JeremyCuse

Re: Syracuse 2022

Post by JeremyCuse »

1766 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:12 pm
JeremyCuse wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:07 pm
1766 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:03 pm
JeremyCuse wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:01 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:55 pm
1766 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:53 pm He's from Oregon as is Ross Scott who is having a great year. They surely know each other...
With no insult to RU, my guess is that he'll want to go to a school with a better chance of winning a ring. But I'd love to be wrong. His playing at RU would be fun.
Early schools being mentioned are G-town and Maryland with some thought to potentially Denver if he wants to go get closer to home. Your guess is spot on, I would be shocked if it was Rutgers.
If he goes to Denver, then winning a ring isn't the most important factor. I'm not saying he won't, but it's all a guess at this point. He's certainly fielding calls from schools other than those three, this I can tell you.
Hence the closer to home line about Denver. I am sure RU would love to have Tucker (what school wouldn't) but he's looking to chase a ring from what we have heard, that isn't the Knights.
Guess we will see when the tourney starts.
If your going to tell me RU is going to make a run to the final four or title game or that the Kavanaugh brothers are transferring in then Yes I think that could have an impact but beyond that I think RU will have a hard time selling a guy like Dordevic to come there when they haven't made a final four in the modern era and lose as much as they due to Graduation.

Post by 1766 »

I'm making no predictions other than lets see. If they make it further than Georgetown, well...

Reinforcements on the way :)
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

1766 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:21 pm I'm making no predictions other than lets see. If they make it further than Georgetown, well...

If Rutty beats G-town (I can't see it with that G-town D) that opens up a lot more then just adding an elite transfer for RU.

Post by 1766 »

JeremyCuse wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:32 pm
1766 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:21 pm I'm making no predictions other than lets see. If they make it further than Georgetown, well...

If Rutty beats G-town (I can't see it with that G-town D) that opens up a lot more then just adding an elite transfer for RU.
That's why they play the games.

"Rutty (never heard that before)" has already gotten elite transfers, so he wouldn't be the first. It will be an uphill battle to land him but it wouldn't b be the most shocking thing in the world.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

1766 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:47 pm
JeremyCuse wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:32 pm

That's why they play the games.

"Rutty (never heard that before)" has already gotten elite transfers, so he wouldn't be the first. It will be an uphill battle to land him but it wouldn't b be the most shocking thing in the world.
Again not to be that guy but Bartolo, Kirst and Cameron while nice players are not elite transfers. An elite transfer is a Sowers, Gray, Galasso, TD Ierlan type of guy that every power School will be after. If you want to argue Kirst's brother was an elite transfer I'll give you that but to say Rutgers has gotten elite transfers plural in the past isn't exactly accurate. Either way the argument is really moot, he laid out to day what he's looking for in a school and its clearly a G-town/Duke type.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Connor Kirst was an elite transfer for Rutgers.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

10stone5 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:49 pm Connor Kirst was an elite transfer for Rutgers.
I did acknowledge that in my post. If were being fair he was going their regardless to honor his father but yes he was an elite recruit/transfer.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Holy Crap. The 2nd wave of under armour AA selections for the game this Summer just came out and 4 of the 11 are Syracuse recruits.

Add this to the first wave that of course included #1 recruit Joey Spillane.

This game has basically turned into a Syracuse scrimmage.

Syracuse has to have the greatest recruiting class ever, and only Alabama in football can come close to this. WOW.

Clearly Syracuse in the near future will have the #1 team in the country. Glad they play us here at the Kopf next year so we get to see all these great kids on the field together.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

joewillie78 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:49 am Holy Crap. The 2nd wave of under armour AA selections for the game this Summer just came out and 4 of the 11 are Syracuse recruits.

Syracuse has to have the greatest recruiting class ever, and only Alabama in football can come close to this. WOW.

Clearly Syracuse in the near future will have the #1 team in the country. Glad they play us here at the Kopf next year so we get to see all these great kids on the field together.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
I’ll have what he’s having! Cuse is a dumpster fire right now. To say they will be back on top in the near future is crazy talk. Sure they have a great recruiting class coming in, but so do the top schools that they need to make up A LOT of ground on. And those schools don’t have top talent transferring out, they have top talent transferring in.
lorin

Post by lorin »

BigTom5 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:59 am
joewillie78 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:49 am Holy Crap. The 2nd wave of under armour AA selections for the game this Summer just came out and 4 of the 11 are Syracuse recruits.

