Maryland 2022

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

*This* is what the posts should have looked like before the quotes got messed up

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Testudo98 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:40 pm
Laxfan500 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:00 pm
Essexfenwick wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:10 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:17 pm MD might be that team to beat UNC. Maybe even on Memorial day weekend.
If they put UMD in UNCs bracket for a quarter final or final 4… UNC will be worried. They only want to play UMD in the final because they know it will be a titanic battle.
Funny since Maryland didn’t want to play UNC this year - at all 😆
Well, hopefully UNC won’t choke a big one again with an all star team. 😆
I added the YouTube clip.

Then there were a number of comments directed toward me for my alleged use of the word “choked” to which Testudo98 responded:
Testudo98 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:53 am Sorry I upset the manicured, wine and cheese ACC set. Those footsteps must be concerning.
I know I use the word on occasion, but again, for the record, not in this instance.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Maryland 2022

Testudo98 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:53 am Sorry I upset the manicured, wine and cheese ACC set. Those footsteps must be concerning.
For what it’s worth, Testudo – I thought this was a pithy comment, and well written.
Laxfan500

Re: *This* is what the posts should have looked like before the quotes got messed up

Post by Laxfan500 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:16 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:17 pm MD might be that team to beat UNC. Maybe even on Memorial day weekend.
If they put UMD in UNCs bracket for a quarter final or final 4… UNC will be worried. They only want to play UMD in the final because they know it will be a titanic battle.

Then there were a number of comments directed toward me for my alleged use of the word “choked” to which Testudo98 responded:
I know I use the word on occasion, but again, for the record, not in this instance.
If I wanted to waste my time....which frankly - its not worth it I could go back and find all of the times you have mentioned UNC choking. Its prob at least 5-6 times. You have more than made your point. Not sure why you feel you need to disparage hard working young women who had a few bad games. I think its pretty lame. IMO.
I also do not believe he was replying to you but to his comments about Maryland playing UNC and them being "afraid"
Bart

Re: *This* is what the posts should have looked like before the quotes got messed up

Post by Bart »

Laxfan500 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:38 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:16 pm

If I wanted to waste my time....which frankly - its not worth it I could go back and find all of the times you have mentioned UNC choking. Its prob at least 5-6 times. You have more than made your point. Not sure why you feel you need to disparage hard working young women who had a few bad games. I think its pretty lame. IMO.
I also do not believe he was replying to you but to his comments about Maryland playing UNC and them being "afraid"
I have a hard time using the word choke in a single elimination tournament. Between two equal teams in a single game takes all almost anything can happen.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Laxfan500 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:38 pm If I wanted to waste my time....which frankly - its not worth it I could go back and find all of the times you have mentioned UNC choking. Its prob at least 5-6 times. You have more than made your point. Not sure why you feel you need to disparage hard working young women who had a few bad games. I think its pretty lame. IMO.
To reiterate--I know I use the word on occasion, but again, for the record, not in this instance.

I also don't think it's a big deal--barely even a blip on the concern meter--to use the word in a sports context. It is a word commonly used in all sports all the time every day. It continues to baffle me that some make it such a big personal deal when the word is used in women's lacrosse--especially when players have no compunction about using it. In this clip from an interview last year, Sam Croston was interviewing Cara Trombetta. Even when Croston was tip-toeing around the word with the greatest of diplomacy--Trombetta had no problem coming right out and saying it. So if a player has no problem using the word "choke", I have no idea why it should be so offensive for anyone else to use it.

watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:13 pm
Laxfan500 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:38 pm If I wanted to waste my time....which frankly - its not worth it I could go back and find all of the times you have mentioned UNC choking. Its prob at least 5-6 times. You have more than made your point. Not sure why you feel you need to disparage hard working young women who had a few bad games. I think its pretty lame. IMO.
To reiterate--I know I use the word on occasion, but again, for the record, not in this instance.

I also don't think it's a big deal--barely even a blip on the concern meter--to use the word in a sports context. It is a word commonly used in all sports all the time every day. It continues to baffle me that some make it such a big personal deal when the word is used in women's lacrosse--especially when players have no compunction about using it. In this clip from an interview last year, Sam Croston was interviewing Cara Trombetta. Even when Croston was tip-toeing around the word with the greatest of diplomacy--Trombetta had no problem coming right out and saying it. So if a player has no problem using the word "choke", I have no idea why it should be so offensive for anyone else to use it.

