Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by 1766 »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:49 am
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:19 am News flash, Maryland's defense is really freaking good. Are you shocked the offense looked decent against Michigan and Penn State but bad against Maryland? Please let me know what strategy that should be running instead when you don't have a player who can draw a slide or beat their man.
Yeah it may be counter intuitive but this is definitely the problem I think many make when they are evaluating "what is our offense trying to do?". You likely need to look more at the games where they did well or were at least competitive in some capacity to see the proper picture of what the plan is. Doing a post mortem on the Maryland game you run head first into a skill gap problem where nothing is going to look right because we are simply outclassed. I think it was the Rutgers postgame presser or something where Milliman had the quote of "we thought they were going to slide more". Whether that quote is to be taken as "we couldn't win our individual matchups" or "we gameplanned wrong" I suppose is left to the viewer to decide but I'm not entirely sure what kind of offensive set you are supposed to run effectively against a near as makes no difference man to man defensive scheme when no one is getting the defense rotating.

The boys are dodging straight up, they are trying to dodge off a pick, from up top, from behind, from the wings. When you never actually win a matchup and gain a step Its all going to give you the same results of nothing gained and a pass to the adjacent man on the outside so he can also give it a shot or move the ball along to the next guy. Admittedly I do think the guys who end up on the inside during a set are perhaps a little more stagnant off ball than they should be but its hard to do a backdoor cut or find space when the guy covering you doesn't have much concern that he might need to slide somewhere.
I'm not sure what Milliman meant by that quote, but I can tell you this was the exact strategy Rutgers used against Ohio St. prior to the Hopkins game. Next to no sliding and force Hopkins players to win individual match ups. In talking to some of R players, as the game wore on, there was more and more belief that Hopkins didn't possess the ability to do that with any regularity.

It seems obvious that Hopkins lacks speed and athleticism. According to people in this thread, that's being addressed through recruitment, so the staff must see this soft spot too. Being the case, seeing two great athletes that were at Hopkins and left for Uva and Maryland is a headscratcher.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

primitiveskills wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:30 pm
Wheels wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:59 am Just a quick note about Benson. A lot of people credit Benson with Maryland's current offense, which is understandable. However, Tillman and Reppert installed this offense after the 2019 UVA loss in the quarterfinals because they thought the Terps had become too predictable. You saw this current version of the offense debut in the 2020 COVID year. This isn't to say that Benson has not done great things as the OC at Maryland. He has. By all accounts, the players love playing for him. But the offense at Maryland has zero in common with the offenses he ran at Hop. None. Nada. Zilch.

What he coaches at Maryland now is more conceptual and player IQ-related. His EMO units run more patterns like he ran at Hop.
At Maryland, Benson has the luxury of having a set of very high IQ players who understand how devastating simple variations of "pass and move" can be, and players who are very active and intuitive off-ball. To his credit, he understands this and lets the guys play (many coach's egos would have them over-engineer this; he doesn't). He admitted, I think, after the first couple of games this year (when they were already averaging a kajillion goals a game!) that they hadn't run a single designed play. That said, I think he's one of the best out there in rolling out a great designed play when absolutely required. Look no further than the GWG drawn up for Hopkins' come-from-behind win over GT in the NCAAT and the game-tying goal for Maryland against ND in the NCAA QF last year (the same play, actually!). In fact, that game against ND was a perfect encapsulation: the designed game-tying goal followed by the OT winner, which was DeMaio setting a dummy pick for a simple give-and-go. That was Benson's gift as an OC encapsulated in a couple of minutes.
Totally agree. He is a great coach and has absolutely been able to coach players. He does have the luxury now of coaching players not at the play or position level but at the concept level. Clearly, he's done a fantastic job with that. I'm sure every OC would love to be able to operate at that level of analysis because it's really true coaching at that point. Making an impact on each player.
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

had senior night after the game. It's going to
be even harder for the Blue Jays as far as
recruiting.
The sport of lacrosse has become more
widespread throughout the country and few
teams dominate the way Johns Hopkins
once did. It's hard for the Blue Jays to
compete in the Big Ten with teams like Ohio
State, Penn State, Maryland and Michigan,
which have big-time facilities and major
college football programs.
The lure of those golden days when Johns
Hopkins dominated is gone, and the Blue
Jays program has started to fade with it.
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

I stated this before. Theory seems to be shared.
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

flalax22 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:36 pm
ColumbiaBlueBlack wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:15 pm How many of you were actually at the game??? How many of you who were actually at the game, then stayed the entire game? How of many of you who stayed the entire game, then stayed in the stands AFTER the game?? If you are among the latter, then when did you realize that the Senior Day "celebration" was taking place?? It took me a while.

