Where do you live . . . ?
Sagittarius A*

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by Sagittarius A* »

10stone5 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:29 pm
a fan wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:09 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:11 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:05 pm
Homer wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:59 pm Always forget that Dressel was enrolled at Harvard (aka, the “lost cause” of college lacrosse). However, am I correct in that Dressel never played at Harvard?
Well he was a 1st team All American at Hopkins his freshmen year so I don't think so
He never played at Harvard, which is why he had 4 years of eligibility at Hopkins and became one of the very few 4-time first team AAs in the sport. I do believe he played club lacrosse before coming to Hopkins though.
He was at Harvard for fall, and arrived at Hopkins for spring.....so no fall ball, straight to a 1st team AA performance as a freshman. Pretty crazy. John Tucker, the Towson transfer arrived the next year, 84.
Dressel, still one of the best midfielders I’ve ever seen.
He tried mightily to win that ‘83 finals on his own.
And that ‘84 team was close to perfection.
Dressel, Wood, DeTo, Quinn, Tucker, Krumenacker. It wasn't fair.
Del's stats were eye popping but it was amazing to see him play. He could take over a game.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:00 pm I see the Ravens just committed franchise suicide.
They must have called Jenn Baker and asked how best to screw up their team.
Is there anyone more stupid in Baltimore than Eric DeCosta?
what move didnt you like?
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HillsLax wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:03 pm "Is there anyone more stupid in Baltimore than Eric DeCosta?"

OMG. The Ravens have glaring needs on both sides of the ball but they draft a safety with their top pick when they've got 5 safeties on the roster who are all pretty good. So stupid. Beyond stupid. They desperately needed corner, edge, ILB, D-line, OT and Center.....Jesus.
It gets better. Then he trades his start quarterback's (who hasn't signed yet) favorite receiver away. Can you get any dumber?
ED makes JB and RD look like geniuses.
Where's Forrest Gump when you need him?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:05 pm
Homer wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:59 pm Always forget that Dressel was enrolled at Harvard (aka, the “lost cause” of college lacrosse). However, am I correct in that Dressel never played at Harvard?
Well he was a 1st team All American at Hopkins his freshmen year so I don't think so
He never played at Harvard, which is why he had 4 years of eligibility at Hopkins and became one of the very few 4-time first team AAs in the sport. I do believe he played club lacrosse before coming to Hopkins though.
He was at Harvard for fall, and arrived at Hopkins for spring.....so no fall ball, straight to a 1st team AA performance as a freshman. Pretty crazy. John Tucker, the Towson transfer arrived the next year, 84.
Del's stats were eye popping but it was amazing to see him play. He could take over a game.
Dressel was legendary. I idolized him and had never seen him play.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:13 pm
HillsLax wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:03 pm "Is there anyone more stupid in Baltimore than Eric DeCosta?"

OMG. The Ravens have glaring needs on both sides of the ball but they draft a safety with their top pick when they've got 5 safeties on the roster who are all pretty good. So stupid. Beyond stupid. They desperately needed corner, edge, ILB, D-line, OT and Center.....Jesus.
It gets better. Then he trades his start quarterback's (who hasn't signed yet) favorite receiver away. Can you get any dumber?
chill tf out dude. Ravens didn't want to pay hollywood. you may have noticed the WR market is super inflated right now and Hollywood hasn't proven to be a true #1. Also Ravens policy has always been take the next best available player. Have some faith and get yourself a beer
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Hail to the Victors wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:42 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:23 pm
Hail to the Victors wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:37 pm Practice bubble?
God I wished I had PM'd someone predicting this - could see it from miles away. Reminds me of the famous Buddy Garrity line in Fridat\y Night Lights:
"Tammy Taylor - We don't need a jumbotron - We WANT a jumbotron." It's why we didn't get Rambo.
Thank you for that substantive rebuttal.
Response was perfectly substantive for the original post
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

masondixonlax wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:18 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:13 pm

chill tf out dude. Ravens didn't want to pay hollywood. you may have noticed the WR market is super inflated right now and Hollywood hasn't proven to be a true #1. Also Ravens policy has always been take the next best available player. Have some faith and get yourself a beer
All news and signs point to this being a done deal a while ago rather than a draft day decision. Brown wanted out, Ravens didn't have much interest in paying him next year anyways. Why the cardinals wanted to pay as much for him as they did the world may never know, but this was actually a fleecing and I'm sure Lamar wasn't actually in the dark about it.

