Post by 10stone5 »

What a game !

Shipley,

again !
wgdsr

Re: Ivy League 2022

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:12 pm
wgdsr wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:11 pm pretty questionable call off faceoff gb, ridiculous st joe's save, then bad stj turnover.

penn ball timeout.
Hang on St. Joes can pull it off. Will deflate some of that Ivy RPI.
it's one game.
shipley with the winner. roll, bouncer off hip.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Does anyone know how many TOTAL OOC games the Ivy League has lost?
I think the number is like an astonishing 9.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Last edited by joewillie78 on Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Man, Penn came on like gangbusters at the end there. One of the better comebacks this year, especially considering St. Joe’s has the best faceoff guy in the country.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

joewillie78 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:21 pm Does anyone know how many TOTAL OOC games the Ivy League has lost?
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
It’s ten, with three of them from Dartmouth, and two from Brown. All of the others have one. Which is insane.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Good game. Sj letting Furey dance around the entire fourth quarter is a head scratcher
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Nice 3-0 OOC night for the Ivy League on the strength of that great Penn comeback.

But count me in the ranks of those who think the Ivies will be limited to 4 slots in the NCAAs; really hoping Yale will make the ILT and the NCAAs. Maybe 5 teams if the stars align but I think it would kill the selectors.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Mr3Putt wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:25 pm Good game. Sj letting Furey dance around the entire fourth quarter is a head scratcher
No choice I’d guess,
you have to double Handley.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

The Orfling wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:26 pm Nice 3-0 OOC night for the Ivy League on the strength of that great Penn comeback.

But count me in the ranks of those who think the Ivies will be limited to 4 slots in the NCAAs; really hoping Yale will make the ILT and the NCAAs. Maybe 5 teams if the stars align but I think it would kill the selectors.
Yup, and as of right now, Penn, Yale, Princeton, Brown are locks.
Cornell and Harvard need a win next week to have a shot, otherwise those are the 4 slots for the Ivies.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

The Orfling wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:26 pm Nice 3-0 OOC night for the Ivy League on the strength of that great Penn comeback.

this is just impossible to handicap, even if we knew the winners of games the next few weeks.
the inclusion of jax as #10 by the committee has made it so.
folks wanted the elimination of rpi as the metric, they may get it.
SpiritInTheStick

Post by SpiritInTheStick »

joewillie78 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:21 pm Does anyone know how many TOTAL OOC games the Ivy League has lost?
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Looked up each team's out of conference record because I was wondering too.
Cornell: 7-1 (W: Albany, Lehigh, Hobart, Ohio State, Penn State, Colgate, Syracuse / L: Army)
Princeton: 6-1 (W: Monmouth, Binghamton, Georgetown, Rutgers, Marist, Boston / L: Maryland)
Yale: 6-1 (W: Villanova, UMass, Denver, Boston, Albany, Quinnipiac / L: Penn State)
Harvard: 5-1 (W: NJIT, Fairfield, Michigan, Boston, Colgate / L: Ohio State)
Brown: 6-2 (W: Quinnipiac, Vermont, Villanova, Providence, Stony Brook, Bryant / L: North Carolina, UMass)
Penn: 4-1 (W: Duke, Penn State, Villanova, Saint Joseph's / L: Georgetown) [Still play Albany on Saturday]
Dartmouth: 4-3 (W: Bryant, Siena, Vermont, St. John's / L: Merrimack, Ohio State, Stony Brook)

So if my math is correct, Ivy is 38-10 with 1 OOC game remaining.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

The key for Penn,
no bad losses,
all 4 in top ten.
random observer

Post by random observer »

Based on the way things stand right now, if the Ivy only gets 4 slots I'd go so far as to say the NCAA tournament is an objectively rigged game. Everyone loved the RPI all those years that it favored the blue bloods; the media all nodded in agreement when it said the ACC was untouchable and when it said Hopkins belonged over a Rutgers team that beat them twice. But now that the Ivy League is dominating in the non-conference, all of a sudden the RPI is flawed even though it's backing up the results on the field. I just had a look at the resumes, and there are 5 Ivy League teams with inarguably superior resumes to ND and Duke, and a sixth (Harvard) who still compares favorably even though it is closer.

