2022 Spontaneous/Miscellaneous Game Threads

D1 Womens Lacrosse
njbill

Re: 2022 Spontaneous/Miscellaneous Game Threads

Post by njbill »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:27 am
njbill wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:32 pm Yes, great, historic win.

No offense to Kayla Treanor, but Tumi should have gotten the Syr job.

Maybe it will end up with two winners, like what happened at Md. when KAH turned down the job after Cindy left. Terps ended up with Reese and have never looked back even though some Terp fans still hold a grudge against KAH. :lol:
The only reason you say that is because she is from NJ. If she wasn't you wouldn't make that statement. You can't see how that comes off as offensive? Pure biased speculation on your part.

Joe
It's not the only reason I said it, but, sure, she's from Jersey, South Jersey to boot. I've been following her since early HS. Always been a big fan. You defend and support people from the Island, right?

Other reasons include the fact that Tumi had head coaching experience, and more years of coaching, than Treanor who had never been a head coach. I'm not a Syr fan and don't follow the team as closely as the fans of the program do. But from my casual observation, I think she's done just fine her first year. But of course the jury is still out. It has only been one year (not even one, actually). I have always liked her as a player. I hope she succeeds as a coach. I hope she wins a national championship at some point. None of that changes my opinion about the hiring decision, however.

But come on, Joe. If when Buddy Ryan was fired, I said the Eagles should have hired Jon Gruden instead of Rich Kotite, I'm being offensive to Kotite?

And, no, I don't see how anyone would find it "offensive." I can see why someone might disagree, but how is it offensive to say I think someone else should have gotten the job?

The Syr wlax head coaching job is one of the premier, high profile positions in wlax. When Gait quit, it was indisputably the biggest opening in wlax in 15 years (since Cindy left Md.). Opinions about who should have been hired are entirely fair game on this board and in general. Opinions that are contrary to the ultimate hiring decision are offensive?

BTW, my saying Tumolo should have gotten the job isn't "speculation." It is my "opinion."

Joe, you and Dmac are being way too sensitive about this. I frankly don't get it. It is just MY OPINION about who should have been hired. And I'm not the only one who has the same opinion.
njbill

Post by njbill »

laxer12 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:52 am
Testudo98 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:47 am
laxer12 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:27 pm
tothedraw wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:08 pm
Testudo98 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:09 pm
njbill wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:13 pm
Testudo98 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:51 pm KAH’s behavior after the 2010 championship game didn’t exactly endear her to Terps fans either. However, the feud between KAH and MD had been going on long before she was offered the job with the Terps.
The 2010 incident is one of the things I was referring to. Was not aware of what you say in your second sentence, however. Wonder why she was offered the job (or at least why did the Terps want her) if she was feuding with the school. Or had the person or persons involved in the feud left Md. by then?
The people doing the hiring didn’t know about it until after she was offered.
This is so interesting to me. I was paying a lot of attention to D1 women's lacrosse at this time because players of mine and players I had coached against were going to these schools. The 2010 actions of that staff - I think the attorney in the equation had a lot to do with it, but could be way off- sealed my fandom of MD over NU. Both programs had phenomenal coaching and players, but I also liked MD's style more. If you aren't an alum or don't have a child on a team you pick favorites for different reasons.
What actually happened? Can someone please explain?
It wouldn’t be appropriate to disclose what happened. It affected others who probably don’t want this rehashed in public.
Oh, alright. I thought it was something that happened publicly at the 2010 National Championship game. I didn't follow lacrosse that closely then and didn't know anything about it.
I think what the Maryland posters are referring to is some bad blood or feud or something involving KAH and (my guess) other Terp wlax alums which pre-dated her being considered for the HC job when Cindy left. I wasn't aware of that earlier stuff (and I'll respect these posters preference for not publicizing the details), but do know from a very reliable source that at least some fans of the team had ill will towards her for turning down the job. And (I believe) that is when the name calling started.

I see no reason why the 2010 incident shouldn't be explained, however. It was a huge (and very public) controversy at the time and prompted lots and lots of posts on LP as well as articles in the media back then.

Here is an article I found on a quick search (there are others, that is, if they still are available on-line; unfortunately, the Trib article is not):

https://www.insidenu.com/2010/6/7/15047 ... -this-milk

The background is that Maryland beat Northwestern in the title game in 2010, snapping the Wildcats five year run as national champion (2005-2009).

