Ivy League 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
bearlaxfan

Re: Ivy League 2022

Post by bearlaxfan »

Brown's best OOC win is... Villanova? Vermont? Bryant? Pr, P, C, Y, H all have better OOC wins. I think H is out solely because at least one of the usual suspects will get in deserving or no, but if Brown loses Friday I can imagine only the other 3 tourney teams + Pr getting bids. I'll be pissed, but I'm just throwing out a worst-case scenario/committee reasoning for not getting 5 teams.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 4:47 pm what's likely to push Harvard out?
Comparisons with OSU, Duke, ND; those 3 and Harvard are likely competing for the last 2 ALs (with the first 6 going to Rutgers, Virginia, and 4 Ivies).
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 4:47 pm
Chousnake wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 4:43 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 4:36 pm Current RPI correct?

https://lacrossereference.com/stats/rpi-d1-men/
That is current.
what's likely to push Harvard out?

I can see a couple of scenarios, but seems to me there's also someone which, at least if the NCAA follows what they've said, Harvard slips in.
Head-to-head against OSU could be one factor. Though it’s looking like OSU is the clearcut best bubble team, so probably comes down to Harvard vs. Duke or ND. Interestingly, LaxNumbers has Harvard having a 56% chance of making the tournament. Their quality wins are clearly better than either Duke or ND.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 4:54 pm Brown's best OOC win is... Villanova? Vermont? Bryant? Pr, P, C, Y, H all have better OOC wins. I think H is out solely because at least one of the usual suspects will get in deserving or no, but if Brown loses Friday I can imagine only the other 3 tourney teams + Pr getting bids. I'll be ticked, but I'm just throwing out a worst-case scenario/committee reasoning for not getting 5 teams.
Possible.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 4:54 pm Brown's best OOC win is... Villanova? Vermont? Bryant? Pr, P, C, Y, H all have better OOC wins. I think H is out solely because at least one of the usual suspects will get in deserving or no, but if Brown loses Friday I can imagine only the other 3 tourney teams + Pr getting bids. I'll be ticked, but I'm just throwing out a worst-case scenario/committee reasoning for not getting 5 teams.
No way Brown gets left out. Too many top 5 and top 10 wins. They are the Ivy League analog of previous seasons where an ACC team started slow, but got rolling late and did some damage in the NCAA’s.
nms

Post by nms »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 5:05 pm
No way Brown gets left out. Too many top 5 and top 10 wins. They are the Ivy League analog of previous seasons where an ACC team started slow, but got rolling late and did some damage in the NCAA’s.
Agreed. Any 'eye test' that would be used to favor the also-ran ACC teams would have to look even more favorably at Brown.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

With Brown having the League's newest lacrosse venue, Bruno is doubly deserving of hosting this year's ILT.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:52 pm
bearlaxfan wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:47 pm Brown's 3-0 against the field, so the emotional incentive is with the field.
This is a good point, didn’t occur to me. Tough to beat a team twice, especially when all four are so close to each other.
As Connor Theriault goes, so goes Brown. If he's 60-65% in saves, Brown wins. I wonder if, with more film, to opponents, if he'll be targeted... Or if he simply has cat-like reflexes that can't be predicted effectively.
GSP

Post by GSP »

nms wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 5:20 pm
Agreed. Any 'eye test' that would be used to favor the also-ran ACC teams would have to look even more favorably at Brown.
Watching the UNC /Duke game (the 3rd and 4th best ACC teams). Either of these teams would beat any of the IVY League squads 7 or 8 times out of 10 games. Quality simply, not even close athletically and skill wise. RPI is just catnip bait for the Jock-Sniffing denizens glued to their computers playing fantasy lax and fantasy football. UNC has already bounced Brown 14 to 11 and that was early in the year. ACC Teams are built to peak at Tourney time. No wonder you guys are begging to pack the bracket with 6 IVY League squads and not just your own school's team. Anything to avoid having to get exposed by those ACC teams. Full disclosure- I am an alum of the Wharton Grad School and a Penn Lax fan and will tell you that Penn would lose to any ACC team except possibly 'Cuse.
semsox

