Facegram & Instabook

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Peter Brown

Re: Facegram & Instabook

Post by Peter Brown »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:13 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:12 pm Made this one for MDLaxFan: Love ya my friend. ;) :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Made my day!

Joe

God, this is superb!!!!

:lol:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Why Twitter 'failed', past tense. What happens when a private company tries to rule and control: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cc_jGiLlsoN/
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

youthathletics wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:24 am Why Twitter 'failed', past tense. What happens when a private company tries to rule and control: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cc_jGiLlsoN/

The extended video is so good.

FLP are simply unaware of their weaknesses.
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:24 am Why Twitter 'failed', past tense. What happens when a private company tries to rule and control: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cc_jGiLlsoN/
:lol: I find it utterly hilarious that Americans HONESTLY think that twitter (or facebook, snapchat, instagram...for that matter) is supposed to be a benign, happy-rainbows, non-profit company that's there for the good of mankind.

For me? My question is: how did we get so dumb as a country that we'd think that? Twitter isn't a town square, fellas. It's a FOR PROFIT CORPORATION that could give two *hits about anything other than money.

Know how I know this? They sold to the highest bidder without hesitation. Scoreboard. Seems 'sticking it to conservatives" didn't matter to them anymore, and they sold. Immediately.

So Maher and everyone else are holding twitter to an entirely made up, imaginary, mythical standard that has NEVER existed. Fairness? They don't care about fairness, FFS. They care about share price. That's it.

And again---this applies to Facebook and the rest of them. Twitter sells their users to advertisers. That's it. That's the model.

And that won't change with Musk in charge.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 12:19 pm
:lol: I find it utterly hilarious that Americans HONESTLY think that twitter (or facebook, snapchat, instagram...for that matter) is supposed to be a benign, happy-rainbows, non-profit company that's there for the good of mankind.

For me? My question is: how did we get so dumb as a country that we'd think that? Twitter isn't a town square, fellas. It's a FOR PROFIT CORPORATION that could give two *hits about anything other than money.

Know how I know this? They sold to the highest bidder without hesitation. Scoreboard. Seems 'sticking it to conservatives" didn't matter to them anymore, and they sold. Immediately.

So Maher and everyone else are holding twitter to an entirely made up, imaginary, mythical standard that has NEVER existed. Fairness? They don't care about fairness, FFS. They care about share price. That's it.

And again---this applies to Facebook and the rest of them. Twitter sells their users to advertisers. That's it. That's the model.

And that won't change with Musk in charge.
:lol: You are the only one bringing up the financial side of this....why?, no one else did nor did Bill in that very short clip. The entire argument HAS ALWAYS BEEN, that they promote themselves as a "town square", and then silence you if they disagree...you know, like good libs like to do. Then when the new buyer says he wants it to be as originally intended, "a town square of free speech", you bust his balls, then claim it was only about money for twitter, yet, why would they intentionally slit the throat of 50% of their market if they truly cared only about money.....yea, you know why, b/c what they where doing worked, until it no longer did.

And in the same breath, you preach "if you don't like it go start your own twitter", and now that someone buys them, you spin it back to being solely about money for twitter.

Sometimes I think you just like to challenge yourself to see if you can get others twisted up in solving your mind pretzel presentation; it is fun, sometimes. :lol: ;)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

When did Twitter promote themselves as the "town square"?
When they wanted to not have Section 230 repealed???

I'm fine with whatever they do as long as they're liable for the damage done when their algorithms select and promote the most heavily damaging content just because it generates the most 'reaction'.

A fan is right, the current Twitter ownership and management have never cared about anything more than $, they certainly weren't in it for ideological reasons, whether neutral or skewed, they're all about monetizing the eyeballs...that's it.

If Musk isn't in it for the same reason, given the price he's paid, he'll lose his shirt on it. So, don't expect some sort of benign set of motivations from him, he'll be looking to monetize the platform (and its users-us) as aggressively as possible...the good news is that he may come up with some novel, and potentially beneficial to the consumer, ways of doing so.

Hopefully that'll be the way it plays out.

But I want to see the platforms lose their Section 230 protection, and have to operate like any other corporation.
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:01 pm :lol: You are the only one bringing up the financial side of this....why?,
Because we're expecting these companies to be a force for good....when it's obvious that they aren't.
youthathletics wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:01 pm no one else did nor did Bill in that very short clip. The entire argument HAS ALWAYS BEEN, that they promote themselves as a "town square"
:lol: You know any town squares with a :lol: $37Billion market cap. OF COURSE that is twitter's pitch.