Now to the meat. After the game, NU (lead by Scott) claimed referee bias. A long-time official had reffed a semifinal game (not involving Md.), but not the finals. She was in a relationship with a Maryland trainer and had been known to wear Md. gear and support Md. teams at times. Allegedly she spoke with the officials who actually reffed the championship game. I'm not aware of any account of what was allegedly discussed. I think she also visited the title game refs in their locker room at half time, or at least there was a claim to that effect. That was the "basis" for the bias claim. To my knowledge, NU never presented video clips purporting to show calls that favored Md.

Maryland fans (understandably) were livid at this accusation. It may not have been the initial cause of the grudge, but it sure poured fuel on the fire. At the time, I certainly agreed the claims were bogus -- beyond weak (the person in question hadn't officiated the title game; no video proof of biased calls was presented).

My view is that this was and still is a black mark on KAH and Scott. I've long gotten over it, but I don't think that's true for some Md. fans. And I can understand that.
laxlaxlax

Post by laxlaxlax »

Yale up 6-5 at halftime against Stony Brook
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

laxlaxlax wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:41 pm Yale up 6-5 at halftime against Stony Brook
Whoa.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Yeah—that’ll hold up...
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:41 pm
laxlaxlax wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:41 pm Yale up 6-5 at halftime against Stony Brook
Whoa.
Audio is picking up those LI parents loud and clear
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:05 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:41 pm
Whoa.
Audio is picking up those LI parents loud and clear
Obnoxious but it worked for that call over turning the yale shot on goal. To me a few flippers and flippers (Masera) and a lot of falling after shot from Hart. It’s a wonder nobody gets hurt falling on turf .
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Thinking this upcoming Princeton-Yale game is going to be pretty competitive.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:40 pm Thinking this upcoming Princeton-Yale game is going to be pretty competitive.
I dont know how Yale even scored this many goals against SB....So many turnovers and terrible passes through traffic...Im thinking Princeton game will not be competitive.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Laxfan500 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:45 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:40 pm Thinking this upcoming Princeton-Yale game is going to be pretty competitive.
I dont know how Yale even scored this many goals against SB....So many turnovers and terrible passes through traffic...Im thinking Princeton game will not be competitive.
Yale brought back quite a few players post COVID and the young kids are playing with a lot of confidence. Plus the COVID break allowed the team to rid itself of some less than productive culture issues. However, no Ivy bought back more kids (19) than Princeton. The Tigers have an advantage in the coaching box … but some serious weaknesses (goal keeping, draw). I think if Yale can manage the nerves, it will be a good battle.
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

njbill wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:37 am
laxer12 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:52 am
Testudo98 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:47 am
laxer12 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:27 pm
tothedraw wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:08 pm
Testudo98 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:09 pm
njbill wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:13 pm
Testudo98 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:51 pm KAH’s behavior after the 2010 championship game didn’t exactly endear her to Terps fans either. However, the feud between KAH and MD had been going on long before she was offered the job with the Terps.
The 2010 incident is one of the things I was referring to. Was not aware of what you say in your second sentence, however. Wonder why she was offered the job (or at least why did the Terps want her) if she was feuding with the school. Or had the person or persons involved in the feud left Md. by then?
The people doing the hiring didn’t know about it until after she was offered.
This is so interesting to me. I was paying a lot of attention to D1 women's lacrosse at this time because players of mine and players I had coached against were going to these schools. The 2010 actions of that staff - I think the attorney in the equation had a lot to do with it, but could be way off- sealed my fandom of MD over NU. Both programs had phenomenal coaching and players, but I also liked MD's style more. If you aren't an alum or don't have a child on a team you pick favorites for different reasons.
What actually happened? Can someone please explain?
It wouldn’t be appropriate to disclose what happened. It affected others who probably don’t want this rehashed in public.
Oh, alright. I thought it was something that happened publicly at the 2010 National Championship game. I didn't follow lacrosse that closely then and didn't know anything about it.
I think what the Maryland posters are referring to is some bad blood or feud or something involving KAH and (my guess) other Terp wlax alums which pre-dated her being considered for the HC job when Cindy left. I wasn't aware of that earlier stuff (and I'll respect these posters preference for not publicizing the details), but do know from a very reliable source that at least some fans of the team had ill will towards her for turning down the job. And (I believe) that is when the name calling started.

I see no reason why the 2010 incident shouldn't be explained, however. It was a huge (and very public) controversy at the time and prompted lots and lots of posts on LP as well as articles in the media back then.

Here is an article I found on a quick search (there are others, that is, if they still are available on-line; unfortunately, the Trib article is not):

https://www.insidenu.com/2010/6/7/15047 ... -this-milk

The background is that Maryland beat Northwestern in the title game in 2010, snapping the Wildcats five year run as national champion (2005-2009).