Now back to lacrosse discussion...
Homer

Post by Homer »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:00 pm I see the Ravens just committed franchise suicide.
The wonderful thing about the many years I lived in Baltimore was that the question, "is there anyone more stupid in Baltimore?" always had an affirmative answer. You just had to look hard enough, usually to someone involved in municipal government.

Anyway, DeCosta is nowhere near the stupidest dude in Baltimore, although the draft is the one area where his record is frankly questionable. But this was a classic Ravens pick: guy falls to 14 to who was recently universally slotted within the top 5. Okay, he duplicates the safety you just got in free agency -- so what -- you'll figure it out.

Linderbaum is trickier because it's either he becomes a dominant center or he has no place in the league -- same issue the Bengals had with Billy Price. Do you trade Hollywood for that? Yeah, I think so, because the downside risk of Linderbaum being a bust is roughly comparable to the downside risk of Hollywood blowing out an ankle or just falling off a cliff after age 24, but you have a lot of other receivers and really no other centers.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:17 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:05 pm
Dressel was legendary. I idolized him and had never seen him play.
And then they’d get guys transfer in from Navy,
Brendan Schneck and DeSimone,
Schneck could beat anybody from up top.
78Jay

Post by 78Jay »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:25 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:28 am
steel_hop wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:12 am Matt Rewkowski started at Duke before transferring to Hopkins. I know he scored some goals in the 2005 season.
Rewkowski was a bigger force for Hopkins in '04 - blew out his knee and returned late in '05 and clearly scored some goals though a shadow of the player he was at Duke and the year prior.
Look, I am not denying the impact of transfers in Hopkins NCAA history - I also don't begrudge Maryland - Rutgers or anyone for obtaining transfers. I have no bias to home grown talent - I merely said team chemistry has to be a factor to be considered. Sag came up with a pull for the '87 team - '07 is clear - Hopkins had a very impactful transfer in Bocklett but he did not score goals. '74 - With FW/JT/RK/RH/BN/DK doing virtually all of the scoring that year was there an impactful transfer? Can't recall. Also 79 - I am looking at the box scores - were any of those guys transfers - again 43 years ago - can't remember
'79 may have been Scott Baugher, I seem to recall, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
Pretty incredible player by the way. He had a worm burner that was just about impossible to stop.

Scottie was Manhasset 74. Went to W&L and played there in 75. Transferred to the Hop. Had to sit out a year as per the rules at the time. Played 77 78 and 79. Integral midfielder on 2 championship teams at the Hop.
78Jay

Post by 78Jay »

Wood Sticks 4ever wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:08 pm
78Jay wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:45 pm
steel_hop wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:12 am Matt Rewkowski started at Duke before transferring to Hopkins. I know he scored some goals in the 2005 season.
Rewkowski was a bigger force for Hopkins in '04 - blew out his knee and returned late in '05 and clearly scored some goals though a shadow of the player he was at Duke and the year prior.
Look, I am not denying the impact of transfers in Hopkins NCAA history - I also don't begrudge Maryland - Rutgers or anyone for obtaining transfers. I have no bias to home grown talent - I merely said team chemistry has to be a factor to be considered. Sag came up with a pull for the '87 team - '07 is clear - Hopkins had a very impactful transfer in Bocklett but he did not score goals. '74 - With FW/JT/RK/RH/BN/DK doing virtually all of the scoring that year was there an impactful transfer? Can't recall. Also 79 - I am looking at the box scores - were any of those guys transfers - again 43 years ago - can't remember
Scott Baugher
Sorry if I missed the mention, but didn't Desimone (on the '78 team) transfer from Navy?

Yes. Hazelhurst was also on that team. Transferred from UVA
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Homer wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:21 am
The wonderful thing about the many years I lived in Baltimore was that the question, "is there anyone more stupid in Baltimore?" always had an affirmative answer. You just had to look hard enough, usually to someone involved in municipal government.

Anyway, DeCosta is nowhere near the stupidest dude in Baltimore, although the draft is the one area where his record is frankly questionable. But this was a classic Ravens pick: guy falls to 14 to who was recently universally slotted within the top 5. Okay, he duplicates the safety you just got in free agency -- so what -- you'll figure it out.