This interview is indicative of the toxic culture during the Trombetta/Kavanaugh era at Florida. Bad juju.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Choked as used in sports talk is just a harsh word, mentioned earlier that I think it has derogatory connotations.
Johnny Lumberbat struck out on a nice curveball, thrown by Lank Slipperyarm, that caught the corner of the plate. Slipperyarm gets the win, 1-0.
Johnny Lumberbat choked in the bottom of ninth to end the game.
Both say the same thing, one sounds disrespectful. I'm sure every
one of us has used the word but I'm not quick to use it.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

DMac wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:06 pm Choked as used in sports talk is just a harsh word, mentioned earlier that I think it has derogatory connotations.
Johnny Lumberbat struck out on a nice curveball, thrown by Lank Slipperyarm, that caught the corner of the plate. Slipperyarm gets the win, 1-0.
Johnny Lumberbat choked in the bottom of ninth to end the game.
Both say the same thing, one sounds disrespectful. I'm sure every
one of us has used the word but I'm not quick to use it.
I do not use the term choked at all. A team may lose because they didnt live up to public expectations. Or they have a really bad game, but choking is not a good descriptor on any sport event. JMO.
OuttaNowhereWregget

watcherinthewoods wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:32 pm

This interview is indicative of the toxic culture during the Trombetta/Kavanaugh era at Florida. Bad juju.
I'm sure players use the word on teams where the culture is just fine. That's not the point. This word choke is a word that is used, has been used and will continue to be used as long as sports are played. Some might choose to refrain from using it. That's fine. But it won't stop others from using it, in this or any other sport, no matter how much attempted shaming, browbeating or demonizing occurs.
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:44 pm
watcherinthewoods wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:32 pm

I'm sure players use the word on teams where the culture is just fine. That's not the point. This word choke is a word that is used, has been used and will continue to be used as long as sports are played. Some might choose to refrain from using it. That's fine. But it won't stop others from using it, in this or any other sport, no matter how much attempted shaming, browbeating or demonizing occurs.
In the words of the Admin, “outta, chill”. Your hyperbole is uncharted lately, and for you, that’s saying something.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Justalaxdad wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:23 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:44 pm I'm sure players use the word on teams where the culture is just fine. That's not the point. This word choke is a word that is used, has been used and will continue to be used as long as sports are played. Some might choose to refrain from using it. That's fine. But it won't stop others from using it, in this or any other sport, no matter how much attempted shaming, browbeating or demonizing occurs.
In the words of the Admin, “outta, chill”. Your hyperbole is uncharted lately, and for you, that’s saying something.
I respect admin and I saw his admonition to me yesterday. I don't see this as hyperbole (exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally). I'm simply trying to explain as calmly and as best I can why this word is okay to use in the context of sports. I'm not attacking anyone personally and I'm trying to keep my tone measured. Please point out the hyperbole and I will be happy to consider your feedback. I think it's fine to discuss hot topics as long as personal attacks aren't a byproduct of that discussion. In addition, I wasn't the one who used this word most recently earlier in this thread.
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

But it won't stop others from using it, in this or any other sport, no matter how much attempted shaming, browbeating or demonizing occurs.
ONW - I do hope you realize you question people all the time, yet when someone questions your comments, you go grab your thesaurus and try and be cute with your responses, which typically have the tone of “how dare you”. Above is your over the top response (hyperbole). “Shaming, browbeating, demonizing”. It’s typical deflection and and attempt to confuse that’s often included in your comments. “Demonizing”? Come on dude, be for real.

It’s almost impossible to have a civilized conversation with you because you get so defensive and then go into the incessant reposting of old quotes, stupid memes that aren’t even clever or funny and then the whole conversation devolves into nonsense.

Sometimes you give great content and great comments, most of which I appreciate and enjoy. However, most times you are just trying to stir the pot.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Justalaxdad wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:47 am
But it won't stop others from using it, in this or any other sport, no matter how much attempted shaming, browbeating or demonizing occurs.
ONW - I do hope you realize you question people all the time, yet when someone questions your comments, you go grab your thesaurus and try and be cute with your responses, which typically have the tone of “how dare you”. Above is your over the top response (hyperbole). “Shaming, browbeating, demonizing”. It’s typical deflection and and attempt to confuse that’s often included in your comments. “Demonizing”? Come on dude, be for real.

It’s almost impossible to have a civilized conversation with you because you get so defensive and then go into the incessant reposting of old quotes, stupid memes that aren’t even clever or funny and then the whole conversation devolves into nonsense.

Sometimes you give great content and great comments, most of which I appreciate and enjoy. However, most times you are just trying to stir the pot.
This ^^
OuttaNowhereWregget

Laxfan500 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:53 am

This ^^
Points taken. Thanks for the feedback.
OuttaNowhereWregget

I skimmed this at work and didn’t give it an undistracted read until a little while ago.

One thing I’d like to address is the thesaurus remark. Ignoring the obvious negative implication, I will tell you that I love words and I find them endlessly fascinating. I know a lot of that was given to me by my dad.

My father was an intelligent man. I can’t hold a candle to him in that respect but I am an unwitting recipient of some of his genes. My father had a love for words which he passed on to me in a number of different ways. One was sitting around with he and his friends when a word in question would come up. My dad would get a dictionary and read the definition aloud. Invariably one in the group would puzzle at a word that was used to define the word, so my dad would flip to that word and read that definition aloud. This sometimes went on for 20 minutes. I always found it compelling. It had an edifying effect on me. Ultimately, it fueled what was already a part of me—that I loved words in a very similar way to my father. My dad would also occasionally correct me in a conversational tone as to usage, tense, etc. I always appreciated him doing so. In addition, he inspired me along with others, to read a wide range of literature over the course of my life. All to say, your insulting remark about me needing a thesaurus was unnecessary as well as false. And you wonder that I get my back up. I’m sorry that I don’t choose to have discussions with those who address me in like manner as you have here. I asked you for feedback, not bile. Insulting also are the generalizations, assumptions and false accusations which are also found in your comments. I find the prospect of responding to them exhausting. So I’ll choose not to.

