Maryland 2022

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Maryland 2022

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

tothedraw wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:50 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:23 pm
Maryland75 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:14 am Maryland I believe has shown that it is back in the mix. There has been talk about how they would fair when Northwestern face guarded Cordingly and that was answered yesterday. They have plenty of offensive weapons and their defense along with Sterling as gk was superb. I don’t know how far they’ll go in the tournament but they are a joy to watch.
Essexfenwick wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:48 am Terps are back.

They play a different type game than the others. They bait the defense into falling for a number of sneaky goals. They have a higher lacrosse IQ much like the men’s team. They are good at dodging but equally good at moving, picking and passing. They also have more speed than any other team. The swagger is back and the lower ranked they are… the more dangerous they are. They play happy and loose.
I have to say, I'm becoming a believer in this team and Reese's system. Plus when you have a goaltender like Sterling, if she continues to play like that, a team can go places. I don't know what the postseason will bring, but they sure look like they're putting it all together at just the right time. Not to say I want them to win, mind. But I have to respect what they're doing on the field. As I said in another place, if they played JMU this week they'd win fairly easily, regardless of the venue. What are opposing teams going to do now--FG Cordingley, Leubecker and May? As much as it pains me to say, I now consider them a legitimate threat to win it all in '22.
Fascinating - you loudly criticized the staff for "dodging" opponents. I said maybe they are positioning themselves for long term success with a transfer load heavy team who had taken their licks the last few years. Getting their heads handed to them early by the ACC wasn't going to build confidence or protect from injury. It's also way different for coaches to scout and prep a game plan based on film versus live play. Let the ACC eat their own and just worry about NU to get to the tournament in a good position.
I still criticize them for choosing weaker opponents this year, just like I criticize Duke for it. So what.

As to my thoughts on Maryland and how they're playing this year and their chances in The Tournament--with changing situations come changing perspectives. Big deal.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:28 pm
Maryland75 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:14 am Maryland I believe has shown that it is back in the mix. There has been talk about how they would fair when Northwestern face guarded Cordingly and that was answered yesterday. They have plenty of offensive weapons and their defense along with Sterling as gk was superb. I don’t know how far they’ll go in the tournament but they are a joy to watch.

They play a different type game than the others. They bait the defense into falling for a number of sneaky goals. They have a higher lacrosse IQ much like the men’s team. They are good at dodging but equally good at moving, picking and passing. They also have more speed than any other team. The swagger is back and the lower ranked they are… the more dangerous they are. They play happy and loose.
I have to say, I'm becoming a believer in this team and Reese's system. Plus when you have a goaltender like Sterling, if she continues to play like that, a team can go places. I don't know what the postseason will bring, but they sure look like they're putting it all together at just the right time. Not to say I want them to win, mind. But I have to respect what they're doing on the field. As I said in another place, if they played JMU this week they'd win fairly easily, regardless of the venue. What are opposing teams going to do now--FG Cordingley, Leubecker and May? As much as it pains me to say, I now consider them a legitimate threat to win it all in '22.
Fascinating - you loudly criticized the staff for "dodging" opponents. I said maybe they are positioning themselves for long term success with a transfer load heavy team who had taken their licks the last few years. Getting their heads handed to them early by the ACC wasn't going to build confidence or protect from injury. It's also way different for coaches to scout and prep a game plan based on film versus live play. Let the ACC eat their own and just worry about NU to get to the tournament in a good position.
I still criticize them for choosing weaker opponents this year, just like I criticize Duke for it. So what.

As to my thoughts on Maryland and how they're playing this year and their chances in The Tournament--with changing situations come changing perspectives. Big deal.
I said fascinating, not that you couldn't hold that opinion. I'm saying that some of us saw exactly what these coaches were doing to put their team in the best spot late and didn't overly criticize the method to then turn around and say " hey, they could win it all"!
Simply forum fodder, nothing more.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Matnum PI wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:44 pm I'm sure someone else already wrote this but... Does anyone even have a shot at beating the Terps? There closest win was by 2 over Notre Dame and this was on March 5th. Syracuse was by 4 on February 20th. Every other game is a blow-out. I get that anything could happen on any given Saturday but... Who has even a shot at beating them?
Matnum, this is the thread for the Lady Terps haha
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:46 pm Matnum, this is the thread for the Lady Terps haha
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
njbill

Post by njbill »

Matnum is gender fluid.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

njbill wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:15 pm Matnum is gender fluid.
Don't get yourself cancelled Bill, we missed you too much the last time you took a hiatus!
OuttaNowhereWregget

tothedraw wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:02 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:28 pm

