InsiderRoll

Re: Transfer Portal 2023

Post by InsiderRoll »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:59 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:56 pm Fake, Tevlin
Big

Fake was originally a UVA commit
*He was a Cuse commit

Should be noted that Tevlin has a no contact tag. He may already have a good idea where he is going.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:56 pm Add

Army: Hickam
Bucknell: Van Slyke
Loyola: Hayburn
Marquette: Burt-Murray
Michigan: Russell
Rutgers: Burr, Taub
Syracuse: Savage
Yale: Ershman, Fake, Tevlin
Wagner: Dwyer
There is absolutely no one on loyolas roster with this last name. The only person on the team that has their name currently in the portal that was posted on this thread is Seay. Unless you mean someone else
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

houndace1 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:38 pm

There is absolutely no one on loyolas roster with this last name. The only person on the team that has their name currently in the portal that was posted on this thread is Seay. Unless you mean someone else
There's a Hayburn on the Loyola swim team. Maybe he's looking to pick up a lax stick.

Fake was a UVA commit btw, not Cuse
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:40 pm
houndace1 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:38 pm

There's a Hayburn on the Loyola swim team. Maybe he's looking to pick up a lax stick.

Fake was a UVA commit btw, not Cuse
Bio says he played 3 years of HS lax at St. Mary’s… interesting…

If gets picked up, great!! Maybe he pulls a Delaney from hopkins and plays one year on the team.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
LongIslandLacks

Post by LongIslandLacks »

This portal thing is a mess. I suppose for 2 or 3 players who are must-haves, a coach will put them ahead of others on the roster who have put in years of loyalty. But 99% of the players in the portal are not that caliber. One would think coaches who need to strengthen the depth chart might bite on those, but really need to be careful not to piss off hard workers who have been earning time and are on a trajectory to each more. Shame it’s come to this. But this year might be the worst.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

LongIslandLacks wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:09 pm This portal thing is a mess. I suppose for 2 or 3 players who are must-haves, a coach will put them ahead of others on the roster who have put in years of loyalty. But 99% of the players in the portal are not that caliber. One would think coaches who need to strengthen the depth chart might bite on those, but really need to be careful not to tick off hard workers who have been earning time and are on a trajectory to each more. Shame it’s come to this. But this year might be the worst.
Guys who transfer in aren't guaranteed major roles, or even playing time at all. Look at Hawkins and Fedorjaka at Notre Dame or Mitchell at Duke this year.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

LongIslandLacks wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:09 pm This portal thing is a mess. I suppose for 2 or 3 players who are must-haves, a coach will put them ahead of others on the roster who have put in years of loyalty. But 99% of the players in the portal are not that caliber. One would think coaches who need to strengthen the depth chart might bite on those, but really need to be careful not to tick off hard workers who have been earning time and are on a trajectory to each more. Shame it’s come to this. But this year might be the worst.
It definitely is a mess, but the reasoning for that is the additional year due to COVID that no one could have predicted. Most of these kids are just trying to take advantage of the year of lacrosse they had cancelled. I believe there are only 2 more years of this until everything is caught up and back to normal.

Devils advocate here... Should some of these coaches not take a transfer if he is head and shoulders significantly better than those guys that are working their ass off on their roster? At the end of the day, winning is important. I do agree with you that it does not make a whole lot of sense to take a bunch of transfers who are equal to those kids waiting in the wings. Let the current kids there provide the depth to your team. The loyalty aspect is respected, but sometimes that is life. Certainly is a fine line to walk here, but can't blame any coach who is making his team a LOT better.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:10 pm
pcowlax wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:55 pm
bearlaxfan wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:33 pm Lots of talent available, but Hincks could really end up at a legit natty championship hopeful à la Adler. Who is losing their goalie, or whose goalie is the weak link?
They have a highly regarded sophomore on the roster but one way he could be the next Adler is by replacing….Adler
He’s headed to Duke.
Hmmm….
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:04 am
Guys who transfer in aren't guaranteed major roles, or even playing time at all. Look at Hawkins and Fedorjaka at Notre Dame or Mitchell at Duke this year.
Wasn’t Mitchell playing early? I had forgotten about him.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Fairfield is losing a ****load of players.Que pasa?
Typical Lax Dad

wahoomurf wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:36 am Fairfield is losing a ****load of players.Que pasa?
Not sure if many are graduating and moving on instead of enrolling in graduate school?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

wahoomurf wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:36 am Fairfield is losing a ****load of players.Que pasa?
I think they are looking to turn over their roster with their
move to the A-10,
can’t say for sure but I’d guess the lion’s share are
Covid 5th years.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:35 am
He's played a bit, but the point was he's not taking a spot that someone else on the roster deserves. Wasn't just given a big role because he was a relatively high-profile transfer. Not sure how many examples there are of transfers getting playing time when they clearly shouldn't though I'm open to hearing the argument if there are obvious examples. Good coaches will accumulate the talent and then let the players settle it with their play.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

10stone5 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:21 am
move to the A-10,
Covid 5th years.
5 of those guys on Fairfield, Tyler Wuchte, Trevor Ford, Brendan Dreyer, Brian Reda and David Dorsett were not even on the roster this year. They were all juniors in 2020 and evidently quit this year or were cut. Not sure why they didn't transfer last year. They were all recruited by the previous regime so that is not all that surprising.

Patrick Drake might have also quit the team after 9 games this year. His bio was removed from the team website after 9 games. Which is surprising since his brother Mikey transferred in this year from Notre Dame for a fifth year. Patrick had a nice freshman year with 21 goals and 10 assists, but his playing time diminished over the years.

Not sure if any of these guys will catch on with other teams. Maybe Borda?
Typical Lax Dad

HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:26 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:35 am
He's played a bit, but the point was he's not taking a spot that someone else on the roster deserves. Wasn't just given a big role because he was a relatively high-profile transfer. Not sure how many examples there are of transfers getting playing time when they clearly shouldn't though I'm open to hearing the argument if there are obvious examples. Good coaches will accumulate the talent and then let the players settle it with their play.
I just looked. He played in 12 of 16 games. I had forgotten that he was on the team. A coach can promise an opportunity but the player has to take advantage of it. Most players get an opportunity at some point. My advice has always been, “make it hard for the coach not to play you”.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

move to the A-10,
Covid 5th years.
I don’t see Fairfield in the A-10 next year
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I’m just going by the rumor mill,

Fairfield as an associate member.
Typical Lax Dad

Laxbuck wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:15 am
move to the A-10,
Covid 5th years.
I had not heard that either. For all sports?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Here is what I am going by re: Fairfield,

viewtopic.php?f=290&t=3372

The story is, done deal, Fairfield and UMass gone from the CAA,
to the A-10 next season.
JustPassingThrough

Post by JustPassingThrough »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:36 am
Laxbuck wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:15 am
move to the A-10,
Covid 5th years.
I had not heard that either. For all sports?
A-10 is reasonable speculation, as is staying CAA. Mens lax only. Other sports are/stay MAAC (except field hockey in NEC).

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”