Healthcare

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
foreverlax

Re: Healthcare

Post by foreverlax »

How badly are we being ripped off on eyewear? Former industry execs tell all
“There is no competition in the industry, not any more,” he told me. “Luxottica bought everyone. They set whatever prices they please.”

The company’s owned and licensed brands include Armani, Brooks Brothers, Burberry, Chanel, Coach, DKNY, Dolce & Gabbana, Michael Kors, Oakley, Oliver Peoples, Persol, Polo Ralph Lauren, Ray-Ban, Tiffany, Valentino, Vogue and Versace.

Along with LensCrafters, Luxottica also runs Pearle Vision, Sears Optical, Sunglass Hut and Target Optical, as well as the insurer EyeMed Vision Care.

And Italy’s Luxottica now casts an even longer shadow over the eyewear industry after merging last fall with France’s Essilor, the world’s leading maker of prescription eyeglass lenses and contact lenses. The combined entity is called EssilorLuxottica.
Butler said he recently visited factories in China where many glasses for the U.S. market are manufactured. Improved technology has made prices even lower than what Dahan recalled.

“You can get amazingly good frames, with a Warby Parker level of quality, for $4 to $8,” Butler said. “For $15, you can get designer-quality frames, like what you’d get from Prada.”

And lenses? “You can buy absolutely first-quality lenses for $1.25 apiece,” Butler said.

Yet those same frames and lenses might sell in the United States for $800.

Butler laughed. “I know,” he said. “It’s ridiculous. It’s a complete rip-off.”
Just went through this maze...Lens Crafters guarantees your satisfaction. My wife and I ordered 2 pair each - sunglasses and clear/bifocals, along with another pair of lenses for existing frames. Discounts and insurance got the cost down to $1200.

I wanted to change the lens color after delivery...the shade I wanted wasn't available in the frames I picked. Toss the old ones, new ones coming in..no charge.

This company owns pretty much all the frames, lenses, dispensers, and point of sales...the lack of customization for frames/fit is amazingly, unavailable.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Donald J. Trump

Verified account

@realDonaldTrump
Follow Follow @realDonaldTrump
More
The Republican Party will become “The Party of Healthcare!”

9:58 AM - 26 Mar 2019
Can't wait...hope it doens't slow down Infrastructure Week.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

The Trump administration's ACA strike-down stance raises the stakes

"In a stunning escalation, the Justice Department wants the courts to strike down the entire Affordable Care Act — not just its protections for people with pre-existing conditions."

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

dislaxxic wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:30 pm The Trump administration's ACA strike-down stance raises the stakes

"In a stunning escalation, the Justice Department wants the courts to strike down the entire Affordable Care Act — not just its protections for people with pre-existing conditions."

Thank you Orange Duce. The gift that keeps on giving! :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

He really is a master of stepping on his own message. Here he has a small victory in the Barr Report, even if it is "fool's gold". He could have played that out for a few more days, by just not stepping on his own message. Then 2 days into the "gloat fest" he does this, changing the news coverage and giving the democrats a huge cudgel to hammer him with. :lol: VSG
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

I wonder how many of the folks that voted for the COOO, will be happy with this? If memory serves, his REPEAL AND REPLACE mantra was almost as frequently mentioned as his promise to BUILD A WALL. :roll:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/26/heal ... 90327&te=1
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Promises by candidate Trump
‘INSURANCE FOR EVERYBODY’
‘NO CUTS … TO MEDICAID’
‘NO ONE WILL LOSE COVERAGE’
‘NOBODY WILL BE WORSE OFF FINANCIALLY’
‘GET RID OF ARTIFICIAL LINES’
‘EVERYBODY’S GOING TO BE TAKEN CARE OF’
So, everyone is covered, no one loses coverage, not cuts to Medicaid, for less.
"I know the details of taxes better than anybody," the president told The New York Times. "Better than the greatest CPA. I know the details of healthcare better than most, better than most."
So he understands the issue...
Trump: Nobody Knew Health Care Could Be So Complicated
DJT 2/27/17

Maybe not...
“[The Affordable Care Act is] virtually, it’s on its last legs right now. [HHS Secretary] Alex Acosta has come up with incredible health care plans through the Department of Labor – association plans where you associate, where you have groups and you get tremendous health care at a very small cost. And it’s across state lines; you can compete all over the country. They compete. They want to get it. And, Alex, I hear it’s like record business that they’re doing.

