Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Sagittarius A*

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:19 pm
Uh - problem with this one - Murphy was the first to leave - so nobody was running off anyone - Murphy was gone before the '21 season. AND maybe there is food for thought in this - if Murphy was treated so unfairly - run off with no provocation - why didn't anyone else leave? Why would they stay and put up with unquestionably one of their most promising young players kicked off the team for no reason? Several of those players could have found other schools certainly by '22 - and yet by most accounts only Zinn left of his own volition.
You've answered your own question wise sage. Zinn and Baskin were next out the door.
More to come...
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Chitown wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:09 pm
And it is getting a little predictable and tiresome for all the Hopkins Haters to jump in and tell us what is wrong with our little, but much revered, University. :roll:
poor baby
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:28 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:14 pm He didn't do anything criminal but if he did what he did at Maryland, Tillman would have sent him packing before he could blink. Unless your name is Matt Rambo, Tills' tolerance for rogueries of any kind is quite low. He's a Navy guy. One reason that program is so successful is because he runs it like a goddamn ship. Don't you remember the histrionics here a few years ago from some disgruntled fans (may have been parents or former players?) about how he breaks NCAA practice time rules and treats his players like Navy SEALs? Tillman took him in because he's talented and because he had an existing relationship with Bobby Benson. That doesn't mean the kid had no say in what happened to him at Homewood or that PM wasn't justified in the course of action that he took.
So this is self contradictory right?
Tillman runs a TIGHT SHIP! He's a former NAVY guy!
But he took in this player with serious conduct problems. Right....
Sorry dude, doesn't add up.
Your star player leaves and the nation's top team takes him in, looks out for him, worries about him all week in the lead up to the game, then lets him carry the CRAB trophy around Homewood field after he just outscored you entire team, and you're happy about that?
Either you ran him off which was stupid and antithetical to your goals, or he was run off over your strong objections.
If the first case you are a FAILURE as a coach. In the second case, your resume hits the internet.
I don't think it would be hard for PM to convince anyone in the lacrosse community that RD is a douche and the he didn't get the support he needed.
I didn't say "serious conduct problems," nor did I say or imply I was "happy" about any of this. You're becoming worse than 06 at this point, just try for me one time to make a post without setting up a straw man.

Tillman does run a tight ship, ask literally any recent Maryland alum or parent. I have no problem with it whatsoever. It's not everyone's cup of tea but obviously it's working for them. To draw out this military analogy, they accept all kinds of people who have made mistakes before or perhaps weren't the right fit in whatever they were doing before. But if you keep messing up after you put on the uniform, that's a different story. Running a tight ship is not mutually exclusive from giving a kid another chance. And, again, the fact he was brought in elsewhere does not mean the parting of ways should not have happened. What are we even talking about here? You have absolutely no clue what happened.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:30 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:19 pm
Uh - problem with this one - Murphy was the first to leave - so nobody was running off anyone - Murphy was gone before the '21 season. AND maybe there is food for thought in this - if Murphy was treated so unfairly - run off with no provocation - why didn't anyone else leave? Why would they stay and put up with unquestionably one of their most promising young players kicked off the team for no reason? Several of those players could have found other schools certainly by '22 - and yet by most accounts only Zinn left of his own volition.
You've answered your own question wise sage. Zinn and Baskin were next out the door.
More to come...
Baskin wanted to stay FYI oh not so wise sage
Zinn - ehhh - 2.5 years of disappointing production. I am sure we can find multiple posts from one of your Sybils that wanted to get rid of him. So he takes his athleticism to UVA and the 2 time defending national champs - he didn't leave for Detroit Mercy.

You also notice that Murphy didn't leave Hopkins until the calendar flipped to '21. He did not play for anyone in '21. So Tillman had an entire year before the '22 season to make sure things were OK (no unauthorized fly-overs with Penny Benjamin) AND as '16 correctly points out he had B squared to vouch for him. That's a Top Gun joke and not meant to imply anything about the Murphy situation.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:14 pm
I can't overstate how nice the area that the Carey Business School is in is. It's not exactly Wharton reputation-wise but that could become a selling point for transfers. I'd *love* to live in Harbor East or Fell's Point for a year as a 22-year-old, directly on the water surrounded by bars. The school offers a bunch of interesting 1-year masters programs in addition to an MBA.
Come on, give me a break. The Carey Business School is only in the same universe as Wharton if you were comparing they have books and teach something about business. They are no where near the same type of school. They are each trying to accomplish two separate things. I know Hopkins want to promote CBS as some great thing but it is just your typical post-grad MS diploma mill for 30+ years olds seeking to add to their certificates on the resume. Wharton is decidedly not. And there is nothing wrong with what CBS does. I bet CBS is probably the most profitable (by percentage) school at Hopkins. It isn't a place where 23 year old that is looking to get a good job on Wall Street is going to go for his post-grad year.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:23 am
Big Dog wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:18 am
Homer wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:24 am
Big Dog wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:49 pm
small nit, but BU is not in the same academic class as Georgetown and Hopkins. Moreover, you are cherry-picking FBS football, as Georgetown is D1 in the 23 sports that they offer, but football is FCS, just like the Ivies.
I agree with all this, but I'm honestly trying not to cherry-pick. I'm trying to create a reasonable reference class, with the understanding that no two schools are identical. If we accept both your caveats, Hopkins ends up with no comparators at all, because the only other school with D1 mlax and D3 football is Hobart, and Hobart is (ducks to avoid eggs) "not in the same academic class as Georgetown and Hopkins."

