Ivy League 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
ICGrad

Re: Ivy League 2022

Post by ICGrad »

Can Opener wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:23 am Even Coach Daly has said in a recent podcast that the regional advisory committees are going to apply an "eye test." That makes me very, very nervous.
Yup
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

So, basically, for the most Ivies (5-6) to get into the NCAA, we root for every conference 1st place high RPI favorite to win their tournament. Got this right, correct?
Lux et veritas
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Mid-Lax wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:19 am So, basically, for the most Ivies (5-6) to get into the NCAA, we root for every conference 1st place high RPI favorite to win their tournament. Got this right, correct?
I don't think that's any different than other other year, or any other sport, for that matter. Surprise AQ teams subtract from the number of at-large bids (or, more exactly, throw additional potentially highly-qualified teams into the at-large pool).

If your team is in the market for an at-large bid (which describes all but one of the IL teams) then generally you want the pool of teams competing for those bids as small as possible.
GSP

Post by GSP »

Mid-Lax wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:19 am So, basically, for the most Ivies (5-6) to get into the NCAA, we root for every conference 1st place high RPI favorite to win their tournament. Got this right, correct?
Besides the obvious terror induced by having your school's team being forced to face the Genghis Khan, full-on, Mongol Horde, onslaught of an ACC opponent, why is it so absolutely crucial for you guys to not only see your own school's team get in, but the bracket filled with the rest of the IVY League teams getting in as well? To dispense with the blatant smokescreen, is it not because you KNOW that a field filled with Ivy League opponents and AQs represent a significantly weaker challenge to your own school's team chances to go all the way?
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

GSP, what a joker. ACC will get what it deserves. One team, maybe two. My, how the winds have changed. Better be on the lookout for freshmen stars in the Ivy League. I expect they will quickly flip flop your ACC arrogance.
Lux et veritas
GSP

Post by GSP »

joewillie78 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:02 am
GSP wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:35 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:09 pm
GSP wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:36 pm
nms wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 5:20 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 5:05 pm
bearlaxfan wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 4:54 pm Brown's best OOC win is... Villanova? Vermont? Bryant? Pr, P, C, Y, H all have better OOC wins. I think H is out solely because at least one of the usual suspects will get in deserving or no, but if Brown loses Friday I can imagine only the other 3 tourney teams + Pr getting bids. I'll be ticked, but I'm just throwing out a worst-case scenario/committee reasoning for not getting 5 teams.
No way Brown gets left out. Too many top 5 and top 10 wins. They are the Ivy League analog of previous seasons where an ACC team started slow, but got rolling late and did some damage in the NCAA’s.
Agreed. Any 'eye test' that would be used to favor the also-ran ACC teams would have to look even more favorably at Brown.
Watching the UNC /Duke game (the 3rd and 4th best ACC teams). Either of these teams would beat any of the IVY League squads 7 or 8 times out of 10 games. Quality simply, not even close athletically and skill wise. RPI is just catnip bait for the Jock-Sniffing denizens glued to their computers playing fantasy lax and fantasy football. UNC has already bounced Brown 14 to 11 and that was early in the year. ACC Teams are built to peak at Tourney time. No wonder you guys are begging to pack the bracket with 6 IVY League squads and not just your own school's team. Anything to avoid having to get exposed by those ACC teams. Full disclosure- I am an alum of the Wharton Grad School and a Penn Lax fan and will tell you that Penn would lose to any ACC team except possibly 'Cuse.
Wow, please avoid looking at my new top25 when it comes out.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
YOUR top25? WOW! Not only did I fail to realize you published a top25, but I never even heard of who you.
Unless, that is, you are that guy who invented that "Willie and the Hand Jive" dance back in the 60's?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEeeGMpM_Nk

If that is the case, I stand corrected. I will, never the less, "avoid looking at your top25," as you request, "when it comes out."
Wait, you never heard of me? I played QB for the NY JETS after being drafted #1 out of Alabama in the 60's and 70's. I threw to guys named Sauer an Maynard. Then I Matriculated to Ithaca.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Very interesting!
How the hell did you manage to get into the HOF when throwing 220 interceptions and only 173 TDs?
RopeUnit

Post by RopeUnit »

GSP wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:54 am
Besides the obvious terror induced by having your school's team being forced to face the Genghis Khan, full-on, Mongol Horde, onslaught of an ACC opponent, why is it so absolutely crucial for you guys to not only see your own school's team get in, but the bracket filled with the rest of the IVY League teams getting in as well? To dispense with the blatant smokescreen, is it not because you KNOW that a field filled with Ivy League opponents and AQs represent a significantly weaker challenge to your own school's team chances to go all the way?
No result would surprise me in an ACC-Ivy game. I could see either team winning by multiple goals if we get Duke v Yale, or Princeton v ND or Brown v UVA. Anything can happen. I certainly don't think Penn is afraid to draw Duke, who they have already dispatched this year.
GSP

Post by GSP »

Mid-Lax wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:05 pm GSP, what a joker. ACC will get what it deserves. One team, maybe two. My, how the winds have changed. Better be on the lookout for freshmen stars in the Ivy League. I expect they will quickly flip flop your ACC arrogance.
The fact that you refused to answer, let alone address, my question, is an answer in itself.