“We just opened about two months ago, and I’m hearing that the numbers are incredible.”
DJT 7/26/18

He's got it now.
"I mean it 100 percent, I understand health care now, especially very well. A lot of people don't understand it, we are going to be, the Republicans, the party of great health care," said Mr. Trump in an Oval Office meeting with the interim first lady of Venezuela, Fabiana Rosales De Guaidó. "The Democrats have, they've let you down, they came up with Obamacare, it's terrible."

"If the supreme court rules that Obamacare is out, we will have a plan that is far better than Obamacare," Mr. Trump vowed.
03/27/19

Can't wait....which version is it?
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Trump's Republican death panels are just around the corner:

It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Well bust my buttons Finlands government collapsed under the weight of ...wait a minute....HEALTHCARE COSTS

Only 5.5 million population NOT 320 Million

Wonder what Bernie Sanders will talk about now.
a fan

Post by a fan »

6ftstick wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:44 pm Well bust my buttons Finlands government collapsed under the weight of ...wait a minute....HEALTHCARE COSTS
Uhhhh. That's not at all what happened. You're making it sound like Finland went bankrupt.

What do you think happened? I'm curious to hear.

And while you're at it: tell me which country has a higher debt to GDP ratio, the US or Finland?

(yes, this is a trick question)
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:44 pm Well bust my buttons Finlands government collapsed under the weight of ...wait a minute....HEALTHCARE COSTS

6ft, read past the headlines you must be seeing.

The gov't is resigning because they couldn't get a new reform, centralizing healthcare, through Parliament. They'd promised to do so, but couldn't get it through.

The current system didn't collapse.

The new reform was intended to standardize care across regions, making the system more efficient, especially given an aging population. Imagine every town and county with its own healthcare rules (or in our case every State)...lots of room for efficiency!

But they couldn't get it passed, so the current coalition is breaking up.

BTW, that's a center-right coalition, not a leftist one.
https://www.snopes.com/ap/2019/03/21/fi ... t-resigns/
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:59 pm

The gov't is resigning because they couldn't get a new reform, centralizing healthcare, through Parliament. They'd promised to do so, but couldn't get it through.

The new reform was intended to standardize care across regions, making the system more efficient, especially given an aging population. Imagine every town and county with its own healthcare rules (or in our case every State)...lots of room for efficiency!

5.5 million people?

Humana covers 13 million

Blue Cross Blue Shield covers 130 million.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

72" K.: Sanders will probably talk about you and others that fit the same pattern.Remember this lousy healthcare system brought you and your fellow travelers,bank from the brink.You should be thankful.

What brought Finland to it's knees wasn't healthcare costs.It was the glut of Reindeer meat on the world market.The price the Sami people sought wasn't competitive.The Soviet LAPPs set the market.As such the Finnish Samis were left behind.

Free enterprise?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:10 pm

5.5 million people?

Humana covers 13 million

Ya...und ?

The system in Finland didn't cause the center-right coalition to resign, it was the failure to pass new reforms that would have centralized the system rather than lots of little fiefdoms administering bits and pieces of that 5.5 million. That has to be inefficient!

3 coalitions in a row have failed to get passed what the experts know is necessary. Just like anywhere else, the folks are worried about change, any change, when it comes to healthcare. There'd been hope that a center-right coalition might get it done, but they fell short.

BTW, there are 36 separate BCBS organizations, each operating indecently. And all 50 states have specific rules, all sorts of complicated paperwork and bureaucracy required as result.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

wahoomurf wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:30 pm

72" K.: Sanders will probably talk about you and others that fit the same pattern.Remember this lousy healthcare system brought you and your fellow travelers,bank from the brink.You should be thankful.

What brought Finland to it's knees wasn't healthcare costs.It was the glut of Reindeer meat on the world market.The price the Sami people sought wasn't competitive.The Soviet LAPPs set the market.As such the Finnish Samis were left behind.