I guess my underlying assumption here is that schools with FCS football have more in common with schools with D3 football, at least as far as the resources they have available for D1 lacrosse, than either has in common with a school like Maryland or Ohio State. If you prefer, we could look only at non-football schools, and relax the academic requirement such that the reference group is BU, Denver, Loyola, and (Lord help us) Drexel.

My point is, let's not cherry-pick in the other direction and create a class of "schools that can't succeed in D1 lacrosse" that's gerrymandered to only include Hopkins.
Agree, homer, but I also think Hop is unique. Yes, athletes are attracted first and foremost for the coach (just like a research wannabe heads for the PI that is the best fit), playing time, and a chance to win. That said, campus culture has to factor in somewhere. (With no disrespect to Hobart), all of Hopkins competitors for lacrosse talent are D1 (and/or 1AA football). And when visiting a campus, that difference can be palpable. I've toured a bunch of colleges with my kids, and after spending 3-4 hours wandering around and talking to current students & faculty, one can get an inkling of how much sports is valued (or tolerated, or barely condoned). How much that factors into a lax recruit's decision-making, I have no idea, but I do think it is not zero. Then the question becomes, other than great coaching, what else can Hop offer to be more attractive to 18-year old athletes to make a Research (capital 'R', as founded by Johns) university a top destination?
what did toomey have to offer kids when he put together loyolas title team? Galloway at jacksonville?
Not Hopkins academic peer group. (both have ~80% admit rate, and average test scores well below the Hop's lowest quartile.)
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

steel_hop wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:55 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:14 pm
I can't overstate how nice the area that the Carey Business School is in is. It's not exactly Wharton reputation-wise but that could become a selling point for transfers. I'd *love* to live in Harbor East or Fell's Point for a year as a 22-year-old, directly on the water surrounded by bars. The school offers a bunch of interesting 1-year masters programs in addition to an MBA.
Come on, give me a break. The Carey Business School is only in the same universe as Wharton if you were comparing they have books and teach something about business. They are no where near the same type of school. They are each trying to accomplish two separate things. I know Hopkins want to promote CBS as some great thing but it is just your typical post-grad MS diploma mill for 30+ years olds seeking to add to their certificates on the resume. Wharton is decidedly not. And there is nothing wrong with what CBS does. I bet CBS is probably the most profitable (by percentage) school at Hopkins. It isn't a place where 23 year old that is looking to get a good job on Wall Street is going to go for his post-grad year.
Wharton also offers other credentials, also highly profitable for the school, but it would take somebody exceptional to play a D-I sport while getting a real, full-time Wharton MBA. That is the different universe from CBS.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

I’d love to move on but this quote from QK brought me back to the edge “While Maryland celebrated on the sideline after the win with their adoring fans hanging over the fence and soaking up success over their rival, Hopkins held a senior day ceremony, one of the most poorly timed tributes I’ve ever seen at a sporting event. It was like conducting a wedding at a funeral”

Disappointed in this staff.
willowglen

Post by willowglen »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:05 pm
willowglen wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:23 pm There are circumstances where athletic scholarships help over the Ivies. . My father was well off and there was no way I was qualified for aid at Princeton, my first choice. He was an incredibly abusive guy so I was not particularly bothered by his complete abandonment of the family. My mother was in ill health and hospitaized. I was a good student and ranked in the top 5 in the nation, so yes an athletic scholarship at Duke was very welcome. I wanted to look seriously at D 3 and Hopkins and Williams were serious options. With high poverty and stress I believed I could win NCAA at D3 without the full time job of being a professional athlete. Again, no way to get aid unless I lived on my own for several years. Not something I had the maturity to do.