If ever there was a plain demonstration of incompetence, whether on the part of the Coach, and/or AD, and/or a Little Sht of a President, then having Senior Day AFTER the game was it. What the FCK??? You have a day when guys like Jessie Schwartzman and Joel Tinney were in the house, and you relegate what should be a celebration, an honoring, a thank-you, a hey-win-or-lose-you-are-part-of-a-very-long-tradition-you-are-one-of-us to an after thought when there were more Twerp fans milling around than anyone else (The Band stayed). I felt compelled to apologize to the parents of one senior. It's NOT how anyone should do it (I do not give one rat's ass if that's how Cornell did it, which I doubt they did). That was humiliating. That was insulting. That was just plain fking incompetent, stupid, dumb, moronic ... [you fill in the descriptors]. That smells to me like a Little Sht trying to kill something that I have loved for a very long time. I once ran a minor "Tony Mean$ No Mony" campaign. I'm tempted again.
I’m glad someone said it. Senior Day festivities take place before the game. PM has changed it to post game. Humiliating defeat, then they have to wait while Maryland parades the Rivalry Crab around Homewood and oh hey let’s now celebrate our seniors. Absolutely embarrassing. The fact that Coach Koesterer hasn’t clued PM into some of the traditions says something of this coaching staff dynamic
I know for a fact it was suppose to be before the game. Changed to afterwards ( for whatever reason?? ) night before.
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

Times change. Could Hopkins be a D3 program 15 years from now?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

JHU Men's Lacrosse @jhumenslacrosse NEWS | Details for Saturday's (Apr. 30) @B1GLacrosse QF game at Homewood Field:
The @B1GLacrosse QF games will not be televised. Live streams only. #GoHop
https://www.centennialconference.tv/hopkinssports/

Glenn Clark @GlennClarkRadio "You're down 22-4 on your home field against your arch rival...the gap in talent has never been more balanced towards Maryland than it is right now. If you're Hopkins, you can't be thrilled with being 6-8 and a fourth place team in your conference. It fails to live up to the standard set there even in the big ten era when they haven't been that great. There are some defensive limitations that precede PM. He's 10-17, there will be a spotlight on him next year. 2022 was a better season in aggregate but there was more promise at the end of last season." @D1scourse on UMD/JHU lacrosse rivalry Starts at 1 hour and 9 minutes in.
https://twitter.com/GlennClarkRadio

Probably the only 90 seconds everyone can agree on there.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:50 pm JHU Men's Lacrosse @jhumenslacrosse NEWS | Details for Saturday's (Apr. 30) @B1GLacrosse QF game at Homewood Field:

Glenn Clark @GlennClarkRadio "You're down 22-4 on your home field against your arch rival...the gap in talent has never been more balanced towards Maryland than it is right now. If you're Hopkins, you can't be thrilled with being 6-8 and a fourth place team in your conference. It fails to live up to the standard set there even in the big ten era when they haven't been that great. There are some defensive limitations that precede PM. He's 10-17, there will be a spotlight on him next year. 2022 was a better season in aggregate but there was more promise at the end of last season." @D1scourse on UMD/JHU lacrosse rivalry Starts at 1 hour and 9 minutes in.
https://twitter.com/GlennClarkRadio

Probably the only 90 seconds everyone can agree on there.
06 you're wasting your time trying to educate the experts on here.
"Everything's fine. Nothing to see here."
LOL
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Noticed that 13 of Maryland’s goals against Hopkins were scored by three transfers.

If Coach Milliman is aggressive on the transfer portal, he could increase the talent level on the Hopkins roster fairly quickly, as Rutgers and Maryland have done in recent years. More importantly, he could bring the right kind of talent and skills for his preferred playing style. I think he may need to do just that and get more aggressive in recruiting the right transfers.

Coach Milliman needs to show improvement pretty quickly next season. I suspect he will get at least two more seasons (maybe more) to prove himself.

But if he actually wants to enjoy his job rather than simply survive in it, he will need to do everything he can to bring the right talent to Homewood.

