Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by jhu06 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:57 am A practice bubble definitely shows a commitment to the sport, but there are other signs of commitment like the Cordish Center.
Maybe recruits and transfers worry about practicing out in the cold in January?
Charlottesville and Chapel Hill are relatively warmer destinations than Baltimore...
There's a story that Simmons got the Gaits to come to SU by telling them how warm the weather was in 'Cuse compared to Canada.
The Gaits found out that wasn't exactly accurate but at that point were already committed.
which one of the 44 championship teams at Hopkins practiced in a bubble at homewood?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

we're back on the bubble thing? jesus

at least it's not crypto
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Better than alot of topics I have seen on this thread
Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:57 am Maybe recruits and transfers worry about practicing out in the cold in January?
I get it - it would be a toy to show recruits - here's where you get to practice in January and it is a component for alot of the teams you play and recruit against but that's only because they have Division I football teams so IMO it is sensible to balance that out with other questions such as:
- Are you going to assume the expense of cooling it in the other months when a lacrosse team is not around and/or doesn't want it - since they play outdoors except when they play Cuse @ Cuse?
- It would seem like a somewhat exorbitant expense for essentially a few weeks
- Weather is variable - there were 17 days in January 2021 where the high got above 40 degrees - you can practice in 45 degrees - this year however there were only 7
- Will the presence or more likely absence make a difference in recruiting? Again, you still lose on toys. If you are a recruit and it comes down to Hopkins vs UVA for example and where he practices in January is really important - and DP or PM whomever walks a recruit around the back of the White center and proudly points to the Harry Balzac Bubble and then Lars gets to walk the recruit through the $13 Million dollar George Welsh Indoor Practice facility and tell him that he will get some time in there - what happens? You still lose. We can all list the advantages and disadvanatges from a recruiting perspective. The Cordish Center was a necessity - but even with the CC we still will never win on toys.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:39 am Better than alot of topics I have seen on this thread
Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:57 am Maybe recruits and transfers worry about practicing out in the cold in January?
I get it - it would be a toy to show recruits - here's where you get to practice in January and it is a component for alot of the teams you play and recruit against but that's only because they have Division I football teams so IMO it is sensible to balance that out with other questions such as:
- Are you going to assume the expense of cooling it in the other months when a lacrosse team is not around and/or doesn't want it - since they play outdoors except when they play Cuse @ Cuse?
- It would seem like a somewhat exorbitant expense for essentially a few weeks
- Weather is variable - there were 17 days in January 2021 where the high got above 40 degrees - you can practice in 45 degrees - this year however there were only 7
- Will the presence or more likely absence make a difference in recruiting? Again, you still lose on toys. If you are a recruit and it comes down to Hopkins vs UVA for example and where he practices in January is really important - and DP or PM whomever walks a recruit around the back of the White center and proudly points to the Harry Balzac Bubble and then Lars gets to walk the recruit through the $13 Million dollar George Welsh Indoor Practice facility and tell him that he will get some time in there - what happens? You still lose. We can all list the advantages and disadvanatges from a recruiting perspective. The Cordish Center was a necessity - but even with the CC we still will never win on toys.
what toys did jacksonville have when they put together the team that beat a duke program that has owned us for 13+years.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:48 am what toys did jacksonville have when they put together the team that beat a duke program that has owned us for 13+years.
Well, to lend some credence to the bubble argument one of the main toys is called the Sun which gets up to an average high of 65 in January and the Atlantic Ocean which is a stone's throw away. They also have their version of the Cordish Center called The Rock Lacrosse Center
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
HillsLax

Post by HillsLax »

"Once upon a time" the official start to the lacrosse season was March 1. I understand this is long gone, but with this start date it was not necessary to have to practice inside. I do not know if it is true there were private funds for a bubble, but the administration vetoed this. Again, if anyone has anything to support this it would be appreciated. How much does a bubble cost and how much does it cost to maintain? And, how much use would it get at Hopkins? Would it be less expensive to take the team to a warm weather environment for a week in January?

Perhaps someone with a bit of extra time could list the last ten national champions and see if any of these have a bubble?
a fan

Post by a fan »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:13 am
:lol: I think you adequately answered JHU06's condescending question. Gotta love how myopic some of these so called "fans" are....it's inconceivable to them that a future top D1 player would choose Jacksonville over, say, Michigan or Hopkins, or Syracuse.

After all IL says that can't and didn't happen, right guys? :roll:

Meanwhile, Galloway is laughing all the way to the bank. Good for him, and the Dolphins. Hope they make the Tournament, and win a around or two.

