Ivy League 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
FannOLax

Re: Ivy League 2022

Post by FannOLax »

faircornell wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:57 am ...
Yale hosts Quinnepiac. I can't see the Elis being trapped here, but the mid week game might give the Crimson an edge this coming Saturday in the Harvard/Yale battle in New Haven.
Not that history is destined to repeat, but the last time Yale played on Tuesday it was a 22-15 victory over Boston U, soon followed up on Saturday by a 23-6 thumping of Dartmouth. This time around, both games will be in the friendly confines of Reese.

Just a heck of a way to end the regular season: Cornell at Princeton and Harvard at Yale, all teams 3-2 in conference with everything to play for. I hope the officiating crews have a good day.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

FannOLax wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:19 pm
faircornell wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:57 am ...
Yale hosts Quinnepiac. I can't see the Elis being trapped here, but the mid week game might give the Crimson an edge this coming Saturday in the Harvard/Yale battle in New Haven.
Not that history is destined to repeat, but the last time Yale played on Tuesday it was a 22-15 victory over Boston U, soon followed up on Saturday by a 23-6 thumping of Dartmouth. This time around, both games will be in the friendly confines of Reese.

Just a heck of a way to end the regular season: Cornell at Princeton and Harvard at Yale, all teams 3-2 in conference with everything to play for. I hope the officiating crews have a good day.
A good day depends on which side of the stands you are sitting in….😀
“I wish you would!”
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Top to bottom, well, maybe not the bottom-bottom, but top to almost the bottom, the Ivy is good, really good, the best conference in Men's D1 Lacrosse.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Brown goalie Theriault gets both POW and ROW! Seems unprecedented, but deserved.
https://ivyleague.com/news/2022/4/25/me ... nally.aspx
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

FannOLax wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:11 pm Brown goalie Theriault gets both POW and ROW! Seems unprecedented, but deserved.
https://ivyleague.com/news/2022/4/25/me ... nally.aspx
Well deserved, indeed. Amazing performance.
molo

Post by molo »

Certainly the most balanced.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

So, I think Cornell has backed itself into a corner: Lose against Princeton (and fail to make the ILT) and they're out of the tournament. Harvard too; despite their valiant win against Princeton last week, if they fall against Yale they're done.

But an intriguing scenario arises if the opposite happens: If Cornell beats Princeton and Harvard beats Yale - both distinct possibilities - then, by my admittedly rough estimation, the Ivy League would end up with 6 teams in the top 10 of the RPI, and two of the top teams, Princeton and Penn, wouldn't be playing in the ILT.

The only two potential at-large teams in the mix with higher RPIs than Ivy teams, in this scenario, would be Virginia and Rutgers, and possibly Duke (though a Harvard win over Yale might elevate them over Duke? Would they need to win an ILT game to stay there?)

I think this would throw the committee into utter chaos come selection day - can they possibly give six ivies tournament bids? Given their slavish adherence to RPI over the past half-decade+, can they not?

This is the scenario I'm praying for.
nms

Post by nms »

ICGrad wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:33 am So, I think Cornell has backed itself into a corner: Lose against Princeton (and fail to make the ILT) and they're out of the tournament. Harvard too; despite their valiant win against Princeton last week, if they fall against Yale they're done.

But an intriguing scenario arises if the opposite happens: If Cornell beats Princeton and Harvard beats Yale - both distinct possibilities - then, by my admittedly rough estimation, the Ivy League would end up with 6 teams in the top 10 of the RPI, and two of the top teams, Princeton and Penn, wouldn't be playing in the ILT.

The only two potential at-large teams in the mix with higher RPIs than Ivy teams, in this scenario, would be Virginia and Rutgers, and possibly Duke (though a Harvard win over Yale might elevate them over Duke? Would they need to win an ILT game to stay there?)

I think this would throw the committee into utter chaos come selection day - can they possibly give six ivies tournament bids? Given their slavish adherence to RPI over the past half-decade+, can they not?

