Ivy League 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MoralTerpitude

Re: Ivy League 2022

Post by MoralTerpitude »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:49 pm
random observer wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:42 pm Based on the way things stand right now, if the Ivy only gets 4 slots I'd go so far as to say the NCAA tournament is an objectively rigged game. Everyone loved the RPI all those years that it favored the blue bloods; the media all nodded in agreement when it said the ACC was untouchable and when it said Hopkins belonged over a Rutgers team that beat them twice. But now that the Ivy League is dominating in the non-conference, all of a sudden the RPI is flawed even though it's backing up the results on the field. I just had a look at the resumes, and there are 5 Ivy League teams with inarguably superior resumes to ND and Duke, and a sixth (Harvard) who still compares favorably even though it is closer.

That's not to say Duke or ND couldn't make a deep run in May given the chance, but the results on the field should never come second to subjective judgments on potential and the eye test. Duke has more bad losses than wins of any merit, and they only have one win over a team that will make the tournament. ND has no bad losses but also has only one good win.
Its looking more and more as if one of those ACCs will be
left out - Duke or ND,

so you can bet there will be months of crying and moaning
over RPI.
So I had been thinking that Duke-Notre Dame is an elimination game, and the winner would get into the NCAA tournament with the additional quality win. But that may not be the case. Per LaxNumbers, which uses RPI, SOS, and QWF to calculate odds of making the tourney, ND’s chances are currently 41%, and Duke’s are 25%. So both have work to do to solidify their spots.

Interestingly, an ACC tournament of sorts is shaping up on May 1st and May 7th. Cuse-ND and Duke-Carolina on the 1st, then ND-Duke at Arlotta on the 7th. If ND or Duke lose on the 1st, they are almost surely eliminated. Cuse is a bad loss at this point, and UNC would be close due to their RPI. If ND and Duke both win, they each still have a shot at the tournament by winning on the 7th.

If Cuse beats ND, the whole scenario could blow up. ND’s RPI takes a hit, which probably can’t get healthy enough with a win over Duke. On the flip side, a win over ND at that point might not help Duke’s RPI as much as it needs to. So the ACC could be left with one entry.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:49 pm
10stone5 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:49 pm
random observer wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:42 pm Based on the way things stand right now, if the Ivy only gets 4 slots I'd go so far as to say the NCAA tournament is an objectively rigged game. Everyone loved the RPI all those years that it favored the blue bloods; the media all nodded in agreement when it said the ACC was untouchable and when it said Hopkins belonged over a Rutgers team that beat them twice. But now that the Ivy League is dominating in the non-conference, all of a sudden the RPI is flawed even though it's backing up the results on the field. I just had a look at the resumes, and there are 5 Ivy League teams with inarguably superior resumes to ND and Duke, and a sixth (Harvard) who still compares favorably even though it is closer.

That's not to say Duke or ND couldn't make a deep run in May given the chance, but the results on the field should never come second to subjective judgments on potential and the eye test. Duke has more bad losses than wins of any merit, and they only have one win over a team that will make the tournament. ND has no bad losses but also has only one good win.
Its looking more and more as if one of those ACCs will be
left out - Duke or ND,

so you can bet there will be months of crying and moaning
over RPI.
So I had been thinking that Duke-Notre Dame is an elimination game, and the winner would get into the NCAA tournament with the additional quality win. But that may not be the case. Per LaxNumbers, which uses RPI, SOS, and QWF to calculate odds of making the tourney, ND’s chances are currently 41%, and Duke’s are 25%. So both have work to do to solidify their spots.

Interestingly, an ACC tournament of sorts is shaping up on May 1st and May 7th. Cuse-ND and Duke-Carolina on the 1st, then ND-Duke at Arlotta on the 7th. If ND or Duke lose on the 1st, they are almost surely eliminated. Cuse is a bad loss at this point, and UNC would be close due to their RPI. If ND and Duke both win, they each still have a shot at the tournament by winning on the 7th.