Post by 1766 »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:43 pm
1766 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:28 pm If you know anything about the Big Ten, it's that they share all revenue equally. I have no doubt they grandfathered in the existing deal when Hopkins was granted membership. I also have no doubt there is zero chance they would allow Hopkins to sign another deal outside the scope of the conference when that existing deal expires. It's simply not how they work and Hopkins has next to zero bargaining power. What will be most interesting is if ESPN would even want to given the state of the program.
I think your mistaking the bIG for an entity that cares what Hopkins does. Hopkins does have some bargaining power in that if they leave - no auto to the NCAA tournament. It works both ways - if Northwestern/Illinois/Wisconsin etc. were somehow able to conjure up a men's program - Hopkins would be kicked to the curb. From the Big's perspective Hopkins is there for one purpose and one purpose only - to get to 6 teams. The meager dollars - which mean alot to Hopkins - would be pennies under the couch divided by 10 or more. As to whether ESPN has any interest in renewing the deal - interesting point - I would point to the page count and the fact that Rutgers and Michigan fans are trolling here as evidence that it is as worthwhile as any program as I haven't visited the Rutgers page in many months and by a page count of 38 - not many others have either.

The Big Ten cares about lacrosse otherwise they wouldn't sponsor it. That's the great thing about being in the Big Ten. They care about all sports. Hopkins could leave, but there would be another program that would take their place. Conversely, I don't think Hopkins would be kicked to the curb when another program enters the B1G. That's not really how they roll and there would be no reason to do that.

I wouldn't use this board as a barometer of interest. Though I don't post on them, there are at least 3 other sites where Rutgers lacrosse is discussed that are more active than the thread here. There are also a lot of posts that have nothing to do with Hopkins lacrosse as I see we've moved on to the Ravens and the city of Baltimore itself. I doubt ESPN is making business decisions based off of this board.

The question still remains though. 16 claims the deal has been renewed. I can find no evidence of that and would appreciate seeing it if it were true. I'm not doubting it, but if that were the case, you'd have to believe there would have been an announcement of some kind.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I actually have looked at some indoor sports web-sites a while ago. As with almost anything - the costs are variable depending upon what bells and whistles you want to put with it. Are you just putting a white roof over a space? Are you heating it - assume yes - Are you cooling it - probably have to for common sense to use it year round - or I guess you can take them down which adds to the maintenance. I thought I read somewhere the initial cost of just the bubble material ranges from $10-18 per square foot. A football field is apprx. 60,000 sq ft. so initial outlay is in the millionish range? Hard to find maintenance costs - web-sites say they last 15 years give or take (20 maybe) It has the sounds of a $1.5 - 2 Million job when all is said and done for a basic deal??? Admittedly a guess

In terms of lax champs - certainly UVA has a extremely nice indoor venue - the question is can the lacrosse team get time when the football team is also holding unofficial and spring practices - one might think that 2 hours can be carved out.
MD - if not mistaken - had a half field indoor facility for football over by the golf course - that likely requires transportation over there since you would have to cross University Pkwy but now has Jones Hill house -site of the old Cole Field House
Yale has a multi use complex that encompasses 30,000 sq ft specifically for intramural activities and varsity team practice - sounds like half of football field
UNC has a huge football indoor facility
Denver likely does not have one
Duke does - the Brooks indoor practice facility
Loyola got one 4 years ago
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

a fan wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:43 am
:lol: I think you adequately answered JHU06's condescending question. Gotta love how myopic some of these so called "fans" are....it's inconceivable to them that a future top D1 player would choose Jacksonville over, say, Michigan or Hopkins, or Syracuse.

Meanwhile, Galloway is laughing all the way to the bank. Good for him, and the Dolphins. Hope they make the Tournament, and win a around or two.
You're conflating recruiting well with recruiting sought-after players. Galloway has clearly recruited pretty well given where Jacksonville is at right now. They are not, however, winning recruiting battles with top programs over prized talent, which you seem to be suggesting? Kids aren't picking them over blue bloods. In fact I doubt you need two hands to count the number of kids on their roster who even had offers from those kinds of schools. We'll see if that changes in the fall now that Jax has tasted a little bit of success and, if so, if they can win their fair share of pitch meetings with prized recruits and their families. But that has not yet happened. Galloway has done well with kids most other schools weren't interested in. (That said, they appear to be having a good season, but they still haven't really accomplished anything in 12 years as a program.)
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:56 am
a fan wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:43 am

You're conflating recruiting well with recruiting sought-after players. Galloway has clearly recruited pretty well given where Jacksonville is at right now. They are not, however, winning recruiting battles with top programs over prized talent, which you seem to be suggesting? Kids aren't picking them over blue bloods. In fact I doubt you need two hands to count the number of kids on their roster who even had offers from those kinds of schools. We'll see if that changes in the fall now that Jax has tasted a little bit of success and, if so, if they can win their fair share of pitch meetings with prized recruits and their families. But that has not yet happened. Galloway has done well with kids most other schools weren't interested in. (That said, they appear to be having a good season, but they still haven't really accomplished anything in 12 years as a program.)
Agreed. There is a difference between being a great recruiter and a great evaluator. If you’re both then your probably going to have a lot of success.
a fan