I said fascinating, not that you couldn't hold that opinion. I'm saying that some of us saw exactly what these coaches were doing to put their team in the best spot late and didn't overly criticize the method to then turn around and say " hey, they could win it all"!
Simply forum fodder, nothing more.
Gotcha. Apologies for the quick draw assumption.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

MD might be that team to beat UNC. Maybe even on Memorial day weekend.
Caddy Day
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:17 pm MD might be that team to beat UNC. Maybe even on Memorial day weekend.
Debbie Harry: “Dreaming is free.”
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:17 pm MD might be that team to beat UNC. Maybe even on Memorial day weekend.
If they put UMD in UNCs bracket for a quarter final or final 4… UNC will be worried. They only want to play UMD in the final because they know it will be a titanic battle.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Essexfenwick wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:10 pm If they put UMD in UNCs bracket for a quarter final or final 4… UNC will be worried. They only want to play UMD in the final because they know it will be a titanic battle.
Along the same lines, I think (good) teams learn from their wins and, especially, losses throughout the season. UNC has improved over the season. But i think MD has improved more. Due to their Ws and Ls and... MD may be that team...
Caddy Day
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Essexfenwick wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:10 pm
If they put UMD in UNCs bracket for a quarter final or final 4… UNC will be worried. They only want to play UMD in the final because they know it will be a titanic battle.
There's now a printable version of the 2022 bracket on the NCAA website: https://www.ncaa.com/news/lacrosse-wome ... racket-pdf

For UMD and UNC to meet in the quarterfinals, assuming UNC gets either the 1 or 2 seed, UMD would have to drop to 7 or 8 - so it looks like a semi final matchup would be more likely
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Funny since Maryland didn’t want to play UNC this year - at all 😆
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:43 pm
There's now a printable version of the 2022 bracket on the NCAA website: https://www.ncaa.com/news/lacrosse-wome ... racket-pdf

For UMD and UNC to meet in the quarterfinals, assuming UNC gets either the 1 or 2 seed, UMD would have to drop to 7 or 8 - so it looks like a semi final matchup would be more likely
I think if UConn manages to beat Denver in their conf games that will def mess with top 8 standings
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Laxfan500 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:06 pm

I think if UConn manages to beat Denver in their conf games that will def mess with top 8 standings
That may be...just assuming there aren't any major upsets in the conference tournaments (which there very well could be) I don't see UNC dropping past 1 or 2 and UMD dropping to 7 or 8 which would set up a meeting between the two before the semi-finals
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:25 pm

That may be...just assuming there aren't any major upsets in the conference tournaments (which there very well could be) I don't see UNC dropping past 1 or 2 and UMD dropping to 7 or 8 which would set up a meeting between the two before the semi-finals
Unless ND beats Duke which I don’t see…otherwise Maryland and NU - both will stay about where they are . If Denver loses 7,8 move up . That helps Stony Brook who prob does not want to be 8 seed. But again these polls are not the SOS/RPI polls so…
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

Laxfan500 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:44 pm

Unless ND beats Duke which I don’t see…otherwise Maryland and NU - both will stay about where they are . If Denver loses 7,8 move up . That helps Stony Brook who prob does not want to be 8 seed. But again these polls are not the SOS/RPI polls so…
I don't think anything could happen to drop UNC past 2 or MD past maybe 5, 6 max. And personally I think they *could* beat anybody except UNC to make it to championship weekend.

FTR I could see an 8-8 ND team beating Duke in South Bend. I think it's the most likely upset of that tournament, not counting toss-ups BC-Syracuse or Louisville-Pitt.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:17 pm
Laxfan500 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:44 pm

I don't think anything could happen to drop UNC past 2 or MD past maybe 5, 6 max. And personally I think they *could* beat anybody except UNC to make it to championship weekend.

FTR I could see an 8-8 ND team beating Duke in South Bend. I think it's the most likely upset of that tournament, not counting toss-ups BC-Syracuse or Louisville-Pitt.
It's UVA that plays Cuse, not BC. BC plays Va Tech. Lot of schools hoping that ND and UVA lose their first round games making them ineligible for the NCAAs. Would open up 2 spots.
OuttaNowhereWregget

hmmm wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:34 pm
laxagainsthumanity wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:17 pm I don't think anything could happen to drop UNC past 2 or MD past maybe 5, 6 max. And personally I think they *could* beat anybody except UNC to make it to championship weekend.

It's UVA that plays Cuse, not BC. BC plays Va Tech. Lot of schools hoping that ND and UVA lose their first round games making them ineligible for the NCAAs. Would open up 2 spots.
Obviously--laxagainst considers it a given (as do I) that BC and Syracuse will easily dispatch their quarterfinal opponents and meet in the semis--which would indeed be a tossup.

And laxagainst--I'm with you on ND/Duke. Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”