Hopkins is just as good if not more attractive academically than half of the Ivy League. And there is no difference between Duke and JHU - all comes down to fit. I was a poor abused geek,, so Duke had its challenges socially but I could not be choosy. Look at sport like women 's XC, where Hopkins has 7 recent titles. Those women are choosing Hopkins over Williams, Amherst and Bowdoin. And they make this choice even though JHU like most city schools is not an ideal running environment. It makes sense to me, though. I am not sure I understand the attraction of Maryland though. For a good student athlete, JHU makes so much more sense.
hmmm, that would be a pretty darn rare circumstance, but thanks for explaining it...would that have been recent? I suspect that (if a kid was mature enough to actually make the pitch), these days the Ivies (or Hopkins) would have understood the situation and made the financial, need based aid work. Not necessary for an athletic schollie...but of course, extremely few full rides go out anyway through the athletic route...much more likely to get substantial aid through need based. Bloomberg's dough has made Hopkins competitive in this way with the Ivies.
My circumstance was in 1980. But having sent kids to Princeton and Duke, they expect kids with parents with upper middle class incomes to pay, even if a parent is bad news. One never knows, but a place like JHU may today be more flexible - I was a 4:05 miler in high school with a 1500 SAT - I never thought I was all that great but I could see a great Division 3 school like JHU being more flexible than the Ivies. My mother was dick, poor and homeless for a while. I liked Baltimore. When I was 14 the most well known sports doctor in the nation, Dr Gabe Mirkin, sponsored a national age group meet (paid for my expenses) which I won at Towson’s then mediocre track. I am from the Midwest, and found JHU much like Chicago’s best asset - the University of Chicago. Dr Mirkin made sure to mention JHU.

I don’t like the prejudice against athletes at select schools. I felt it at Duke, and I believed I could hold my own academically with anyone. My brother, an All American at UNC and Phi Beta Kappa in math, felt the same way. I went on to one of the best law schools in the nation and finished at the absolute top of the class. There again was some bias against me by my fellow wonky law reviewers but they had little concept of the notion that no matter our test scores that dedicated athletes were very very good at time management- a skill that can take you far. Plus, especially in a sport like lacrosse- a sense of keen urgency obtains. I would put a positive gloss on any dedicated JHU lacrosse athlete.

I laugh at the girls in sweat pants snarky comments about the JHU women. Us dorky track athletes back in the day would have been in heaven to have women like this as friends, and would have felt privileged around them, sweat pants or not.

Lacrosse requires toughness and a proper sense of physical dominance, This is not incompatible with being a great student, and for me I hope JHU can rise sgdin.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:14 pm Of course PM wanted Donville. He coached him to All-American seasons at Cornell in 2020 and 2021. Donville wants to be a journalist and Maryland offers a pretty good program with the chance to win a national championship. No one was going to compete with that. If he wanted to get into medicine/public health instead maybe he'd have come to Homewood.

Not like they haven't used the portal. They've brought in six guys (plus Delaney), unfortunately two (Fernandez and Maher) have had serious injuries. A smart person sees that and thinks hm, they're clearly not opposed to the portal, they probably tried — like many other teams — to get a couple more guys in but were beat out by Maryland/Georgetown. A not smart person sees they brought in 7 guys and believes those must have been the only 7 they spoke to and that they had no interest in anyone else.
Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:58 pm Whatever Murphy did, it couldn't have been that bad or Tillman wouldn't have taken him in.
He didn't do anything criminal but if he did what he did at Maryland, Tillman would have sent him packing before he could blink. Unless your name is Matt Rambo, Tills' tolerance for rogueries of any kind is quite low. He's a Navy guy. One reason that program is so successful is because he runs it like a goddamn ship. Don't you remember the histrionics here a few years ago from some disgruntled fans (may have been parents or former players?) about how he breaks NCAA practice time rules and treats his players like Navy SEALs? Tillman took him in because he's talented and because he had an existing relationship with Bobby Benson. That doesn't mean the kid had no say in what happened to him at Homewood or that PM wasn't justified in the course of action that he took.
was it rambo or heacock who was on Rabil's pod drunk last year? And yes the defining images of maryland remain those riots they had after basketball games. When people think terp u they think riots, basketball that was always an also ran to duke/unc in the acc and a school no one in the big ten understands why it's there. Lacrosse fans know they've had a few good years of late, but there's not a national reputation of any sort of greatness athletically, academics, alumni or campus wise.

I've noticed 16 you and your pals on here are awfully quiet about your defense after last weekend. Lilly was smoked early, a sign of things to come.

We should always play the best schedules and seek to dominate them. No reason to ever lose against delaware, at home to navy or get cooked to the terps like that.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:43 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:14 pm Of course PM wanted Donville. He coached him to All-American seasons at Cornell in 2020 and 2021. Donville wants to be a journalist and Maryland offers a pretty good program with the chance to win a national championship. No one was going to compete with that. If he wanted to get into medicine/public health instead maybe he'd have come to Homewood.