Linderbaum is trickier because it's either he becomes a dominant center or he has no place in the league -- same issue the Bengals had with Billy Price. Do you trade Hollywood for that? Yeah, I think so, because the downside risk of Linderbaum being a bust is roughly comparable to the downside risk of Hollywood blowing out an ankle or just falling off a cliff after age 24, but you have a lot of other receivers and really no other centers.
Ravens got the best safety in college football. Hardly a disaster.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Quick change of direction...
What is the link to the Jays/PSU game tomorrow?
I believe it is on the Hopkins sports site?
Thanks folks!
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

78Jay wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:32 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:25 pm
'79 may have been Scott Baugher, I seem to recall, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
Pretty incredible player by the way. He had a worm burner that was just about impossible to stop.

Scottie was Manhasset 74. Went to W&L and played there in 75. Transferred to the Hop. Had to sit out a year as per the rules at the time. Played 77 78 and 79. Integral midfielder on 2 championship teams at the Hop.
Brother or cousin of Harry Baugher? Harry was my PAL coach when I was young lad.

Joe
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Heavy Ravens talk. Tells you how good the Jays are doing.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

HillsLax wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:26 pm If you have some facts to critique the questioning of those who deride the administration and the AD, let's have them.
The practice bubble may actually be the one "Fact" that the anti-admin camp has. It has been put forth that the bubble was paid for and was supposed to cover the lower field behind the athletic center. And if that is true and it didn't happen than Daniels was certainly involved in such a decision. My small attempt at humor - Buddy Garrity was a great supporting character - was meant to convey that the real question is need - does the lacrosse team need a practice bubble? Does the University as a whole? Was the money raised including maintenance costs? What happens in 2035 when you need a new one? It's a toy - does the absence of a bubble truly affect recruiting? If toys are all that matters well then Hopkins is dead in the water. For example, I never found the Alistair MacKenzie designed golf course or the Jack Nicklaus indoor golf center when I was at Hopkins - where were they? I might also suspect that the decision - if true - had some reasoning behind it other than F Petro.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:40 am
HillsLax wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:26 pm If you have some facts to critique the questioning of those who deride the administration and the AD, let's have them.
The practice bubble may actually be the one "Fact" that the anti-admin camp has. It has been put forth that the bubble was paid for and was supposed to cover the lower field behind the athletic center. And if that is true and it didn't happen than Daniels was certainly involved in such a decision. My small attempt at humor - Buddy Garrity was a great supporting character - was meant to convey that the real question is need - does the lacrosse team need a practice bubble? Does the University as a whole? Was the money raised including maintenance costs? What happens in 2035 when you need a new one? It's a toy - does the absence of a bubble truly affect recruiting? If toys are all that matters well then Hopkins is dead in the water. For example, I never found the Alistair MacKenzie designed golf course or the Jack Nicklaus indoor golf center when I was at Hopkins - where were they? I might also suspect that the decision - if true - had some reasoning behind it other than F Petro.
-We reached page 269. Nice.
-Pretty sure the lacrosse groups wouldn't have been the only folks to benefit from it. I still don't see the reason for it or the outrage when we're playing games in balmy columbus ann arbor and pennsylvania in late april.
-There is a home postseason game tomorrow, and I'd rather win it and go on a run than spend saturday night with a case of boh and the start of 4 months of offseason nuthouse stuff. Penn State has apparently lost 10 games this season and I don't know how many Hopkins teams in history have lost to an opponent with 10 losses at the time especially at home.
-When I moved to school in the baltimore dc area it was probably redskins then colts then ravens. amazing how that's changed.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:28 am Quick change of direction...
What is the link to the Jays/PSU game tomorrow?
I believe it is on the Hopkins sports site?
Thanks folks!
It's streaming on B1G+

https://www.bigtenplus.com/en-int/playerpage/1345248
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

A practice bubble definitely shows a commitment to the sport, but there are other signs of commitment like the Cordish Center.
Maybe recruits and transfers worry about practicing out in the cold in January?
Charlottesville and Chapel Hill are relatively warmer destinations than Baltimore...
There's a story that Simmons got the Gaits to come to SU by telling them how warm the weather was in 'Cuse compared to Canada.
The Gaits found out that wasn't exactly accurate but at that point were already committed.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”