

I have no doubt Spallina will be a very productive college player. I would say the same for Larkin. Those would be my two picks most likely to be one the tops of their position while in college. From there it's a crapshoot.

Below is the 2018 Top 100 List. Take the top 10. Makar and Bowen are the only ones to have lived up to their billing. It would seem this is a common theme. Lots changes from the ages of 16-22.

CrazyPeople

Post by CrazyPeople »

1766 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:58 pm

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Let’s take a look..

You can bank it.

Is anyone else concerned about the sheer pressure that is going to be on this kid next year? If you read most the comments over at SyracuseFan, a lot of posters are expecting him and this class to carry the whole load next year. Spallina is a great talent. However, with everything they lose from an already terrible 4-10 team, he's going to be in the bright lights wearing 22 and people are going to expect instant greatness. I honestly feel bad for him.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

The good news is, there is not a history of massive expectations being placed upon highly regarded players at Syracuse wearing the 22 and it not working out
lorin

Post by lorin »

CrazyPeople wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:07 pm

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Let’s take a look..

You can bank it.

Is anyone else concerned about the sheer pressure that is going to be on this kid next year? If you read most the comments over at SyracuseFan, a lot of posters are expecting him and this class to carry the whole load next year. Spallina is a great talent. However, with everything they lose from an already terrible 4-10 team, he's going to be in the bright lights wearing 22 and people are going to expect instant greatness. I honestly feel bad for him.
Seriously you feel bad for him , he has made a show out everything he does. Don’t talk the talk if you can’t do the walk.
lorin

Post by lorin »

CrazyPeople wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:07 pm

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Let’s take a look..

You can bank it.

Seriously you feel bad for him , he has made a show out everything he does. Don’t talk the talk if you can’t do the walk.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

lorin wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:40 pm Seriously you feel bad for him , he has made a show out everything he does. Don’t talk the talk if you can’t do the walk.
I blame that more on his dad. He's a minor. Seems like a nice kid but his pops is definitely not helping to tamp down the hype machine
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Anyone who blames a high school kid is…
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
lorin

Post by lorin »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:47 pm
lorin wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:40 pm Seriously you feel bad for him , he has made a show out everything he does. Don’t talk the talk if you can’t do the walk.
I blame that more on his dad. He's a minor. Seems like a nice kid but his pops is definitely not helping to tamp down the hype machine
Agree
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Word is that John Galloway said no to Providence(where he was an assistant). Do you think he sticks it out at Jacksonville for a bit longer and waits to see what happens regarding Gary Gait at SU? Could SU be John's dream job?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”