Post by semsox »

GSP wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:36 pm
Watching the UNC /Duke game (the 3rd and 4th best ACC teams). Either of these teams would beat any of the IVY League squads 7 or 8 times out of 10 games. Quality simply, not even close athletically and skill wise. RPI is just catnip bait for the Jock-Sniffing denizens glued to their computers playing fantasy lax and fantasy football. UNC has already bounced Brown 14 to 11 and that was early in the year. ACC Teams are built to peak at Tourney time. No wonder you guys are begging to pack the bracket with 6 IVY League squads and not just your own school's team. Anything to avoid having to get exposed by those ACC teams. Full disclosure- I am an alum of the Wharton Grad School and a Penn Lax fan and will tell you that Penn would lose to any ACC team except possibly 'Cuse.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe%27s_law
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Wow, please avoid looking at my new top25 when it comes out.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

.... Maybe... this is an unusual year for the Ivies. Eligibility requirements have been relaxed due to the Covid Pandemic, and there are fifth years, and (I think) that there might older players competing in the Ivies for the next few years as the Covid issues cycle through the system. It would be interesting to see a Brown vs UNC rematch at this point in the season. Looking at Yale and Brown, I'm not sure that your argument about teams managing late season "peaking" is exclusively an ACC attribute.
GSP

Post by GSP »

joewillie78 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:09 pm
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
YOUR top25? WOW! Not only did I fail to realize you published a top25, but I never even heard of who you.
Unless, that is, you are that guy who invented that "Willie and the Hand Jive" dance back in the 60's?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEeeGMpM_Nk

If that is the case, I stand corrected. I will, never the less, "avoid looking at your top25," as you request, "when it comes out."
Last edited by GSP on Sun May 01, 2022 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GSP

Post by GSP »

joewillie78 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:09 pm
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
YOUR top25? WOW! Not only did I fail to realize you published a top25, but I never even heard of you.
Unless, that is, you are that guy who invented that "Willie and the Hand Jive" dance back in the 60's?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvOuTInrue0

If that is the case, I stand corrected. I will, however, at your request, "avoid looking at your new top25."
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

GSP coming in hot with the trolling. If you aren’t familiar, this site has a its own rankings, and there are a number of posters here like JW who contribute. He is kind enough to share his list each Sunday evening. It might be too late for this year but you can also contribute and add all of the ACC teams you would like to your own personal ranking. And to be clear, I prefer my rankings to be based on quality wins (which the ACC is lacking) over “eye tests”.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

The Ivies and the Patriot League have been generous contributors to ACC and B1G talent over the past few years...
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

GSP, way to cut down RPI when the ACC is below norm vs the Ivies and the Big 10. Yes, you are right, it's all about the better more skilled (then underachieving) athletes in the ACC (one team in the top ten by most polls) and the 5th year seniors in the Ivies (no matter the freshmen). Luckily, none of the Ivies will be facing 'also-ran' ACC teams, since most of them will be watching on the tely. I would say your eye test hasn't fairly evaluated Brown and its goalie in the last month. ILT is on Friday and Sunday if you want to watch some top-notch lacrosse.
Last edited by Mid-Lax on Sun May 01, 2022 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lux et veritas
CU77

Post by CU77 »

semsox wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:41 pm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe%27s_law
Thank you, you seem to be the only one who's figured it out. (And glad to see you're still around! :D )

GSP's post fooled me too, until I looked at his past posts:
search.php?author_id=1288&sr=posts

tl;dr: :lol:
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

I'd prefer a reprise from the rapper on the Dartmouth thread....
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

I think both Brown and Cornell need to worry if they lose in the first round, especially if there are any upsets in conference tourneys (eg: Georgetown; Jacksonville).

Their resumes are rock solid, but I don't trust the committee not to sacrifice one of the two if things get tight.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”