Loyola Greyhounds 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
TheBigIguana

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2022

Post by TheBigIguana »

NovaHound wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:44 pm I don't post much anymore because it's largely irrelevant , but I have a few comments on the game last night.

Savio dominated. Wing Play finally showed up. Middleton made some plays. Cheers for the ROPE UNIT!!

Defense bent but didn't break. Shafer had a great save right before half - that was crucial. Zone didn't work as well against Lehigh as Colgate. Hughes, Wyers and Leblanc. Solid.

Peyton Rezanka FIRST TEAM AA! His play is incredible. He's a beast. His numbers reflect that - seriously. No other player close.

Riley Seay just friggin out hustled everyone to keep the ball alive - great individual play. His time on the field has been down but gosh he went out there and balled!

Matt Heuston - finally feeling good and gaining confidence.

Davis Lindsey - he's fun to watch.

Man Up Unit - thank You!! Great job.

Potsie, Seth, love your play.

And how fitting that the game winner was an assist from Olmstead to Lindley.

Yeah - we gonna ride into Tuesday with some confidence. Statistically speaking Bucknell is a better offense and defense - and Won/loss record.

But I gotta think Toomey will have this team ready.
It's a shame Rezanka won't get that honor because you're right it isn't close. He's solid as they come defensively but he adds turnovers in a way no one else comes close to.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

TheBigIguana wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:17 pm
NovaHound wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:44 pm I don't post much anymore because it's largely irrelevant , but I have a few comments on the game last night.

Savio dominated. Wing Play finally showed up. Middleton made some plays. Cheers for the ROPE UNIT!!

Defense bent but didn't break. Shafer had a great save right before half - that was crucial. Zone didn't work as well against Lehigh as Colgate. Hughes, Wyers and Leblanc. Solid.

Peyton Rezanka FIRST TEAM AA! His play is incredible. He's a beast. His numbers reflect that - seriously. No other player close.

Riley Seay just friggin out hustled everyone to keep the ball alive - great individual play. His time on the field has been down but gosh he went out there and balled!

Yeah - we gonna ride into Tuesday with some confidence. Statistically speaking Bucknell is a better offense and defense - and Won/loss record.

It's a shame Rezanka won't get that honor because you're right it isn't close. He's solid as they come defensively but he adds turnovers in a way no one else comes close to.

Bailey and Eric will need to do well at face-off again. Sam saw the Bucknell ball real well too. And Higgins really broke out last time against the Bisons.

Finally, Navy smoked Bucknell in its last outing.

I feel good about this one, but not banking anything yet. Bucknell is a solid team, I just think we have more.

Hopefully the stands are full. The Hounds players seem to respond well to the fans energy.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:42 pm

Bailey and Eric will need to do well at face-off again. Sam saw the Bucknell ball real well too. And Higgins really broke out last time against the Bisons.

I feel good about this one, but not banking anything yet. Bucknell is a solid team, I just think we have more.

Hopefully the stands are full. The Hounds players seem to respond well to the fans energy.
My take on Loyola is simply that if they ever put it together and have a good day shooting the ball and Shafer makes saves they can beat anyone who isn't Maryland. They've just not got there yet and I don't really feel confident they will because they're too inconsistent in those areas.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

TheBigIguana wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:33 pm

My take on Loyola is simply that if they ever put it together and have a good day shooting the ball and Shafer makes saves they can beat anyone who isn't Maryland. They've just not got there yet and I don't really feel confident they will because they're too inconsistent in those areas.
There was only one team that beat, Maryland, All others we controlled our destiny.

Today we need to take GOOD shots. Too many times we hit the goalie stick and he does not have to move. Control our unforced turnovers. Don’t force feed the crease when it is not there.

Communication is key to d. Ssdms cannot get beat
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

laxbro11 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 1:02 pm
TheBigIguana wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:33 pm

There was only one team that beat, Maryland, All others we controlled our destiny.

Today we need to take GOOD shots. Too many times we hit the goalie stick and he does not have to move. Control our unforced turnovers. Don’t force feed the crease when it is not there.

Communication is key to d. Ssdms cannot get beat
You got it exactly. Better shot placement and value the ball.