UVA, Duke, and ND would beat any of the Ivy's 7 or 8 games out of 10. Why else would you guys be so adamant that they do not get in?
GSP

Post by GSP »

RopeUnit wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:12 pm
No result would surprise me in an ACC-Ivy game. I could see either team winning by multiple goals if we get Duke v Yale, or Princeton v ND or Brown v UVA. Anything can happen. I certainly don't think Penn is afraid to draw Duke, who they have already dispatched this year.
By your logic even ACC 4th place UNC would not fear your #1 Brown team who UNC "already dispatched this year" by a margin of 3 times as many goals as Penn beat Duke.
Last edited by GSP on Mon May 02, 2022 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RopeUnit

Post by RopeUnit »

GSP wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:17 pm Sun May 01, 2022 5:05 pm
bearlaxfan wrote: ↑Sun May 01, 2022 4:54 pm
Brown's best OOC win is... Villanova? Vermont? Bryant? Pr, P, C, Y, H all have better OOC wins. I think H is out solely because at least one of the usual suspects will get in deserving or no, but if Brown loses Friday I can imagine only the other 3 tourney teams + Pr getting bids. I'll be ticked, but I'm just throwing out a worst-case scenario/committee reasoning for not getting 5 teams.
No way Brown gets left out. Too many top 5 and top 10 wins. They are the Ivy League analog of previous seasons where an ACC team started slow, but got rolling late and did some damage in the NCAA’s.
Agreed. Any 'eye test' that would be used to favor the also-ran ACC teams would have to look even more favorably at Brown.
Watching the UNC /Duke game (the 3rd and 4th best ACC teams). Either of these teams would beat any of the IVY League squads 7 or 8 times out of 10 games. Quality simply, not even close athletically and skill wise. RPI is just catnip bait for the Jock-Sniffing denizens glued to their computers playing fantasy lax and fantasy football. UNC has already bounced Brown 14 to 11
Correct. I don't think either the ACC or the Ivy has awe inspiring talent that other teams fear. There is only one team I don't want to play and that is Maryland.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

GSP wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:13 pm
Mid-Lax wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:05 pm GSP, what a joker. ACC will get what it deserves. One team, maybe two. My, how the winds have changed. Better be on the lookout for freshmen stars in the Ivy League. I expect they will quickly flip flop your ACC arrogance.
The fact that you refused to answer, let alone address, my question, is an answer in itself.

UVA, Duke, and ND would beat any of the Ivy's 7 or 8 games out of 10. Why else would you guys be so adamant that they do not get in?
I orchestrated the greatest sports upset in history and changed the most important sport in America forever. I had the greatest release of a football known to mankind, and could read defenses like Hawkins reads derivative equations.
I now reside in Ithaca where the 2022 National Champion D1 Lacrosse team calls home.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
GSP

Post by GSP »

RopeUnit wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:19 pm
GSP wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:17 pm Sun May 01, 2022 5:05 pm
bearlaxfan wrote: ↑Sun May 01, 2022 4:54 pm
Brown's best OOC win is... Villanova? Vermont? Bryant? Pr, P, C, Y, H all have better OOC wins. I think H is out solely because at least one of the usual suspects will get in deserving or no, but if Brown loses Friday I can imagine only the other 3 tourney teams + Pr getting bids. I'll be ticked, but I'm just throwing out a worst-case scenario/committee reasoning for not getting 5 teams.
Watching the UNC /Duke game (the 3rd and 4th best ACC teams). Either of these teams would beat any of the IVY League squads 7 or 8 times out of 10 games. Quality simply, not even close athletically and skill wise. RPI is just catnip bait for the Jock-Sniffing denizens glued to their computers playing fantasy lax and fantasy football. UNC has already bounced Brown 14 to 11
Correct. I don't think either the ACC or the Ivy has awe inspiring talent that other teams fear. There is only one team I don't want to play and that is Maryland.
Absolutely true, but I really do want to see a UVA/Maryland rematch. To be the best you need to play the best. A Finals with both teams at full strength would be a must see and great for the sport.
PicLax