Now to the meat. After the game, NU (lead by Scott) claimed referee bias. A long-time official had reffed a semifinal game (not involving Md.), but not the finals. She was in a relationship with a Maryland trainer and had been known to wear Md. gear and support Md. teams at times. Allegedly she spoke with the officials who actually reffed the championship game. I'm not aware of any account of what was allegedly discussed. I think she also visited the title game refs in their locker room at half time, or at least there was a claim to that effect. That was the "basis" for the bias claim. To my knowledge, NU never presented video clips purporting to show calls that favored Md.

Maryland fans (understandably) were livid at this accusation. It may not have been the initial cause of the grudge, but it sure poured fuel on the fire. At the time, I certainly agreed the claims were bogus -- beyond weak (the person in question hadn't officiated the title game; no video proof of biased calls was presented).

My view is that this was and still is a black mark on KAH and Scott. I've long gotten over it, but I don't think that's true for some Md. fans. And I can understand that.
Thank you for that very enlightening info 👍
OuttaNowhereWregget

Barring a remarkable comeback, St. Joe's will take the A-10 title over UMass. They lead 15-10 with 2:00 to go in the 4th.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:08 pm Barring a remarkable comeback, St. Joe's will take the A-10 title over UMass. They lead 15-10 with 2:00 to go in the 4th.
Wow, congrats to St. Joes!! I don't think they've ever beaten UMass. THWND!
laxlaxlax

Post by laxlaxlax »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:14 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:08 pm Barring a remarkable comeback, St. Joe's will take the A-10 title over UMass. They lead 15-10 with 2:00 to go in the 4th.
First ever A10 championship and beat both the top seeds on the way. What a great result.

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college ... ampionship
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

laxlaxlax wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:56 pm
First ever A10 championship and beat both the top seeds on the way. What a great result.

Great stuff, maybe if crazyhorse sees this they can let us know what UMass's at-large chances look like and how this affects the at-large bids of others :)
Bart

Post by Bart »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:01 pm

Great stuff, maybe if crazyhorse this they can let us know what UMass's at-large chances look like and how this affects the at-large bids of others :)
Concordia with 31 saves in three days. Nice 3 day run by the SU transfer.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:15 pm
watcherinthewoods wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:29 pm Please stop trying to assist the lax media is making the pac 12 relevant. The day is coming, but until then it continues to be an afterthought and with good reason. And I am actually a fan! SKO BUFFS!
I think the Pac12's stock would be significantly higher if they didn't spend so much of their season beating up on one another. Playing each other twice is terrible for everyone's resume.
I would say that it actually gives the top P12 teams a bit of a bump as long there are only two really bad teams in the conference (Oregon and Cal). The top 4 teams USC, Colorado, Stanford, and ASU get a bump in RPI and SOS due to playing each other twice and it being double counted. I do agree that they need to stop playing each other twice.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

Bart wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:16 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:01 pm

Great stuff, maybe if crazyhorse this they can let us know what UMass's at-large chances look like and how this affects the at-large bids of others :)
Concordia with 31 saves in three days. Nice 3 day run by the SU transfer.
I am not sure SU could get 31 saves over three games if Hower and Sweitzer were both allowed to stand in the crease at the same time.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
OuttaNowhereWregget

@inthe8m wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:56 pm
Bart wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:16 pm Concordia with 31 saves in three days. Nice 3 day run by the SU transfer.
I am not sure SU could get 31 saves over three games if Hower and Sweitzer were both allowed to stand in the crease at the same time.
LOL—Ouch
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

@inthe8m wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:50 pm
laxagainsthumanity wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:15 pm
watcherinthewoods wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:29 pm Please stop trying to assist the lax media is making the pac 12 relevant. The day is coming, but until then it continues to be an afterthought and with good reason. And I am actually a fan! SKO BUFFS!
I think the Pac12's stock would be significantly higher if they didn't spend so much of their season beating up on one another. Playing each other twice is terrible for everyone's resume.
I would say that it actually gives the top P12 teams a bit of a bump as long there are only two really bad teams in the conference (Oregon and Cal). The top 4 teams USC, Colorado, Stanford, and ASU get a bump in RPI and SOS due to playing each other twice and it being double counted. I do agree that they need to stop playing each other twice.
Actually RPI SOS calculations specifically exclude the games your opponents play against you, so by them playing everyone twice it double the amount of games that are excluded. They would be much better off playing 5 more OOC games instead of doubling up in conference

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”