Post by a fan »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:56 amYou're conflating recruiting well with recruiting sought-after players. Galloway has clearly recruited pretty well given where Jacksonville is at right now. They are not, however, winning recruiting battles with top programs over prized talent, which you seem to be suggesting?
I'm not suggesting....what I know for a fact as a Syracuse fan is that Desko was battling---and getting----'the sought after recruits' for the last several years. If you believe what IL tracks, Desko would have been adding to his Final Four totals. Yeah----nope.

IL said, for example that Sam Romano was a better recruit that Grant Ament. One player went on to completely transform a middling Penn State team, taking them all the way to Monday. The other, while he's a fine player, he didn't really see the field. Welcome to D1 recruiting.

Just because IL or "the lacrosse world" thinks that a high school kid is an elite D1 player, doesn't make it so.

In short, I'm saying....with each passing year, the "sought after players" is becoming the wrong pool to do all your fishing in. I say that watching Jacksonville stick it to both DU and Duke. How'd they do that if they have a bunch of "also ran" players running around on the field?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:49 am I actually have looked at some indoor sports web-sites a while ago. As with almost anything - the costs are variable depending upon what bells and whistles you want to put with it. Are you just putting a white roof over a space? Are you heating it - assume yes - Are you cooling it - probably have to for common sense to use it year round - or I guess you can take them down which adds to the maintenance. I thought I read somewhere the initial cost of just the bubble material ranges from $10-18 per square foot. A football field is apprx. 60,000 sq ft. so initial outlay is in the millionish range? Hard to find maintenance costs - web-sites say they last 15 years give or take (20 maybe) It has the sounds of a $1.5 - 2 Million job when all is said and done for a basic deal??? Admittedly a guess

In terms of lax champs - certainly UVA has a extremely nice indoor venue - the question is can the lacrosse team get time when the football team is also holding unofficial and spring practices - one might think that 2 hours can be carved out.
MD - if not mistaken - had a half field indoor facility for football over by the golf course - that likely requires transportation over there since you would have to cross University Pkwy but now has Jones Hill house -site of the old Cole Field House
Yale has a multi use complex that encompasses 30,000 sq ft specifically for intramural activities and varsity team practice - sounds like half of football field
UNC has a huge football indoor facility
Denver likely does not have one
Duke does - the Brooks indoor practice facility
Loyola got one 4 years ago
Former Notre Dame football coach Brian Kelly still complains about the outdated and outclassed football facilities at Notre Dame (lack of training tables and *gasp* the football team and staff had to bring box lunches from the cafeteria rather than have a hot buffet inside the practice facility). The implication was that this impeded recruiting.

Enter Coach Marcus Freeman who has been much more directly involved in recruiting than Kelly ever was. In fact, Freeman states he is the primary recruiter of every recruit Notre Dame is pursuing. So far, he has the top-ranked 2023 recruiting class in the country.

Johns Hopkins has enough bells and whistles for successful recruiting. The campus has never been more beautiful. The Cordish Lacrosse Center is better than what most teams have. Homewood Field is still a premier mostly-lacrosse facility. And the new student center “they” (aka, President Daniels and his administration) are building will be one of the better ones around.

Successful recruitment will depend mostly on the human element … Coach Milliman and his staff, the current players, current commits, alumni, current students, and parents who have been part of the program.

I hope Coach Milliman is keeping his players and their parents happy. That, more than anything, will probably determine whether he succeeds or fails at Hopkins.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

a fan wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:43 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:56 amYou're conflating recruiting well with recruiting sought-after players. Galloway has clearly recruited pretty well given where Jacksonville is at right now. They are not, however, winning recruiting battles with top programs over prized talent, which you seem to be suggesting?
I'm not suggesting....what I know for a fact as a Syracuse fan is that Desko was battling---and getting----'the sought after recruits' for the last several years. If you believe what IL tracks, Desko would have been adding to his Final Four totals. Yeah----nope.

IL said, for example that Sam Romano was a better recruit that Grant Ament. One player went on to completely transform a middling Penn State team, taking them all the way to Monday. The other, while he's a fine player, he didn't really see the field. Welcome to D1 recruiting.

Just because IL or "the lacrosse world" thinks that a high school kid is an elite D1 player, doesn't make it so.