As to the hyperbole, "demonizing" was over the top, I give you. But the two other words were spot on, especially considering that I didn’t make the initial choke remark which occurred in the banter between the opposing Maryland and North Carolina factions.

I’m very glad to enjoy FanLax. I’m happy to write and be creative here. Thankfully (and obviously), you don’t speak for everyone who reads what I write and views what I create in the video category, though you give a good impression of group spokesman. No one is compelled to read or view what I post.

In closing—if folks are civil with me, I’ll be civil with them. Those who address me as you do here, will largely be ignored.
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:09 pm

I skimmed this at work and didn’t give it an undistracted read until a little while ago.

One thing I’d like to address is the thesaurus remark. Ignoring the obvious negative implication, I will tell you that I love words and I find them endlessly fascinating. I know a lot of that was given to me by my dad.

My father was an intelligent man. I can’t hold a candle to him in that respect but I am an unwitting recipient of some of his genes. My father had a love for words which he passed on to me in a number of different ways. One was sitting around with he and his friends when a word in question would come up. My dad would get a dictionary and read the definition aloud. Invariably one in the group would puzzle at a word that was used to define the word, so my dad would flip to that word and read that definition aloud. This sometimes went on for 20 minutes. I always found it compelling. It had an edifying effect on me. Ultimately, it fueled what was already a part of me—that I loved words in a very similar way to my father. My dad would also occasionally correct me in a conversational tone as to usage, tense, etc. I always appreciated him doing so. In addition, he inspired me along with others, to read a wide range of literature over the course of my life. All to say, your insulting remark about me needing a thesaurus was unnecessary as well as false. And you wonder that I get my back up. I’m sorry that I don’t choose to have discussions with those who address me in like manner as you have here. I asked you for feedback, not bile. Insulting also are the generalizations, assumptions and false accusations which are also found in your comments. I find the prospect of responding to them exhausting. So I’ll choose not to.

As to the hyperbole, "demonizing" was over the top, I give you. But the two other words were spot on, especially considering that I didn’t make the initial choke remark which occurred in the banter between the opposing Maryland and North Carolina factions.

I’m very glad to enjoy FanLax. I’m happy to write and be creative here. Thankfully (and obviously), you don’t speak for everyone who reads what I write and views what I create in the video category, though you give a good impression of group spokesman. No one is compelled to read or view what I post.

In closing—if folks are civil with me, I’ll be civil with them. Those who address me as you do here, will largely be ignored.
That’s a genuinely touching story about you and your dad.

As for the rest of it…thanks for backing up what I said. 👍🏻
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

Justalaxdad wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:16 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:09 pm

That’s a genuinely touching story about you and your dad.

As for the rest of it…thanks for backing up what I said. 👍🏻
💯 💯 💯
DMac

Post by DMac »

I had a nice choke shot in hoops in my Jr. year of HS. Had someone said to me you sure as hell choked on that one, I would have said indeed I did, completely. I fouled too much to be a hoops player, pretty good ball handler, passer and good court sense but I'm going to have a couple of fouls in the first couple of minutes guaranteed. There are no excuses for this but there are reasons. I never quite bought that the O guy generally has the right of way and is given the benefit of the doubt when going to the hoop. When you both meet at the same place it always felt like to me as if the contact was a natural culmination of the play, but you have to yield. I wasn't good at that part. Further, my brother was an outstanding basketball player, was also bigger, stronger and faster. My father worked with him a lot and I was like the third guy, was more there to make it tough for him to get shots up or get to the hoop. The only options to keep up were holding, maybe a little shoving or whatever else, within reason, was necessary. Unquestionably helped him become a sweet hoops player. Wasn't all bad for me either, lacrosse allows a lot of that stuff.
Friday night home game, am riding the pine with my homies as was the norm. First stringers are stumbling around and blowin' the game. Coach called a TO and pulled all five (was a good team, we won the league). Enter me and my homies. We take the court and they're inbounding the ball at mid court. I'm guarding the guy inbounding the ball, not right up on him but close enough. I see where he's going to throw the ball and when he lets it go, I break for it, intercept it and take it the length of the court to lay it up on the bottom part of the iron. Clunked it off the bottom of the rim. One of my boys was backing it up and put the rebound (off the floor) up and in so all ended well. Pretty much have to call that a choke. My cheerleader girlfriend still liked me though. She had (father) a '66 Mercury Monterey too, big car, back window went down and everything. :D
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

I agree, basketball translates very well to lacrosse
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:00 pm I agree, basketball translates very well to lacrosse
ice hockey & field hockey as well

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”