I just got to Ridley. Let's do this!

Let's go Hounds!
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Just one game of good shooting, please
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Hounds don’t seem to have any plan to deal with the zone.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

I guess that’s a plan but not very sustainable. Need to get D pulled out and find space near crease.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

As long as Bucknell continues to throw the ball away, Hounds should be fine, zone or no zone.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Henpecked wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:52 pm As long as Bucknell continues to throw the ball away, Hounds should be fine, zone or no zone.
That will certainly get them a lot of possession and togas yo have had the ball 75% of this game but they sure don’t look like a threat to score. Not even forcing saves. Bucknell with vastly less possession but Shaffer with many the better saves, could be a 4 or 5 goal game
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

There’s a shot
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Draw them out, finish at crease. Last few is how you address a D like this which is pushing out

Post by 1766 »

Congratulations to the Greyhounds. Much lacrosse to play but first test passed.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Great job, boys!!!! Great win over a very good Bucknell team.

Sam plus Bailey: locked in.

Let’s go!!! So glad this season continues!!!
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

pcowlax wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:46 pm Hounds don’t seem to have any plan to deal with the zone.
You mean the great MVA does not have a plan?

Listening to the play by play said it all. Loyola did not even challenge the goalie with our shots. It was too easy.

Two major issues. First. Shooting percentage. Only 25%. Not going to get it done. Good to see wigley get on the board. We need more production from the second line. Second. Our weak point on d. I know I harp on it. But with rezanka not playing. We are at a serious deficit. Still getting beat. And making us slide and giving up the easy goal.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

laxbro11 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:11 pm
pcowlax wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:46 pm Hounds don’t seem to have any plan to deal with the zone.

Listening to the play by play said it all. Loyola did not even challenge the goalie with our shots. It was too easy.

Two major issues. First. Shooting percentage. Only 25%. Not going to get it done. Good to see wigley get on the board. We need more production from the second line. Second. Our weak point on d. I know I harp on it. But with rezanka not playing. We are at a serious deficit. Still getting beat. And making us slide and giving up the easy goal.

You guys realize we just won, right?
Loyolalax

Post by Loyolalax »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:57 pm

Yes we won. But we did not have our first lead until late fourth quarter against a sub par team. We out shot. Out ground balled. Won the face off battle. And squeezed a victory out. Championship teams don t do that

For this team to continue playing they need to clean up their act. They continue to make the same fundamental errors game in and game out. We can do that against a bad team.

Any word on rezanka?

If I am army. I would zone us. Force us to shoot from the outside. We have struggled passing and catching and we force our passes.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

It can happen.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Loyolalax wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:58 am

Yes we won. But we did not have our first lead until late fourth quarter against a sub par team. We out shot. Out ground balled. Won the face off battle. And squeezed a victory out. Championship teams don t do that

For this team to continue playing they need to clean up their act. They continue to make the same fundamental errors game in and game out. We can do that against a bad team.

Any word on rezanka?

If I am army. I would zone us. Force us to shoot from the outside. We have struggled passing and catching and we force our passes.

Did you really call Bucknell ‘subpar’?!?? There are other ways to qualify a team if you don’t think they have the horses of say Maryland, but ‘subpar’ isn’t one. Almost every team in D1 is capable of outstanding lacrosse on any given day. A Loyola trait is to treat other teams with respect.

By the way, Bucknell lost to Army by one goal. And Army is next.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Loyolalax wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:58 am
Any word on rezanka?
Just my speculation based on what I saw on the sideline, so take it for what it's worth. Rezanka was in uniform and warmed up with the team, so it appeared he expected to play. Toward the end of warm-ups, he was lying on a bench and one of the trainers was stretching him out. When the game started, he and the trainers disappeared into the locker room for a long time. He emerged later still in uniform and the trainers were talking to him and prodding his back. He went back into the locker room and then came out near the end of the first half no longer wearing his jersey.

If I had to guess I would say some kind of lower back injury/issue. Hopefully he's ready to go again on Friday.
Attachments
20220504_132830.jpg
20220504_132830.jpg (186.71 KiB) Viewed 787 times

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”