In short, I'm saying....with each passing year, the "sought after players" is becoming the wrong pool to do all your fishing in. I say that watching Jacksonville stick it to both DU and Duke. How'd they do that if they have a bunch of "also ran" players running around on the field?
I don't disagree with any of that, but I was responding to the idea that kids are choosing Jax over big-time programs. The truth is the players Jax has now were never even offered that choice and I'm skeptical that they will be in the near future. You seemed to be implying that has either happened already or is soon to, apologies if that's not the case.

IL's rankings aren't always perfectly accurate but they are generally a good stand-in for which recruits are the most sought-after. So recruits 1 through 10 might not end up being the 10 best college players in their class when all is said and done but you can absolutely bet that they were among the group of kids receiving the most interest from top programs.
Hopkins34

Post by Hopkins34 »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:53 pm
Wood Sticks 4ever wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:08 pm Sorry if I missed the mention, but didn't Desimone (on the '78 team) transfer from Navy?
Sorry - I guess I helped get all this transfer stuff going but here's my attempt to end it. Hopkins has 9 NCAA titles - in most of them a transfer or two played a significant role. Robert DeSimone/Scott Baugher/Brendan Schneck/Del Dressel/John Tucker/Larry Ledoyen/Matt Rewkowski/Matt Bocklett and maybe others all played significant roles on their respective championship teams. It is beyond my memory to recall whether any of the 1974 offensive stalwarts - Thomas/Whittelsberger/Kowalchuk/Hirsch/Nolan/Kohler were transfers - I didn't think so and pretty confident about the first 3 but again don't remember. The '07 team had a transfer that scored 1 goal during the season - Bocklett a defensemen. It is also a true statement - if you consider Wisnauskas a quasi transfer as he has spent almost all of his career at MD - that the majority of the prized Hopkins transfers spent 2/3/4 seasons at Hopkins and there have been very few one year rentals.
No Transfers on the 74 team. All 12 seniors played together as freshman. Last team the Bob Scott coached.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Hopkins34 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:40 pm
Wood Sticks 4ever wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:08 pm Sorry if I missed the mention, but didn't Desimone (on the '78 team) transfer from Navy?
Sorry - I guess I helped get all this transfer stuff going but here's my attempt to end it. Hopkins has 9 NCAA titles - in most of them a transfer or two played a significant role. Robert DeSimone/Scott Baugher/Brendan Schneck/Del Dressel/John Tucker/Larry Ledoyen/Matt Rewkowski/Matt Bocklett and maybe others all played significant roles on their respective championship teams. It is beyond my memory to recall whether any of the 1974 offensive stalwarts - Thomas/Whittelsberger/Kowalchuk/Hirsch/Nolan/Kohler were transfers - I didn't think so and pretty confident about the first 3 but again don't remember. The '07 team had a transfer that scored 1 goal during the season - Bocklett a defensemen. It is also a true statement - if you consider Wisnauskas a quasi transfer as he has spent almost all of his career at MD - that the majority of the prized Hopkins transfers spent 2/3/4 seasons at Hopkins and there have been very few one year rentals.
No Transfers on the 74 team. All 12 seniors played together as freshman. Last team the Bob Scott coached.
Did you know Bob Barbera?
Hopkins34

Post by Hopkins34 »

Yes. Panther..
78Jay

Post by 78Jay »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:29 am
78Jay wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:32 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:25 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:28 am
steel_hop wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:12 am Matt Rewkowski started at Duke before transferring to Hopkins. I know he scored some goals in the 2005 season.
Rewkowski was a bigger force for Hopkins in '04 - blew out his knee and returned late in '05 and clearly scored some goals though a shadow of the player he was at Duke and the year prior.
Look, I am not denying the impact of transfers in Hopkins NCAA history - I also don't begrudge Maryland - Rutgers or anyone for obtaining transfers. I have no bias to home grown talent - I merely said team chemistry has to be a factor to be considered. Sag came up with a pull for the '87 team - '07 is clear - Hopkins had a very impactful transfer in Bocklett but he did not score goals. '74 - With FW/JT/RK/RH/BN/DK doing virtually all of the scoring that year was there an impactful transfer? Can't recall. Also 79 - I am looking at the box scores - were any of those guys transfers - again 43 years ago - can't remember
'79 may have been Scott Baugher, I seem to recall, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
Pretty incredible player by the way. He had a worm burner that was just about impossible to stop.

Scottie was Manhasset 74. Went to W&L and played there in 75. Transferred to the Hop. Had to sit out a year as per the rules at the time. Played 77 78 and 79. Integral midfielder on 2 championship teams at the Hop.
Brother or cousin of Harry Baugher? Harry was my PAL coach when I was young lad.

Joe
I believe Harry is his brother.
78Jay

Post by 78Jay »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:16 pm
Hopkins34 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:40 pm
Did you know Bob Barbera?
I know him but we didn't overlap as undergrads. He was in grad school when I was there.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”