LIBERTY LEAGUE 2022

D3 Mens Lacrosse
ICGrad

Re: LIBERTY LEAGUE 2022

Post by ICGrad »

georgeoar394 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:54 pm It's too hard to judge in Liberty and NESCAC. Ithaca will always be stagnant in the league and not competitive unless Long leaves. They'll play skidmore close and lose heavily to RPI, Union and Cortland this year. Next year they'll be struggling big time
Not sure why you're so down on Long, who's had a great career and been very successful @ Ithaca.

I mean, yeah, he's no Mike Daly...I get it. But we're talking d3 lacrosse at a school with a rich tradition in football and baseball; I doubt finding the next "Jim Berkman" is going to be the priority when it comes time to replace Long. In other words, I imagine it's more likely the program takes a step back when it comes time to replace Long, not a step forward.

I could be wrong; I'd love to see Ithaca take it to the next level, and with the LL becoming the second coming of the NESCAC it seems like the opportunity is there. I'm just not sure "upgrading" our coach is going to be as easy as you suggest it will be.
LibertyL

Post by LibertyL »

They just need to shake things up ICGrad- somehow, someway get some new systems and get some offense into
the paint. Maybe a different more aggressive ride- anything. They have a 76% acceptance rate and maybe a new
coach can recruit better. Just need to be known for something- a type of offense, toughness- something.
Honorable Mention

Post by Honorable Mention »

Ithaca is 9-3 with losses to #3 RIT, #6 Saint John Fisher & #10 Saint Lawrence. Sure yesterday's loss to RIT was disappointing in that it wasn't a competitive game but RIT started the game on fire winning 7 of 8 face-offs & out-shooting Ithaca 18-2 in the first quarter, pretty tough to come back from that onslaught.

Ithaca is currently #18 in the old Laxpower ratings http://college.laxpower2.com/menx/rating03.php

I'm guessing the Bombers get back on track with two home wins versus Skidmore & Cortland, a week from now Ithaca could be 11-3 with a legit chance of making the Liberty League playoffs.
FosterLax3

Post by FosterLax3 »

SLU with a commanding win over Clarkson yesterday 17-6 in what looked like miserable conditions up in Potsdam. Saints were the better team from the opening whistle and shut down any upset chances early. A win against RPI this weekend would go a long way for their tournament hopes regardless of what happens in LL playoffs.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Honorable Mention wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:28 pmIthaca is currently #18 in the old Laxpower ratings http://college.laxpower2.com/menx/rating03.php
LaxBytes has them at #22. FanLax Computer has them at #15. Ithaca's Win Ranking isn't amazing, but it is pretty good, and their losses are not too painful. If they can win 1 or, even better, 2 vs. Cortland, Union, and/or RPI, they'll be in a great position nationally...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
georgeoar394

Post by georgeoar394 »

Ithaca's schedule was way too easy early on. Not much adversity has led them into spiraling downhill. With Union and RPI being their last games they'll end on a low note. Going to be a beat down versus both those teams.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

georgeoar394 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:54 pm Ithaca's schedule was way too easy early on. Not much adversity has led them into spiraling downhill. With Union and RPI being their last games they'll end on a low note. Going to be a beat down versus both those teams.
Yeah, I think the loss to Cortland was the final nail in their coffin. Nice win for SLU against Clarskon, though; I was surprised by the result.

Be interesting to see how many LL gets in the tourney.
RetiredLLLaxer

Post by RetiredLLLaxer »

Union vs Ithaca and SLU vs RPI this Saturday. Both HUGE for LL playoffs as well as potential NCAA tourney bids...Union is a lock at this point and I would think a SLU win over RPI would give them a really good shot at getting a NCAA bid and the league will finally have three teams in!!
FosterLax3

Post by FosterLax3 »

Regional rankings are posted on the NCAA website but seem to not be in order correctly. Looks like they are listed alphabetically rather than by ranking. These rankings will play a large part in who gets Pool C bids when they do get corrected.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/lacrosse- ... l-rankings
LibertyL

Post by LibertyL »

RPI's loss to Clarkson is what sets them apart from St. Lawrence but if the Saints beat
the Engineers by any score no matter how close it's easy to put them in the bracket.
Saints are getting tremendous FOGO play and are on a roll while RPI is on a bit of
a losing streak after beating my Tigers.
richard

Post by richard »