He won’t have time to build the program through individual recruiting classes, not in this new era of free agency.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

There are definitely still 5th year Covid year transfers out there
Doc,

and not just in DI,

what about someone like Sam Handley ?
He may have two years eligibility remaining.

Handley would fit the,
larger more athletic player type Milliman and Jr seem to be
pursuing.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:27 pm There are definitely still 5th year Covid year transfers out there
Doc,

and not just in DI,

Handley would fit the,
pursuing.
If Handley does enter the portal, every ACC and Big Ten program (plus Georgetown and Denver) will give him a call.

There is some other good offensive talent in the portal now, with more expected to enter after the season. Dylan Watson, Brian Minicus, Austin Madronic, Darian Cook, Derrek Madonna are the headliners.

For all the perceived drama, no notable Hopkins players have entered the portal (yet). I assume some will once the season is over. Interested to see which ones. I have a feeling it might not be the ones some are expecting, but we'll see.

Post by 1766 »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:23 pm Noticed that 13 of Maryland’s goals against Hopkins were scored by three transfers.

If Coach Milliman is aggressive on the transfer portal, he could increase the talent level on the Hopkins roster fairly quickly, as Rutgers and Maryland have done in recent years. More importantly, he could bring the right kind of talent and skills for his preferred playing style. I think he may need to do just that and get more aggressive in recruiting the right transfers.

Coach Milliman needs to show improvement pretty quickly next season. I suspect he will get at least two more seasons (maybe more) to prove himself.

But if he actually wants to enjoy his job rather than simply survive in it, he will need to do everything he can to bring the right talent to Homewood.

He won’t have time to build the program through individual recruiting classes, not in this new era of free agency.

DocBarrister
I won't say whom but Rutgers already has at least 3 transfers lined up, two of whom I am not sure are even in the portal, with hooks in a few more. Should be an interesting offseason. Let the games begin!
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:50 pm JHU Men's Lacrosse @jhumenslacrosse NEWS | Details for Saturday's (Apr. 30) @B1GLacrosse QF game at Homewood Field:

I guess lax is the Rodney Dangerfield sport in the BiG. The BigNetwork is showing replays of last year's football games on Thursday, and women's lax Thurs night. (I wonder if they'll be wearing sweatpants to the night game!)
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:27 pm There are definitely still 5th year Covid year transfers out there
Doc,

and not just in DI,

Handley would fit the,
pursuing.
No doubt, Handley would be perfect. Massive (6 ft 5 in, 230 lbs), and averaging nearly five points a game. He also has slightly more assists than goals, making him more than suitable for a true motion offense.

Milliman needs to bring players like Handley to Homewood. He can’t wait to develop them either. He may be out of a job if it’s going to take a few years to build the right roster.

If past recruiting battles involved early recruiting, the new battlefront is the transfer portal. The transfer portal is likely going to be far more fruitful than early recruiting could ever be, since there is more relevant performance “data” available.

I don’t think we will ever see another NCAA Division I men’s lacrosse champion who hasn’t recruited heavily through the transfer portal.

Coach Milliman has done a good job on that front, but he definitely needs to up his game and take transfer recruiting to the next level if Johns Hopkins is going to remain relevant in college lacrosse.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

1766 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:59 pm I won't say whom but Rutgers already has at least 3 transfers lined up, two of whom I am not sure are even in the portal, with hooks in a few more. Should be an interesting offseason. Let the games begin!
If that's true then Brecht has committed multiple NCAA violations. The transferring players could also lose their eligibility. Not sure I'd be talking about it publicly. As the portal becomes more common, the NCAA is going to start cracking down on these practices.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

1766 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:59 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:23 pm Noticed that 13 of Maryland’s goals against Hopkins were scored by three transfers.

DocBarrister
I won't say whom but Rutgers already has at least 3 transfers lined up, two of whom I am not sure are even in the portal, with hooks in a few more. Should be an interesting offseason. Let the games begin!
That doesn’t sound completely within the rules. ;)

Nevertheless, I think Rutgers should not be disparaged for going after transfers so aggressively.

Every team that wants to win will need to be aggressive on the transfer portal. Relying mainly on HS recruiting classes to fill your roster with key starters will almost seem foolish in a few years.

Time for the Hopkins program to, well, get with the program. I can imagine a time in the future where a quarter or third of the roster of a top Division I lacrosse program will be comprised of transfers.