You know any Town Square that manipulates what you see in order to better serve the Town Square's advertisers, YA?

Yeah, me neither. So maybe----and I"m going out on a limb here----you shouldn't believe what twitter is telling you. Just a thought.
youthathletics wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:01 pm Then when the new buyer says he wants it to be as originally intended, "a town square of free speech", you bust his balls, then claim it was only about money for twitter, yet, why would they intentionally slit the throat of 50% of their market if they truly cared only about money.
This comment tells me that you have paid ZERO attention to their share price. When did they reject that Hunter Biden story, YA? Sept of 2020, right? Stock was at 43. Fast forward to 2021, and it peaked at $77 AFTER they supposedly "intentionally slit the throat of 50% of their market"? .

So to answer your question: my financial response is direct at YOU, and anyone else who isn't paying attention to what's really going on with these massive companies.
youthathletics wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:01 pm And in the same breath, you preach "if you don't like it go start your own twitter", and now that someone buys them, you spin it back to being solely about money for twitter.
I preach that to those who complain that twitter is being unfair to them....which is an entirely different conversation than the one I'm having about Twitter's laughable claim of being a Town Square.
youthathletics wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:01 pm Sometimes I think you just like to challenge yourself to see if you can get others twisted up in solving your mind pretzel presentation; it is fun, sometimes. :lol: ;)
I realized how you and I are different. You come in with your ideas, and share them on things like the Florida K-12 law....with no intention of changing your own ideas. You're already set with what you think.....and you're here to share them, and that's it. Which is cool....you're set in your path, and others won't sway you. And admirable way of living.

I'm here to challenge my own ideas----and when I find better ideas, my mind is changed. So I come in to poke and prod at my ideas, and the ideas are others. So I finally understood what you meant by "you just want to win".......you're almost right. I'm here to find the best idea....and let that idea win. And you and others have shared ideas that are better than my own.....and so I change.

Enjoy your weekend! (and holy cow, this ND v. SU game is tough to watch so far....)
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:10 pm When did Twitter promote themselves as the "town square"?
Back in 2006: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitter#2 ... l_reaction
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:27 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:01 pm Sometimes I think you just like to challenge yourself to see if you can get others twisted up in solving your mind pretzel presentation; it is fun, sometimes. :lol: ;)
I realized how you and I are different. You come in with your ideas, and share them on things like the Florida K-12 law....with no intention of changing your own ideas. You're already set with what you think.....and you're here to share them, and that's it. Which is cool....you're set in your path, and others won't sway you. And admirable way of living.

I'm here to challenge my own ideas----and when I find better ideas, my mind is changed. So I come in to poke and prod at my ideas, and the ideas are others. So I finally understood what you meant by "you just want to win".......you're almost right. I'm here to find the best idea....and let that idea win. And you and others have shared ideas that are better than my own.....and so I change.

Enjoy your weekend! (and holy cow, this ND v. SU game is tough to watch so far....)
Partially right, in bold. You all have changed my mind more than you may think. I often catch myself taking what I've learned here, challenging the Trump thumpers with posts and intel gathered around here, only to walk away with them believing I am smarter than I actually am. :lol: :P I suppose, in the end, what gravitates me here, sometimes kicking and screaming, IS the collaborative roundtable "think tank' atmosphere.

Watching as well....saw this on twitter. Bet Coach Corrigan and Wellner will have something say about this. :shock:

~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:42 pm

Partially right, in bold. You all have changed my mind more than you may think. I often catch myself taking what I've learned here, challenging the Trump thumpers with posts and intel gathered around here, only to walk away with them believing I am smarter than I actually am. :lol: :P I suppose, in the end, what gravitates me here, sometimes kicking and screaming, IS the collaborative roundtable "think tank' atmosphere.

