Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by 10stone5 »

Not much on the Terps being as good, without the title of course,

as any DI team in decades,
they’ve been slaughtering everyone.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:11 pm Not much on the Terps being as good, without the title of course,

Mannings colts teams, huggins cincy teams, roys jayhawks used to do this all the time-cruise through the regular season hang banners (literraly in the colts case) and flop.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I am sorry if I mis-understood but what you posted earlier seems pretty clear

"And you missed the point of my question. OF COURSE better coaches can be found. BUT can BAKER find them? And hire them? That is the question. And to that, I say no."

That statement certainly appears to be providing an assessment of her qualifications as an AD. I think she's perfectly capable of finding a good coach and hiring him. Seems to be doing OK in sports other than men's lacrosse. The bigger question RIGHT NOW is - does Hopkins have the talent to compete with best teams in the country? The answer IMO is a resounding NO. If Milliman continues to struggle over the next two years and the castle is stormed with torches and pitchforks then the bigger question will be whether the coach wants to be here rather then if Baker can find him.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:40 pm I am sorry if I mis-understood but what you posted earlier seems pretty clear

"And you missed the point of my question. OF COURSE better coaches can be found. BUT can BAKER find them? And hire them? That is the question. And to that, I say no."

That statement certainly appears to be providing an assessment of her qualifications as an AD. I think she's perfectly capable of finding a good coach and hiring him. Seems to be doing OK in sports other than men's lacrosse. The bigger question RIGHT NOW is - does Hopkins have the talent to compete with best teams in the country? The answer IMO is a resounding NO. If Milliman continues to struggle over the next two years and the castle is stormed with torches and pitchforks then the bigger question will be whether the coach wants to be here rather then if Baker can find him.
The last two years have been a disaster. It started with the administration handcuffing his program w/no fall ball, him overevaluating or undercoaching the morass of a roster he was left with and continued with the inability to execute basic xs and os like clearing and consistent offense.

There's simply no excuse for SEC football programs from regions where basic science and history are in question and whose athletes are regular defendants in their local criminal justice systems to have played all through corona while baker and daniels shut him down fall 2020.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:57 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:40 pm I am sorry if I mis-understood but what you posted earlier seems pretty clear

The last two years have been a disaster. It started with the administration handcuffing his program w/no fall ball, him overevaluating or undercoaching the morass of a roster he was left with and continued with the inability to execute basic xs and os like clearing and consistent offense.

There's simply no excuse for SEC football programs from regions where basic science and history are in question and whose athletes are regular defendants in their local criminal justice systems to have played all through corona while baker and daniels shut him down fall 2020.
Those “criminals” generate revenue. Millions of dollars. There’s plenty of great kids in those football programs too you old racist. Here’s a reality check, Not that many people give turd about John’s Hopkins lacrosse. It’s a D3 school with a great lineage and tradition in a sport that gets 1/10 the TV viewership as SEC softball. If you can’t see that then you’re delusional.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

The point was that the SEC played through the pandemic and Daniels/Baker chose to sit on the sideline and cower which PM and the people who cover the program have cited repeatedly as an issue over the last 2 years. It would do the university and program a lot of good to have the actual issues that Preston/QK and many of you have alluded to here for years between the prior and current staffs and the university brought into public view. Holding these stories back has clearly not helped.

On the teams instagram post with the crab trophy 4 days ago danny jones and a few of the other guys of the last 12 years weighed in with jabs at baker and daniels but notably chose to maintain support for the program/players.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:29 pm The point was that the SEC played through the pandemic and Daniels/Baker chose to sit on the sideline and cower which PM and the people who cover the program have cited repeatedly as an issue over the last 2 years. It would do the university and program a lot of good to have the actual issues that Preston/QK and many of you have alluded to here for years between the prior and current staffs and the university brought into public view. Holding these stories back has clearly not helped.