That's not to say Duke or ND couldn't make a deep run in May given the chance, but the results on the field should never come second to subjective judgments on potential and the eye test. Duke has more bad losses than wins of any merit, and they only have one win over a team that will make the tournament. ND has no bad losses but also has only one good win.
Last edited by random observer on Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Usual suspects power the Ivy wins.

For Brown, scoring was balanced among several players. Theriault (who dresses with full pads) had 19 saves for 68%.

For Yale, the starting attack combined for 11 goals. Brandau (7,4), Lyons (3,3) and Johnson (1,5). Jack Starr received playing time.

For Penn, Furey lead scoring with 5 points (3,2). Hanley was held to 2 points (1,1). My guess is that he was closely guarded.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

That's why the possibility of Cornell beating Princeton and/or Harvard beating Yale is so interesting.

No way they leave Princeton out if they lose to Cornell, even though it almost certainly means that they finish out of the ILT. Leave out a team with a top 5 RPI? Never gonna happen. Same with Harvard/Yale: Yale's RPI is too high, and their back-to-back title game appearances mean the committee wouldn't have the cahones to leave them out.

It's the only way I see the Ivies getting 5 - or even 6 - bids. But Cornell and Harvard have their work cut out for them to make it happen.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

random observer wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:42 pm Based on the way things stand right now, if the Ivy only gets 4 slots I'd go so far as to say the NCAA tournament is an objectively rigged game. Everyone loved the RPI all those years that it favored the blue bloods; the media all nodded in agreement when it said the ACC was untouchable and when it said Hopkins belonged over a Rutgers team that beat them twice. But now that the Ivy League is dominating in the non-conference, all of a sudden the RPI is flawed even though it's backing up the results on the field. I just had a look at the resumes, and there are 5 Ivy League teams with inarguably superior resumes to ND and Duke, and a sixth (Harvard) who still compares favorably even though it is closer.

That's not to say Duke or ND couldn't make a deep run in May given the chance, but the results on the field should never come second to subjective judgments on potential and the eye test. Duke has more bad losses than wins of any merit, and they only have one win over a team that will make the tournament. ND has no bad losses but also has only one good win.
Its looking more and more as if one of those ACCs will be
left out - Duke or ND,

so you can bet there will be months of crying and moaning
over RPI.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

ICGrad wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:45 pm

That's why the possibility of Cornell beating Princeton and/or Harvard beating Yale is so interesting.

No way they leave Princeton out if they lose to Cornell, even though it almost certainly means that they finish out of the ILT. Leave out a team with a top 5 RPI? Never gonna happen. Same with Harvard/Yale: Yale's RPI is too high, and their back-to-back title game appearances mean the committee wouldn't have the cahones to leave them out.

It's the only way I see the Ivies getting 5 - or even 6 - bids. But Cornell and Harvard have their work cut out for them to make it happen.
Massey gives Princeton a three goal advantage over Cornell. Massey gives Yale a two goal advantage over Harvard. Anything can happen in these rivalry games. Both Princeton and Yale have shown that they can be vulnerable. However, Cornell and Harvard certainly have their work cut out for them.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

The Brown Bears remain ridiculously hot. Until proven otherwise, they must be the favorites to win the ILT, especially should they host it.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:49 pm
random observer wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:42 pm Based on the way things stand right now, if the Ivy only gets 4 slots I'd go so far as to say the NCAA tournament is an objectively rigged game. Everyone loved the RPI all those years that it favored the blue bloods; the media all nodded in agreement when it said the ACC was untouchable and when it said Hopkins belonged over a Rutgers team that beat them twice. But now that the Ivy League is dominating in the non-conference, all of a sudden the RPI is flawed even though it's backing up the results on the field. I just had a look at the resumes, and there are 5 Ivy League teams with inarguably superior resumes to ND and Duke, and a sixth (Harvard) who still compares favorably even though it is closer.

Its looking more and more as if one of those ACCs will be
left out - Duke or ND,

so you can bet there will be months of crying and moaning
over RPI.
by who? there's no duke or nd fans on here. quint and carc? who cares?

and months is better than years. jax is #10 by the committee. watch out.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

FannOLax wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:57 pm The Brown Bears remain ridiculously hot. Until proven otherwise, they must be the favorites to win the ILT, especially should they host it.
fast becoming the no-one-wants-to-play-them team.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”