If Cuse beats ND, the whole scenario could blow up. ND’s RPI takes a hit, which probably can’t get healthy enough with a win over Duke. On the flip side, a win over ND at that point might not help Duke’s RPI as much as it needs to. So the ACC could be left with one entry.
my take? if either wins out, they are definitely in. without question. if duke goes win, then loss... maybe both. it's possible nd can go 1 and 1, but not likely.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

The problem with Duke is that their quality win factor is -10. If they split the next two, it will still be negative. They arebthe only team in the top 14 of the RPI, with a negative QWF.

If ND loses to Syracuse, their QWF will go negative as well.

QWF is significantly hurting both Duke and Notre Dame.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:19 pm The problem with Duke is that their quality win factor is -10. If they split the next two, it will still be negative. They arebthe only team in the top 14 of the RPI, with a negative QWF.

from 2017 - 2019, nc$$ selection went straight rpi. that's not in the selection criteria. the nc$$ chairman in 2019 revealed they put the top 12 rpi on the board (cutoff that year for top 8 at large) and talked a little if it looked good. then they ordered pizza. i made that last sentence up.

it was confirmed we had a new "formula". if qwf or any other such nonsense gets mentioned, you can be sure duke or nd will be in the field if they're on the bubble.
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:57 pm
from 2017 - 2019, nc$$ selection went straight rpi. that's not in the selection criteria. the nc$$ chairman in 2019 revealed they put the top 12 rpi on the board (cutoff that year for top 8 at large) and talked a little if it looked good. then they ordered pizza. i made that last sentence up.

it was confirmed we had a new "formula". if qwf or any other such nonsense gets mentioned, you can be sure duke or nd will be in the field if they're on the bubble.
I remember 2019, Cornell (10-5) didn't get in, while ND (8-6) and Hopkins (8-7) did. ND even got the #7 seed in the tournament. Cornell beat ND head to head that year at South Bend. Don't even get me started on Hopkins that year...

The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Trumansburger wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:47 am

I remember 2019, Cornell (10-5) didn't get in, while ND (8-6) and Hopkins (8-7) did. ND even got the #7 seed in the tournament. Cornell beat ND head to head that year at South Bend. Don't even get me started on Hopkins that year...

As I recall, 4 out of Cornell’s 5 losses were to Yale (2 losses to the then-defending national champ which made it to the finals of 2019), Penn State (made it to the Final Four), and Penn (NCAA quarterfinal team, had beaten Yale twice, Final Four quality team sharing a bracket with Yale). And neither Yale, Penn or Penn State were a surprise postseason performer — basically Cornell had 4 losses to top 5 teams. Was a tough look at the time and looks worse in hindsight.
mountainred

Post by mountainred »

The Orfling wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:36 pm
Trumansburger wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:47 am

As I recall, 4 out of Cornell’s 5 losses were to Yale (2 losses to the then-defending national champ which made it to the finals of 2019), Penn State (made it to the Final Four), and Penn (NCAA quarterfinal team, had beaten Yale twice, Final Four quality team sharing a bracket with Yale). And neither Yale, Penn or Penn State were a surprise postseason performer — basically Cornell had 4 losses to top 5 teams. Was a tough look at the time and looks worse in hindsight.
You recall correctly. Fifth loss was at the Dome, so every loss was to a tourney team. The win over then #1 Towson didn't hold up great, but that and the ND win should have been enough with zero bad losses.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Their RPI took a significant hit that year because the had the audacity to schedule a first-year St. Bonaventure team.