On the teams instagram post with the crab trophy 4 days ago danny jones and a few of the other guys of the last 12 years weighed in with jabs at baker and daniels but notably chose to maintain support for the program/players.
Look I agree that they should have and could have played in fall of 2020. However I think your losing perspective if you think that Hopkins lacrosse is looked at by it’s administration the same way SEC football is looked at by administrators. There’s plenty that they can do better in terms of managing the program from the administration down. But Hopkins is really up against it in the B1G. They’re facing bigger budgets and a sea of resources, along with the fading mystique of Hopkins Lacrosse. There’s a lot of complaints about the AD here, the hiring pool the Hopkins has to look at for that position is not even remotely comparable to what their competition has. Other B1G schools likely pay AD anywhere from 3-12x as much money (don’t know her salary, but most B1G ADs make between 800k-1.6m). I just think that the Hopkins faithful have a false reality about what this program can really be year in and year out. And although Hopkins is an amazing academic school, for some reason the highest academic kids still seem to prioritize the Ivy in the recruiting process.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:04 am jhu06, you are a f*ing d*k
Doc, now that you got that out of your system... Chill. No personal attacks.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:40 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:29 pm The point was that the SEC played through the pandemic and Daniels/Baker chose to sit on the sideline and cower which PM and the people who cover the program have cited repeatedly as an issue over the last 2 years. It would do the university and program a lot of good to have the actual issues that Preston/QK and many of you have alluded to here for years between the prior and current staffs and the university brought into public view. Holding these stories back has clearly not helped.

Look I agree that they should have and could have played in fall of 2020. However I think your losing perspective if you think that Hopkins lacrosse is looked at by it’s administration the same way SEC football is looked at by administrators. There’s plenty that they can do better in terms of managing the program from the administration down. But Hopkins is really up against it in the B1G. They’re facing bigger budgets and a sea of resources, along with the fading mystique of Hopkins Lacrosse. There’s a lot of complaints about the AD here, the hiring pool the Hopkins has to look at for that position is not even remotely comparable to what their competition has. Other B1G schools likely pay AD anywhere from 3-12x as much money (don’t know her salary, but most B1G ADs make between 800k-1.6m). I just think that the Hopkins faithful have a false reality about what this program can really be year in and year out. And although Hopkins is an amazing academic school, for some reason the highest academic kids still seem to prioritize the Ivy in the recruiting process.
I mean no offense to Hopkins but if I had my option to choose between Hopkins or an IVY, I am choosing an IVY 100% of the time.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:11 pm Not much on the Terps being as good, without the title of course,

Terps are the cream right now, but beating ND by 2 and a struggling SU team by 4 cannot be considered “slaughters”. B1G ain’t exactly stacked presently, either ;)
molo

Post by molo »

Anyone calling for the return of Zim is showing his or her age.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:04 am
jhu06 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:03 pm No sense in keeping any of the current srs next year for grad years. Should be 20 guys at least seeing their last games at homewood this week. Won't be missed. PM has a big offseason ahead.

HF16 had a really confident few months, I wish his "underrated defense" narrative well.
I am certain the Administrator will suspend me for this (and I have never been suspended before), but it is worth it because of the way you denigrate our players, whom I am certain put a lot of time, effort, soul, and heart into the program.

So here goes …

… jhu06, you are a f*cking d*ck.

Thank you. That is all.

See you all after my suspension.

DocBarrister
They're not winning players and this is a bottom line enterprise.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

The sec is a region that struggles w/basic understanding of science/history/civics and yet they were able to play through the pandemic. Hopkins could have led by showing the country that it could faceoff and maintain the health of its student athletes and coaches at the same time and daniels and baker went full fetal mode which will always be unforgiveable.