I also am rooting for C/B/H wins this weekend, but I am not certain that Cornell is out of the NCAAs with a loss.
Only one of ND and Duke can win out since they play each other, so I am not so sure that the other would pass Cornell in RPI.
Georgetown and one of top three B10 teams win conferences, that would leave 2 B10, 2 ACC and 4 Ivy as at larges.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

ICGrad wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:33 am So, I think Cornell has backed itself into a corner: Lose against Princeton (and fail to make the ILT) and they're out of the tournament. Harvard too; despite their valiant win against Princeton last week, if they fall against Yale they're done.

Unfortunately, I tend to agree with this.

Cornell has had a wonderful season coming off 2 years of Covid and a new coaching regime, but if they lose to Princeton, miss the ILT and end the season with 3 straight losses, and believing that the committee will only give 4 slots to the Ivies, that Cornell will be left out of the NCAA's.

It will hurt certainly, but this season has proven that the program is in great hands with Coach Buczek and his staff and we Cornell fans have a lot to look forward to in the coming years.

Good luck to ALL the Ivies this week as this season has been a coming out party for our League.

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

joewillie78 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:06 am
It will hurt certainly, but this season has proven that the program is in great hands with Coach Buczek and his staff and we Cornell fans have a lot to look forward to in the coming years.
Yeah, though as others have pointed out, the slow starts the last three games (falling behind 6-0, 7-0, and 6-0) are very alarming. Buczek has had a solid first season, and it has certainly exceeded my expectations, but he needs to get his teams ready to pounce out of the gate. You aren't going to win many games falling behind 6-0 in the first quarter.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

socalax wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:42 am
wgdsr wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:07 am what are the tiebreakers into ilt for a 3 way tie?
still head to head 1st?
then?
tiebreakers: https://ivyleague.com/sports/2018/4/17/ ... 80748.aspx
8.c. is interesting. So if there's a three-way tie for first (which looks likely), Columbia University hosts the ILT should two monosyllable schools qualify, whereas should an odd number of monosyllable schools qualify Doctor Fauci gets to declare the winner (who would host the ILT).
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

6 of the 7 Ivies should get into the National Tourney...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

OSU looks like the wild card.
If they get an upset win in the B1G,
that could cost an Ivy spot for At Large.
RopeUnit

Post by RopeUnit »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:38 pm 6 of the 7 Ivies should get into the National Tourney...
First let’s see what happens tonight in Providence and Philly
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

RopeUnit wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:42 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:38 pm 6 of the 7 Ivies should get into the National Tourney...
First let’s see what happens tonight in Providence and Philly
...and Saturday in Albany. Penn is 6-4 (3-3 Ivy) going into this evening's game, and a loss Saturday at Albany would be considered a bad loss. I'd say that 6 of the 7 Ivies are good enough, but also that I wouldn't be too surprised if only four get invited to the dance. I think the selection committee gave Cornell a raw deal in excluding the 2019 Big Red (only Yale and Penn made it from the Ivy that year) and I can easily imagine fewer than six making it this year.
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

St Joe's up 6-4 at half over Penn. Quakers only 4 for 24 shooting. A bit sloppy on both sides but competitive.
Now 9-5 end of 3rd. Hawks starting to win faceoffs.
12-12, 0:55 left. St Joe's Cole (best in NCAA) wins FO .
St Joe's shot hits pipe. OT! Penn in OT 13-12.
Last edited by Trumansburger on Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Trumansburger wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:00 pm St Joe's up 6-4 at half over Penn. Quakers only 4 for 24 shooting. A bit sloppy on both sides but competitive.
Now 9-5 end of 3rd. Hawks starting to win faceoffs.
12-12, 0:55 left.
Penn has come from a long way back to tie the game at 12 with 50 seconds left. St. Joes won the next faceoff & called time out!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

damn. st joe's pipe with like 6 seconds left.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

pretty questionable call off faceoff gb, ridiculous st joe's save, then bad stj turnover.

penn ball timeout.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:11 pm pretty questionable call off faceoff gb, ridiculous st joe's save, then bad stj turnover.

penn ball timeout.
Hang on St. Joes can pull it off. Will deflate some of that Ivy RPI.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”