Watching as well....saw this on twitter. Bet Coach Corrigan and Wellner will have something say about this. :shock:

Probably just updating his portal status.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:30 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:10 pm When did Twitter promote themselves as the "town square"?
Back in 2006: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitter#2 ... l_reaction
I'm looking for anything akin to that description in what you linked re 2006; here's that section:

2006–2007: Creation and initial reaction

A sketch, c. 2006, by Jack Dorsey, envisioning an SMS-based social network.
Twitter's origins lie in a "daylong brainstorming session" held by board members of the podcasting company Odeo. Jack Dorsey, then an undergraduate student at New York University, introduced the idea of an individual using an SMS service to communicate with a small group.[23][24] The original project code name for the service was twttr, the disemvowelled version of the word twitter, an idea that Williams later ascribed to Noah Glass,[25] inspired by Flickr and the five-character length of American SMS short codes. The decision was also partly due to the fact that the domain twitter.com was already in use, and it was six months after the launch of twttr that the crew purchased the domain and changed the name of the service to Twitter.[26] The developers initially considered "10958" as a short code, but later changed it to "40404" for "ease of use and memorability".[27] Work on the project started on March 21, 2006, when Dorsey published the first Twitter message at 12:50 p.m. PST (UTC−08:00): "just setting up my twttr".[3] Dorsey has explained the origin of the "Twitter" title:[28]

...we came across the word "twitter", and it was just perfect. The definition was "a short burst of inconsequential information", and "chirps from birds". And that's exactly what the product was.

The first Twitter prototype, developed by Dorsey and contractor Florian Weber, was used as an internal service for Odeo employees.[29] The full version was introduced publicly on July 15, 2006.[8] In October 2006, Biz Stone, Evan Williams, Dorsey, and other members of Odeo formed Obvious Corporation and acquired Odeo, together with its assets—including Odeo.com and Twitter.com—from the investors and shareholders.[30] Williams fired Glass, who was silent about his part in Twitter's startup until 2011.[31] Twitter spun off into its own company in April 2007.[32] Williams provided insight into the ambiguity that defined this early period in a 2013 interview:[33]

With Twitter, it wasn't clear what it was. They called it a social network, they called it microblogging, but it was hard to define, because it didn't replace anything. There was this path of discovery with something like that, where over time you figure out what it is. Twitter actually changed from what we thought it was in the beginning, which we described as status updates and a social utility. It is that, in part, but the insight we eventually came to was Twitter was really more of an information network than it is a social network.

"chirps from birds" and "a short burst of inconsequential information" aren't a "town square"...even an "information network" is not a "town square"...I don't see them "promoting" themselves as a "town square" at all.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MD,

You are exhausting..... now we have to define a town square for you :roll: :lol: sheesh.

A town square is an open public space.
~Livy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 4:34 pm You are exhausting..... now we have to define a town square for you :roll: :lol: sheesh.

really?

Any open public space?

Nowhere, at least not in what you referenced, was Twitter promoted as a "town square".
nope, might as well have said "in the woods" (birds) or a "pub", (inconsequential information).

Just chatter.

Listen, you're the one claiming this, not me.
It's up to you to defend what you say...your wiki link certainly didn't do so.

The entire argument HAS ALWAYS BEEN, that they promote themselves as a "town square", and then silence you if they disagree...you know, like good libs like to do. Then when the new buyer says he wants it to be as originally intended, "a town square of free speech", you bust his balls, then claim it was only about money for twitter, yet, why would they intentionally slit the throat of 50% of their market if they truly cared only about money.....yea, you know why, b/c what they where doing worked, until it no longer did.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:55 pm

That's the 3rd String Goalie, he is using Scorebreak app to provide live "film" of the game to the players as they come to the sideline. Looks bad, but it's actually providing the team with a valuable resource to be able to watch game film in real time.

Joe
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:26 am

That's the 3rd String Goalie, he is using Scorebreak app to provide live "film" of the game to the players as they come to the sideline. Looks bad, but it's actually providing the team with a valuable resource to be able to watch game film in real time.

Joe
Awesome...thanks for clarifying.
~Livy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:26 am

Joe
:D now, that does sound right.
Funny how folks can spin something like that up into something it's not...

I liked TLD's joke, though...
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jhu72 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:37 pm Reality check of Musk's meme.

John Avalon was a huge Michael Avenatti fan.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

youthathletics wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 4:34 pm MD,

You are exhausting..... now we have to define a town square for you :roll: :lol: sheesh.

It’s something, isn’t it? :lol: :lol:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Twitter is not representative of meaningful opinion or discussion. There are many more people who avoid twitter (just in American) than who participate. It is a loud, obnoxious application that serves no purposes other than to give the lowest common denominator a place to bay at the moon.
:lol: :lol:

Musk is just one more rich con artist that has you by your tw*t KellyAnne, just like Trump did.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM

Return to “POLITICS”