Yeah our d3 teams have success except against mount union football-look at that column I posted last week from the rival student athlete, ursinus which most people probably think has to do with ones face, does not have the resources we do from academics to attract student athletes to endowment to a global post college brand for kids to job hunt with.
suffolk

Post by suffolk »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:52 am
51percentcorn wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:18 am Can someone put the 8 year old in timeout? It wasn't but a month or so ago Milliman was demanding results on the field and was a straight shooter. Now he can't coach his way out of a paper bag and has low EQ? How did Scott Marr's team do against Maryland? I heard that game was a barnburner - no wait - sorry producer speaking in my ear - Danes lost by 18???? Ooops. My bad. Oh and your other Baird man to coach the team - Nadelen - he's 12-21 since 2020.
The whole EQ thing may be a bit over blown. Brian Kelly (Notre Dame/now LSU) was a horse’s ass. But he won a ton of football games at Notre Dame in a very similar situation (historically significant program, fallen on hard times, etc). He had them consistently in top 10 and went to multiple CFP. I don’t think the EQ thing is always top of list of needs. Not to mention PM is a father of two whose wife is VERY socially liberal. Do we REALLY think his EQ is that low? Or do some of you just not care of this personality? Again, those are two very different things.
I am trying to figure out what the hell having a wife who is “quote very socially liberal” has to do with being a good hire for Hop or for having success on the field?
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

masondixonlax wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:44 pm

I mean no offense to Hopkins but if I had my option to choose between Hopkins or an IVY, I am choosing an IVY 100% of the time.
or, for a high academic kid who desires the full D1 collegiate experience, Duke. (Need-based financial aid is better at HYP, however, so even upper middle class kids could get some sort of discount from the Ancient Eight.)
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Skimmed the last few pages, almost nothing merits a direct response. I do have a few general thoughts and observations — I was at the game, my first time back at Homewood in a couple of years.

- Crowd/environment/atmosphere was great, even in a humiliating loss. The TV cameras point at the visitors sideline so it looks like the vast majority of fans are in red but it was probably closer to 60/40 in Maryland's favor. Home side was packed as well, 7k+ attendance
- Campus is absolutely beautiful, and the environs have improved — the new complex on St. Paul's St. is fantastic and Busboys and Poets is a terrific place to grab a bite and hang out. Fed Hill, Fell's, the Inner Harbor/Harbor East are beautiful and vibrant — the Carey Business School is in a GREAT location
- Re: the game. I do think this is probably the nadir of the Hopkins program, or close to it. Hard to think of anything worse than getting run off your own field in the rivalry game. Jays were overmatched in every possible way. That said, this Maryland team is quite simply the best I have ever seen. I've only been following college lacrosse for about 15-20 years which is a lot less than many of you but I struggle to think of another squad that is this complete. It's not just that they have no weaknesses — everything is a strength. They are inevitable.
- I didn't attend any of the Friday festivities but the Pre-game tailgate was relatively well-attended with some awesome catering from Mission BBQ. A bunch of Petro's recent guys were there despite what they may or may not be tweeting to commenting on Instagram. Baker stopped by briefly, did not see Daniels
- It's extremely rich that there are Loyola fans in here chirping the quality of the thread while they have parents of incoming recruits excoriating the coaching staff and his child's future teammates. That is more unhinged than I think anything I've ever seen in here. Some season the Hounds are having
- Overheard Benson tell Marcille "you did a good job" after the game. It was mostly against backups but saves are saves and he made a few
- The postgame seniors ceremony was indeed a fiasco. Maryland players were trying to leave the field through the same gate the parents were being escorted on through. Just kind of a sad scene all around
- Someone mentioned the possibility that if PM is run out of town, if Baker would be able to find an adequate replacement. The answer is an unequivocal no. If PM is run out of town, that is a signal to every head coach or potential head coach out there that you will not be given a fair shake at Hopkins. You will be sent packing the second things look bad due to pressure from crazed alums and you won't even be given a good-faith chance to do what you were brought in to do. What coach in his right mind would want to step into that situation? If we're in this same place after a few more years when you can honestly say you gave the guy and honest shot, then I'll be the first one calling for another change
- Yes it was Murphy who was given the honor of bringing the large wooden crab over to the Maryland team. Heard a few things about that whole situation that it's not fair to repeat here because it's hearsay but I don't think anyone here actually knows the full story of his departure
- Scott Smith can really play. I would wager that is the first and only time in Wisnauskas' career that he's ever been detwigged like that. Callahan, as others have said, is also looking promising. Other than that it was tough to find silver linings in such a clinical beatdown.