I think the less here is clear: Nobody should schedule first-year teams. Ever. For any reason. Let them spin up teams and not play anone for the first several seasons until they're good enough that playing them won't harm your RPI.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

In laf’s number crunching updates as of today,
he’s got Georgetown, Maryland, Penn, Princeton, Rutgers,
Yale, Harvard as locks to make the NCAAs.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:26 pm In laf’s number crunching updates as of today,
No UVa? Is that due the possibility of losing to Lafayette? Curious.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:33 pm
10stone5 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:26 pm In laf’s number crunching updates as of today,
As defending national champions, UVa seems like a sure thing. Remember 2017, when defending natty champ North Carolina made the dance with an 8-7 record? Maybe the rule is unwritten, but UVa will certainly be invited to the dance.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

FannOLax wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:16 pm
As defending national champions, UVa seems like a sure thing. Remember 2017, when defending natty champ North Carolina made the dance with an 8-7 record? Maybe the rule is unwritten, but UVa will certainly be invited to the dance.
Yeah… I’m just wondering why they’re not considered a lock by laf.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Laf's projections are totally numbers dependent leaving no (as in zero) room for maudlin emotional intervention, which perhaps explains the 3 misses he has had on his last 56 predictions.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:19 pm The problem with Duke is that their quality win factor is -10. If they split the next two, it will still be negative. They arebthe only team in the top 14 of the RPI, with a negative QWF.

ND is not losing to Syracuse. It comes down to May game vs Duke ND
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Mr3Putt wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:34 pm

ND is not losing to Syracuse. It comes down to May game vs Duke ND
Funny. I was thinking Cuse has a better chance to beat ND in the dome, than UNC has against Duke. The Heels just don’t have the athletes to hang with Duke.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

OK, so then, let’s say lock as in the 99th percentile.
That would remove Harvard.

UVAs odds are well above 50%,
they’re just not a lock right now.
Bluecollar

Post by Bluecollar »

Where are these laf selection probabilities that you mention? Would love to see them!
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Bluecollar wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:07 am Where are these laf selection probabilities that you mention? Would love to see them!
http://college.laxpower2.com/menx/ncaapb01.php
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

CU77 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:32 pm Yes, assuming Penn beats Dartmouth today (and Penn is up 6-1 early in Q2). In that case, here are all eight remaining scenarios, assuming I have intepreted tie-breaking rules correctly:

Pe>D:

B>D,Y>H,Pr>C: Pr,B,Y,Pe
B>D,Y>H,C>Pr: B,C,Y,H
B>D,H>Y,Pr>C: H,Pr,B,Pe
B>D,H>Y,C>Pr: C,H,B,Y

D>B,Y>H,Pr>C: Y,Pr,B,Pe
D>B,Y>H,C>Pr: C,Y,H,Pr
D>B,H>Y,Pr>C: H,Pr,B,Pe
D>B,H>Y,C>Pr: C,H,B,Y
Interestingly, Laf has Penn, Princeton, Yale and Harvard as locks but none of those teams are guaranteed to make the Ivy Tournament.
nms

Post by nms »

Trumansburger wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:53 am
CU77 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:32 pm Yes, assuming Penn beats Dartmouth today (and Penn is up 6-1 early in Q2). In that case, here are all eight remaining scenarios, assuming I have intepreted tie-breaking rules correctly:

Pe>D:

B>D,Y>H,Pr>C: Pr,B,Y,Pe
B>D,Y>H,C>Pr: B,C,Y,H
B>D,H>Y,Pr>C: H,Pr,B,Pe
B>D,H>Y,C>Pr: C,H,B,Y

D>B,Y>H,Pr>C: Y,Pr,B,Pe
D>B,Y>H,C>Pr: C,Y,H,Pr
D>B,H>Y,Pr>C: H,Pr,B,Pe
D>B,H>Y,C>Pr: C,H,B,Y
Interestingly, Laf has Penn, Princeton, Yale and Harvard as locks but none of those teams are guaranteed to make the Ivy Tournament.
Actually, NOBODY is guaranteed to make the ILT. based on the 8 combos shown,
Brown 7/8
Yale 6/8
Harvard 6/8
Princeton 5/8
Cornell 4/8
Penn 4/8

Craziest is that Cornell has 3/8 in which they host!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”