Post by PicLax »

Virginia is in. Five Ivy’s are in (4 tournament plus Princeton). Assuming Maryland and Georgetown win conference tournaments, it will come down to 3 spots among the following 5: Duke, ND, Rutgers, OSU, Harvard. Winner of Duke/ND in, loser out. Winner of Rutgers / OSU in, loser out (Rutgers might be able to survive a loss, but wouldn’t count on it). Leaves Harvard for the final spot.
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

GSP, you deserve nary a response, as does multi-ACC team post-season participation - not deserved. Assuming your best team is Virginia, their best win is versus #13 ND. Good for Duke for their quality win over #9 Brown. Overall, one of these should get an at-large bid unless an unofficial retake by the committee bestows charity to the underperfoming 2022 third tier league.
Last edited by Mid-Lax on Mon May 02, 2022 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lux et veritas
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

The Mongol Horde is 10-8 against the Ivies since 2018. Two of those wins came against Dartmouth which did not win an Ivy game during that period. The ACC bubble teams have not fared well over the past two seasons: UVA is 0-2, Duke is 0-2 and ND is 0-0. Why would Ivy fans fear the ACC in general and this year in particular when every poll, RPI ranking and respected commentator agrees that this is a down year for the ACC? The idea that "GSP says he has a hunch and a 20/20 eye test" does not invoke fear among the Ivies. What you are sensing from this group is a certain degree of paranoia that the cache of the ACC and the politics of the NCAA selection process have historically screwed the Ivies.
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

I'd hope the committee goes on merit per their established rules. Eye test (Quintism) and history should not even be in the picture.
Lux et veritas
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Mid-Lax wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:07 pm I'd hope the committee goes on merit per their established rules. Eye test (Quintism) and history should not even be in the picture.
+1
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

PicLax wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:14 pm Virginia is in. Five Ivy’s are in (4 tournament plus Princeton). Assuming Maryland and Georgetown win conference tournaments, it will come down to 3 spots among the following 5: Duke, ND, Rutgers, OSU, Harvard. Winner of Duke/ND in, loser out. Winner of Rutgers / OSU in, loser out (Rutgers might be able to survive a loss, but wouldn’t count on it). Leaves Harvard for the final spot.
harvard's likely toast unless notre dame and ohio st. both lose.
Laxman23

Post by Laxman23 »

Can opener supports the IVY league stating that since 2018 the almighty ACC is 10-8 against the IVY but two of those wins were against Dartmouth. No disrespect to Dartmouth as they are improving but they have not won an Ivy league lacrosse game since 2015! Dartmouth’s promising freshman class were in sixth grade the last time Dartmouth won an IL game.
This year the ACC is 1-2 against the IL. Anyone who is questioning whether or not the IL is having a special year is fooling themselves. Georgetown is number two at 13-1. Who did they lose to? Princeton. Rutgers is ranked #4 with two losses. Who did they lose to? Maryland and Princeton. Princeton is a great team yet despite beating RU and GT they did not make the ILT.
Patriot League leading BU is 0-3 against the IL.
There is a fair amount of anti IL trolling because of the IL success this year. It is my sincere hope that as many of the IL teams as possible make the NCAA tournament and may they all do well! The concern is the historical ACC bias and the tradition of teams such as Cornell and Rutgers getting screwed in prior years when objectively their on field performance deserved an NCAA bid that was not granted because of eye-test nonsense and historical bias.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Bearfan wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:20 pm Can opener supports the IVY league stating that since 2018 the almighty ACC is 10-8 against the IVY but two of those wins were against Dartmouth. No disrespect to Dartmouth as they are improving but they have not won an Ivy league lacrosse game since 2015! Dartmouth’s promising freshman class were in sixth grade the last time Dartmouth won an IL game.
This year the ACC is 1-2 against the IL. Anyone who is questioning whether or not the IL is having a special year is fooling themselves. Georgetown is number two at 13-1. Who did they lose to? Princeton. Rutgers is ranked #4 with two losses. Who did they lose to? Maryland and Princeton. Princeton is a great team yet despite beating RU and GT they did not make the ILT.
Patriot League leading BU is 0-3 against the IL.
There is a fair amount of anti IL trolling because of the IL success this year. It is my sincere hope that as many of the IL teams as possible make the NCAA tournament and may they all do well! The concern is the historical ACC bias and the tradition of teams such as Cornell and Rutgers getting screwed in prior years when objectively their on field performance deserved an NCAA bid that was not granted because of eye-test nonsense and historical bias.
how far back are we going? we are only talking about potential bias in years 2016 and before, correct?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”