Free enterprise?
LOL That reindeer meat —tastes like chicken
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

COPENHAGEN, Denmark (AP) — Finnish Prime Minister Juha Sipila’s center-right government resigned after the governing coalition failed to agree on and push through a planned social and health reform, sparking “Finland’s Government Collapses” headlines in the U.S.

“I take the responsibility for the failure. It has been a huge disappointment to me,” Sipila told a news conference, according to public broadcaster YLE. He added that the reform “had been one of our most important projects.”

Finland’s President Sauli Niinisto accepted Sipila’s resignation. The prime minister, who came to power in May 2015, will continue to serve in a caretaking role.
Man, can you imagine, after all the failures of healthcare reform with Repeal & Replace, then just Repeal & Nothing, if McConnell and Paul Ryan resigned and said "I take responsibility for the failure" and resigned to let someone else try to be better leaders?

Finland is doing a lot of things right.

The buck never stops in R land.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

foreverlax wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:46 pm Promises by candidate Trump
‘INSURANCE FOR EVERYBODY’
‘NO CUTS … TO MEDICAID’
‘NO ONE WILL LOSE COVERAGE’
‘NOBODY WILL BE WORSE OFF FINANCIALLY’
‘GET RID OF ARTIFICIAL LINES’
‘EVERYBODY’S GOING TO BE TAKEN CARE OF’
So, everyone is covered, no one loses coverage, not cuts to Medicaid, for less.
"I know the details of taxes better than anybody," the president told The New York Times. "Better than the greatest CPA. I know the details of healthcare better than most, better than most."
So he understands the issue...
Trump: Nobody Knew Health Care Could Be So Complicated
DJT 2/27/17

Maybe not...
“[The Affordable Care Act is] virtually, it’s on its last legs right now. [HHS Secretary] Alex Acosta has come up with incredible health care plans through the Department of Labor – association plans where you associate, where you have groups and you get tremendous health care at a very small cost. And it’s across state lines; you can compete all over the country. They compete. They want to get it. And, Alex, I hear it’s like record business that they’re doing.

“We just opened about two months ago, and I’m hearing that the numbers are incredible.”
DJT 7/26/18

He's got it now.
"I mean it 100 percent, I understand health care now, especially very well. A lot of people don't understand it, we are going to be, the Republicans, the party of great health care," said Mr. Trump in an Oval Office meeting with the interim first lady of Venezuela, Fabiana Rosales De Guaidó. "The Democrats have, they've let you down, they came up with Obamacare, it's terrible."

"If the supreme court rules that Obamacare is out, we will have a plan that is far better than Obamacare," Mr. Trump vowed.
03/27/19

Can't wait....which version is it?
Your last sentence.....such a softball. We'll have to pass it before we can read it. :D TAATS
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:49 pm Trump's Republican death panels are just around the corner:

brookie,

didn't a Minnesota, young man die because he made too much to qualify for the cheap plan, made a whopping $36K. Rationed his insulin because you and your pretend liberals didn't give to craps about the poor and think it thru. Screw you guys are your faux concern. Obama is a wall street shill. End of story. HE DIED because you didn't care. Obama didn't care. We are sick of you pretends. Sick of the R and D game. TAATS. You hate the poor, brookie. you just do.

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/lifes ... ng-insulin

His mother helped him look for a health plan on the marketplace set up by the Affordable Care Act, but his options were expensive. To keep going to the same doctors, she says, he was looking at paying about $450 monthly, in addition to a high deductible of more than $7,000, which would mean months of paying out-of-pocket for most of his medical care. He opted to go without insurance, forgoing that expense to focus on paying for his insulin and supplies until he could find a better option.

Guess he should have learned to code. :twisted:
Last edited by runrussellrun on Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

6ftstick wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:10 pm

5.5 million people?

Humana covers 13 million

And of those 130 million, how many of them work directly for the government? Federal, state and local. My uncle worked as legal council for the city of Boston, loves his BC/BS coverage. Federal employees number around 8 million that have BC/BS. How many companies, that derive 85 percent, or more, of their income from government contracts use BC/BS? Besides the obvious military killing industry, what insurance does Amazingon, Google and Microsoft? Yup, BC/BS. They get huge government contracts all the time.
Point is, the government already funds healthcare, either directly or 2nd degrees of separation.

Single payer NOW.

Return to “POLITICS”