Not like they haven't used the portal. They've brought in six guys (plus Delaney), unfortunately two (Fernandez and Maher) have had serious injuries. A smart person sees that and thinks hm, they're clearly not opposed to the portal, they probably tried — like many other teams — to get a couple more guys in but were beat out by Maryland/Georgetown. A not smart person sees they brought in 7 guys and believes those must have been the only 7 they spoke to and that they had no interest in anyone else.
Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:58 pm Whatever Murphy did, it couldn't have been that bad or Tillman wouldn't have taken him in.
He didn't do anything criminal but if he did what he did at Maryland, Tillman would have sent him packing before he could blink. Unless your name is Matt Rambo, Tills' tolerance for rogueries of any kind is quite low. He's a Navy guy. One reason that program is so successful is because he runs it like a goddamn ship. Don't you remember the histrionics here a few years ago from some disgruntled fans (may have been parents or former players?) about how he breaks NCAA practice time rules and treats his players like Navy SEALs? Tillman took him in because he's talented and because he had an existing relationship with Bobby Benson. That doesn't mean the kid had no say in what happened to him at Homewood or that PM wasn't justified in the course of action that he took.
was it rambo or heacock who was on Rabil's pod drunk last year? And yes the defining images of maryland remain those riots they had after basketball games. When people think terp u they think riots, basketball that was always an also ran to duke/unc in the acc and a school no one in the big ten understands why it's there. Lacrosse fans know they've had a few good years of late, but there's not a national reputation of any sort of greatness athletically, academics, alumni or campus wise.

I've noticed 16 you and your pals on here are awfully quiet about your defense after last weekend. Lilly was smoked early, a sign of things to come.

We should always play the best schedules and seek to dominate them. No reason to ever lose against delaware, at home to navy or get cooked to the terps like that.

Cringe. Okay now you are just starting to sound like a sore loser.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:43 pm I've noticed 16 you and your pals on here are awfully quiet about your defense after last weekend. Lilly was smoked early, a sign of things to come.
Yes the D got smoked by the best team in the country, who has smoked everyone. Wanna know something fun? Maryland has had even better offensive performances this year. They were more efficient against Loyola, Michigan, and, get ready for this one, defending national champion Virginia. Evaluating a defense based solely on its performance against this historically good Maryland offense is asinine even for you, who has made being asinine your full-time job. While we're handing out L's, how'd Bobby Benson's offense do? You know, the guy you complained about every single year despite him routinely coordinating top 10 offenses for us. Remember that guy? Anyone know if he's doing ok?

Post by 1766 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:43 pm

Maryland is in the B1G because of money. Everyone understands why they are there. They are very welcome because of it.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

I liked the athletes when I was there. Dated some, was friends with many and thought frankly they brought some life and normalcy to campus. A lot of the women volleyball and basketball players were in ROTC which is a great story that Homewood does not tell enough especially w/respect to the student athletes in the program.

Your defense got shredded in historic fashion HF16.

23 months I can't name a single improved offensive player, new talent or win thanks to Grant jr. Even in Bensons ugly days we had shooters and a lethal manup.
Wood Sticks 4ever

Post by Wood Sticks 4ever »

masondixonlax wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:14 pm PM needs more time to be fully evaluated. I think in due time he will turn out to be a good coach. Now the only two weird and unexplainable things to me about PM which did make me question him some was

A. The Epstein situation. Just weird how he handled it but then again I am not on the inside and don't know any details but from an outsider prospective it's been well... weird
B. The senior day post game celebration. I am 99% positive he learned from his mistake but won't know until next seasons final.

Other than that, I think he did the best he could with his roster. Takes time for culture to build
+1
The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:23 pm I liked the athletes when I was there. Dated some
No you didn't, you tried and failed and still hate them for it 20 years later and cry about it on a lacrosse message board
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:31 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:23 pm I liked the athletes when I was there. Dated some
No you didn't, you tried and failed and still hate them for it 20 years later and cry about it on a lacrosse message board
Damn sweat pants got em’
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

flalax22 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:51 pm I’d love to move on but this quote from QK brought me back to the edge “While Maryland celebrated on the sideline after the win with their adoring fans hanging over the fence and soaking up success over their rival, Hopkins held a senior day ceremony, one of the most poorly timed tributes I’ve ever seen at a sporting event. It was like conducting a wedding at a funeral”

Disappointed in this staff.
The staff must not have the same high quartile test scores it requires of its own players.
ColumbiaBlueBlack

Post by ColumbiaBlueBlack »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:19 pmSo I typed a word incorrectly - if that was a crime O'Canada would be in Guantanomo.
"Would"? The operative should be, if I recall correctly, pluperfect tense, as in "should."
---------------------------
Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.
https://despair.com/products/compromise
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

i have a question if anyone knows... were most students not wearing sweatpants back then?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”