Larries taken to the woodshed by RIT. Bad shooting, missing their goalie and all round sloppiness returned to bite them in the arse. If they can tighten up they are just as good as RIT. Big if though.
LibertyL

Post by LibertyL »

RIT very businessmen like. St. Lawrence can only look to bounce back against Union. Sometimes
losing can be a tool and it might very well help the Saints against the very good Dutchmen
Tigerlax70

Post by Tigerlax70 »

Richard. If “ifs” and “buts” we’re candy and nuts, what a wonderful Christmas we’d have. Come on. Give your opponent some credit for all the sloppiness and missed passes. On top of that, Hutchinson had a great day and stoned the SLU shooters early on and they never recovered. I actually thought the game would be much closer given SLU’s record against common opponents. Tigers are defending national champs and ranked #2 in country for a reason. They are simply a better team and they showed you why this afternoon. No amount of cleaning this up or correcting this are going to change the result. Good luck against Union on Wednesday. Tigers get RPI at our house with a ton of “payback” on the line. Maybe we’ll see each other again next weekend.
LibertyL

Post by LibertyL »

Tigerlax70 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:47 pm Richard. If “ifs” and “buts” we’re candy and nuts, what a wonderful Christmas we’d have. Come on. Give your opponent some credit for all the sloppiness and missed passes. On top of that, Hutchinson had a great day and stoned the SLU shooters early on and they never recovered. I actually thought the game would be much closer given SLU’s record against common opponents. Tigers are defending national champs and ranked #2 in country for a reason. They are simply a better team and they showed you why this afternoon. No amount of cleaning this up or correcting this are going to change the result. Good luck against Union on Wednesday. Tigers get RPI at our house with a ton of “payback” on the line. Maybe we’ll see each other again next weekend.
True, True! Go Tigers. The Engineers are going to get the full roar of the Cats wrath
richard

Post by richard »

Tigerlax70 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:47 pm Richard. If “ifs” and “buts” we’re candy and nuts, what a wonderful Christmas we’d have. Come on. Give your opponent some credit for all the sloppiness and missed passes. On top of that, Hutchinson had a great day and stoned the SLU shooters early on and they never recovered. I actually thought the game would be much closer given SLU’s record against common opponents. Tigers are defending national champs and ranked #2 in country for a reason. They are simply a better team and they showed you why this afternoon. No amount of cleaning this up or correcting this are going to change the result. Good luck against Union on Wednesday. Tigers get RPI at our house with a ton of “payback” on the line. Maybe we’ll see each other again next weekend.
Like I said “ big if” Most of the sloppy that I saw was unforced. A couple of doorsteps in the first with nothing to show for it were just plain sloppy. Clearing problems with open passes just being missed without any pressure. Shots from outside right into Hutcinsons stick because they forgot that he is a lefty. Either that or plain missing the goal. RIT took full advantage of things like a good team should. If SLU cleans things up they can run with RIT. Not backing down from that!
ergit

Post by ergit »

richard wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:21 pm
Like I said “ big if” Most of the sloppy that I saw was unforced. A couple of doorsteps in the first with nothing to show for it were just plain sloppy. Clearing problems with open passes just being missed without any pressure. Shots from outside right into Hutcinsons stick because they forgot that he is a lefty. Either that or plain missing the goal. RIT took full advantage of things like a good team should. If SLU cleans things up they can run with RIT. Not backing down from that!
17-9, but OK…
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

IC may be the worst 4th quarter team in the country this year. Congrats to RPI and good luck to the LL representatives in the tourney!
LibertyL

Post by LibertyL »

I've got the following predictions for the LL playoffs

RIT vs RPI
RIT 20-RPI 7

Union vs St. Lawrence
Union 17-St. Lawrence 12

RIT vs Union
RIT 16 -Union 13

Your mileage may vary
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

SLU plays inspired with the return of their goalie and takes Union by 4.
RIT will put a beatdown on RPI- by 10+.

Saints fall to the Tigers in finals - better game but still can't get over the psychological hurdle.
georgeoar394

Post by georgeoar394 »

It’s a lack of coaching that shines through the last 13 minutes. Last 10 seconds of the game a timeout should have been called. Personally would have done it around 8 minutes when they went unanswered 4 goals and then last 10.

ICGrad wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:07 pm IC may be the worst 4th quarter team in the country this year. Congrats to RPI and good luck to the LL representatives in the tourney!

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”