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
I’ll have what he’s having! Cuse is a dumpster fire right now. To say they will be back on top in the near future is crazy talk. Sure they have a great recruiting class coming in, but so do the top schools that they need to make up A LOT of ground on. And those schools don’t have top talent transferring out, they have top talent transferring in.
HS and D1 are a different animal, let’s wait and see. Didn’t UNC have the # 1 class this year
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

You guys act as if Syracuse has never had the #1 team. Right before the pandemic hit in 2019, they were undefeated and ranked #1 (Cornell was #2), and they probably in the last 30-40 years have been ranked #1 more than any other team.

So I bring up that since their recruiting class is literally the best I have ever seen, and declare they will be #1 again real soon and you fall off your collective seats.

Sorry, I stand by my original statement. They will be #1 in the near future.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

I can't tell if Joewillie is being serious or satirical here, which means that I hope for his sake he's being serious. One recruiting class, these days, makes up about 1/5 of a college lacrosse roster, so obviously a program needs a few good recruiting classes to have a successful season. This recruiting class is exciting, especially because there are good players at multiple positions, but I don't think anyone thinks this class will turn the whole program around.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

I know it’ll be unpopular, but I have this feeling that Spallina isn’t going to live up to the hype. Super skilled and high IQ - but he is only an average athlete, he’s very small for a guy that tries to play so physical. I just feel that he’ll have to go back to being an off-ball guy when he gets to CUSE. Not saying he won’t be good, but I don’t think he’s transformational as a recruit.

When you look at the previous #1 ranked recruits.

2021 - McAdorey
2020 - O’Neill
2019 - shellenberger
2018 - Epstein
2017 - Fairman

He’s a lot closer to Epstein, Fairman and McAdorey then he is O’Neill and Shellenberger.

Time will tell I guess.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

To be fair Epstein was on a Tewaaraton type career path with 73 pts his freshman year before hurting his knee prior to sophomore season, and he clearly hasn't been the same player since. If that doesn't happen who knows what kind of career he'd have had.

Spallina is a phenomenal high school player who is going to find ways to score at the next level, but I do wonder if all the highlights/NIL stuff/his last name/being given #22 before he even steps foot on campus/the general hype isn't creating outsized expectations that may inevitably lead to a letdown if he isn't a generational player. Even if he is as good as advertised, he's not going to fix the defense, goaltending, or the need for a FOGO with Phaup gone, among other issues.

The truth as usual is probably somewhere in the middle of the extremes. I don't think Cuse is doomed and they very well may find themselves back into relevance in a few years, but I also think banking on one player or one freshman class to turn things around will prove to be a mistake.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Nanticoke was #1,

there was lots and lots and lots of hype around Nanticoke.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Finlay Thomson, Edge Lacrosse, 2022, picked for Under Armour
wave II.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

10stone5 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:53 am Finlay Thomson, Edge Lacrosse, 2022, picked for Under Armour
wave II.
I think SU fans are just as excited for Thompson as they are for Spallina. Spallina puts himself out there more and is seen more on Long Island than Thompson is wherever he's playing right now, so the hype isn't reflective of our excitement level, in my opinion.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:43 am I know it’ll be unpopular, but I have this feeling that Spallina isn’t going to live up to the hype. Super skilled and high IQ - but he is only an average athlete, he’s very small for a guy that tries to play so physical. I just feel that he’ll have to go back to being an off-ball guy when he gets to CUSE. Not saying he won’t be good, but I don’t think he’s transformational as a recruit.

2021 - McAdorey
2020 - O’Neill
2019 - shellenberger
2018 - Epstein
2017 - Fairman

He’s a lot closer to Epstein, Fairman and McAdorey then he is O’Neill and Shellenberger.

Time will tell I guess.
2015 I believe was the BEST recruit in the past 10 years. JEFF TEAT, and he did transform Cornell immediately.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

InsiderRoll wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:43 am I know it’ll be unpopular, but I have this feeling that Spallina isn’t going to live up to the hype. Super skilled and high IQ - but he is only an average athlete, he’s very small for a guy that tries to play so physical. I just feel that he’ll have to go back to being an off-ball guy when he gets to CUSE. Not saying he won’t be good, but I don’t think he’s transformational as a recruit.

2021 - McAdorey
2020 - O’Neill
2019 - shellenberger
2018 - Epstein
2017 - Fairman

Time will tell I guess.
Epstein got hurt and hasn’t been the same post injury but I know what you mean. Shellenberger and O’Neill are + athletes. Might be best athletes on their respective teams.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

lorin wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:02 am
BigTom5 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:59 am

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
HS and D1 are a different animal, let’s wait and see. Didn’t UNC have the # 1 class this year
Big difference between #1 class and this other worldly class the Cuse has coming in. My god, I look at this class and they have like the #1 or #2 guy at almost every position.

Again, I compare this class to a Top ALABAMA class in football.

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”