Bottom line, you move on. There's no other choice. Let's see if they can get off the mat next week
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

suffolk wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:35 pm
LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:52 am
51percentcorn wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:18 am Can someone put the 8 year old in timeout? It wasn't but a month or so ago Milliman was demanding results on the field and was a straight shooter. Now he can't coach his way out of a paper bag and has low EQ? How did Scott Marr's team do against Maryland? I heard that game was a barnburner - no wait - sorry producer speaking in my ear - Danes lost by 18???? Ooops. My bad. Oh and your other Baird man to coach the team - Nadelen - he's 12-21 since 2020.
The whole EQ thing may be a bit over blown. Brian Kelly (Notre Dame/now LSU) was a horse’s ass. But he won a ton of football games at Notre Dame in a very similar situation (historically significant program, fallen on hard times, etc). He had them consistently in top 10 and went to multiple CFP. I don’t think the EQ thing is always top of list of needs. Not to mention PM is a father of two whose wife is VERY socially liberal. Do we REALLY think his EQ is that low? Or do some of you just not care of this personality? Again, those are two very different things.
I am trying to figure out what the hell having a wife who is “quote very socially liberal” has to do with being a good hire for Hop or for having success on the field?
LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:36 am
Hail to the Victors wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:28 am
LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:52 am ...
Not to mention PM is a father of two whose wife is VERY socially liberal. Do we REALLY think his EQ is that low? Or do some of you just not care of this personality? Again, those are two very different things.
Not sure what having two kids or a "socially liberal wife" has to do with having a high EQ. Maybe I missed something in the literature...
Knowing his wife, I find it very difficult to believe she would marry and have children with someone that does not practice empathy and compassion. Both of those are the cornerstone of high EQs and the cornerstones of her political leanings. That is what I meant.
See my response to that above. In response to someone attacking his low EQ, which is laughable, I explained his family dynamic (wife, kids, and their political perspective) directly refuted that notion.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Just my humble opinion, I don’t think political leanings have anything to do with Emotional IQ - they are values based. I’m sure we all know people at both extremes of the political spectrum that have no personal sensitivity, empathy, or self-awareness whatsoever. I’d daresay it’s those at the extremes that tend to have the smallest measures of those traits.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:29 pm The point was that the SEC played through the pandemic and Daniels/Baker chose to sit on the sideline and cower which PM and the people who cover the program have cited repeatedly as an issue over the last 2 years.
I'd remind anyone who uses the excuse that their school sat out the pandemic that the Ivies did so...and are doing quite well this first year back.

Presumably a Hopkins education demands that one learns to think critically, assessing data and applying logic, to derive conclusions...this particular one does not appear to be supported by such critical thinking...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:18 pm Just my humble opinion, I don’t think political leanings have anything to do with Emotional IQ - they are values based. I’m sure we all know people at both extremes of the political spectrum that have no personal sensitivity, empathy, or self-awareness whatsoever. I’d daresay it’s those at the extremes that tend to have the smallest measures of those traits.
Likely correct. The extremes quite likely have low capacity for empathy for those with alternative views and perspectives.

However, I think that what may have been implied is that someone whose "values" include high commitment to social justice and the welfare of others over self-interest would likely choose a spouse whose 'values' were comparably concerned about others over self (regardless of political party affiliation). And that may well correlate with EQ.

Not extremes, just in general...I dunno whether that's accurate, though, but I bet that's what was meant.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”