There may be more and more recruits out of HS who will be kicked off the team after a season or two, not because they did anything wrong, but because their roster spot went to a more productive and proven transfer player.

Brave new world.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:53 pm
1766 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:59 pm I won't say whom but Rutgers already has at least 3 transfers lined up, two of whom I am not sure are even in the portal, with hooks in a few more. Should be an interesting offseason. Let the games begin!
If that's true then Brecht has committed multiple NCAA violations. The transferring players could also lose their eligibility. Not sure I'd be talking about it publicly. As the portal becomes more common, the NCAA is going to start cracking down on these practices.
The NCAA is going to become more and more irrelevant, even in supposedly “non-revenue” sports like lacrosse.

Even the AD of tradition-bound Notre Dame is stating publicly that certain teams and conferences in FBS football are going to break away from the NCAA.

Imagine if ESPN somehow convinces the ACC, B1G, Patriot League, and Big East lacrosse teams to break away from the NCAA and participate in a more directly lucrative FBS-like championship structure. ESPN would set up a special NIL firm that would pay every player on each team’s roster, even the bench warmers, on a set scale, with the superstars raking in big cash. The rosters will be smaller (maybe just 30 players or less on each team). Since every player will have tuition paid and earn a salary, the new ESPN-sponsored lacrosse league would be ensured of getting the best HS players (and the best of “transfers” who started out on a traditional NCAA lax team). Those that don’t live up to expectations get cut.

It would be like the PLL, except with universities attaching their names to the uniforms. They would compete for their own “national championship”, while the Ivy League and other traditional hold outs (Johns Hopkins?) play for a lesser championship under the auspices of the NCAA … akin to the NIT “championship” in basketball.

Heck, one day, there may be a “University of Virginia Men’s Lacrosse Team” or “Syracuse University Lacrosse Team” where only some (or even none) of the players are actually enrolled students at the school. (Yep, that’s actually where FBS “college” football may be heading … Alabama football played by full-time players who are not even bothering with the pretense of being college students.)

Should the schism come, Notre Dame would be among those that still tied its athletics to the educational mission of the school and answered to its president and academic administration. Others could essentially be spun off while retaining the school name and branding. A theoretical example (not proffered by Swarbrick): Oregon Ducks Athletics, Inc.

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2022/04 ... n-1-change

Despite college lacrosse’s reputation as a “non-revenue” sport, there is actually money to be made in the sport if the NCAA and its myriad of rules were simply cast aside.

It’s a dystopian future, and one I hope never comes about, because I doubt Johns Hopkins will ever play that game.

Anyway, imaginings are done for now.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Wood Sticks 4ever

Post by Wood Sticks 4ever »

OCanada wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:11 am Had Hopkins not let the coach go this years team would be better than what we have now. Next year’s team as well. Players left and recruits decommitted. Add back those players snd it becomes a different team.
I agree we would have won more this year and (likely) next year too. But here is the thing: we shouldn't be discussing whether 8-6 is better than 6-8.

The new staff is installing a new system and for a few years there will be a mismatch between player talents and system requirements. We will likely suck. But over the past ten years we have never had fewer than 5 losses and no final fours. Put another way, our ceiling is the NCAA quarter finals. Ten years of underperforming tells me that break that ceiling, you have to blow things up and that is what we are seeing.

I have no doubt JHU will eventually break thru, I'm just hoping it is in my lifetime
The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Wood Sticks 4ever wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:34 pm
OCanada wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:11 am Had Hopkins not let the coach go this years team would be better than what we have now. Next year’s team as well. Players left and recruits decommitted. Add back those players snd it becomes a different team.
I agree we would have won more this year and (likely) next year too. But here is the thing: we shouldn't be discussing whether 8-6 is better than 6-8.

The new staff is installing a new system and for a few years there will be a mismatch between player talents and system requirements. We will likely suck. But over the past ten years we have never had fewer than 5 losses and no final fours. Put another way, our ceiling is the NCAA quarter finals. Ten years of underperforming tells me that break that ceiling, you have to blow things up and that is what we are seeing.

I have no doubt JHU will eventually break thru, I'm just hoping it is in my lifetime
Uh, we were in the Final Four in 2015.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

doc,
didn't think you could have hotter takes than transformative class, top 10 yr end 2021 and by osmosis 2022 hopkins, but... kudos!!!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”